The General Conversation Area

vashdaman said:
I haven't studied it in any depth, but the idea that we came from chimps (or chimp like animals) doesn't really overly resonate with me. Mainly due to the fact that there is such a huge gap and difference between us and our so called evolutionary family members. Why did chimps stay as they are? I don't doubt we do adapt and evolve over time, but as I said, Darwin's theory doesn't seem to make complete sense to me.
We didn't descend from chimps, we simply share a common ancestor. We are a type of Hominid, like Chimps, Gorillas, Gibbons and all the human ancestors which there is evidence for. Mutations give rise to diversity and turn one species into many, few of which survive due to the fact that only certain mutations prove beneficial to the circumstances a species later finds itself in - survival of the fittest. We and the other great apes are the survivors, but we are different because of the circumstances our ancestors found themselves in and the mutations which arose in those environments.

vashdaman said:
I can and have met individuals who have experienced the holocaust first hand, I have not seen a human evolve from a chimp. So I think it's pretty obvious which statement has more actual legitimate evidence in it's favour.
But how do you know they're telling the truth? Why are they any more reliable than me informing you that evolution is true? If the only evidence for the Holocaust were word of mouth it wouldn't be nearly so easy to believe; there is physical data in the form of the concentration camps, photographs and documentation and the lower number of Jews in Europe afterwards. Similarly what proves evolution is the physical data (all the fossils in my above link, genetic and DNA evidence etc), not me or Darwin saying so.

vashdaman said:
Look at gangbangers in LA, they all have guns and still shoot each other. No only that, but plenty of innocents get killed to boot. You clearly underestimate human ego and stupidity.
Most people don't behave like that. Even the gangbangers might not if they thought the innocent they victimised would be able to fight back, or if the police used the same tactics against them and simply shot them all.

We didn't descend from chimps, we simply share a common ancestor. We are a type of Hominid, like Chimps, Gorillas, Gibbons and all the human ancestors which there is evidence for. Mutations give rise to diversity and turn one species into many, few of which survive due to the fact that only certain mutations prove beneficial to the circumstances a species later finds itself in - survival of the fittest. We and the other great apes are the survivors, but we are different because of the circumstances our ancestors found themselves in and the mutations which arose in those environments.

Yeah I know we supposedly evolved from chimp-like animals and not chimps. But my point was, why did the chimps and Gorillas that we have today not continue to evolve at the same rate of us? Because really, aside from a number of basic traits, they are nothing like us. There is no chimp or gorilla on the planet anywhere near as sentient as us. Why aren't they at least a bit closer to us?

But how do you know they're telling the truth? Why are they any more reliable than me informing you that evolution is true? If the only evidence for the Holocaust were word of mouth it wouldn't be nearly so easy to believe; there is physical data in the form of the concentration camps, photographs and documentation and the lower number of Jews in Europe afterwards. Similarly what proves evolution is the physical data (all the fossils in my above link, genetic and DNA evidence etc), not me or Darwin saying so

Well using my own discernment I have judged them to be telling the truth, and yes the physical evidence combined with the personal testimonies of those who experienced it, pretty much proves that the holocaust happened conclusively as far as my analysis is concerned. However neither of these are as strong in the case of evolution from chimp like animals. As nobody alive can possibly confirm they have experienced evolution from Hominid, but what's more important is that the physical evidence is not conclusive. We can look at DNA and see that yes we do share 90% of our structure with those animals, but that does not prove we evolved from them, we can suspect it, but I think it would probably be arrogant to claim it absolute fact.

Most people don't behave like that. Even the gangbangers might not if they thought the innocent they victimised would be able to fight back, or if the police used the same tactics against them and simply shot them all.

I'm sure the police do look for as many opportunities to shoot them as they can! And the problem is that the innocents getting killed are usually in the crossfire, which is what makes firearms so dangerous to human life. It makes it easy to kill, and easy to hit the wrong person. I've heard this argument that guns can reduce crime before, but guns aren't like nuclear weapons (not that I necessarily agree with Nuc's being a force for good, either), and if you give two enemies guns they won't think "oh well we'll just end up killing each other, no point in fighting" , they will probably think "I'll just shoot him when he doesn't expect it before he can shoot me, or else he will shoot me". In America basically anyone can own a gun license, and many do carry a gun on them concealed when they go out, but is crime low in the states? it just creates a culture of paranoia, people carry a gun because they're scared of people with guns. And When people are desperate or stupid they will always take their chances. Even if crime on the whole was lower, you'd still end up with more dead bodies.

I'm bored of guns now, this is more interesting.

vashdaman said:

Yeah I know we supposedly evolved from chimp-like animals and not chimps. But my point was, why did the chimps and Gorillas that we have today not continue to evolve at the same rate of us? Because really, aside from a number of basic traits, they are nothing like us. There is no chimp or gorilla on the planet anywhere near as sentient as us. Why aren't they at least a bit closer to us?
I could link you to hundreds of videos of Chimps and Bonobos doing things which would be considered absolutely extraordinary in the animal kingdom. They might not have developed language or the ability to forge metal yet, but they are much closer to us than you'd think. And did you look at my link to the fossils? There were other species which were more evolved than other monkeys and closer to modern humans, but they died out. We know because we have found their remains and in some cases, evidence of the way they lived. Less than a hundred thousand years ago there were two species of more evolved Hominids on Earth; Neanderthals and Homo sapiens. Two million years ago there were three; Homo habilis, Homo ergaster and Homo erectus. We haven't been around that long ourselves, and it's highly probable a mutation will arise in modern humans at some point which will enable the new species to do things which make us look like monkeys by comparison.

