The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

Caligula-Overdose-PS4-Ann_Top.jpg

Caligula
is coming to PlayStation 4 as an updated remake/remaster! The game will be built from the ground up using the Unreal Engine 4 plus additional content including a new female protagonist, multiple endings, new characters, double the story scenario and an updated UI.

The game will be exclusive to PlayStation 4 when it hits Japan on 17th May 2018. More info via Gematsu.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 has been announced for PS4/XboxOne/Switch.

I'm pretty interested but I really hope this is more like the first game.

It certainly looks like the first game. I'm very excited for this, it's a day 1 purchase for me. I'd be interested in whatever Limited edition sets they do for it

Valkyria Chronicles is such a weird series...

The original still holds up as one of my favorite games to date, but then Sega seemed to spend the next decade trying to kill it, by sticking it onto the PSP, then not localizing it, then trying again but as some bizzare almost hack and slash RPG. And now it's back again, looking like the first one.

If it just plays like the first one, with some of the more interesting class tweaks from the PSP titles (and plays down the Valkyria magic aspect...) then I'd be over the moon, but for now, cautious hype.

So Bandai-Namco have put up a teaser site for what we can be safe in assuming is a My Hero Academia game (I mean it literally has MHA in the URL and the egg in the microwave is a reference to the show).

http://mhaoj.bn-ent.net/

I wonder what kinda game it could be, I'd be down for a warriors type game but I'm always down for warriors games. Countdown says 10 days so guess we don't need to wait too long to find out.

Anyone else totally bemused by the SW Battlefront lootbox "gambling" saga? Video games are the media and politicians' punching bag again, this time for encouraging kids to spend money without knowing what they're going to get... when capsule toys and trading cards have been doing the exact same thing for decades without anyone batting an eyelid.

Anyone else totally bemused by the SW Battlefront lootbox "gambling" saga? Video games are the media and politicians' punching bag again, this time for encouraging kids to spend money without knowing what they're going to get... when capsule toys and trading cards have been doing the exact same thing for decades without anyone batting an eyelid.
Yeah, but you don't pay £50 (and that's without gold editions and season passes, etc) to gain access to the place where the cards/Gashapon are sold!

As a massive gamer it's a huge issue for me. I remember back in the good old days when having to type in a line from a manual was a pain in the backside. Over the years it's gone from that to crappy drm like secure rom, unfinished games with day 1 patches, micro transactions, episodics, and more recently full on pay to win & premium in game currencies in full retail priced games (which now have an rrp of £50-£60 and I refuse to pay more than £30).

You give an inch and they take a mile. This kind of thing needs as much media attention as possible because it will rapidly ruin games. It doesn't benefit consumers in any way, shape or form and everything is designed around making it tempting enough and inconvenient enough that people feel the need to purchase so I can't understand why anybody would defend it. It's all done at the gamer's expense and whilst I'm under no illusion the company cares about it's consumers, they really are looking to see just how far they can push us and take advantage. They've already stolen your wallet and your watch, now they want your underpants too.

I'm glad this kind of rubbish has finally had the full on media attention it deserves because nobody ever made enough of a fuss with the other stuff.

Well, we as consumers still kind of have a choice though and the power here though, don't we? I mean if you don't like what a company's doing don't buy the games. I personally couldn't give a fig about pay to win and am not tempted by any of that stuff, but if other people are, well, that's their money to spend just as it is with all the other frivolous tat people blow their hard earned cash on.

I mean I buy plenty of Paradox DLC that's filled with "overwhelmingly negative" reviews on Steam from the same people who just complain about their business practices instead of the content, but they have a product they want to make a profit on and I like enough to pay for it. If other people don't like it enough to pay for it, nobody's forcing them to. Inflation's also a thing - I remember games costing £30 new too, but that about 20 years ago when petrol was 70p a litre and the minimum wage was £3.60. £50 is the new £30, games companies have staff to pay too and it takes a lot more of them and a lot more of their time to produce today's more complex and better looking games.

I wonder what kinda game it could be, I'd be down for a warriors type game but I'm always down for warriors games. Countdown says 10 days so guess we don't need to wait too long to find out.
If it's like playing many members of the cast I wouldn't be tempted as it would be treated like the aot game. If it's more like xenoverse, where you can put your own hero in the academy then I'd be tempted. That or go for an instant sell out and give players the choice to play as tsu for the whole game

This argument has already been beaten over the head with the fact that these are full priced games. In some games like shadow of mordor (another game deep in controversy) you'll have to endure tedious grinding or buy lootboxes to finish the campaign. Yes grinding is tedious, and maybe microtransactions are a tempting way to make things easier, but these games have made grinding worse and made what you buy random so you will keep paying until you have what you actually need. Really makes the publishers look like a caricature from a 1930s German propaganda ad.

