The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

A couple of interesting demos were released during Summer Game Fest this week.

If you like old school run-and-gun FPS, give the Metal: Hellsinger demo a try. It's rhythm-based, so you need to blast demons to the beat of a heavy metal soundtrack, which works better than I expected.

Volition have released the character creator for the new Saints Row as a standalone demo called Boss Factory. Now you can make a million different ugly weirdos before the game comes out (or six anyway, since that seems to be the maximum number of save slots). Volition's marketing for the game has been talking up the flexibility of the character creator, so I tried making Utena Tenjou and the results were horrific.

A big Switch eShop sale started today. Lowest prices ever on a lot. Ends June 19th.

Some of the best I found:

Title
Publisher
Discount
Price​
Atlus
33%
£33.29
Atlus
70%
£13.49
Nintendo
33%
£33.29
Nintendo
33%
£33.29
Capcom
50%
£24.99 (Ends June 26)
World End SyndromeArc System Works90%£3.49
BustafellowsPQube33%£23.44
Spike Chunsoft
80%
£7.19
Ghost ParadeAksys90%£3.49 (Ends June 29)
Private Division
33%
£16.65 (Ends July 3)
Spiritfarer: Farewell EditionThunder Lotus67%£7.85
Bandai NAMCO Entertainment
80%
£10.99
80%
£8.99
Dragon Ball Z Kakarot + New Powers AwakensBandai NAMCO Entertainment50%£24.99
STUDIOARTDINK
50%
£15.74
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's TrapSTUDIOARTDINK60%£7.19
Hello Games
70%
£4.04
Cozy GroveThe Quantum Astrophysicists Guild35%£7.13
United Label
67%
£5.99
TOEM
Something We Made
40%
£9.71
Mojiken, Toge Productions
65%
£2.48
Adriaan de Jongh
75%
£2.49
Triple Topping
75%
£2.99
Merge Games
80%
£2.39 (Ends June 14)
Versus Evil
60%
£7.19
CE-Asia
50%
£7.49
Revolution
80%
£4.99
OMNO
Studio Inkyfox
60%
£5.19
Night School
60%
£3.59
The Talos Principle: Deluxe EditionDevolver Digital80%
£5.39
Under Night in-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r]Aksys80%£6.99
BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle Special EditionArc System Works80%£8.99
Shantae Half-Genie HeroWayForward50%
£7.99 (Ends June 16)
Shantae and the Pirate's CurseWayForward50%
£7.29 (Ends June 16)
Shantae and the Seven SirensWayForward40%
£15.11 (Ends June 16)
Shantae: Risky's RevengeWayForward50%
£3.79 (Ends June 16)
Shantae (2021)WayForward30%
£5.24 (Ends June 16)
Go and buy World End Syndrome please everyone! I want that sequel!
For £3.49 and a mention of horror that's an easy buy for me - used my left over points from earlier sale purchases. On horror VN types, I wanted to actually get Root:Film that's also reduced but not quite enough for me at £20; I recall adding it to my wishlist in the hopes of future sales after @WMD had recommended it a while back.

Thanks for sharing @SteadyHandMcDuff, I hadn't thought to do so myself! I had ended up getting the much-talked-about Hades, the very well reviewed indie title Spiritfarer, Valkyrie Chronicles as another heavily reduced one I'd added to my wishlist a while back probably off the back of some review. Lastly I got Luigi's mansion 3 at £34 as I've never seen Nintendo games reduced before (there are others there as well FYI), I've always wanted to try a Luigi's mansion game before and I'm going to try to rope my 5-year-old into it (so far having success with Switch Sports - will make a gamer/anime-head of her yet though I hope I don't live to regret it heh).

Others FYI that are reduced that I can't convince myself to stretch to are Re:zero (£20), octopath traveller (£25) and Angels of Death (another horror on my list though at about £7 I may yet buy it). I always find the Nintendo store (both online and in the switch) a right pain to navigate and stuffed with a lot of rubbish, so a good idea to share and provide heads-up on recommendations here.

A big Switch eShop sale started today. Lowest prices ever on a lot. Ends June 19th.