And Chimps didn't evolve at the same rate or in the same way because, put simply, not every species does. If they did, every living thing on Earth would have evolved to our level, but they would never have even got close because every living thing depends on other, differently evolved living things. That's an ecosystem. A species evolves in order to survive and prosper in its environment, not with the goal of being human. Being human wouldn't do a deep sea fish much good. Besides, if the species which another species evolved from can still survive it does. A new species doesn't necessarily spell the end for the old one.

Sorry Ayase, today's my 23 birthday and I'm just really not that overly interested enough in Evolution to be bothered in debating it. I appreciate not being called a "complete insane lunatic moron hippie religious fanatic" which is how I at least get looked at by some when it's come up that I don't consider Darwinian evolution a complete and utter certainty :lol: Mind you, even if someone does call me such things, I've conditioned my mind to instead hear "my god Vash, your a handsome and intelligent rascal!" upon which I thank them.

You hear that Dawkins! I'm a god believing, Evolution disputing, Taiji using, homoeopathy abusing, delusional motherf**** Mwhahahhahahahhaha

Firstly, happy birthday! :D Have a theological discussion from me as your gift! (After a short evolution question for you though.)

Vash, if you have doubts about evolution, then what do you consider a more plausible explanation for the existence of humans?

There exist skeletons of apes, humans, and of the evolutionary stages that bridge the gap between the two. What about these examples of evolution would you consider to be lacking, such that you would doubt evolution?

From a theological standpoint, is it not conceivable that evolution is exactly what God intended to happen? Furthermore, if God exists, how can us mere mortals dare to presume what God thinks, wants, etc? No more so can an ant comprehend the acts and motives of humans, than a human comprehend the acts and motives of God. Everything we claim to know about God comes from the mouths of humans, and humans have proven to be particularly adept at interpreting things in whatever way benefits them most. Given the flaws of humanity, how can we trust anything humans have recorded about God? The truth is, you just can't.

The answer to this? Realise that in truth, we actually know nothing about God, heaven, hell, divine beings or any of that. Nothing we have been told has any credibility, any proof. Of course, this does not disprove anything, but it does lead to one sensible conclusion; God, religion, spirituality, it is all in the mind. It is something you feel inside, not a bearded man in the sky. It is about inner peace, regardless of what you believe. Heaven may simply be a metaphor for this inner peace and tranquillity, while hell is a metaphor for the inner turmoil of guilt, anger and regret. Therefore the best path is to live a virtuous life in harmony with the world around you.

tl;dr: Be excellent to each other.

Thanks Muts!

As for the evolution bit, I'll leave that, as I essential agree with what you wrote in that (for me) it doesn't disprove 'God' in the slightest. Its just that I'm not conclusively certain about it, but then I'm not really that bothered, I can take it or leave it.

You raise valid points in your argument of "How can we trust what any man says about God", and that's one of the reason I've been more drawn towards the traditionally more eastern teachings (though there's plenty of interesting stuff from the west too) that put far greater emphasis and importance on directly experiencing God for oneself, as opposed to just having to have faith in another's words or scripture. Of course, certain guides and teachers and practices can be useful too, to speed up this process, but one has to use their own discernment is choosing the right one, initially. And my belief is that we all have a spark of what I call 'God' (or what you could call a soul) within ourselves that we need to come into close connection with (so your right in a sense, about finding the answers within ourselves), though of course this is not easy. But I don't believe there is a distinction between God and what we really are. We are God, if you like.

So due to my firm belief that actually experiencing God directly is essential, you can probably understand why much of the God Delusion is nullified for me. Dawkins asserts that anyone who claims they know God exists as a complete certainty (or a level 1 according to his belief chart) would be either delusional or incredibly stupid, as their "blind faith" would be so irrationally strong, when in reality (according to him) they can not know God exists any more than he knows it doesn't (though, its worth noting he ranks himself as a rank 6 leaning towards 7, and 7 meaning 100% certain belief there is no God. So you can see his beliefs are pretty strong as they are.). But what he doesn't seem to take into consideration is that some people are rank 1 not because they believe strongly that a God makes sense, or in what they have been told, but instead precisely because they have come into direct contact with 'God'. Obviously when we get into this territory you have to be careful, as some may fool themselves into thinking they have experienced God when they have not (which is why careful analysis and discernment is essential), but some absolutely have experienced it.

Of course, this would never convince Dawkins of anything, but I think it makes it clear why being a rank 1 on his scale is more plausible and convincing than being a rank 7 possibly could.

But that's just one of the many problems I have with that book, which despite how much waffle and jargon it likes to throw around, actually has some very poor arguments in it.

Hmm, I've just realised I could have probably just pointed you in the direction of the Dawk v Dork thread for most of this answer and more info on my views.

tl;dr : Think good things....

Many happy returns of the day vash. You could have said earlier though, I'd have called an armistice :p

Fair enough. I can't force anyone to continue a debate they're not enjoying, but I will reiterate my request that you take the time to look over the data at some point, and maybe the amazing abilities of our realatives as pointed to by Josh. It's always best to be able to argue from an informed stand point, no? I didn't mean for my non-continuation of the debate on the use of violence to be a cop out, honestly. It's just that of the two things, I'd far rather people disagreed with me on the use of force and agreed with me on evolution!

