The Football Thread

Are we watching the semi-final tonight? I've been watching the women's football for a few years and the improvement in the play has been amazing. The ladies game has gone from being something to be mocked and laughed at to something being shown prime time in BBC 1.

Come on The Lionesses!!!

Are we watching the semi-final tonight? I've been watching the women's football for a few years and the improvement in the play has been amazing. The ladies game has gone from being something to be mocked and laughed at to something being shown prime time in BBC 1.

Come on The Lionesses!!!

Hopefully catch the second half. Going to the cinema this evening to see Spiderman but should be back in time for it.

It would certainly be potent but Arsenal thinking they will get anywhere with 40mil bids is laughable.
Anyone that thinks it's a serious bid is a bit deluded. It's just tactics that Sanllehi is playing. Might backfire, might not. Most probably will but it's honestly down to how much Zaha wants to force the move. No point in keeping a player that doesn't want to be there on his kind of wages (highest paid CP player I believe?) and wont put in the performances. I doubt he'll put in a transfer request considering how much money he will personally lose because of it but you never know. This is gonna go down to deadline day for sure haha. I don't think it will happen and honestly I would rather we focused on our pathetic defence instead.

Yeah, Kroenke wants Arssneal to get better and isn't putting a penny into the club's transfers funds from what I've read.
Even Mike Ashley has put more into Newcastle lol.
It would be interesting to see a frontline of Laca, Auba and Zaha.
He hasn't put a single penny in nope, and he never will. He's mental if he thinks Arsenal can seriously compete on a self sustained business, but he's not mental. His comments about how he wants Arsenal to win the Prem and CL are laughable and a lie. He doesn't care as long as we continue to make a profit and keep generating money to fund his other projects. A lot of rot behind the scenes in this club and it will take many years to clear.
In the meantime, the only people that suffer are the fans. Of course. I'm in a real dilemma on whether to get the new shirt because while it's one of the nicest we've seen for ages and I haven't bought a home kit for years now, I'm really hating the lack of ambition the board is showing. Might wait and see how they act during this transfer window.

nyone that thinks it's a serious bid is a bit deluded. It's just tactics that Sanllehi is playing. Might backfire, might not. Most probably will but it's honestly down to how much Zaha wants to force the move. No point in keeping a player that doesn't want to be there on his kind of wages (highest paid CP player I believe?) and wont put in the performances. I doubt he'll put in a transfer request considering how much money he will personally lose because of it but you never know. This is gonna go down to deadline day for sure haha. I don't think it will happen and honestly I would rather we focused on our pathetic defence instead.
My mate at work who's an Arsenal fan said pretty much those exact words!

One of my friends is a Newcastle fan and he joked at least I'm not an Arsenal, Spurs or United fan lol.
But I do hope they can get back some form rather than it in patches
I mean, we've gone from 10 years of contending for Europe and the later stages of cup competition for a good portion of it to a single season above the top 10 in the most recent 10 years (including two seasons in the Championship). I'd take Arsenal, Spurs or United's position over ours any day :p

On more positive notes, the Lionesses did do very well last night. It was a bit heartbreaking with the missed penalty and disallowed goal but ultimately a semi-final defeat to the best team in the world (who we pushed the whole way, I'd add) is a good result for the tourney.

Right my annual crack at trying to be clever with my Fantasy Team before realising I'm short of money and filling in the gaps with any old cheap player. Not sure Mount and Barkley will play at the same time, so might change one of them:
Screenshot_20190806-142142.png

Right my annual crack at trying to be clever with my Fantasy Team before realising I'm short of money and filling in the gaps with any old cheap player. Not sure Mount and Barkley will play at the same time, so might change one of them:
View attachment 9825
I've been trying to make a team to play with my friends in our yearly league. I'm torn between TAA and Robertson, TAA if given more minutes will give me a better return.