Some of the best I found:

Title
Publisher
Discount
Price​
Atlus
33%
£33.29
Atlus
70%
£13.49
Nintendo
33%
£33.29
Nintendo
33%
£33.29
Capcom
50%
£24.99 (Ends June 26)
World End SyndromeArc System Works90%£3.49
BustafellowsPQube33%£23.44
Spike Chunsoft
80%
£7.19
Ghost ParadeAksys90%£3.49 (Ends June 29)
Private Division
33%
£16.65 (Ends July 3)
Spiritfarer: Farewell EditionThunder Lotus67%£7.85
80%
£10.99
80%
£8.99
Dragon Ball Z Kakarot + New Powers AwakensBandai NAMCO Entertainment50%£24.99
STUDIOARTDINK
50%
£15.74
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's TrapSTUDIOARTDINK60%£7.19
Hello Games
70%
£4.04
Cozy GroveThe Quantum Astrophysicists Guild35%£7.13
United Label
67%
£5.99
TOEM
Something We Made
40%
£9.71
Mojiken, Toge Productions
65%
£2.48
Adriaan de Jongh
75%
£2.49
Triple Topping
75%
£2.99
Merge Games
80%
£2.39 (Ends June 14)
Versus Evil
60%
£7.19
CE-Asia
50%
£7.49
Revolution
80%
£4.99
OMNO
Studio Inkyfox
60%
£5.19
Night School
60%
£3.59
The Talos Principle: Deluxe EditionDevolver Digital80%
£5.39
Under Night in-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r]Aksys80%£6.99
BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle Special EditionArc System Works80%£8.99
Shantae Half-Genie HeroWayForward50%
£7.99 (Ends June 16)
Shantae and the Pirate's CurseWayForward50%
£7.29 (Ends June 16)
Shantae and the Seven SirensWayForward40%
£15.11 (Ends June 16)
Shantae: Risky's RevengeWayForward50%
£3.79 (Ends June 16)
Shantae (2021)WayForward30%
£5.24 (Ends June 16)
Regarding Shantae Half-Genie Hero you're better off getting the Ultimate Edition, as it includes all of the DLC and it's only £3 more than the regular. If you were to buy the regular edition, it would cost a further £11 to acquire the DLC to make it equivalent to the ultimate edition.

For £3.49 and a mention of horror that's an easy buy for me - used my left over points from earlier sale purchases. On horror VN types, I wanted to actually get Root:Film that's also reduced but not quite enough for me at £20; I recall adding it to my wishlist in the hopes of future sales after @WMD had recommended it a while back.

Thanks for sharing @SteadyHandMcDuff, I hadn't thought to do so myself! I had ended up getting the much-talked-about Hades, the very well reviewed indie title Spiritfarer, Valkyrie Chronicles as another heavily reduced one I'd added to my wishlist a while back probably off the back of some review. Lastly I got Luigi's mansion 3 at £34 as I've never seen Nintendo games reduced before (there are others there as well FYI), I've always wanted to try a Luigi's mansion game before and I'm going to try to rope my 5-year-old into it (so far having success with Switch Sports - will make a gamer/anime-head of her yet though I hope I don't live to regret it heh).

Others FYI that are reduced that I can't convince myself to stretch to are Re:zero (£20), octopath traveller (£25) and Angels of Death (another horror on my list though at about £7 I may yet buy it). I always find the Nintendo store (both online and in the switch) a right pain to navigate and stuffed with a lot of rubbish, so a good idea to share and provide heads-up on recommendations here.
No worries! Glad to do it. With so much heavily discounted, thought may as well make a small list for everyone.

Root:Film is on my wishlist too, but similarly at £20 felt there were better deals out there. Few other horror ones to add for future discounts if you haven't got them yet are The Letter, Evil Tonight, Raging Loop, & Viviette.

You've got quite the haul! All those games are top choices, but you're going to have a blast with Luigi's Mansion 3. I played it on my own and loved it (would rate it as one of the best Switch games I've played), but with your kid it'll be even better. It's full of the Nintendo charm & quality, and there's also a cute dog too. :)

Yeah it's not the best is it. I mostly go to recent releases, and add them to my wishlist asap to try and keep track the best I can. There's a good youtube channel that reviews the recent weekly indie releases on Switch (Steam too). ''Best Indie Games'' it's called. I find that helps to keep track.

