The football thread!

It's hardly RVP's fault that Arsenal can't hang on to any players. Surely you direct the hate at your owner's and management who can't convince players that they are going to be challenging for the title any time soon, and won't shell out the cash to prove otherwise.

I think the RvP hate is more to do with the statement he released in which he publicly disparaged the club and Wenger. That's left a sour taste in the mouths of Arsenal fans. I don't think anybody begrudges a player of RvP's quality moving to a club he feels is more likely to win trophies, especially at his age, although if he'd given it one more year he COULD conceivably won something with Arsenal; if he managed 30 goals last season with little quality service from midfield, one can only dream about how many he could have scored with Cazorla, who's already looking to be the creative force Arsenal were missing last season after the departures of Cesc and Nasri, playing behind him.

But if our best players leaving year after year, the team's failures that those players publicly or privately cite as a reason for wanting out become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Although it must be said that in a lot of cases, players angling for moves away from Arsenal is as much about money as success, despite what they actually claim. Arsenal can't and won't pay players £200k a week. Other clubs will.

fabricated pretty much gets the nail on the head and let's not kid ourselves this really, really is all about the money. If he was getting £200k a week he'd happily stay at Arsenal even if they never won anything ever again. The only big player I believe didn't leave for money (at least not exclusively/primarily) was Cesc, and that's because he was always destined to go back to Barca, that's who he is, it's in his blood.

I'm not on Piers Morgan levels, it's very simple: Van Persie plays for Man Utd, I hate Man Utd. I hate to see them win and he goes a long way to helping them win.

ilmaestro said:
and won't shell out the cash to prove otherwise.
I don't think anyone is under any illusion about how important money is... it's money, it has been of a pretty high level of importance in more things than football, and for longer than the Premier League has been controlled by foreign owners.

Cazorla does look the real deal, though, that I will agree with.

So excited for the Champions League starting back up tomorrow! (I know it's really today but my team plays tomorrow).

Will be going round to watch it with my uncle. Cheeseless pizza from Dominos and some bottles of Paulaner! Perfect :twisted:

The Real Madrid v Man City match started slowly, but the second half was breathlessly entertaining. Some great goals, City worked hard, but Madrid deserve the win.

Lifeless performance by Celtic tonight, not exactly the return to the Champions League we were hoping for. Game passed by without any incident of any sort from either side, dull dross of a game.

At least there is one club from Merseyside left in the cup :D . Considering the team was mostly kids (apart from Carragher, Jones and Downing everyone was 24 and younger with Jerome Sinclair coming off the bench to become the Red's youngest every player at 16 years and 6 days) it was a very good performance.

Next round it is home to Swansea.

MaxonTreik said:
I think beating Arsenal away with that performance says that Chelsea are like a new team. They're title contenders for sure now.

Definetly, I think the title's more likely to end up back in London this year than Manchester, one way or another. Felt Arsenal were unlucky, the defending as a whole has been much better this season, but that's the last 2 games now we've given away sloppy set piece goals. Koscielny was big fault for both of them, it was strange Mertersacker was dropped for yesterday considering how well he's started this year alongside Vermalean. Lacked just a little bit of cutting edge in the final third, Chamberlain only put in 1 decent ball the whole game, which they scored from, him coming on for Diaby also hindered the tactics a bit. Giroud is a strange one right now, he gets himself into great positions, makes great runs, has a good touch and then just fluffs his finish. Though Torres' fresh air shot was funnier :lol: .

Cracking game at Old Trafford, just mad for goals and absolutely delighted to see Man U lose. It's been coming for them so far this season, they've really not looked convincing at all. Someone seriosuly needs to take Ferdinand out back and put old yeller down, he was made to look like an absolute dinosaur yet again. Ferguson had a real cheek to complain about the time added on at the end, when it came up 4 minutes my dad and I questioned that as there was absolutley no stoppages in the second half. Yet Ferguson feels 4 minutes is insulting?! You just know their next game there's going to be about 6 added on now to appease him. His attitude/sense of entitlement disgusts me no end.

Back