The General Conversation Area

if you want to tackle the financial sector, then the best way is to regulate the system better, something like the "safe" and "risky" banks idea sounds good to me, having some for everyday use that arent allowed to take risks and such (nationalised), but still having the risky banks for people who want to use them, of course, using a risky bank means that the government wont help you or the bank if they do something wrong or stupid and lose your/there money.

the government should tax bonuses imo, not stop them altogether as that probably would drive the bankers away, but its only fair imo to expect some of thoose bonuses to go in taxes for the services there customers and employees no doubt use.

ayase said:
We do need the bankers. Part of the reason we went into a recession was their mistakes, but then part of the reason we're out of recession is because of their success. Like it or not, capitalist economies depend on them.
Banks are PART of the reason we went on the recession. The big problem was people borrowing more than they could pay, then defaulting. But like I always say, who wants to go and beat the guy who has just got his house repossessed when bankers make so much money.

BlackWolf said:
Which is one of the reasons my friend wants to vote the communist party in the next election...
The problem of communist is that it creates a stale society. Who wants to put the extra effort with no reward insight? I know that if this was a communist society I wouldn't have make 5% of the effort I do on a regular day. I bet most people wouldn't as well.

Tachi- said:
One of my best mates works in a bank... so does his mum and sister, i get to listen to him moaning about making certain targets (10 sales a quarter) and balancing tills and filling and paperwork....i know more than the average Joe about banking, i just think its boring and old :p
We need to change that sooner rather than later....the heads of banks are beginning to think their actually better than others.
Well, I'd draw a line between a bank clerk and a investment banker. Your friend sounds more like a bank clerk. The bankers that the papers talk about are the investment bankers. Like I said they are salesmen. While nominal annual pay is high, it is less than doctors and lawiers. BUT, like I said, they are salesmen, they get commission in form of bonuses. The average Joe gets a 0.2% ~ 0.5% cut from the profit his deals makes. If he gets a million pounds in bonus, it means he made 200,000,000 for his company. On an average day in my bank trades a silly amount of money (on the 10 digit scale of number), it's obvious to me that out of that, a lot becomes profit and will be given to the trader as bonuses. Bad performance? Just kick the guy out. It's one of the jobs with the least tolerance to mistakes that you can imagine, sa one mistake could mean that the pension of thousands of people would bee worth nothing. In my opinion they are rewarded on pair with their responsabilities.

ayase said:
I think I've said before that the reason I don't think communism works is because people are lazy if there's no reward for success - That and not all people are created equal. Some are more intelligent, manipulative, ruthless etc. and you just get people like Stalin in charge (not that we don't have the same kind of people in charge in a capitalist society, but in a communist society they have more control over everything).

I think welfare capitalism is probably the best model - I mean, in order to make his own workers more productive and to enable them to buy the very cars they were making, Henry Ford used to pay his workers $5 a day, the equivalent of over $100 a day in today's economy. What happened to that attitude? We all got greedy. The bosses would rather pay the workers less, the consumers would rather pay less for the products, so all the work went to poor countries.
And we call that globalization. Isn't it wonderful? But one thing that happens in third world countries is that this demand created by the first world demand makes salaries higher.
From 10 years experience in the work mkt in Brazil, salaries rose around 60% between 2004 and 2007. Why that? skilled work is in demand, then people have to shop around for skilled people. Which usually means, attracting them with better pays. Employee rentention on the third world sucks and that's a good thing. Hopefully, it makes the distribution of wealth a little bit more even.

BlackWolf said:
Oh don't get me wrong i think communism fails for the same reasons you do, he just seems to think that it would work better a second time, but its far harder to change people's nature then he thinks. For it to work in this day and age it would need to be at gun point and no system of leadership should ever be run like that
Ask your friend that if he is given the choice to work in whichever job he wanted and for as many hours between 5 and 10 hours a day, how many hours would he work in a day.
My contract says I'm a 9-2-5 employee, but in reality it's more often than not for me to start at 7am and only stop working around 17 or 18, simply because I want to progress in my career, which would mean more money to me. Would I do the same if I knew the compensation is the same? Hell no. Why would anyone do any sort of extra effort if there were no rewards in the future? This rewards could be anything. Money, prestige, time off whatever. Without reward there would be very few people willing to work. Without reward no one would be a nuclear reactor cleaner! (or a cleaner altogether)

Tachi- said:
And Ayase; The banks put us in a recession but got us out of it, thats the same as if i took a puppy and stuck its head in a river and wouldn't let it breath until it lost conscious, then I took it out and used CPR on it and brought it back to life. Its not the fact that I've brought it back that's important, it’s the fact that I'd have done it to the poor little thing in the first place, that would matter more. So i'm sorry but i'll be the last to praise them on their recovery of the recession they put us into.
The logic seems right, except that the several puppies jumped into the pool on its own accord, the guy noticed the puppies heading to the pool, but was busy looking at the hot blonde in the bikini. Once the guy noticed that some of the puppies were drowning, then he acted, but by then they had drank too much water and needed CPR. Other puppies knew how to swin and got out of the water on their own.

