The General Conversation Area

Vincentdante

Railgun
And on the subject of horror, what's everyone been watching that has been good? @Vincentdante, seen anything worth recommending for the Halloween season? I haven't managed to get to half as much as I planned but I did finally bite the bullet and start on Higurashi Gou and now Sotsu, without having finished the VNs as I had originally planned. Very interesting, even if not as good as I had expected, but still nice to revisit Hinamizawa. I especially loved the sunset scenes with the really loud Higurashi chirping in the Rena arc. I also get the feeling that I may just enjoy Umineko better, when I get to it, for having seeing the new anime.
General horror recommendations from me this year will be my usual go to's of Hereditary, The Mist (not the netflix adaptation but the 2007 movie version) and anything in that vein.

If you have an account with Audible I strongly recommend Dark Radio Theatre which adapts classic HP Lovecraft stories into radio plays. I just got done listening to their version of The Dunwich Horror actually.

For video games, I've been (re)playing The Quarry, I love those games. Personally waiting for the new entry in the Dark Pictures Anthology that is coming out in a few weeks. Getting it on Steam probably and I will try and rope in a player 2 from somewhere.

Gemsy-chan

Akatsuki
At work for my last 1 and a half shifts as a CCTV operator/control manager before I'm made redundant.

Found out today that the council are actually keeping cctv but not having it manned. People from the council will come into the control room to download footage for the police. Had to give them a crash course in how to do it today. Shall be fun when they forget or mess up the paperwork which causes a case to be dropped.

Also found a job I'm going to apply for, my CV is all up to date.

RadFemHedonist

Death Scythe
@Gemsy-chan I'm sorry I haven't said anything before but I really wish you the best of luck must be stressful being made redundant and having to find a new job :confused:
❤️

Kinda random I guess but, well... I wanna become a plus-size model (as in taking cute photos of myself wearing lots of nice outfits from my considerable wardrobe, and uploading them onto some sort of blog-type thing to hopefully build a small but loyal following of people who like my style and appearance), but I can't stop thinking that one of the people who bullied me at school will find it and start mudslinging to try and ruin my image? (and that's not even taking into account all the misogynistic fatphobic stinkbutts who've never even met me who are gonna be big mad at me on the internet for doing this). Does anyone have any advice on how to manage stuff like that psychologically or in any other aspect? I know I might be too sensitive to handle all the trolls anyway tbf but I really love dressing up and would like to put myself out there in all the awesome things I wear :)

Gemsy-chan

Akatsuki
Kinda random I guess but, well... I wanna become a plus-size model (as in taking cute photos of myself wearing lots of nice outfits from my considerable wardrobe, and uploading them onto some sort of blog-type thing to hopefully build a small but loyal following of people who like my style and appearance), but I can't stop thinking that one of the people who bullied me at school will find it and start mudslinging to try and ruin my image? (and that's not even taking into account all the misogynistic fatphobic stinkbutts who've never even met me who are gonna be big mad at me on the internet for doing this). Does anyone have any advice on how to manage stuff like that psychologically or in any other aspect? I know I might be too sensitive to handle all the trolls anyway tbf but I really love dressing up and would like to put myself out there in all the awesome things I wear :)
All I can say is that you need a thick skin, as no matter what you do on the Internet there is someone somewhere in a basement who will troll.

If you do do it, then you are braver than me.

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator

I think people will troll regardless of how gorgeous you are because there is no limit to the number of people with nothing better to do than belittle others, especially when the other person is successful, so to protect your mental health maybe you could choose a style which helps keep your anonymity? Not mentioning your real life details anywhere will help, but perhaps you can make/buy a cute mask or use clever angles to avoid revealing your identity (if you're a makeup genius perhaps you could disguise yourself a little that way?) and make it all part of the fun/brand you build. Even a teeny mask over your eyes will probably make it mostly impossible for anybody who knew you from the past to figure out who you are, and since you like creating things already it might be a fun way to express your artistic side along with your clothes. And to be honest, so long as you project an image of having fun the bullies from the real world will probably run a mile. They like soft targets who can't fight back; if you don't show your vulnerabilities on your blog then they'll have no angle of attack to hurt you any more. That doesn't apply to the usual Internet trolls, sadly, but real life stuff is a lot harder to deal with than some loser strangers with nothing better to do :(

Aside from that, make sure that the site/software you use gives you the power to limit anything that jerks can say/do to you directly so that you're in control at all times. And have fun!

R

Vincentdante

Railgun
I think people will troll regardless of how gorgeous you are because there is no limit to the number of people with nothing better to do than belittle others, especially when the other person is successful, so to protect your mental health maybe you could choose a style which helps keep your anonymity? Not mentioning your real life details anywhere will help, but perhaps you can make/buy a cute mask or use clever angles to avoid revealing your identity (if you're a makeup genius perhaps you could disguise yourself a little that way?) and make it all part of the fun/brand you build. Even a teeny mask over your eyes will probably make it mostly impossible for anybody who knew you from the past to figure out who you are, and since you like creating things already it might be a fun way to express your artistic side along with your clothes. And to be honest, so long as you project an image of having fun the bullies from the real world will probably run a mile. They like soft targets who can't fight back; if you don't show your vulnerabilities on your blog then they'll have no angle of attack to hurt you any more. That doesn't apply to the usual Internet trolls, sadly, but real life stuff is a lot harder to deal with than some loser strangers with nothing better to do :(

Aside from that, make sure that the site/software you use gives you the power to limit anything that jerks can say/do to you directly so that you're in control at all times. And have fun!

R
^ Yeah this, if you are going to do anything public no matter how perfectly you act or look you got to steel yourself for some form of pushback. I don't bother with twitter or social media in general for this reason.

Eternal chibi

Kiznaiver

Look for inspiration from those that have done the same thing as you, there are many, they can understand and possibly give advice in a way others can't.

Ultimately what needs to happen is you must overcome your trauma. When you can manage this then it will no longer hold you back from what you want. Once you make the first step it does become easier than before, but this is a complicated process that is different for everybody, and it can be a long one as well. Despite this it is worth it and I think everyone can do it.