As for you Mutsu, are you not giving people carte blanche to say "I believe in God but have no idea what it is, what it's responsible for or what it wants from me"? There is no evidence for the gods presented by religions in their literature, correct. So there is zero proof for their existence - zilch, nada, nothing. So if there is no proof for any of these gods, claiming there is another god "beyond human comprehension" is just giving believers another method of backpeddaling because nobody can refute somthing you claim to exist but know nothing about - Something no-one can know anything about, no less! We know where the burden of proof lies, and if people are going to make statements like this they need something to back them up.

If I said "Give me all your money, I can't tell you why as I don't even know myself, but I want you to do it" the sensible answer would be "No" (if anyone thinks otherwise I can give them a link to my PayPal account). Belief in something you claim not to understand is no less insane.

As I've said people can and do believe whatever they like. This however is not a good thing, because people should instead believe what they can prove. There are new things being discovered all the time of course, but the way things are discovered is by people coming up with a theory and testing it to see if it's correct or not. If you have a theory but don't test it, or test it and are proved wrong, that theory has no credibility. That's my "system of belief", and I'll continue to be fascinated by all the things life, the world and the universe most definately is rather than spend my time postulating about anything beyond it.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't about what I believe personally, merely my analysis of the perceived weak point of almost all religion. Personally, my beliefs are similar to your own. I do believe the last part of what I said though, the bit that sounded like Buddhism, being virtuous in life, etc. Bill and Ted really did say it well tbh.

Nice to see an in depth philisophical debate going on :)

Things are still busy on my front, had a great weekend sat in the sun though i did hide away in the shade to spend time playing minecraft.

that Skyblock survival has been hell for me, looked so easy online but i found out the hard way that looks aren't always truthful to skyblock.

listening to the Rizzle kicks album on the way to work today - can't complain at all, great summertime album!

Many happy returns of the day vash. You could have said earlier though, I'd have called an armistice :p

Fair enough. I can't force anyone to continue a debate they're not enjoying, but I will reiterate my request that you take the time to look over the data at some point, and maybe the amazing abilities of our realatives as pointed to by Josh. It's always best to be able to argue from an informed stand point, no? I didn't mean for my non-continuation of the debate on the use of violence to be a cop out, honestly. It's just that of the two things, I'd far rather people disagreed with me on the use of force and agreed with me on evolution!

Thanks!

Though I myself would rather people disagree on evolution and agree about use of force, to be honest! Really, whether you believe in evolution or not, it doesn't really change a whole lot.

So there is zero proof for their existence - zilch, nada, nothing.

Isn't there? Surely every piece of physical matter in the universe has a source of generation, so what is this source, or what was the source for the very first piece of matter if not supernatural? The fact of it is that without some supernatural source, the creation of the first bit of physical matter makes absolutely no sense, and we have to admit that it just popped out of oblivion one day for no reason at all. And if you look at the following video clip, even the big D himself accepts intelligent design to some extent, he just believes it's more likely the work of aliens:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UIHiggcVZvY?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UIHiggcVZvY?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

(I think I've posted this before, haven't I)

As I've said people can and do believe whatever they like. This however is not a good thing, because people should instead believe what they can prove.

But as I said before, if you have proven it to yourself you would absolutely believe, regardless of whether you can 'prove' it someone else or not. There are some things which you can know for yourself and not be able to prove to others. There are probably many things you yourself know to be true, but which you absolutely cannot prove to me. And as I keep harping on about, to experiencing something directly is the most worthwhile kind of proof. We have to accept that there things which we cannot currently measure on scientific equipment (and probably never will be able to) yet are still real, and in fact realer than any such equipment!

vashdaman said:
So there is zero proof for their existence - zilch, nada, nothing.
Isn't there?
Proof for Gods as represented by religions? No, there isn't. Not a single bit.

vashdaman said:
Surely every piece of physical matter in the universe has a source of generation, so what is this source, or what was the source for the very first piece of matter if not supernatural? The fact of it is that without some supernatural source, the creation of the first bit of physical matter makes absolutely no sense, and we have to admit that it just popped out of oblivion one day for no reason at all. And if you look at the following video clip, even the big D himself accepts intelligent design to some extent, he just believes it's more likely the work of aliens
Nature is of course itself intelligent to a certain degree, in that living things adapt to suit their environment by way of evolution. If you're making the single, one and only point that any sensible Theist who accepts reason can make (that there is the possibility of an initial creator of the universe, not one of the Gods imagined by religion but a creator we know nothing about) then fine, that's what agnosticism is there for. We shouldn't believe either option until we have proof, because I cannot prove there was no conscious originator of the universe, nor can you prove that there was. We do not yet know how the universe came into being, so until we do no-one can claim to know one way or the other.

What we do know however (and we do know, we have proof and it isn't open to debate by anyone with any sense) is that our solar system, the Earth and humanity itself did not come into being following the creation myths of most if not all religions. And once those are gone (as Dawkins is about to get into when the video cuts off) their Gods don't seem all that powerful, relevant or realistic any more. All they have left is the (often contradictory) words of men who claim to have experienced these interventionist Gods. So if you want to believe in a creator and be an agnostic theist, but also admit that you know nothing about God, be my guest. It's when people start claiming they know things about this creator God or what it might want that I start eadying the grinding wheel for my axe.

Aliens would not be Gods as imagined by religion as omnipotent beings, existing throughout all time and space holding moral authority over humanity either, would they? They would simply be other fallible, living creatures (as Dawkins explains) and even if they were to have played some part in shaping the world or the universe or humanity, the Epicurean Riddle still applies - Why call them God? The whole idea that believers in Gods can somehow point at Atheists and say "Aha, but you don't discount aliens?" as some kind of validation of their own beliefs is ridiculous. No, if I'm being rational I don't discount the possibility they might exist, but this does not mean I have faith that they exist without any proof either, nor do I believe that they played a part in shaping the universe. Being open to the possibility of something is not the same as believing in something without any proof!