The puppy is the general public and the pool is debt. Some of these people could pay for it and it was fine, the some couldn't but thought they would be able to because the economy was growing fast. The banks realized people were getting into debt, but the hot blonde called profit made them also believe taht everything would be al right in the end and these people would be able to pay their debts off. The problem is, they were not able to pay offtheir debts. Then, everyone entered in a state of panic and money that otherwise would be available for loan was suddenly withdrawn. This money available fro loans is not the mortgage money. It's the money goverments and companies borrow to invest in new projects, it's the new Tesco store, it's the new car model from Ford and so on. Less investment means less jobs. With less people employed, Tesco thinks it won't sell as much as they actaully already bought, so in order to fulfill their responsabiities, they lay people off.

I hope this makes sense.

ayase said:
I'm not saying they didn't make some stupid mistakes, but if they were gone... the economy would go with them. They are the ones propping it all up, and the way our economy is structured there is nothing we can replace them with. Believe me Tach - if the bankers were gone there would be bread lines in the street by this time next week. The number of British jobs the financial sector supports is... staggering.
If they were gone, things would be stable. For instance, lets suppose that you got a loan to start up your book store. Me, as an investor would give you the money you needed and I'd say, I'm taking a stake on your risk. If your business goes well, you pay me back with a little extra, based on how well you did. This is the basic concept behind the stock market. The basic idea is to put people who needs money in contact with those who have the money.

Tachi- said:
Then stricter measures put in place. And take away their bonus' there's no reason why someone should be getting bonus' when they put countries into reccession.

You don't give a mass murderer a shotgun and say "you killed alot of people.....that was bad of you, here's your reward"
Like I said, bonuses are based on performance. If you didn't give a profit, you should not get a bonus.
Whenever a country enters recession there are talks about strricter measures, but the truth is, stricter measures means you're putting a break on your economy growth. As soon as we walk out of the recession all talks about being stricter will go away...

And once again, like I said before, the one to really to be blamed is the guy who had his house repossessed, but beating those guys up is inhumane, so put all the blame on bankers.

ayase said:
In one circumstance, you do - and that's if that mass murderer is still responsible for creating most of the wealth of your country.
*hands a cookie*

Capital markets is the main reason behind a countries growth.

ayase said:
If there's no incentive, there's no reason to work hard. They'd all go somewhere they would get big bonuses. And then this country and all of us with it would be up **** creek. They're holding us to ransom to a certain extent, yes... but what's the alternative other than to give them what they want? A second great depression, probably.
Or they would become farmers and florists. Many of these guys are adrenalin junkies, but seriously, would you like to be responsible for milllions of pounds belonging to others?

ayase said:
@Black - I certainly thing it would be fair for them to take a pay cut, along with a lot of others for 'The Greater Good' but unfortunately, things don't work that way. Nobody wants to make sacrifices willingly.

Edit @4.30 - And I am outta here... See ya later guys.
Bankers salaries are usually smaller than doctors and lawiers, but their bonuses are theorethically infinite. And as I mentioned before, their bonuses are linked to profits.

Bank's CEO's on the other hand have contractual bonuses and stuff. In my opinion their bonuses should be paid 100% in mid / long-term stock options.

SundayMorningCall said:
if you want to tackle the financial sector, then the best way is to regulate the system better, something like the "safe" and "risky" banks idea sounds good to me, having some for everyday use that arent allowed to take risks and such (nationalised), but still having the risky banks for people who want to use them, of course, using a risky bank means that the government wont help you or the bank if they do something wrong or stupid and lose your/there money.
Problem is, no one would invest in public banks, they would go to the risky banks. Every bank have safe (fixed income products) and risky investment (equities / derivatives). What happened with the current crisis is that investors took money away from the risky market and put on the safe market. Most of the fixed income products require you to leave your money in there for a set amount of time (ie a year), which means you're taking money out of the market, which is not being used to consume or as an investment.

