The football thread!

How can Samaras in a game were he sets up and scores a goal still manage to be incredibly frustrating :evil:

Celtic won, and won well, so I'll put Sammy's silliness to the side. The defence and midfield were pretty dodgy first half, had Forster to thank for keeping us ahead, but we tightened our shape second half and now look good to qualify. Kris Commons continues to be absolutely dazzling, dragging us to vital wins/points with his goals early this season. If we get through the 2nd leg then it's going to be a busy final couple of days in the transfer window brining guys in.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCPHGd0OuY4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCPHGd0OuY4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

nuff said

MercenaryRaiden said:
Why are we 2-1 up against Chelsea at their place after thirty minutes...?

What the heck is going on!?

And from the sounds of it, you're kicking our **** as well! Eep!

Phew, that was a real wake-up call for us, especially lucky since I hear Torres' goal was offside :oops: Still a win's a win, Chelsea need to step it up, Hazard seems to be delivering the goods with his assists so far.

Another struggle, but a win's a win. That Torres goal was offside but no use debating what is already done. I wish RDM would find a better left back. Ashley Cole is useless.

Hearts have been doing very well first half against Liverpool. I was suspecting something similar to the Spurs game last season to occur but not so it seems. Liverpool intent on trying to play themselves out form the back and it's just not working, may be their biggest downfall this season, lack of a plan B.

20thCenturyBoy said:
Hearts have been doing very well first half against Liverpool. I was suspecting something similar to the Spurs game last season to occur but not so it seems. Liverpool intent on trying to play themselves out form the back and it's just not working, may be their biggest downfall this season, lack of a plan B.

Liverpool improved in the second half. Like the last round the Reds come away with a 1-0 away win.

Celtic through to the Champions League, absolutely delighted :D

4 years feels like a long time being away from it, but it's good to be back, eagerly anticipating tomorrows draw. Getting there also means that signings will be coming in thanks to the money, I fully expect at least 3 decent players signed up before Friday night, wouldn't be surprised if the first of which is close to complete before tomorrow is out.

Samaras was tremendous again, he's really up for it this season. First goal was clearly offside but it's about time we got a bit of luck like that. In all honesty Helsinborgs never gave much of a threat and I feel we could have kicked on a bit more if it was really necessary.

Oh wow, that was a very interesting Champions League draw. Group D is a proper Champions League with Real Madrid, Man City, Ajax and Borussia Dortmund! Group E is interesting, Donetsk are always really hard, Juventus of course are coming off an unbeaten season but I'm not familiar with FC Nordsjaelland. Still it could have been a lot worse for Chelsea so I'm content.

Barcelona and Benfica AGAIN?! We always seem to get them, someone different would've been nice. Oh well, can't complain. Sure there were easier groups to get but there were definitely worse *cough*D*cough*. Spartak will be an interesting one with McGeady coming back to play against us. Man Utd got a seriously simple looking group, Arsenal's is decent for them too.

20thCenturyBoy said:
Barcelona and Benfica AGAIN?! We always seem to get them, someone different would've been nice. Oh well, can't complain. Sure there were easier groups to get but there were definitely worse *cough*D*cough*. Spartak will be an interesting one with McGeady coming back to play against us. Man Utd got a seriously simple looking group, Arsenal's is decent for them too.
Real Madrid vs Man City is the one to look out for. Chelsea vs Juventus will be good too.

MaxonTreik said:
Man United and Barcelona get the easy groups as always. That Group D looks very exciting though.
The only really tough draws from pot 2 were Valencia and Man City, bit ridiculous that the champions of the two strongest leagues can face each other this early. If anyone got an easier draw than they deserved, it was Arsenal!

So that turned out ot be a rather uninspiring deadline day, for me personally anyway. Celtic got in a centre half and striker as I had hoped, but also landed a 3rd choice keeper? No exactly the position we were in desperate need of covering. I'm disappointed moves were not made for Johnny Russell and David Templeton, the latter of whom has shown his lack of ambition by deciding to drop down to division 3. I hope to God he rots down there, a total waste. Apparently we're in talks with another striker, a free agent, so got until Monday to get them signed if we want them for Champions League.

Arsenal get rid of the deadwood with Bendtner and Park out on loan, but don't sign anyone...at all! I'm calling it now that the injuries mount up and the lack of depth in squad is exposed once again, out of the title race before christmas and when the January window rolls around Wenger will say he doesn't need to sign anyone because all the injured players are coming back. So frustrating.

Now Arsenal are up and running. Superb performance by the Gunners today, a solid, disciplined performance. The defence is looking so good right now in comparison to seasons past, Vermaelen was onto everything and Mert made a really well timed challenge on Sterling. The game was ultimately won in midfield though, were Arteta and Diaby absolutely bossed it. Whereas Gerrard was very sloppy these guys had amazing ball retention. That's the advantage of playing Arteta deeper, though I am still wary of him there as he's not going to break up as many attacks as other DMs can. Great to see Podolski and Cazorla off the mark, Giroud just needs a bit more time, but I get the feeling he's going to only have on or two chances per game the way this team plays now. This isn't a workshy Arsenal team, which is quite refreshing. Everyone was getting back and getting stuck in, other than Giroud, on quite a few occassions Podolski was back at left back helping out. Too often in the past Arsenal have been exposed down the flanks with wingers unwilling to track back and cover, think Steve Bould is having a big role to play in how defensively disciplined they are now. 3 games and 3 clean sheets.

Oh, and I really hate Man Utd and Van Persie. You could just see that coming.

Back