There are some things which you can know for yourself and not be able to prove to others. There are probably many things you yourself know to be true, but which you absolutely cannot prove to me. And as I keep harping on about, to experiencing something directly is the most worthwhile kind of proof. We have to accept that there things which we cannot currently measure on scientific equipment (and probably never will be able to) yet are still real, and in fact realer than any such equipment!
And this is where I have to disagree and, if I might venture, may be the reason you're so bothered by the "delusion" label. I can say categorically and without hesitation that there is nothing I honestly believe to be factually true which I cannot prove to you, if you have an open mind. There were things, yes. I found that out because I have been through Compulsive Behavioural Therapy for social anxiety, which is all about freeing yourself of a delusional, negative self image. I have been an Atheist for a long time, but was surprised at how I had come to believe things which, when I examined the evidence, I found I had no basis for believing and were in fact, not true. When I applied my rational mind to my emotional issues, a lot of them disappeared and it felt ridiculous that I had ever even had them in the first place. I think if religious people were to use the same techniques to examine their faith, they would soon feel much the same way. Perhaps I should suggest Dawkins start using CBT techniques to convince people to question their religious delusions?

I may have theories about things which I can't prove, but that is how I will present them to others and exactly what they remain in my mind as well.

Nature is of course itself intelligent to a certain degree, in that living things adapt to suit their environment by way of evolution. If you're making the single, one and only point that any sensible Theist who accepts reason can make (that there is the possibility of an initial creator of the universe, not one of the Gods imagined by religion but a creator we know nothing about) then fine, that's what agnosticism is there for

Considering that 'God' is not something that can ever be measured or even fully understood with human tools and equipment (and that includes rational intellect), I don't think anybody should ever expect any proof of a God "as described by a religion". As I've said, there is enough to lead one to suspect that some supernatural force is indeed the source of our universe (and to me, this seems the most rational thing to suspect), but after that it's up to us as individuals to discern anything more on the nature of this supernatural force.

We shouldn't believe either option until we have proof, because I cannot prove there was no conscious originator of the universe, nor can you prove that there was. We do not yet know how the universe came into being, so until we do no-one can claim to know one way or the other.

And we will never have the kind of conclusive proof that you are after. Science is advancing and will continue to shed light on how things work and will probably even bring us information that further supports the belief of a supernatural element. But I don't think we will ever be able to measure the forces that set our universe into motion nor will we be able to conclusively explain how else our universe came to be. So I don't think it's wrong for people to believe. I think the big difference is that I don't believe you need physical evidence to know something, while you do. I do not not think that scientifically sound physical evidence is always the most important (considering it's limitations), I still maintain that actually experiencing is far more important. And if I have experienced something supernatural, but which I have carefully discerned to be true, then I will not grow suspicious of my belief just because the mainstream scientific community do not have the tools validate me.

What we do know however (and we do know, we have proof and it isn't open to debate by anyone with any sense) is that our solar system, the Earth and humanity itself did not come into being following the creation myths of most if not all religions.

Certainly not all spiritual beliefs. Some of the more mainstream teachings, well yes. It's very easy to look at the teachings many of the major religious gave to the masses, and write them as the nonsense they appear to be. But you have to understand that in most cases the masses were not taught (or simply could not understand) the deepest truths of any faith, they were usually given things to make them feel satisfied. What is really needed is an understanding of the esoteric teachings that practically every religion has (or which some may have lost). And this is another problem I have with people like Dawkins, he goes for the big and easy target, but he clearly hasn't taken the time to study some of the more esoteric teachings about 'God'.

Aliens would not be Gods as imagined by religion as omnipotent beings, existing throughout all time and space holding moral authority over humanity either, would they? They would simply be other fallible, living creatures (as Dawkins explains) and even if they were to have played some part in shaping the world or the universe or humanity, the Epicurean Riddle still applies - Why call them God? The whole idea that believers in Gods can somehow point at Atheists and say "Aha, but you don't discount aliens?" as some kind of validation of their own beliefs is ridiculous. No, if I'm being rational I don't discount the possibility they might exist, but this does not mean I have faith that they exist without any proof either, nor do I believe that they played a part in shaping the universe. Being open to the possibility of something is not the same as believing in something without any proof!

Yes, but my point was only that even Dawkins must give the intelligent design argument some credit to make such statements.

I can say categorically and without hesitation that there is nothing I honestly believe to be factually true which I cannot prove to you, if you have an open mind.

Can you 'prove' to me that you are really feeling the emotion you are feeling right now? And can you explain exactly why you are feeling that emotion and prove it? Can you picture a cat in your mind and 'prove' to me that you are really seeing that image? And if you really are seeing that cat, can you tell me it's exact location within your mind and 'prove' that it is really there? There are an almost infinite amount of things you cannot really 'prove' when you get down to it.

vashdaman said:
I don't think anybody should ever expect any proof of a God "as described by a religion".
So we're agreed religion cannot claim in any way to be founded on any proof, and such proof is unlikely to be found? Great. Smashing. Super.

vashdaman said:
And we will never have the kind of conclusive proof that you are after. Science is advancing and will continue to shed light on how things work and...
Hooray, rational agnosticism!

vashdaman said:
...will probably even bring us information that further supports the belief of a supernatural element.
Oh dear, unfounded faith.

vashdaman said:
But I don't think we will ever be able to measure the forces that set our universe into motion nor will we be able to conclusively explain how else our universe came to be.
+1 for rational agnosticism!