Activision have also had plans leaked that they wouldn't only show you your opponents gear and make it available for purchase, but they will pair you with a more skilled player to make the gear look better, of course many of us who have been gamers for years know that effort is often better then gear.
Thing is microtransactions could actually work, if you know what you're getting, I think only overwatch has successfully done lootboxes without everyone throwing a fit as their lootboxes are mainly just outfits. Lootboxes in pretty much every other game though is like buying a toolbox that has random tools in it without making sure if it has anything you need in it first

I think part of the issue is that they literally built the game around it, it wasn't just skins that were purely cosmetic, it was skill cards that made you objectively stronger than people without them (in a competitive multiplayer game), not to mention that playable characters were also locked behind the system. I mean yeah you could unlock them by playing the game and grinding for the in-game currency but apparently someone worked it out and it could take like 4500 hours or around £2000 to unlock everything, which is a bit mental really (and let's not forget, this is content that is already on the disc you've paid money for, just locked so you can't access it so I personally don't compare it to DLC).

Don't get me wrong I'm kinda undecided if loot boxes are really gambling, but I do think they are exploitative as %$&£, especially when the items have a real effect on the game and getting the ones you want is completely random (if you get them at all, I remember grinding the crap out an Overwatch event for a Tracer skin and got nearly every single one bar the one I wanted. Thankfully people moaned about that system and Blizzard changed it so you could buy skins using ingame gold during events, albeit at a higher price than other skins).

I have no real stake in this as I was never really gonna buy the game (still not watched Star Wars, despite buying the BDs with the intention of doing so) but I'm glad they got called out on it as they crossed the line imo.

With all my rambling above said, this

Inflation's also a thing - I remember games costing £30 new too, but that about 20 years ago when petrol was 70p a litre and the minimum wage was £3.60. £50 is the new £30, games companies have staff to pay too and it takes a lot more of them and a lot more of their time to produce today's more complex and better looking games.

I think is a very valid point, games are more expensive to make now days (I mean I'm sure sales are also a lot higher, but doubt enough to offset that) and prices have been at a standstill. Personally, I wouldn't mind an increase in price if it meant I got a complete product without any BS, probably save me money actually as I buy far too many games just now and never actually play them and it would help me stop doing that. :p

Last edited:
still not watched Star Wars
:eek: How does this happen?
Seriously though skip 1-3 and watch Rouge One followed by 4-6. Especially if you've somehow managed to avoid spoilers (avoid the The Simpsons episode I Married Marge ;))
Then if you don't mind certain characters getting ruined watch 1-3 and then 7 or just go straight to 7.

:eek: How does this happen?
Seriously though skip 1-3 and watch Rouge One followed by 4-6. Especially if you've somehow managed to avoid spoilers (avoid the The Simpsons episode I Married Marge ;))
Then if you don't mind certain characters getting ruined watch 1-3 and then 7 or just go straight to 7.
This is pretty much why I never bothered :p everytime I mentioned it I got told numerous times that I should be watching this way or that way or some other way and thought "screw this" lol I'll get around to it. Maybe. And I'll do it by watching disc 1, then 2, then 3 and so on just to annoy everyone lol

Capcom unveiled some new announcements over the past week.

Mega Man X Collection is coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC in 2018. This will include all 8 Mega Man X games in one bundle.

Mega Man 11 is coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC in late 2018. This will also be the first mainline Mega Man title (of the 10 already made) to be in 3D, similar to Mighty No. 9.

Mega Man Legacy Collections 1 & 2 will be coming to Nintendo Switch in 2018. These are already available for other platforms.

Devil May Cry HD Collection will be coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC in March 13th 2018 for digital & retail at SRP $29.99. This collection includes Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry 2 and Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition. This collection is already available for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360.

Man, only Kojima could make a nigh 10 minute trailer and still have the audience come out the other side knowing nothing about a game. I have no idea what it is, but I'm sure as hell gonna buy it.

Bayonetta 3 AND Soulcalibur VI make me so happy, I'll also be picking up 1 and 2. Never actually finished Zelda but whenever I do I'll pick up the DLC afterwards in the hope it has actual story to keep me interested. I hope we see more of From Software's new game at PSX, I can't wait much longer to find out if it is indeed Bloodborne 2 ;_; I like need it to be Bloodborne 2.

Bayonetta 3 AND Soulcalibur VI make me so happy, I'll also be picking up 1 and 2. Never actually finished Zelda but whenever I do I'll pick up the DLC afterwards in the hope it has actual story to keep me interested. I hope we see more of From Software's new game at PSX, I can't wait much longer to find out if it is indeed Bloodborne 2 ;_; I like need it to be Bloodborne 2.

You know, I really don't think it is Bloodborne 2. The music seems very Japanese, and the background of the trailer shows writing that also looks Japanese. Unless they're massively changing the setting from the first game to something set in Japan, I'm unsure this is a Bloodborne sequel.

Back