The General Conversation Area

For me the main focus of having a higher job is the funds, to put things into perspective:

In 2007 i saved up £2k in a matter of months, these days I’m breaking down to the last few pounds in the bank per month, luckily when it comes to needing money I never have a problem randomly acquiring the required amount (for example I accrued £1,700 to buy a car and insure it back in feb, if my mum and dad hadn’t given me £200 towards it, got £300 from my grandparents for my 21st and £220 back off people who attended my birthday – I paid everyone’s deposits - I’d have been able to buy the car and would have had to wait a month to save money to insure the damn thing, in which time the tax disc needed to be renewed)

So I’m hoping to take the gf on holiday again this year, last year I shelled out £800 for her to come to Egypt with me, not including the £250 spent on trips (I lent £300 to her sisters bf so that they could come too) so as this year as shown so far, I’m squabbling around with pennies at the end of each month so this payrise *should* make life easier.

I know some of those amounts seem like I throw hundreds around like pocket change, rest assured its not the case. I lend people money then struggle to get through the month myself and then when I need it and know they can pay me back without being back in a dodgy situation, I ask for it back.

Maxon I thought you were the year above me? My mates are leaving uni this year too and half of them have no idea what to do when they’ve left. I wish you luck, to this day im just bumbling along without a clue of what I truly want to be in life.

Riggy92 said:
This weather can go kick itself in the nuts.

I agree with this statement in its entirety!

In my new office, at my new desk, 22 inch piano black widescreen with a black armchair :p have just been told that the phone i'll get patched through on monday will be set up to listen in on any call in the department.

Tachi said:
Riggy92 said:
This weather can go kick itself in the nuts.

I agree with this statement in its entirety!

In my new office, at my new desk, 22 inch piano black widescreen with a black armchair :p have just been told that the phone i'll get patched through on monday will be set up to listen in on any call in the department.

But who will watch the watchmen?

Tachi said:
Maxon I thought you were the year above me? My mates are leaving uni this year too and half of them have no idea what to do when they’ve left. I wish you luck, to this day im just bumbling along without a clue of what I truly want to be in life.
Not knowing what you want to do with your life at your age is fine. People getting forced into thinking about careers at such an early age is stupid and is why I hate it when schools think their only responsibility is to get you into university instead of preparing you for the rest of your life.

Also, I've been to college a couple times already before I even started university because I'm nearly 26.

MaxonTreik said:
Tachi said:
Not knowing what you want to do with your life at your age is fine. People getting forced into thinking about careers at such an early age is stupid and is why I hate it when schools think their only responsibility is to get you into university instead of preparing you for the rest of your life.

Also, I've been to college a couple times already before I even started university because I'm nearly 26.

i totally agree kids should stay in education til there in there late teens or early 20s
the should stay in school til there 18 then go to college and choose a course or courses and stay for a few years or/and go to university.
kids should have fun while there still young * your only young once*

I disagree that kids should stay in school until early 20s. I think perhaps trying to persevere until 18 is for the best for many, but some people aren't cut out for or flat out aren't interested in higher education. Plus even if you are nothing says you have to do it when you're 18. My sister has gone back to do uni at 22 and she's having a much easier time of it than I did at 18. My youngest sister didn't even finish college and has somehow landed a job that pays higher than my first job out of uni did...

@Tachi... armchair? Do you mean a swivelly one or one like a living room armchair? That would be insane. I have 3 22" monitors on my desk, but it feels much more like a necessity than a perk since I'm usually using them all in my role. Chair is shocking.
Being allowed to listen to everyone's phonecalls seems a bit outrageous too. I sure no one has listened in on some of mine...

I didn't even make it as far as age 18 in school. I'd have gone nuts staying any longer than I did, and now I have a stable job and can afford Aniplex USA imports so...:)

University would have been the opposite of fun for someone like me, haha.

R

I left school at 16, attempted college three times at various points during the subsequent four years (none of which I lasted any more than a year at) and after several years in work am now qualified only for jobs I have decided I never want to do again (and menial shite I suppose, same difference). And there's no way I can afford to go back into education.

Somebody invent a time machine so I can go back and beat the **** out of my 16 year old self, please.

I'm kind of surprised, had you both pegged as uni going types.

In fact for some reason I peg anime fans as the university student types in general, perhaps because university was where my anime obsession went into full swing? I somehow managed to buy more then as a broke student than i can ever afford now with a decent job. I still don;t get how that adds up.