vashdaman said:
So I don't think it's wrong for people to believe. I think the big difference is that I don't believe you need physical evidence to know something
-1 for unfounded faith.

vashdaman said:
And if I have experienced something supernatural, but which I have carefully discerned to be true, then I will not grow suspicious of my belief just because the mainstream scientific community do not have the tools validate me.
Struggling to see the difference between careful discernment and plain old simple belief again here, if there isn't any way of assessing it. Dare I ask what this careful discernment involve exactly?

vashdaman said:
What is really needed is an understanding of the esoteric teachings that practically every religion has (or which some may have lost). And this is another problem I have with people like Dawkins, he goes for the big and easy target, but he clearly hasn't taken the time to study some of the more esoteric teachings about 'God'.
Because (and I think I've said as much before) these are the people who cause the problems. Monks and Nuns are great. They have their beliefs, they live the way they think their Gods want them to live, they don't proselytize and they don't expect anyone else to live by their rules. If all believers were like that, there'd be no problem. There'd be no need for Dawkins, or the Freedom From Religion Foundation or any of that. But as long as religious people try to force their teachings on others to their detriment or even death (sometimes even members of their own family) the irreligious need a front to protect them. Dawkins doesn't target small, fringe spiritualities who do no harm like whatever it is you believe (vashism? Ha, I quite like that) because they are not the problem. Big religion, destructive religion, religion that thinks it should be the law - these are the problems. If you aren't in or don't condone that kind of religion, leave Dawkins and his kind alone. They're doing you as much of a favour by taking on the major religions as they are Atheists.

vashdaman said:
my point was only that even Dawkins must give the intelligent design argument some credit to make such statements.
Willing to entertain the possibility of alternative explanations for things not yet fully understood =/= condoning belief in intelligent design, and definitely not if it's being presented as an alternative to evolution which it often is (that's certainly Ben Stein's agenda). Dawkins is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he outright rejected theories which no-one can prove but he can't disprove, his opponents would accuse him of being just as reliant on blind faith. When he says he doesn't discount these theories entirely, they accuse him (opportunistically and entirely baselessly) of having doubts about the other beliefs he does have (evolution) which are backed up by proof. What's wrong with him admitting he doesn't know how the universe began? You've already said that you don't claim to know the answer to that question either. Religions certainly don't do that though, they claim to know not only that but pretty much everything else, most of it without any proof at all!

vashdaman said:
Can you 'prove' to me that you are really feeling the emotion you are feeling right now? And can you explain exactly why you are feeling that emotion and prove it? Can you picture a cat in your mind and 'prove' to me that you are really seeing that image? And if you really are seeing that cat, can you tell me it's exact location within your mind and 'prove' that it is really there? There are an almost infinite amount of things you cannot really 'prove' when you get down to it.
Do I really have to explain the differences between imagination, sensation and belief? Those are all completely unrelated concepts (though oddly enough, religion does use the first two to create the latter). I don't "believe" I'm experiencing emotion any more than I "believe" I am experiencing pain - it's a physical sensation. You can tell physical sensations are real because they don't go away if you stop believing in them, nor can you conjure them into being by believing you have them. And I don't "believe" I am imagining a cat, I simply know what a cat looks like because I have seen one before and can recall that image from memory. No, I can't prove to you that I feel physical sensation or have an imagination, but neither of those things are reliant on me believing in anything.

If you'll permit me to ask you three questions vash, which I think would make it easier for me to understand the angle you're approaching this from... First, what do you actually believe with regards to the idea of God and the inception of the universe/world/humanity? Second, in what way does Richard Dawkins threaten those beliefs? Third, if you don't consider Richard Dawkins a threat to your beliefs, why are you so opposed to him?

Struggling to see the difference between careful discernment and plain old simple belief again here, if there isn't any way of assessing it. Dare I ask what this careful discernment involve exactly?

I don't think anyone can deny there are many individuals (and groups) in the world who are genuinely delusional and do get the wrong end of the stick, and I've seen some people discover their trust in someone (who was probably delusional or a knowing fraud) was misplaced, and so after being burned renounce their belief in anything that isn't validated by mainstream science. It's completely understandable, but there are bad seeds wherever you go and one should not tar all people with the same brush. I would say that the ability to discern the real from false is something that requires much dedication and there are obviously various degrees of insight. there are probably different ways of getting there for different people. For some, simply studying a specific theory and being mindful of every thought one makes, on top of practices like various types meditation, could be enough to allow someone to detach from their desires and intellectual mind (while bringing one into closer connection with their true self) and thus granting them a very clear understanding and perception. However for many this is not enough, and a physical practice may help achieve these results at much greater speed (which is precisely why Yoga was invented). Of course, I would imagine you'd just say that this is all just based on belief, but it really just boils down to living a lifestyle that everyday raises awareness and perception, and there are obviously thousands of ways in which you can achieve this, though they all require huge dedication and discipline.

Because (and I think I've said as much before) these are the people who cause the problems. Monks and Nuns are great. They have their beliefs, they live the way they think their Gods want them to live, they don't proselytize and they don't expect anyone else to live by their rules. If all believers were like that, there'd be no problem. There'd be no need for Dawkins, or the Freedom From Religion Foundation or any of that. But as long as religious people try to force their teachings on others to their detriment or even death (sometimes even members of their own family) the irreligious need a front to protect them. Dawkins doesn't target small, fringe spiritualities who do no harm like whatever it is you believe (vashism? Ha, I quite like that) because they are not the problem. Big religion, destructive religion, religion that thinks it should be the law - these are the problems. If you aren't in or don't condone that kind of religion, leave Dawkins and his kind alone. They're doing you as much of a favour by taking on the major religions as they are Atheists.

