The General Conversation Area

It's okay chaos, the gas bill is sorted for the time being.

Right guys I've a favour to ask, where's the best place to start with website design, its for something i'm thinking about doing in the new year

Depends a lot of what exactly you want to do black.
Web design or coding what other designed?
If the first, then a good drawing tool and a reading a couple of articles / books on usability, colour psychology and stuff like that

If the latter, learning HTML and it's variants, javascript, ajax and some macromedia tools (flex would be the most recommendable I think)

as in making your own website? i'd start with how many pages you need, what to use them for and then colour settings.

Ever used Dreamweaver?

I've used dreamweaver in the past, but i wish to create an online portfolio, a website to advertise myself (as well as put on it any coding i do) I wish i could pay for someone to design me the website first so it didn't look like a 5yr old made it on his first go, but i don't have the luxury.

BlackWolf said:
I've used dreamweaver in the past, but i wish to create an online portfolio, a website to advertise myself (as well as put on it any coding i do) I wish i could pay for someone to design me the website first so it didn't look like a 5yr old made it on his first go, but i don't have the luxury.
Keep it simply. There are plenty of free templates as well.

Dreamweaver should still be good for a simply website. Also, there are some free gallery software you could use (those that list pics and let your user do fun things with them, ie. zoom)

chaos said:
Mind if I ask what you guys use for DB's?

We have about 10 squeal (sql) servers and an orcl server which is about 10 years old. We have lots of different db's for lots of different things... what you get with almost 2k users... and now we are moving to 7 too! We only got everyone to xp about two months ago...

Indeed it is,

I've decided that i'm going to get back into drawing, but instead of sticking to what i'm good at. i'm going for things i'm not particularly good at.

So i'm going to download photoshop (which has never seen eye to eye with me, we don't get on) and going to try my hand at drawing on a pc.

BlackWolf, I'd help you, but I'm only in first year of my Web Based Systems course and they've only given me about 2 hours worth of HTML to do in the entire semester. :/

Hokum said:
chaos said:
Mind if I ask what you guys use for DB's?

We have about 10 squeal (sql) servers and an orcl server which is about 10 years old. We have lots of different db's for lots of different things... what you get with almost 2k users... and now we are moving to 7 too! We only got everyone to xp about two months ago...
Oracle is all right I guess. Probably the best of the big 4 DB's out there. by moving to 7 you mean, 7k users or SQL Server 7?

Maxon said:
BlackWolf, I'd help you, but I'm only in first year of my Web Based Systems course and they've only given me about 2 hours worth of HTML to do in the entire semester. :/
html is easy. Difficult for me is the design part (colour schemes, layouting, etc...)

Maxon said:

That's a bit strange :/ in my programming course i was doing C++ work for over 5 hours a week (including homework assignments). I expect you'll be doing it by the bucket load in your second year (if not your next semester, the work load always picks up in january time)

but thanks for the offer :)

Tachi- said:
Indeed it is,

I've decided that i'm going to get back into drawing, but instead of sticking to what i'm good at. i'm going for things i'm not particularly good at.

So i'm going to download photoshop (which has never seen eye to eye with me, we don't get on) and going to try my hand at drawing on a pc.

Dude i'd suggest Painter 11 if you can get hold of it.

Nyani said:
*Ninja's Tachi's graphics tablet* :p Gib :p

:eek: THEIF!!

:p I downloaded Gimpshop.....which crashes, so that got deleted and i decided to use MS paint lol. at first it was weird and didn't really feel....normal. but i've gotten used to it, so drawing is similar to RL.

Back