The General Conversation Area

People acting like this is a fad are just plain ignorant. It shouldn't be a surprise that in a more accepting society people are going to feel more comfortable coming out. They've always been here.
You can see the same phenomenon with stuff like people filling in the census data on being gay or bisexual. The younger generations are more likely to say they are. That doesn't mean the number of LGBTQ people is on the rise or there is some insidious "social contagion", it just means younger people aren't being shamed or physically/psychologically threatened into hiding it as much as the older generations were. Same for trans people. It can only be a good thing in any society which claims to care about acceptance.

Just wanna add, if we trans people really are a fad, then we aren't a very successful one. The first census in the UK to ask about gender identity put us at around 0.5% of the population, and even knowing that some of us won't have filled it out honestly, we're still gonna be a tiny number. The outrage about our existence is 100% manufactured by figures in the media and government who simply find our existence "icky". We're such a low proportion of people that most people probably won't even know one of us personally.

And a lot of people who do know a trans individual might not know that they know, especially if that person is forced to be closeted or has their preferences dismissed by their peers. I am always confused about why conservatives are so pathologically obsessed with bathrooms, too. "Think about the children!" always applies to fictional vulnerable children and not the actual vulnerable children forced to live miserable lives conforming to an entirely arbitrary definition of humanity.

R

And a lot of people who do know a trans individual might not know that they know, especially if that person is forced to be closeted or has their preferences dismissed by their peers. I am always confused about why conservatives are so pathologically obsessed with bathrooms, too. "Think about the children!" always applies to fictional vulnerable children and not the actual vulnerable children forced to live miserable lives conforming to an entirely arbitrary definition of humanity.

R
What's also interesting is they seem to think we sprang out of the ground in 2016 or something. Nobody cared about us using bathrooms until around then, and trans people had already been using them before that without any issues whatsoever. Yet all of a sudden we're a problem. It's so utterly transparent that we're just another front in this culture war for them.

And I think the lack of personal contact feeds into it. With gay and bi people, I'd wager a fair amount of bigotry was stamped out because most people know a gay or bi person and came to realise they aren't whatever ****** up thing the media was saying they were. With trans people because we're such a tiny percentage, that doesn't happen so much. More people are liable to be like "oh those trans people sound scary, why would they do all those awful things?". And it's not like there's all that many of us to state our own case either, especially when we aren't given right of reply on a platform anywhere near as large as the ones churning out the hundreds of anti-trans opinion pieces every year. Not to mention the stuff the actual government has been up to more recently.

There's a lot of erasure of gay, bi and non-conforming people even in the trans 'debate', too. Lots of people get caught in the crossfire of the fabricated culture war: cis women who don't look as feminine as they're 'supposed' to end up being excluded from their own bathrooms because people challenge their right to be there, intersex people get dismissed entirely (as usual), while the anti-woke brigade completely ignore the possibility of someone being assaulted by someone of their own gender (even though this has definitely happened in human history). It's all ridiculous. The Internet allowing folks of all different gender expressions and preferences to realise that they aren't alone and that they have support is a wonderful thing in a world where other people will bend over backwards to ignore all common sense in their desperate need to control the lives of strangers.

R

My father passed away this past Sunday the 27th, he had been totally bed-ridden for the last year and a half after falling multiple times and breaking both of his hips and his pelvis at different times. His funeral is today, so I'm up early to get ready for a fun day. 🙁

Back