I'm pretty we sure we have covered much of this before in our previous thread (which is the same destination I see this discussion speedily heading too), but I'll make myself clear. I do understand your viewpoint on Dawkins and the like, in fact I think it was a necessary thing for mainstream religion to be vastly weakened, and no I do not appreciate the kind of spiritual faiths that force their beliefs on others. However, it doesn't mean I have to appreciate what Dawkins is doing either. Quite frankly, I think his arguments are poor and often belittling, his writing smacks of arrogance to me. He makes the argument that anyone who believes (or especially: knows ) in God's existence is essentially a poor deluded quack in need of a slap around the face from "good" science. I don't appreciate that. If he wants to write purely in criticism of destructive or harmful religion he has my full support, but if that was the case then he could quite happily do just that and leave out much of his nonsense, and it would probably be all the more effective for it. As I've said before, what I would most appreciate is a properly thought out, carefully considered and balanced approach.

Do I really have to explain the differences between imagination, sensation and belief? Those are all completely unrelated concepts (though oddly enough, religion does use the first two to create the latter). I don't "believe" I'm experiencing emotion any more than I "believe" I am experiencing pain - it's a physical sensation. You can tell physical sensations are real because they don't go away if you stop believing in them, nor can you conjure them into being by believing you have them. And I don't "believe" I am imagining a cat, I simply know what a cat looks like because I have seen one before and can recall that image from memory. No, I can't prove to you that I feel physical sensation or have an imagination, but neither of those things are reliant on me believing in anything

Those questions I asked were quite relevant. Emotions may be physical sensation (or at least partially) and visualising a cat my require imagination, but the point is that (as you quite rightly pointed out) they are not merely belief, they are actual experience for you. Likewise if I have directly come into contact with God it isn't merely belief (though, I will certainly believe that I have afterwards) it is true experience. Though it is not physical or imaginative it is no less an experience than you had with your emotion or your visualisation. Yet I can not prove to you I have had this experience, just as you can not prove to me you felt that emotion or had that visualisation. Hence my point that we cannot measure all things that are 'real'.

You can tell physical sensations are real because they don't go away if you stop believing in them, nor can you conjure them into being by believing you have them.

I would also add that this point is actually highly contentious. As much as I hate to admit it (it being the bane of any supporters of the alternative medicines life after all :p) the placebo effect is very real, so we can indeed conjure things into being (or remove them) through strong enough belief. And surely, to genuinely believe you are joyful but not actually be joyful must be ultimate contradiction. In fact it's so good it could almost be a Zen koan:
Is the one who sincerely believes herself to be filled with joy but feels no joy, truly joyful ?

Don't underestimate the power of belief.

First, what do you actually believe with regards to the idea of God and the inception of the universe/world/humanity? Second, in what way does Richard Dawkins threaten those beliefs? Third, if you don't consider Richard Dawkins a threat to your beliefs, why are you so opposed to him?

1. I believe in what I call God, though it certainly isn't the typical idea of the interventionist God that many have in mind as soon as you say that word. I guess I kind of assimilated all the various (similarly open minded) teachings I felt to contain truth, into the current views I hold (which aren't necessarily 100% clarified on every detail, but the gist is certainly there). I believe that what I call God is the original source of every single thing in the universe, every idea, every thought, every particle of matter, and I believe that our truest selves are God, literally. I would guess the inception would be along lines of that the special forces which spontaneously gave birth to natural phenomena and set our universe into motion, themselves originated from the source. I'd reckon the process could actually have been quite intricate and have some supernatural "science" behind it. There have actually been some surprisingly intricate and non-disprovable (unlike say Genesis) theories I've read in various ancient "Hindu" philosophy texts I've read. Unfortunately, complexity has never really interested me a whole lot, and neither has the theory of "how it all started". I am, however, much more interested in how to get to the end goal. I guess for a good starting point in understanding my beliefs, you could flick through this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoga-Sutras-Pat ... 453&sr=8-1

There's a lot of good stuff there. I've read several different translations and commentaries of it (all good in diff ways) but that one was my first and probably remains my fav. The Yoga Sutras are so straight forward and practical I would recommend everyone read it. And yes if you type in swami satchidananda into google you'll get a whole page dedicated to him on RickRoss.com (please don't even give that site a hit), but just ignore that ****.

2. Dawkins does not threaten anything to do with me.

3. I don't really "oppose" him, I just think his philosophical attempts are waste of paper.

Sorry if I haven't really answered some of your points here, I just read the whole thing and started typing like a madman. I can't really comment on some of your ideas such as being able to discern truth through thought and not through physical evidence, because they seem quite alien to me (not that I'm claiming to know anything about aliens :p). Not that it's not interesting to learn how other people see the world, of course. If my local library has a copy of that book, I'll give it a look.

The major problem with religions, as I see it, is that they limit adherents with rules which have no basis in reality. I was taling with my sister just yesterday about therapy because it's something she's never liked the idea of, and was explaining how it isn't like a part of you is gone or you're a different person or any of the other negative things people have to say about changing yourself through therapy - The best analogy I could think of is that it's like having a car or van with a speed limiter that restricts it to 50mph. Once you realise that it is in your power to remove that limiter, you can put your foot to the floor and go as fast as the physical limitations of the vehicle will allow. That's how I see the mind. It does have physical limitations due to the fact that we still have evolving to do (whether left to nature or grasped in our own hands), but the mental limitiations, the limitations imposed by groundless beliefs can be lifted and it must surely be in people's benefit to do so.