Might i suggest that you downgrade Van Dijk to a 6m defender? then upgrade mount to Perez or Tielemans of Leicester? or maybe just change him for Ceballos of Arsenal and use the £0.5m to upgrade elsewhere

I mean, we've gone from 10 years of contending for Europe and the later stages of cup competition for a good portion of it to a single season above the top 10 in the most recent 10 years (including two seasons in the Championship). I'd take Arsenal, Spurs or United's position over ours any day :p

On more positive notes, the Lionesses did do very well last night. It was a bit heartbreaking with the missed penalty and disallowed goal but ultimately a semi-final defeat to the best team in the world (who we pushed the whole way, I'd add) is a good result for the tourney.
Ha ha ha true and indeed a very good showing.

I've been trying to make a team to play with my friends in our yearly league. I'm torn between TAA and Robertson, TAA if given more minutes will give me a better return.

Might i suggest that you downgrade Van Dijk to a 6m defender? then upgrade mount to Perez or Tielemans of Leicester? or maybe just change him for Ceballos of Arsenal and use the £0.5m to upgrade elsewhere
NIce, I've a FPL leauge started for anyone interested and can DM the invite codes for anyone interested just let me know on here or discord to avoid randoms

If you post your team and budget we can try help you
joining.

Might i suggest that you downgrade Van Dijk to a 6m defender? then upgrade mount to Perez or Tielemans of Leicester? or maybe just change him for Ceballos of Arsenal and use
Went Gomez. He was a first team pick before injury and played Sunday so seems to be again. Saves £1m which I spent on Milivojevic who takes pens for Palace, who have 2 of the promoted teams in their first 4 games.
Probably get less pens for Zaha's diving due to VAR, but might get more other ones.

Went Gomez. He was a first team pick before injury and played Sunday so seems to be again. Saves £1m which I spent on Milivojevic who takes pens for Palace, who have 2 of the promoted teams in their first 4 games.
Probably get less pens for Zaha's diving due to VAR, but might get more other ones.
If you look at the 4.5 options they can help balance your squad like Dedoncker on Wolves and such.
Villa and other teams have 4.5 options also but try look for one s that can be good bench options also.

@Patient-X Dont think Rojo will play much this season with Maguire and Lindelof now ahead of him.

I dont play FF anymore, messes with my head when i have lots of rivals players in my team and im cheering them on almost. Prefer just hoping they all play badly every week. 😊

@Patient-X Dont think Rojo will play much this season with Maguire and Lindelof now ahead of him.

I dont play FF anymore, messes with my head when i have lots of rivals players in my team and im cheering them on almost. Prefer just hoping they all play badly every week. 😊
If he doesn't play he won't lose me any points I guess....damage limitation 😅

Dont think Rojo will play much this season with Maguire and Lindelof now ahead of him.
Also Tammy seems to be Lampards pick to start matches. At least for now and although Giroud is good off the bench we'll probably have Bats on the bench as well, so the sub will be horses for courses.

Soccer o_O I really hate that term, just the way it sounds, especially when American footballers spend most of their time with the ball in their hands :p.

VAR this season... I don't think it's ready for the premier league and the full on rage of supporters.
I'm a supporter of the Tottyham, always the bridesmaids never the bride but this season could be good, hopefully I can get a ticket to the game Saturday. Favourite player is Hueng-Min Son and I've been raving about him since he was a sporadic player.

I'm not an avid supporter.... I don't hate rival teams etc (except Arsenal ;)) and used to support Chelsea when I was young.
I do get into games but I don't go into a deep sobbing depression when they lose and I am happy so long as a game is dynamic and good, either way it's going. I will always stay till the end of a match if I am there and clap the players even if they had a bad match, they might be paid ridiculous amounts of dosh but that doesn't mean they don't have feelings and I think you should support your team through the good and the bad.

I do think it's acceptible to acknowledge and criticise poor performance and badly played matches though as long as it's constructive. I think the UEFA Championship Semi Final was one of the best matches I have seen for a long time, nailbiting and very entertaining but the Final is one of the worst matches I have EVER seen both Tottenham and Liverpool played terribly.

Back