The General Conversation Area

Kite

Stand User
Hopefully you will get a decent pay out (18 years of service so should be at least 12 weeks pay) and can walk into another job sooner rather than later, even if it's something different.

Oldmario

Thousand Master
i feel like anime is a bad influence on me, watching Yuru camp made me wanna go camping which i never did, Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater made me wanna try fishing and that never happened, Supercub made me want to get a scooter but i realised i had no idea where i'd put the scooter to keep it from getting nicked, now this season i'm watching Do it Yourself and i'm all like
no-nope.gif

Eternal chibi

Kiznaiver
My position would definitely be made redundant as I’m the control room manager and they’ve already got one of those at the other control room, I would need to be demoted.
Definitely not an option!

You have a good work history and good service to your role. You will definitely find a new position that is worthy of your talent and experience, you shouldn't settle for anything less. The most difficult part is searching, it can take a while (6 months for me), but once you find it you will be very happy.

I often work too hard as some have noticed - with hours going as high as 52 hours on some occasions (I'm contracted to work 40 hours a week and up to 48 in some situations due to our weekend events that are held once every while).

I like my job for the most part, but I've barely booked holiday because there's no room for one and the only reason that I got holiday booked for the rest of this week was because my manager had to intervene and force me to use up my holiday days.
You are obviously dedicated so nobody can fault you for taking time off. You deserve it! It may be the case that things don't get done in your absence, and that will have to be the reality. I am sure with the hard work you put in that everything will be rectified when you go back to work.

Not exactly the same but I feel is related. I was talking with my colleague yesterday; he had been promised a pay rise after 6 months, it didn't happen, he kept asking and it wasn't happening. 1 year later he had enough and he went to his manager's manager, saying he will go to the union if he wasn't going to get what he was promised. It wasn't necessary to go to the union, because he immediately got what he wanted. Sometimes we have to be assertive in our jobs, and more often than not we will get a positive outcome as fortunately we have many workers laws these days. This is not applicable in all workplaces of course, but I think it is for most office based administrative roles.

Girls with Guns

Mad Scientist
Well, I may be going back to the hospital later this coming week. I had a blood draw yesterday, and my hemoglobin level is actually dropping from when I left the hospital, so I probably am still bleeding inside my GI tract somewhere. It dropped from 8.1 to 7.5 in 10 days; normal levels are between 14-18. They are going to check the level again with another blood draw on Tuesday, and I see the GI doctor Wedneday afternoon, and they'll make a determination then whether I have to go back to the hospital or not for more exploratory work. 😟

RadFemHedonist

Death Scythe
Well, I may be going back to the hospital later this coming week. I had a blood draw yesterday, and my hemoglobin level is actually dropping from when I left the hospital, so I probably am still bleeding inside my GI tract somewhere. It dropped from 8.1 to 7.5 in 10 days; normal levels are between 14-18. They are going to check the level again with another blood draw on Tuesday, and I see the GI doctor Wedneday afternoon, and they'll make a determination then whether I have to go back to the hospital or not for more exploratory work. 😟

I hope u can still eat all ur fave foods after the issue is resolved, best of luck with recovery :) <3

Anime1977

Magical Girl
I've got bad news angel may lose her Tail.that bump that I found on her tail burst but its not healing they think it might be cancer but they don't know yet she's going back tomorrow.

Kite

Stand User
Well it's confirmed that I'm being made redundant, my last day of work is 31st October. And I'll be getting just under £20,000 in redundancy.

Good and bad news in a way. Bad that you are losing your job which you have been in for many years, but the good is that you are getting just under £20,000 to help tie you over until you find another job. Hopefully you will find another job sooner rather than later, even if it's an entry-level position at a supermarket

Gemsy-chan

Akatsuki
Good and bad news in a way. Bad that you are losing your job which you have been in for many years, but the good is that you are getting just under £20,000 to help tie you over until you find another job. Hopefully you will find another job sooner rather than later, even if it's an entry-level position at a supermarket
I’ve worked in a supermarket (Tesco) before and it’s not something I want to do again.

CommanderZx2

Straw Hat Pirate
I’ve worked in a supermarket (Tesco) before and it’s not something I want to do again.
I've been through two redundancies, from my own experience it is far better to get any form of employment no matter what than to have a gap in your CV while looking for a job that you actually want. If you have a gap of a few months while looking for a job you actually want after the redundancy many HR teams will just toss your CV aside even if you have many years of experience in a similar role.

Eternal chibi

Kiznaiver
I've been through two redundancies, from my own experience it is far better to get any form of employment no matter what than to have a gap in your CV while looking for a job that you actually want. If you have a gap of a few months while looking for a job you actually want after the redundancy many HR teams will just toss your CV aside even if you have many years of experience in a similar role.

This is simply not true as I had a gap spanning years and had multiple good positions for charities, NHS and respectable businesses offering me interviews.

There are lots of jobs out there. Seek a professional to help with the CV, there are free services for this. Write an outline of a cover letter and alter it for each position so it directly addresses the criteria in their job specification. Spend an entire day searching for positions that you would LIKE. Spend an entire second day writing the cover letters for them. Send off, and you will have interviews guaranteed.

The truth is, 50% of CV will get chucked because they aren't spelt correctly, they don't have the relevant skills. It's a garbage CV. I have done recruitment before and it's always the case.

You will get through the door if you look like you even remotely understand what they are asking. If you don't it's because there are too many applicants.

(Off-topic, move on from this post everyone)

Just tell me where I have to kneel and beg to have both and I'm there!

Watching it now and loving it.

Was gutted reading that he'll stop directing for the moment to dedicate himself exclusively to screenwriting again. Even with Men, I loved the creativity displayed on some of the sequences (the tunnel scene is mindblowing) and its commitment to full daylight horror for like the first 30 or 40 minutes.

Alex Garland is one of the UK's greatest treasures, keep him safe 🙏
I second that, but I didn't know about him taking a break from directing. He's certainly great at both directing and writing, so not a total loss. Plus I'm always one for people taking a break and creating fewer quality works than churning out just anything whilst the going is good. You just reminded me about Men - I was really excited to watch it before I got busy and forgot all about it heh. And someone who can scare you silly with the lights on truly understands horror, as opposed to constantly relying on jump scares (like that Smile movie which had such brilliant marketing but I snoozed a few times watching it...).

And on the subject of horror, what's everyone been watching that has been good? @Vincentdante, seen anything worth recommending for the Halloween season? I haven't managed to get to half as much as I planned but I did finally bite the bullet and start on Higurashi Gou and now Sotsu, without having finished the VNs as I had originally planned. Very interesting, even if not as good as I had expected, but still nice to revisit Hinamizawa. I especially loved the sunset scenes with the really loud Higurashi chirping in the Rena arc. I also get the feeling that I may just enjoy Umineko better, when I get to it, for having seeing the new anime.

Also managed to watch Inu-oh at Picturehouse Central with Yuasa in attendance for the Q&A. The screen, surprisingly unknown to me despite the West End being my old Uni haunt, was great and was ideal for the beautiful visuals and awesomely anachronistic soundtrack. Was also helped but having the director sitting in the row ahead bobbing along to the music heh, but I'd recommend a cinema watch for this to Yuasa fans if showing near you. Sadly my photography skills leave much to be desired:20221018_200639.jpg