Can you imagine a world where the people with the power were people of science and reason, and didn't have to pander to a populace which harboured irrational beliefs and ridiculous contradictory expectations? I can. You don't even have to use your imagination it if you don't want to, you can go and buy a DVD boxed set of Star Trek: The Next Generation. So often the attack is made that a world without religion would be like the Soviet Union under Stalin or some other similarly unappealing godless state - Only if we free ourselves from superstition without freeing ourselves from other, non-religious irrational thought as well. That's what Dawkins' books and foundation promote, people learning to think critically and rationally about the world. Of course it's necessariy to attack religions if you want to promote these values because they promote the exact opposite: obedience and blind faith.

There is little in spirituality or even the teachings of some religious leaders which can't instead be understood as philosophy. I'd love to see "The philosophy of Jesus/Mohammed/Swami Satchidananda" alondside the works of Sartre and Neitzche one day in the philosophy section where they belong, with the religion section a long discarded relic. They are all the thoughts and ideas of men and (as you have said yourself by way of your points about not being able to prove things which exist only in the mind) that is all they can ever be proven to be. Thomas Jefferson removed the supernatural bits from the New Testament and published it as "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth". He liked Jesus' philosophy on life but didn't believe in the supernatural elements of the bible. In this day and age, that seems like a supremely sensible, rational way to view religious texts. We don't think the local vicar can actually talk to God like the witch doctors of ancient tribes any more; to discount claimed scenarios and miracles in holy texts for which there is similarly no proof (especially when there is proof to the contrary) doesn't seem to me like an unfair step. People should be willing and able to debate the philosophies of religious figures without claiming they deserve special treatment simply because they claim divine input. Philosopies are debated as theory by both their supporters and detractors. Religion is debated as theory by non-believers and fact by believers, which is why non-believers need to present counter-factual arguments in order to win against them. You cannot ever hope to win an argument against a religious person with theories - You need to present proof to counter their claims that what they believe is fact, and there is plenty of it. It's that stubbornness and irrationality in the face of clear evidence that their ideas are wrong which makes hard-line believers so infuriating.

Finally, regarding your point on how Dawkins' arguments come across: A lot of moderate people who dislike Dawkins and similar anti-theists make the argument that if religious belief brings people happiness and contentment, why should we try to take that away from them? I can think of another situation in which people do that; you upset children when you tell them Father Christmas isn't real. Does this mean you should continue the charade in perpetuity for the sake of their happiness? No. Responsible adults have to face the world, they have to face the truth and they have to accept the facts. If people can't do that then they are in many ways child-like, and I think that's where the problem of belittling people comes in. It would be hard not to belittle a thirty year old man who believed in the Easter Bunny. You can tell me you respect his belief all you like, but I think most people would be pursing their lips and trying their best to hold back the laughter. Well, I'm sorry if that seems awful or belittling, but that is very similar to how I feel when I hear a religious person talk about their beliefs. And you know what? Once the veil of ignorance is lifted the real, scientific, physical world becomes so much more amazing and awe inspiring, not less.

One last thing:
Is the one who sincerely believes herself to be filled with joy but feels no joy, truly joyful?
No. That sounds like someone on anti-depressants.

The major problem with religions, as I see it, is that they limit adherents with rules which have no basis in reality. I was taling with my sister just yesterday about therapy because it's something she's never liked the idea of, and was explaining how it isn't like a part of you is gone or you're a different person or any of the other negative things people have to say about changing yourself through therapy - The best analogy I could think of is that it's like having a car or van with a speed limiter that restricts it to 50mph. Once you realise that it is in your power to remove that limiter, you can put your foot to the floor and go as fast as the physical limitations of the vehicle will allow. That's how I see the mind. It does have physical limitations due to the fact that we still have evolving to do (whether left to nature or grasped in our own hands), but the mental limitiations, the limitations imposed by groundless beliefs can be lifted and it must surely be in people's benefit to do so.

I can understand why you could have come to this conclusion, but it really comes down to what your belief is, as belief is not as inherently limiting as you think. In fact, it's probably your belief that beliefs are limiting which is really limiting. A case can be made (and indeed has been by people such as Napoleon Hill, for example) that a lack of firm belief is actually just as limiting, if not more so. Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying for a second that holding certain beliefs can be very limiting and destructive, and I'm still in the process of trying to overcome my own limiting beliefs (ones that were ingrained into me by society, and even some that weren't), but on the other hand holding other beliefs can help empower you to achieve more than you could have hoped. So it works both ways, you just have to choose what is good to believe and what belief is good to get rid off. If someone comes from a traditional Catholic or Islamic background (for example) and wishes to rid themself of the the limitations of believing in a God whom your supposed to fear and turn to atheism, then I can totally understand that. It's just about what does and doesn't work for you.

Can you imagine a world where the people with the power were people of science and reason, and didn't have to pander to a populace which harboured irrational beliefs and ridiculous contradictory expectations? I can. You don't even have to use your imagination it if you don't want to, you can go and buy a DVD boxed set of Star Trek: The Next Generation. So often the attack is made that a world without religion would be like the Soviet Union under Stalin or some other similarly unappealing godless state - Only if we free ourselves from superstition without freeing ourselves from other, non-religious irrational thought as well. That's what Dawkins' books and foundation promote, people learning to think critically and rationally about the world. Of course it's necessariy to attack religions if you want to promote these values because they promote the exact opposite: obedience and blind faith.

