The General Conversation Area

I do like her design actually, but she looks so...sad :(

I felt sorry for her in that scene you shared!
Funnily enough I've only watched the dub, it's decent, they layer voices on the monsters but some of the claymore in particular aren' very emotive. I really should grab I' and watch the sub.
Wha's the sad moment then? The execution or the monster?

Totoro is actually my fave; I love how simple and innocent is is, as well as Kiki's Delivery Service. I wasn't too keen on Spirited away, Nausicaa; Princess Mononoke - they seemed to go on for a bit too long and I just wasn't really keen on them as films really...Beautifully animated mind you, just not keen on the subject matter and what not I guess..
Nausicaa and Spirited Away are among my favourite Ghibli films, and their length isn't much of an issue for me, anything under two hours isn't really long imo.
The Ghibli films that you haven't seen are well worth checking out, I'm still working my way through them myself

Funnily enough I've only watched the dub, it's decent, they layer voices on the monsters but some of the claymore in particular aren' very emotive. I really should grab I' and watch the sub.
Wha's the sad moment then? The execution or the monster?
When she becomes a monster, and the bit before that when she pleads for help, it seemed sad, even though she was doing it on purpose to kill Teresa or whatever her name was.

When I watched My Neighbour Totoro for the first time it was when I was in Uni, and our lecturer had bought a copy back from Japan, so it was only in Japanese. I've only ever been able to watch it in Japanese; I tried the sub and it just didn't seem right. I'm not usually a sub vs dub person; I can like both for different reasons, but in this case, I think being exposed to only the Japanese language version first just meant that it felt right for that particular film!

When I watched My Neighbour Totoro for the first time it was when I was in Uni, and our lecturer had bought a copy back from Japan, so it was only in Japanese. I've only ever been able to watch it in Japanese; I tried the sub and it just didn't seem right. I'm not usually a sub vs dub person; I can like both for different reasons, but in this case, I think being exposed to only the Japanese language version first just meant that it felt right for that particular film!
I'll admit I'm not actually that big a fan of Totoro, the whole whimsical element of it feels more geared for kids like Ponyo was as opposed to other Ghibli films which masterfully offer a lot for both children and adults. Guess it wasn't geared towards my preferences

I'll admit I'm not actually that big a fan of Totoro, the whole whimsical element of it feels more geared for kids like Ponyo was as opposed to other Ghibli films which masterfully offer a lot for both children and adults. Guess it wasn't geared towards my preferences
That's cool dude, different tastes and all ^^ I actually liked the whimsy of it; it just seemed really innocent and sweet, and beautifully animated. I did see a clip of Grave of the Fireflies on Dr Fox's programme about Japanese culture, so that might be worth checking out. Don't get me wrong it's nothing to do with his (Miyazaki's or Ghibli's) quality as a story-teller, it's just not my cup of tea!

When she becomes a monster, and the bit before that when she pleads for help, it seemed sad, even though she was doing it on purpose to kill Teresa or whatever her name was.
Purpose? I guess you coul' say tha' about 'we determination (percilla actually had a strong sense of justice, Teresa killed 'umans to protect the young girl, killin' people is a taboo for the claymore) the girls in claymore would seriously rather die then become wha' they fight though, their humanity is pretty much the only thing they can say is theirs.
It is a pretty crushing scene emotionally that one, but one much later on in the manga, it was after my mam passed, an' I's the only time I put I' down tha' week

SLOW THE HELL DOWN, THREAD
😯
Unexpected choice, ayase. She's kind of a firecracker, though, so... all power to her.
There's a lot of things for me to like about Kyoko. She's cynical without being miserable, she's screwed up but she doesn't give up.

I just trawled the forum search because I was sure I wrote some posts about the characters while I was watching Madoka (in November 2012! Probably time for a re-watch, especially given the fact I was attempting to rely on 5+ year old forum posts rather than my own memory) but I guess I didn't. I however did find that @Rui successfully predicted my tastes with a small margin of error I do understand Kyubey(s?) motivations, but I still hate them.

Ghibli films in general are just beautifully made, whether the stories hook you or not. I can totally understand people being less interested when the stories are clearly aimed at kids, but for me I always find myself enjoying them massively purely for the audio/visual aspects.

That's cool dude, different tastes and all ^^ I actually liked the whimsy of it; it just seemed really innocent and sweet, and beautifully animated. I did see a clip of Grave of the Fireflies on Dr Fox's programme about Japanese culture, so that might be worth checking out. Don't get me wrong it's nothing to do with his (Miyazaki's or Ghibli's) quality as a story-teller, it's just not my cup of tea!
Grave of the Fireflies is an essential watch in general, let alone Ghibli. It's quite the affecting story

I'm sory I laughed at @ayase "slow down" in caps XD

Purpose? I guess you coul' say tha' about 'we determination (percilla actually had a strong sense of justice, Teresa killed 'umans to protect the young girl, killin' people is a taboo for the claymore) the girls in claymore would seriously rather die then become wha' they fight though, their humanity is pretty much the only thing they can say is theirs.
It is a pretty crushing scene emotionally that one, but one much later on in the manga, it was after my mam passed, an' I's the only time I put I' down tha' week

They actually sound like pretty cool characters; it doesn't sound like something I'd normally be interested in, but you've made the ladies in Claymore sound pretty cool. Ah I can well understand that dude, and I'm sorry. I do hope you're enjoying your anime/manga again though these days (well, you seem like you do) ^^

Grave of the Fireflies is an essential watch in general, let alone Ghibli. It's quite the affecting story
It only showed a little bit but it looked really good. Many thanks for the recommendation ^^

Dudes, I'm off to bed now! It's been fun chatting, and thanks ^^

Take care, and be good ;)

Catch up soon! Goodnight scallywags :p

@Patient-X may you unexpectedly scrape your knuckles raw on your artex. Please feel like watching something from the top of your pile :p

;)

I'm the same way. Totoro and Ponyo are two of my least favorite Ghibli movies because they play out too much at a children's level - and Yonebayashi's new movie Mary and the Witch's Flower is just as childish or more so than those two. It's a shame since I loved his other two movies, Marnie and Arrietty, so much.

I'm hosting my 6th Studio Ghibli Movie Marathon in my theater the last Sunday in March, where I show three Ghibli movies, starting at 1 pm and running through to about 8 pm, with a break for sandwiches from the local pizza shop for supper after the second movie. I'm getting down to the last pickings for Studio Ghibli movies for this one though, so I'll be showing both Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies, along with Princess Kaguya - probably in that order, or maybe Grave last, I don't know which order would be better. Kaguya is a very long movie and I don't know how my guests will care for the animation style. And Grave will probably drain everyone, lol, so maybe I should show that one last, and then send them all home depressed, lol... In any event, it will be one Miyazaki film and two Takahata films this time around.

Last edited:
Back