SundayMorningCall said:
the government should tax bonuses imo, not stop them altogether as that probably would drive the bankers away, but its only fair imo to expect some of thoose bonuses to go in taxes for the services there customers and employees no doubt use.
Bonuses are taxed and have always been. I know mine were And once again, the rich is the mobile people. If you have money you can live anywhere in the world. Anywhere, so why live in a country which i have to pay more taxes? I would just move to another one.

I'm in general agreement with what you say there chaos, However...

chaos said:
And once again, like I said before, the one to really to be blamed is the guy who had his house repossessed, but beating those guys up is inhumane, so put all the blame on bankers.
Most people may be being a little hard on the bankers, but don't the banks have to take some of the blame for lending money to people who didn't necessarily have the means to pay it back? This kind of lending is what artificially inflated the house prices and made them unaffordable in the first place. If people couldn't get the money the prices would have had to drop. I'm not saying people who borrow money when they can't pay it back are blameless, but then the people who lend them the money without sufficient checks are also somewhat reckless.

*twitches* My Communism sense is tingling....

Communism is the best system for the world, but the world is too selfish and corrupt to ever allow it. Peoples' views of what is rightfully theirs and what they are entitled to are based upon what they get now and what they would like to have in addition to that, which in their defense is what the current capitalistic society has taught them to believe. For Communism to work, society must be changed for the better and all class barriers would have to be annihilated.

o point in voting for the Communist Party in the UK though. If you want to change the world, you have to do something that will make people take notice. Nobody cares what one person's views are until that person takes action.

Don't the more talented or harder working people deserve more reward for their work than the less talented or lazier people? If you were really good at your job and put lots of effort in, but were paid the same as someone who was bad at their job and put the bare minimum of effort in, that would be pretty depressing. As chaos said, you would just stop trying. There would be no innovation or progress.

Before anyone says "Sputnik" I would remind you that that was done to compete with Capitalist countries to prove who was best. If you had a communist world... no such motivation.

ayase said:
I'm in general agreement with what you say there chaos, However...

chaos said:
Most people may be being a little hard on the bankers, but don't the banks have to take some of the blame for lending money to people who didn't necessarily have the means to pay it back? This kind of lending is what artificially inflated the house prices and made them unaffordable in the first place. If people couldn't get the money the prices would have had to drop. I'm not saying people who borrow money when they can't pay it back are blameless, but then the people who lend them the money without sufficient checks are also somewhat reckless.
I do believe they screwed this up big time.
"It was the second week of October 2006. William King, then J.P. Morgan's chief of securitized products, was vacationing in Rwanda, visiting remote coffee plantations he was helping to finance. One evening CEO Jamie Dimon tracked him down to fire a red alert. "Billy, I really want you to watch out for subprime!" Dimon's voice crackled over King's hotel phone. "We need to sell a lot of our positions. I've seen it before. This stuff could go up in smoke!""
http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/29/news/co ... n.fortune/

The checks were there, but they were really lacking. At some point they were granting mortgages to anyone who could prove some sort of income, which even included illegal imigrants.

Mutsumi said:
Communism is the best system for the world, but the world is too selfish and corrupt to ever allow it. Peoples' views of what is rightfully theirs and what they are entitled to are based upon what they get now and what they would like to have in addition to that, which in their defense is what the current capitalistic society has taught them to believe. For Communism to work, society must be changed for the better and all class barriers would have to be annihilated.
No, I disagree. IMHO, the best system for the world would be a compassionate capitalist. Europe is not too far from this vision. Basically, a world where the extra effort is rewarded, but no one starves to death and have the ability to explore their full potential. Basically a world of free food / education / health care. in simpler words, everyone will have plain bread, but if you want a sausage roll, you will have to work for it.

ayase said:
Don't the more talented or harder working people deserve more reward for their work than the less talented or lazier people? If you were really good at your job and put lots of effort in, but were paid the same as someone who was bad at their job and put the bare minimum of effort in, that would be pretty depressing. As chaos said, you would just stop trying. There would be no innovation or progress.
I know I'm like that and I'm convinced most people will be like that as well. Even though I get good money from my job I want even more, which makes me study out of working hours, keeps me on the lookout for a better job and so on. I'd say I'm hyperactive. I simply can't stay put in a place for too long.

ayase said:
Before anyone says "Sputnik" I would remind you that that was done to compete with Capitalist countries to prove who was best. If you had a communist world... no such motivation.
That surely could fly, BUT on the ground, where they were not competing against GM and Ford, the cars were shameful. Just look at Cuba.

