The General Conversation Area

@ayase

Interesting bit of information. It wouldn't have applied whilst I was in retail though since it was before 2015...I just wish they'd make it more straightforward and not so much "well, what about this, do I need to ask ID for this?" It does get confusing.

Yep, the knight is a... nightmare? :p
It's the piece I'm least... at peace with?

I'll look into that site at some point. Maybe something for the future?

Haha, I got a chuckle from that, it's a wierd piece; at least I know where I stand with the Bish and the Castle/Rook , plus the Queen can move where she wants (and why shouldn't she?) XD

Yeah, I'd totally be up for that :) It'd be great to practice with a human. Computer algorithms seem to mock me...XD

Chess showdown: ShinjiSympathizer versus the EVEGeek! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
My mum has just told me that Doctor Who is filming in the 17th Century Village in my town and that Bradley Walsh is staying at the local Premier Inn (I think she might go all stalker as she likes him from The Chase)
I would say grab her now and stop here from getting there, but I imagine she's been able to drag you to Bradley too by now

That bottom story though! Although, I can understand being wary from the seller's point of view, especially if the law regarding liqueur chocs was/is vague anyway, but, as far as I know, so long as the person making the purchase is over 18, it doesn't matter what age your accompanied is.

Also @ayase your avatar looks so smug bestowing wisdom amongst the plebians XD

EDIT: I can't f*****n spell tonight, or any night!

help me beard club, I think I look better/younger after a shave (yes I know how can you look better without one?) I have intentions of shaving it off tommorrow morning.
I'm sorry BC, I may fail you

Seems like not everyone got the memo though
Hmm, seems like my employers didn't get the memo either, then.

as far as I know, so long as the person making the purchase is over 18, it doesn't matter what age your accompanied is.
I guess that assistant's stance was based on another condition where a sale can be refused if it's thought to be on behalf of someone underage. Still ridiculous, though.

I guess that assistant's stance was based on another condition where a sale can be refused if it's thought to be on behalf of someone underage. Still ridiculous, though.

That's just it, and a reason you still need to be wary. As the seller, how are you to know that immediately after the sale, the one who made the purchase (who is of age), then passes it to their underage accompanied! What they do with their purchase beyond the transaction is out of our control, surely; so long as we sell it to the person who is of age!

I just played it safe and ID'd people even if they were buying Dairy Milk - embarrassing, yes, but no comebacks!

I'll check that out as soon as I get near a WiFi source tomorrow, dude. :) (Still in mobile data preservation mode atm.)

I dread to think what the video is now!

It's about jam :)

It'll be funnier when you actually see it...or...not!

It may be the case that individual business still have their own policy of choosing not to sell them to people under 16. Being fairly heavily involved in retail for a while, I can categorically state that as a private business, you have the right not to serve a customer for whatever reason you like, or even for no reason at all (a sale is essentially a contract, and both parties have to agree for it it to take place - If one party doesn't agree, the other cannot force them) as long as that reason isn't breaking discrimination laws. Which itself brings up an interesting point as technically, age discrimination is a thing so it might be possible for a kid who was refused liqueur chocolates to take a company to court for discrimination :D.

It may be the case that individual business still have their own policy of choosing not to sell them to people under 16. Being fairly heavily involved in retail for a while, I can categorically state that as a private business, you have the right not to serve a customer for whatever reason you like, or even for no reason at all, as long as that reason isn't breaking discrimination laws. Which itself brings up an interesting point as technically, age discrimination is a thing so it might be possible for a kid who was refused liqueur chocolates to take a company to court for discrimination :D.

When **** gets complicated :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
as long as that reason isn't breaking discrimination laws.
Reminds me of those recent cases of bakers refusing to sell celebratory cakes to same-sex couples on religious grounds, or hotels similarly refusing accommodation for the same reason. Discrimination under the guise of "religion" won out in the end.

Where do y'all stand on that, folks?

My mum has just told me that Doctor Who is filming in the 17th Century Village in my town and that Bradley Walsh is staying at the local Premier Inn (I think she might go all stalker as she likes him from The Chase)
Woah. Just looked that place up. How did I not know about it?
I've been to The Weald and Downland museum at Singleton near Chichester a few times down the years, which is a very similar type of place.

Reminds me of those recent cases of bakers refusing to sell celebratory cakes to same-sex couples on religious grounds, or hotels similarly refusing accommodation for the same reason. Discrimination under the guise of "religion" won out in the end.

Where do y'all stand on that, folks?

I understand that people have their own beliefs and principles and they are within their rights to practice those, even if other people may not agree. I believe the case regarding the cake you refer to was in regards to a privately owned business? (I can't remember all the details but I do remember reading about it). I think it kind of echos what @ayase said in that if you're a private business owner, you can instill whatever laws and restrictions you deem fit (within reason), so it may be harder to contest against discrimination on any grounds when it comes to an individual's own beliefs that they THEMSELVE'S have imposed, since I guess, they're the business owner and all that and so at worst, they just get called nasty things and get a bit of bad press. Not at all advocating religious discrimination, but we do have the right to live by our morals and principles, and if in this case the seller couldn't morally sell a cake to a same sex couple, it's just a case of,"well, too bad, let's take our custom elsewhere". It's not pleasant, but it's the way things can go.

Not very good at explaining **** XD

Back