The football thread!

20thCenturyBoy said:
Cracking game at Old Trafford, just mad for goals and absolutely delighted to see Man U lose. It's been coming for them so far this season, they've really not looked convincing at all. Someone seriosuly needs to take Ferdinand out back and put old yeller down, he was made to look like an absolute dinosaur yet again. Ferguson had a real cheek to complain about the time added on at the end, when it came up 4 minutes my dad and I questioned that as there was absolutley no stoppages in the second half. Yet Ferguson feels 4 minutes is insulting?! You just know they're next game there's going to be about 6 added on now to appease him. His attitude/sense of entitlement disgusts me no end.
I was glad to see them lose too, mostly because my brother is a Man Utd fan :lol:. I guess Fergie was pissed because they didn't get "Fergie Time" (enough added time at Old Trafford for them to not lose).

20thCenturyBoy said:
Ferguson had a real cheek to complain about the time added on at the end, when it came up 4 minutes my dad and I questioned that as there was absolutley no stoppages in the second half. Yet Ferguson feels 4 minutes is insulting?! You just know their next game there's going to be about 6 added on now to appease him. His attitude/sense of entitlement disgusts me no end.

You mean like when he complained that Man Utd hadn't won a penalty at Anfield since 2007 and low and behold a gust of wind blew Valencia over for a Utd penalty (Utd also got lucky with the red card decision as Evans should have also gone since he went into the tackle studs showing off the ground - Shelvey got punished for winning the tackle when they should have either both gone or neither).

Very very happy with Chelsea's win against Arsenal. The performance was very encouraging and I'm very optimistic about our chances for silverware this season! (Very thankful that Cech made those two saves in the 2nd half however) Tottenham beating Man Utd was most satisfying indeed, Fergie's in no position to complain about the lack of injury time though. Must say that Everton have seriously been impressive this season so far, it'd be very interesting if they can keep up that form throughout.

Ath said:
Must say that Everton have seriously been impressive this season so far, it'd be very interesting if they can keep up that form throughout.
No kidding. I have Baines, Fellaini and Jelavic in my fantasy league team and they're racking up a good amount of points.

MaxonTreik said:
No kidding. I have Baines, Fellaini and Jelavic in my fantasy league team and they're racking up a good amount of points.

I've got Fellaini and Jelavic too, but when I picked my team early last week for the games there at the weekend it was telling me Jelavic was going to be injured so I left him out :(

C'mon Celtic! Brillaint win, bloody brilliant. Can't explain what it feels like to have finally won an away game in CL proper. Thought the team played superbly, knew what they had set out to do first half, scored a great goal but just couldn't hang on til half time. 2nd half started poorly and conceded but thanks to a deserved red card, which the ref took about 2 minutes to actually award a foul for, we got back into it. An excellent built of build up play and bit of fortune with the Forrest shot rebounding in and then in the last minute a whipped ball in from Izzy, first good delivery all season, and big Sammy rose to the ocassion once again :D . I actually joked with my friend when we went 2-1 down that Barca were in the exact same position the first game against Spartak and came back to win 3-2 and we'd just do the same, didn't think it would actually happen :lol:

Bring on the Barcelona!

So it's the big game tonight. Barcelona vs. Celtic. I'm excited to say the least :D . We'll probably get hammered but my team has given me confidence to try and believe this season (and Barca's defence give me just a bit more too). I'm going to be bold and put £1 on Celtic to win and £1 on the draw, the odds are big on each so I'll be well covered and have even more of a reason to be pleased if we get anything from the game.

Must say I'm extremely disappointed in ITV, they have rights to Tuesday games involving British teams and instead of showing this match they're showing Man Utd against Braga instead... :? It's baffling bias once again against us Scots :p .

:( Gutted....Absolutely gutted.

Last kick of the ball in both halves! Where the hell did that ref get 4 minutes added for the 2nd half?!

Nevermind. Bhoys done great tonight, so unlucky, gives me even more confidence that we'll beat this Barca mob when they come to Parkhead. Forster had an outstanding game in goal, Big Sammy rose to the ocassion once again but went off with a horrible injury, Kelvin Wilson made the tackle of his life tonight on Messi, as someone said to me in the pub "he'll frame that one and hang it on his wall".

What made the final result even more depressing was the fact I had £1 on the draw and £1 on 1-1.

