The General Conversation Area

Apparent this guy was out walking in the woods one day, when he unwisely sat down without checking what was beneath his rather rotund posterior. Having already gathered downward momentum, he hadn't the strength to resist when he first felt it enter his backside, and ended up swallowing it who, branches, leaves and all. Poor chap has had such a stick up his **** ever since. Tragic really.

Sounds…enchanting… I dislike his incessant ramblings, I see the cause behind it, but the way he’s going about things won’t get him praise, he’s essentially helping to annoy peoples/

Back to a sense of normality, have my appetite back, not worried about the gf, everythings returning to its usual chaos….i like it  Undecided if I should change my tickets to come home on Saturday for a big family meet up, or stay in northampton for another night…..hmmm….the choices.

5/10/10

Wow, quiet in here.... Lets bring some music into this.:
[link removed by Rui]

Ah, howdy Tach.

I need to get back to posting on the forums more i think. But i have a feeling, after the expo, i'm going to go silent. My dissertation is going to take over, and i'm gonna hate that a lot. I mean, a Maths Dissertation? Madness.

Arbalest said:
Ah, howdy Tach.

I need to get back to posting on the forums more i think. But i have a feeling, after the expo, i'm going to go silent. My dissertation is going to take over, and i'm gonna hate that a lot. I mean, a Maths Dissertation? Madness.

Sorry to hear that. I did my dissertation on anime.

So lucky.

ilmaestro said:
I did my dissertation on Urasawa Naoki.

i hate you :<

But yeah, the only subject that stood out from what i looked at earlier(list is out now) was "The maths of Google"...but linear algebra scares me, as i only got a D there, so i dunno.

Afternoon old boy, Don’t worry about leaving anime for a while, it has to be done.
More important things come up and priorities are highlighted (hence why I needed time out of the forums, to spend more time focusing on fixing my life to adapt to recent changes)

Just remember to come back to it, spending hundreds on anime only to leave them when your older seems abit of a waste lol.

@Rui, sure thing. I only use it because it’s the only website that I can access through the web restrictions at work, I don’t download from it. Just listen to the music online.

Its getting better, arguments ceased and harmony resumes, just 1 more day of this and I’ll be gone till Saturday. Will come back for a big family meet up on Saturday night, should be an expensive week/end ahead. But atleast it won’t all be working :D

Listening to cowboy bebop OSTs alot today. (on my ipod Rui ;) )

hi folks

everyone just had a massive laugh at an epic rage my friend was having about poker, and then it turned out it was because someone was behaving immature during a poker game that pissed her off, that and the fact that she sat through 4 hours of people playing the game, i also read a story in Reveal today (it was lying around, i got bored) about a woman who is, essentially, allergic to sperm/semen, weird...

SO yeah, i mentioned this on the chat not to long back, but i have found a couple of my options for a dissertation project. These are not made up, they are legit.

KJP1 (*) Spatial modelling of Zombie outbreaks (Project for two students)
(WARNING: If you are squeamish/don’t like zombies, then you should probably choose another
project).
Zombies form a species of living dead that prey upon humans. According to current understanding,
while the origin of an initial zombie population is disputed, the ”birth” of new
zombies is predominantly achieved via infection and subsequent transmutation of the human
population.

In these projects you will investigate a model for zombie-human interactions following an
outbreak of zombie infection. The initial phase will follow the same path for both projects and
will involve researching the below paper by Munz et al. The project will then be split into two
components to be carried out by each student undertaking the project (please indicate your
preference as Zombie Project 1 or Zombie Project 2 when you come to make your selection).

• Project 1: Spatial model for zombie spread. You will extend the model of Muniz et al to
include the spread of zombie infestation throughout the environment. The key goal will
be to determine how the speed of zombie spread depends on the model parameters (e.g.
speed of zombie movement, rate of zombie-human infection).

• Project 2: Zombie-human coexistence. You will examine the conditions under which
zombies and humans can harmoniously (?) coexist. The main goal will be to determine
the conditions under which the populations segregate into distinct regions of highzombie/
low-human and high-human/low-zombie zones.

Please note: their will be no practical/experimental component to this project.
Although a light hearted application, the project will teach valuable skills on developing models,
analysing their properties and interpreting the results. Some computation with Matlab/Maple
7 may be required. While not essential, this project would be ideally suited for students doing
Math Biology A and Math Biology B options this year. For background information on this
project, please see
• P Munz, I Hudea1y, J Imadz, RJ Smith? (2009). WHEN ZOMBIES ATTACK!: MATHEMATICAL
MODELLING OF AN OUTBREAK OF ZOMBIE INFECTION. In: Infectious
Disease Modelling Research Progress. Editors: J.M. Tchuenche and C. Chiyaka,
pp. 133-150.
• Chapter 3 of Essential Mathematical Biology (Nick Britton, 2003, Springer)
• Shaun of the Dead (Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, 2004).

So yeah, madness, but damn, what an awesome topic to do.

Arbalest said:
SO yeah, i mentioned this on the chat not to long back, but i have found a couple of my options for a dissertation project. These are not made up, they are legit.

KJP1 (*) Spatial modelling of Zombie outbreaks (Project for two students)
(WARNING: If you are squeamish/don’t like zombies, then you should probably choose another
project).
Zombies form a species of living dead that prey upon humans. According to current understanding,
while the origin of an initial zombie population is disputed, the ”birth” of new
zombies is predominantly achieved via infection and subsequent transmutation of the human
population.

In these projects you will investigate a model for zombie-human interactions following an
outbreak of zombie infection. The initial phase will follow the same path for both projects and
will involve researching the below paper by Munz et al. The project will then be split into two
components to be carried out by each student undertaking the project (please indicate your
preference as Zombie Project 1 or Zombie Project 2 when you come to make your selection).

• Project 1: Spatial model for zombie spread. You will extend the model of Muniz et al to
include the spread of zombie infestation throughout the environment. The key goal will
be to determine how the speed of zombie spread depends on the model parameters (e.g.
speed of zombie movement, rate of zombie-human infection).

• Project 2: Zombie-human coexistence. You will examine the conditions under which
zombies and humans can harmoniously (?) coexist. The main goal will be to determine
the conditions under which the populations segregate into distinct regions of highzombie/
low-human and high-human/low-zombie zones.

Please note: their will be no practical/experimental component to this project.
Although a light hearted application, the project will teach valuable skills on developing models,
analysing their properties and interpreting the results. Some computation with Matlab/Maple
7 may be required. While not essential, this project would be ideally suited for students doing
Math Biology A and Math Biology B options this year. For background information on this
project, please see
• P Munz, I Hudea1y, J Imadz, RJ Smith? (2009). WHEN ZOMBIES ATTACK!: MATHEMATICAL
MODELLING OF AN OUTBREAK OF ZOMBIE INFECTION. In: Infectious
Disease Modelling Research Progress. Editors: J.M. Tchuenche and C. Chiyaka,
pp. 133-150.
• Chapter 3 of Essential Mathematical Biology (Nick Britton, 2003, Springer)
• Shaun of the Dead (Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, 2004).

So yeah, madness, but damn, what an awesome topic to do.

I like that they said there will be not practical/experimental part.

Great weekend, full of jagerbombs (bought jagermeister from asda for £12, if that’s your sort of drink, check your local asda, unsure if it was a short time offer or not RRP: £20) drinking, spending time with the gf, family meet ups and nacho’s.

Back