Morning Tachi

chaos said:
IMHO, the best system for the world would be a compassionate capitalist. Europe is not too far from this vision. Basically, a world where the extra effort is rewarded, but no one starves to death and have the ability to explore their full potential. Basically a world of free food / education / health care. in simpler words, everyone will have plain bread, but if you want a sausage roll, you will have to work for it.
Yep, I agree wholeheartedly. Someone even came up with the idea of lowering the minimum wage but giving every citizen a basic amount of money every year instead of benefits which would be just enough to live very basically - Much easier to administrate and fair, too. Any more money you earned would just add to this, it wouldn't be taken away if you earned more.

chaos said:
on the ground, where they were not competing against GM and Ford, the cars were shameful. Just look at Cuba.
At least the 50s cars Cuba has were built to last though (even if they were American) unlike the throwaway tin cans which are built today... all planned obsolescence which is part of the worse side of capitalism, that of rampant consumerism. Why make a car that lasts fifty years when you can make it fall apart in ten and sell the customer a new one?

ayase said:
chaos said:
on the ground, where they were not competing against GM and Ford, the cars were shameful. Just look at Cuba.
At least the 50s cars Cuba has were built to last though (even if they were American) unlike the throwaway tin cans which are built today... all planned obsolescence which is part of the worse side of capitalism, that of rampant consumerism. Why make a car that lasts fifty years when you can make it fall apart in ten and sell the customer a new one?
Safety reasons and technology. Those cars are almost 100% mechanical, they were not built to last 50 years, but the ability to fix them is greater as they have less tech in them.

The thing about tin cans is that on a crash you're more likely to survive if the car absorbs the impact and not you.

chaos said:
ayase said:
chaos said:
Safety reasons and technology. Those cars are almost 100% mechanical, they were not built to last 50 years, but the ability to fix them is greater as they have less tech in them.
And that's just the way I like it. Makes them easier to repair yourself. I'm in a dilemma now because I want to put my (mechanically sound) twelve year old car back on the road, but the sills have rusted through. It will cost over £200 to weld them up but as of now, the car is worth nothing - and in another year they'll probably have rusted through somewhere else - If they'd made the sills from stainless steel then the car would probably go on for another ten years. Like I say, the running gear is in perfect condition, it's just the outer shell which is deteriorating. IMO, things like that show they built with the express purpose of selling another car a decade down the line.

Besides, I'm a pretty die-hard social libertarian. I don't think safety should determine if I should be able to purchase / drive a car or not; Did I ask them to build safer, more complicated cars? if I want to drive a car which is dangerous to my health then that should be my choice, just like people choose to smoke or eat unhealthy foods. I'd scrap crash testing, MOT testing and compulsory insurance. Yes, my world would be a dangerous one... but it'd be cheap to live in. ;)

chaos said:
Mutsumi said:
No, I disagree. IMHO, the best system for the world would be a compassionate capitalist. Europe is not too far from this vision. Basically, a world where the extra effort is rewarded, but no one starves to death and have the ability to explore their full potential. Basically a world of free food / education / health care. in simpler words, everyone will have plain bread, but if you want a sausage roll, you will have to work for it.

That's called Socialism, aka Communism Lite. It is like Communism but with people getting paid according to their job.

Anyway, you don't often get paid more according to how hard you work in Capitalism anyway. A vast number of factors determine how much you are paid, and how hard you work is one of the lesser ones. Certain areas of work pay more without requiring any greater level of effort, footballers for example.

Ryo Chan said:
someone save me, i'm afraid for my life

chaz is running red lights while people cross XD
=D LOL is Chaz about to get a driver's license?

Nausicaa of the valley of the wind.. Awesome anime, even better manga.

Ryo Chan said:
chaos said:
Ryo Chan said:
someone save me, i'm afraid for my life

chaz is running red lights while people cross XD
=D LOL is Chaz about to get a driver's license?

Nausicaa of the valley of the wind.. Awesome anime, even better manga.

about? he's had one for atleast a year now XD

Sounds like my driving instructor. First lesson i had he said he'll drive me to a remote area where i can start on the basics......he ran a red light and a crossing.... not the greatest start to the lessons lol. oh and every lesson since my second i've been put on roads with the national speed limit (60mph for those who don't know) lol although i like the speed of 60mph....i still think that kind of speed is abit reckless. 100mph sounds abit safer ;)

Afternoon all. just had a 6 inch meatball marijuana.....?
Gotta say, i'm feeling rather relaxed and ready for the afternoon and night ahead.

Back