I just get depressed watching Arsenal now :( . Games against Man Utd used to be the biggest fixtures of the season, now it's also rans against their clashes with City, Chelsea and even Liverpool! It's just a game they go into I expect them to simply not win. Scoreline could've been bigger yesterday but for some shocking finishing from Man Utd. Arsenal's system of play remains an issue with me for the team, yes, they're not great at defending but defending doesn't start on your own 18 yard line it starts on your opponent's. One of the reasons the likes of Man U dominate and win so many games is because they actually attack their opponents, the more men they have forward the harder it is for the opposition to properly clear their lines and get out. Obviously it doesn't always work, and I'm not saying Arsenal should throw the whole team forward, but at least commit more than ONE man in the box! There's just these huge gaps in space between the lines of the formation and whenever an Arsenal player is in possession the nearest man is usually at least 10-15 yards away. Highbury was a narrow and tight pitch, so Arsenal generally played very close together, little triangles of players all within five yards of one another, Barca before Barca. But now you could march a whole team through the gaps in the Arsenal side, they all stand in their positions afraid to make a move, waiting for the ball to somehow come to them and then imagine their opponents will also choose to stand completely still. There's no fluidity, no movement. I've got huge respect for Wenger, but I always end up saying this at some point throughout the last few seasons; he seriously has to think about stepping back. Change for both the club and himself, he's just too stubborn and set in his ways, I think if he was at another club we'd see the best of him again. I don't think he should be sacked, but I'd like to see him have the sense to know when he's done all he can. He's run the club off the pitch tremendously well, he should probably take an upstairs role, using his time to do what he does best: go and scout talent, overseeing the youth academy, etc. It's hard to tell at this point exactly where we're going to finish, normally I'd say safely in the top 4, which is always the target, but the form of certain teams makes things uncertain. I'll wait until after the January transfer window to make a solid prediction, but right now I'm really not sure.

I caught the second half yesterday and was shocked at how poor Arsenal were - they looked far less likely to score against Man Utd than Chelsea did with nine men last Sunday. That said, Arsenal's late, late consolation helped win me £50, so I was happy with the result. :D

20thCenturyBoy said:
gives me even more confidence that we'll beat this Barca mob when they come to Parkhead.

SO called it. Stunning display, just breathtaking stuff from Celtic. Watt a way to celebrate the club's 125th Anniversary!

Every man on the park put his heart and soul into that display and showed the world what we're made of. The valuations (and interest) in some of our players will skyrocket after that; Wanyama was an absolute beast, Forster made some incredible stops, getting the feintest of touches to a Messi shot onto the bar. He should honestly be starting ahead of Joe Hart for England, he can't even organise his defence to defend corners against Ajax! Tony Watt...Once again a young player of ours truly announces his presence when playing against Barca, add the fact I had 50p on him to score anytime and Celtic to win at 18/1 and I love him all the more.

And all the rest too, there wasn't a bad performer out there for us. Can't believe Alex Song never got sent off though, the ref had already warned him for a foul after his yellow so how he got away with another one was beyond belief. Doesn't matter in the end, we won, they didn't. Onto Benfica next, a win there and we're qualified, think we'll only get a draw at best though.

Just had to watch the highlights for England/Sweden from last night. What a goal from Ibrahimovic! The man is just sheer class, think the English pundits/media might finally give him the praise he's always deserved, they've always criticised him for "not producing against big teams/against English teams", which is far from the truth. I honestly can't believe Joe Hart played last night. The guy is in terrible form, responsible for 2 of the goals last night, meanwhile Fraser Forster is putting in stunning displays against the best team in the world but can't get a game, in a friendly, because he doesn't play in England. Ridiculous.

Get in there! Brilliant night for Celtic last night.

Samaras proves once again exactly why he's our best player by a country mile on his day (never a penalty though), totally deserved to qualify from the group with our performances this year. Just hoping to avoid any of the Germans in the next round, best draw (for a result) would be Juve, PSG or Man Utd, I'm tired of us playing Man Utd though.

Well I went to Elland Road tonight and we got outclassed in the second half. No repeat of Celtic/Barcelona for us. Another good cup run is over and we can look back on it with pride.

Come on Bradford in the semis!

I'm hoping either Villa or Swansea win the League Cup, think it would be great for either side and both have very good managers that I like.

Meanwhile, the Champions League Last 16 draw happened earlier today...

Galatasaray v FC Schalke
Celtic v Juventus
Arsenal v Bayern Munich
Shakhtar Donetsk v Borussia Dortmund
AC Milan v Barcelona
Real Madrid v Manchester United
Valencia v Paris St Germain
FC Porto v Malaga

20thCenturyBoy said:
Just hoping to avoid any of the Germans in the next round, best draw (for a result) would be Juve, PSG or Man Utd, I'm tired of us playing Man Utd though.

Just as I had hoped we got Juve, no doubt they're a really good team cruising through Seria A at the moment, but they're not the quickest and lack firepower, though they may now rectify that in January. It gives us a chance at least I feel.

Think Arsenal shouldn't bother getting on the flight to Munich, we are going to get slaughtered by Bayern. That Man U/Real looks rather tasty, doesn't it? Goals galore, Ronaldo's return, red cards and a manager scuffle I'm thinking. Barca will sweep AC aside, Dortmund will have it tricky in Donetsk but think they'll come out on top overall, expect a few goals between those two too. Schalke have got the easiest tie, and think the last 2 are eachy-peachy.

Arsenal! Just the draw I wanted :D

Bayern have a tough german cup match against Dortmund in between these two CL matches so glad Dortmund didn't get an easy draw! Last season we got slaughtered by them because Bayern were in 3 competitions still and Dortmund crashed out of the CL in the group stage.

So things will be more equal this time!

Back