Last edited:
Regarding Shantae Half-Genie Hero you're better off getting the Ultimate Edition, as it includes all of the DLC and it's only £3 more than the regular. If you were to buy the regular edition, it would cost a further £11 to acquire the DLC to make it equivalent to the ultimate edition.

Good spot! I've updated it now. Cheers.

Deeply disappointed we didn't get Machinegames. Was hoping for Wolf 3 or even id's possible Quake reboot.

P3P is like, why. Why Portable. Ugh.

Otherwise cool that there are more options to play Persona now.

Deeply disappointed we didn't get Machinegames. Was hoping for Wolf 3 or even id's possible Quake reboot.

P3P is like, why. Why Portable. Ugh.

Otherwise cool that there are more options to play Persona now.
Seeing as The New Colossus and Young Blood did poorly I'm not surprised that haven't announced another game. I didn't care for New Colossus, while New World Order was alternative history sci-fi the New Colossus was a step too far into the dumb for me. Like the difference between Saints Row 3 and 4.

I never bothered with Young Blood, it appeared to no longer be a story based shooter and instead became hub based where you just kept repeating the same areas over and over with annoying characters.

Seeing as The New Colossus and Young Blood did poorly I'm not surprised that haven't announced another game. I didn't care for New Colossus, while New World Order was alternative history sci-fi the New Colossus was a step too far into the dumb for me. Like the difference between Saints Row 3 and 4.

I never bothered with Young Blood, it appeared to no longer be a story based shooter and instead became hub based where you just kept repeating the same areas over and over with annoying characters.

The only reason I expect it because Pete Hines confirmed it, but yeah, as far as the actual game is concerned, New Colossus was a huge step down.

I was cool with the crazy story, that I actually liked as well as diving deeper into BJ's character, but they didn't know what to do with those huge areas. They didn't know how to balance the enemy AI and everyone is a master sniper - it's annoying.

New Order is one my favorite FPS games ever, I think.

I've got Youngblood but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm only interested because there's story and Arkane helped on level design but yeah, again, the game itself doesn't look too hot.

This "go bigger" mentality is stupid. Stick to tight gameplay in medium sized arenas and corridors and call it a day.

The only reason I expect it because Pete Hines confirmed it, but yeah, as far as the actual game is concerned, New Colossus was a huge step down.

I was cool with the crazy story, that I actually liked as well as diving deeper into BJ's character, but they didn't know what to do with those huge areas. They didn't know how to balance the enemy AI and everyone is a master sniper - it's annoying.

New Order is one my favorite FPS games ever, I think.

I've got Youngblood but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm only interested because there's story and Arkane helped on level design but yeah, again, the game itself doesn't look too hot.

This "go bigger" mentality is stupid. Stick to tight gameplay in medium sized arenas and corridors and call it a day.
It's like when they did Shadow Warrior which was pretty good and then Shadow Warrior 2 was suddenly randomly generated levels with damage types akin to Borderlands. I'm like why are you doing this? It may still be an fps, but it doesn't even feel like part of the same series anymore. I've not checked out Shadow Warrior 3, it's apparently pretty short for the full asking price.

As someone who has purchased Skyrim FIVE times and Fallout 4 THREE times (and if they do a PS5 upgrade F'it I'll buy it again) I am obviously hyped for Starfield but the biggest problem with it is starting to show.
It's been in development for over a decade and in that time we've had Mass Effect, No Man's Sky, Outer Worlds etc so when it came time for the BIG REVEAL of gameplay it all just looks generic and dated 🤷‍♂️ obviously I'm going to buy it so I'm hoping it's good but I'm definitely waiting until real people have played it (ie. Not YouTube reviewers!)

Also that warehouse gunfight gave some strong vibes of that faked Cyberpunk 'gameplay' but at the same time if it was fake they'd have made it run faster than 20fps 😂

Tbh I lost all hype for starfield after it was revealed to still be using the same 20 year old engine that is known to have many issues. Expect a buggy game that the modders will need to fix.
Oh yeah it's fully gonna be broken at launch but it just wouldn't be a Bethesda game if it wasn't!
I'm definitely looking forward to it but not hyped enough to preorder.
I'll just renew my GamePass sub for a month when it comes out.

Back