Ayase I know what you mean about being qualified to do jobs you don't want to do, I've just taken a new job on but I really can't see myself continuing to do this in 5 years, let alone the 50 more I'll probably have to work before I can retire. I really don't want to 'rise' to a hands-off management type position either, I;d go mad. Hopefully I'll find a way to sidestep to another role one day.

animefreak17 said:
@ FourthLion sorry i mean they should stay in education till there in thereearly 20s

i was in college for 7 years after i left school

You're 7 years beyond school age? :eek: I thought the 17 in your username was your age :p

ayase said:
Somebody invent a time machine so I can go back and beat the **** out of my 16 year old self, please.

I'd like a slice of this time machine pie, please!

I'm someone else who left school for various reasons, although for me it was when I was 13. However I actually re-entered education when I was 22, because of some of the stupid decisions I made in the few years prior to that. It was a pretty tough decision to make, but I actually feel quite lucky with how the last few years have gone. I do have regrets though and hindsight, being the awful thing that it is, makes me wish I could go back and tell myself to not be such an idiot! Now when I head to Uni next year I'm staring down the barrel of having more debt then I would have had if I'd have completed my education, although the downside is I might not have had the success I'm currently achieving.

Plus lack of a clear vision and goal certainly didn't help. I agree with Maxon about not knowing what to do with life at that age. I've just had a long, long time to think about it...

mangaman74 said:
FourthLion said:
animefreak17 said:
@ FourthLion sorry i mean they should stay in education till there in thereearly 20s

i was in college for 7 years after i left school

You're 7 years beyond school age? :eek: I thought the 17 in your username was your age :p

I thought it was his IQ :lol:

nope its the name of my favourite character from DBZ andriod 17

oh yea haha so funny i forgot to laugh

FourthLion said:
Ayase I know what you mean about being qualified to do jobs you don't want to do, I've just taken a new job on but I really can't see myself continuing to do this in 5 years, let alone the 50 more I'll probably have to work before I can retire. I really don't want to 'rise' to a hands-off management type position either, I;d go mad. Hopefully I'll find a way to sidestep to another role one day.
I'd love to climb the ladder but having only really worked sales (retail and office based) the only managerial positions I'd be considered for would be sales managers, which I know from having worked under them is an absolute hell of pressure - plus fake chumminess and motivational talk (when as far as the salespeople under you are concerned, you might as well just be standing there yelling "sell more ****!") isn't really my strong suit. Then there's retail management - and we all know how well retail is doing ATM. I'm rather glad I didn't go for a manager's position at Game early last year, which I did seriously consider!

I think the last couple pages demonstrate, what I think is the reality of the situation, and that's that this education system is complete bollocks, it doesn't work(at least not for the majority of the population)! Maxon touched on pertinent point, that our education system doesn't really educate us for the most part, it's usually so obsessed with grading us and making us choose boxes in which we place ourselves that it misses the whole point of eduction. The first fundamental thing I think our schools should do is stop grading, simple. I also have a whole host of issues with the content our schools teach and this 'National curriculum'.

I've never been a fan. I didn't attend school very often, left school and worked a string of crap job (most of which for less than minimum wage). Decided I wanted more, but basically ended up doing a media college course that my mate was doing. Finished it (who knows how!) and realized that I don't like media! Decided I wanted to become teacher, but after a couple of years remembered that I dislike our mainstream education system, lol. I think if I was honest with myself from the start I probably would have realized I wanted to study Japanese soo much earlier, but I was worried what people would think, as it wasn't the 'norm'.

Having said that, I don't regret it, because if I had discovered it earlier, I would have missed out on a lot of the amazing discoveries I made in those years. It's funny how things go :)

That's another thing that rustles my jimmies. Education makes you hate the thing you like if it's taught wrong. It happened with my first time in college, and it's happening right now.

Rui said:
I didn't even make it as far as age 18 in school. I'd have gone nuts staying any longer than I did, and now I have a stable job and can afford Aniplex USA imports so...:)

University would have been the opposite of fun for someone like me, haha.
Forgive me for being presumptuous about a lady's age for a moment, but I was under the impression you were a little older than me, which would put you *just* (imo) at the end of the period where it was not seen as such a formality to stay on for sixth form/college and then attend Uni.

I think the pressure these days on kids to go all the way through education is beyond unreasonable by comparison, and agree with Maxon's comment about how early people are largely forced into making huge decisions.

Back