The General Conversation Area

Yeah some waiters are stupid like that. Personally I like my burgers plain. After three failed attempts one time I just got a refund and walked out.

I think it's when you ask for something out of the norm, they just can't believe it! I mean you can usually aske for alternatives to the menu if it's for nutritional purposes, so I didn't really think it would be that big a deal. He kept asking, "without custard? Are you sure?" Yes, I'm sure, I've made many bad choices in my life but when it comes to knowing how I like my Christmas Pudding I've never been more certain, just SERVE! XD

Probably both actually. Man I'd had some experiences working in retail. One lady actually asked if I'd watch her baby whilst she went to do her business. Like, Lady, I am NOT insured, nor contracted to do this ****.

I don't even have children of my own for Christ's sake!
People are stupid. You genuinely can’t make up some of these stories.

I think it's when you ask for something out of the norm, they just can't believe it! I mean you can usually aske for alternatives to the menu if it's for nutritional purposes, so I didn't really think it would be that big a deal. He kept asking, "without custard? Are you sure?" Yes, I'm sure, I've made many bad choices in my life but when it comes to knowing how I like my Christmas Pudding I've never been more certain, just SERVE! XD
Worse is when people ask something obvious and like for instance “does it contain nuts?” And the waiter is like “huh? I don’t know”. Well if you don’t know, go find out.

People are stupid. You genuinely can’t make up some of these stories.

It's the absolute truth, it's just baffling!

When I worked for a concession brand within Debenhams, that's when these things happened. My depertment was located on the homewear department, but becasue I wore different attire to the Debenhams employees, I must have had a managerial look about me, because there could be 2 or 3 Debenhams employees nearby, but the customer would make a beeline for me!

It's the absolute truth, it's just baffling!

When I worked for a concession brand within Debenhams, that's when these things happened. My depertment was located on the homewear department, but becasue I wore different attire to the Debenhams employees, I must have had a managerial look about me, because there could be 2 or 3 Debenhams employees nearby, but the customer would make a beeline for me!
Maybe you just looked like you wouldn’t shout at them.

Worse is when people ask something obvious and like for instance “does it contain nuts?” And the waiter is like “huh? I don’t know”. Well if you don’t know, go find out.

Yeah, I mean, I can forgive younger and newer employees who are in training, but if you're just being ignorant or lazy, it's not good, especially when it can put people's health at risk! People have serious allergies and intollerances, and should be taken seriously!

Maybe you just looked like you wouldn’t shout at them.

More often than not I tried to make it look like I was doing something else, but they'd still come to me! The one good thing about where my deprtment was located, was that it was next to the wedding list desk, and the guy who was in charge of doing wedding lists would sit there and pretend he was working...somedays, I'd steal his computer mosue before his shift started, and I'd watch him for ages looking all over his desk for it! XD

Yeah, I mean, I can forgive younger and newer employees who are in training, but if you're just being ignorant or lazy, it's not good, especially when it can put people's health at risk! People have serious allergies and intollerances, and should be taken seriously!
I can let it slide if they’re new. New isn’t an excuse to be stupid. If you don’t have the answer go find it, it’s simple.

More often than not I tried to make it look like I was doing something else, but they'd still come to me! The one good thing about where my deprtment was located, was that it was next to the wedding list desk, and the guy who was in charge of doing wedding lists would sit there and pretend he was working...somedays, I'd steal his computer mosue before his shift started, and I'd watch him for ages looking all over his desk for it! XD
Omg that must have been hilarious.

I can let it slide if they’re new. New isn’t an excuse to be stupid. If you don’t have the answer go find it, it’s simple.

Exactly, I've been there before, as a new starter in a public facing environment, so I know how intimidating it can be, especially when you're not so confident. So when you're on the other side, I always try to be patient and understanding. But there's being lazy and not doing your job properly. I get it, we all have bad days, but you still have a service to provide and all that...

Omg that must have been hilarious.

Oh it was, it was my main source of entertainment...

Exactly, I've been there before, as a new starter in a public acing environment, so I know how intimidating it can be, especially when you're not so confident. So when you're on the other side, I always try to be patient and understanding. But there's being lazy and not doing your job properly. I get it, we all have bad days, but you still have a service to provide and all that...

Oh it was, it was my main source of entertainment...
I totally agree but in regards to the bad days; if you can’t pretend to be ok you need to be in a different job imo. Exceptional circumstances not withstanding

I totally agree but in regards to the bad days; if you can’t pretend to be ok you need to be in a different job imo. Exceptional circumstances not withstanding

Well that's it, even I've done it - if you don't like a job, find something else. It's not always easy mind you, but there's a point where you have to think about the impact it has on others, and you own well-being, It's why I had to quit my last job - I was frankly, useless!

Well that's it, even I've done it - if you don't like a job, find something else. It's not always easy mind you, but there's a point where you have to think about the impact it has on others, and you own well-being, It's why I had to quit my last job - I was frankly, useless!
Alternatively, if you’re totally not suited to a job ie you tell customers to go f themselves you could wait to be fired.

Back