I think the problem is that I don't believe it is possible to have a society where there is absolutely zero spiritual aspect and in which the majority of people are actually reasonably content and happy, no matter how rational or scientific we become. We seem to go from societies that push organised religion to forefront, but then people get sick of having often corrupted teachings forced on them and we turn secular, but then depression becomes more common as do suicide rates and discontentment, and then we'll probably have some distorted religious fanatical movement born from there, and so on. I think we need to evolve beyond all this, and realize that a balanced society which can cater to our intellectual, physical and spiritual yearnings is surely the only way forward. Because these yearning will never dissipate, they will only grow distorted if not catered to.

People should be willing and able to debate the philosophies of religious figures without claiming they deserve special treatment simply because they claim divine input. Philosopies are debated as theory by both their supporters and detractors. Religion is debated as theory by non-believers and fact by believers, which is why non-believers need to present counter-factual arguments in order to win against them. You cannot ever hope to win an argument against a religious person with theories - You need to present proof to counter their claims that what they believe is fact, and there is plenty of it. It's that stubbornness and irrationality in the face of clear evidence that their ideas are wrong which makes hard-line believers so infuriating.

I don't have any problem any all with debating any spiritual texts, this doesn't bother me at all (and personally I am drawn to teachings that do not teach the only way, but rather just knowledge that may be helpful which you can then take or leave). But as I have mentioned in the past, I don't think much will be gained either way from this Hardcore Atheist Vs Hardcore Religious believer argument. I can't imagine Dawkins is winning an awful lot of them over.

Finally, regarding your point on how Dawkins' arguments come across: A lot of moderate people who dislike Dawkins and similar anti-theists make the argument that if religious belief brings people happiness and contentment, why should we try to take that away from them? I can think of another situation in which people do that; you upset children when you tell them Father Christmas isn't real. Does this mean you should continue the charade in perpetuity for the sake of their happiness? No. Responsible adults have to face the world, they have to face the truth and they have to accept the facts. If people can't do that then they are in many ways child-like, and I think that's where the problem of belittling people comes in. It would be hard not to belittle a thirty year old man who believed in the Easter Bunny. You can tell me you respect his belief all you like, but I think most people would be pursing their lips and trying their best to hold back the laughter. Well, I'm sorry if that seems awful or belittling, but that is very similar to how I feel when I hear a religious person talk about their beliefs. And you know what? Once the veil of ignorance is lifted the real, scientific, physical world becomes so much more amazing and awe inspiring, not less.

Yes, but indeed this is one of the issues I had with his book. I don't think comparing universal humanity's teachings and belief in God to the Tooth fairy is any kind of reasonable or mature comparison. But fair enough, lets say we want to look at the way in which religion has comforted the masses (which is certainly a service it provided and does provide). I say, well if it doesn't cause harm and only comfort and peace of mind, why would it bother anyone the slightest bit at all? If we could go from childhood to adulthood and still have presents mysteriously appear on Christmas day or a pound appear under our pillow if we get a tooth knocked out, then we absolutely would! The problem is that those presents are not really from Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy. But if you are receiving peace of mind from God, who else but God could be providing that peace! Even if it is just the idea of God, if take away that belief and the contentment goes, it was still God that was needed.

And personally I make the opposite argument to an extent. I believe the reason many of the more hard line atheists are so hard line, is that it brings them comfort. What is more frightening than actually being accountable in one way or another for the actions you commit?

I think it's misguided for any atheist to believe that they are any less delusional just because they don't believe in God. As from my perspective (and many others), they are still trapped in the grandest illusion of all!

So I think I see why your efforts in the other thread died, I wish I had read this one instead of that one as I don't have the energy now. :-/

ayase said:
teonzo said:
ayase said:
We have 3000 registered users
Does this call for a celebration?
Celebration time!
Rui should send a bottle of Islay whisky to each member with more than 200 posts.
Or to the top ten posters of all time.

::looks at post count::

If you'll excuse me, I think there are nineteen threads which require my input...
I'm not too late for this... right? RIGHT?!

ayase said:
@Otaku - I keep meaning to watch Nichijou, it gets mentioned in the same sentence as Azumanga a lot.
Don't bother, way too much of Nichijou sucks.

Otaku-san said:
More like blogging (AMIRITE BROS1)
:lol:

vashdaman said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-23-japan-chart-my-little-sister-cant-possibly-be-this-cute-takes-top-spot

lool, I see you Illmae! Don't worry shun, they just playahating you, you still the big dawg.
I love you too much, man. :lol:

ilmaestro said:
vashdaman said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-23-japan-chart-my-little-sister-cant-possibly-be-this-cute-takes-top-spot

lool, I see you Illmae! Don't worry shun, they just playahating you, you still the big dawg.
I love you too much, man. :lol:

I signed up just to post my verdict. I mean come on! they're complaining for all the wrong reasons!!!

vashdaman said:
Sorry Ayase, today's my 23 birthday and I'm just really not that overly interested enough in Evolution to be bothered in debating it. I appreciate not being called a "complete insane lunatic moron hippie religious fanatic" which is how I at least get looked at by some when it's come up that I don't consider Darwinian evolution a complete and utter certainty :lol: Mind you, even if someone does call me such things, I've conditioned my mind to instead hear "my god Vash, your a handsome and intelligent rascal!" upon which I thank them.

You hear that Dawkins! I'm a god believing, Evolution disputing, Taiji using, homoeopathy abusing, delusional motherf**** Mwhahahhahahahhaha

A belated Happy Birthday, dear fellow. Apologies for the lateness but I'm usually haunting the news section.

Back