The football thread!

Celtic through to the final Champions League play-off tonight! Great result! Thought the ref was abysmal, an absolute homer. Constantly giving soft fouls to them and his decision to send off Wanyama was shocking :evil: . Both of Wanyama's fouls amounted to just the one card in my opinion, what made it worse was that he was the only player to be booked at that point.

Samaras had one of his "hot" performances, took his goal really well. Commons continues his revival, looking our best player early doors. And Ledley was class as always, done a Balotelli and shouldered the ball into the net.

Interesting to see who we're going to get in Friday's draw, think we'll be back to dining at that big table of Champions League football, but really quite annoyed we'll be missing Wanyama for the first leg.

Of all the players to all the clubs...it had to be this one :cry:

Man Utd agree Van Persie deal

What is it with Arsenal captains and leaving the club. I hope the armband is given to Arshavin and the curse quickly continues :lol: .

My feelings are mixed. Obviously very disappointed to have lost him, but at least means the club have a while to bring in players still rather than deadline day like last year. Also hoping that Van Persie recovers his injury form (been about 18 months without a major one) and just sits on the treatment table at Old Trafford.

£24m for a 29 year-old with that kind of injury record? Wenger does it again. As much as I'd have liked RvP to stay, I can't begrudge him for wanting to move to a club at which he'd have a realistic chance winning trophies, except that like Nasri he was going on about only wanting to win things with Arsenal not long before he decided he wanted out.

I just wish he'd gone abroad rather than to another Premier League club. He'd already burnt his bridges with the Arsenal fans with that statement he released, and now going to Utd... cripes. He could've been an Arsenal legend, and now he'll get what Nasri and Adebayor get. What a pity.

So neither of my teams did that well today :(

Celtic were god awful, acting like it was a training match up until the last 5 minutes. Very lucky to get away with a draw.

Arsenal were a bit more encouraging. Cazorla looked great, really made things happen. Couple of decent chances that weren't taken, Giroud in particular should've buried his chance. Think things will pick up once the team settles in, there'll still be more players to come in especially with it now confirmed that Song has gone too. About 3 seasons ago I loved Song, he was the man the team had been crying out for to replace the whole left by Gilberto Silva. But over last couple seasons he's actually become worse defensively, instead opting to amble forward, and while this has reulted ina number of crucial assists it's been much more to the team's detriment at the other end. Hope Wenger brings in a real sitting defensive mid, De Jong from City would be my top choice.

Some mad results in the rest of the Premiership: Liverpool were terrible, still got a lot of problems from last season. Didn't see either of the 5-0 results coming! Think Norwich could be in real trouble this year.

Wasn't an inspiring game from Chelsea, but 0-2 is enough. Was impressed by Hazard at times.

Anyone interested in starting a Fantasy League for AUKN? I've already made an account on the Premier League website and picked my players.

MaxonTreik said:
Wasn't an inspiring game from Chelsea, but 0-2 is enough. Was impressed by Hazard at times.

Anyone interested in starting a Fantasy League for AUKN? I've already made an account on the Premier League website and picked my players.

Chelsea started like a train got the 2 goal lead and seemed to decide that the game was over. Wigan were unlucky, missing some golden opportunities. After those first few minutes I hought Wigan could be in for another long season but the number of chances they created shows that if they manage to keep that up and put some of them away they'll survive again.

Hazard did look good, surprisingly almost as when players seem to rate themselves so highly they can often fail and people will most definetly be looking for them to do so. Torres was unlucky not to score, I would like to see him do well this year, but obviously not too well.

I'm up for doing a fantasy league, hopefully more people are too.

20thCenturyBoy said:
MaxonTreik said:

Chelsea started like a train got the 2 goal lead and seemed to decide that the game was over. Wigan were unlucky, missing some golden opportunities. After those first few minutes I hought Wigan could be in for another long season but the number of chances they created shows that if they manage to keep that up and put some of them away they'll survive again.

Hazard did look good, surprisingly almost as when players seem to rate themselves so highly they can often fail and people will most definetly be looking for them to do so. Torres was unlucky not to score, I would like to see him do well this year, but obviously not too well.

I'm up for doing a fantasy league, hopefully more people are too.
I don't want to take anything away from Wigan, but I feel that their chances came down to Chelsea's defence being rather weak at times (mostly Ashley Cole being useless), and despite having so many chances they couldn't finish any of them. Not to mention Moses could be leaving them for Chelsea anyway, so they'll soon lack the pace needed for those chances.

Everton were absolutely brilliant tonight. Totally deserved the win, they were definitely the better team. Definitely good to have the Premier League back, it was a really exciting weekend, and with Chelsea winning I'm very happy indeed. I'd gladly sign up for a fantasy league, got my team Hondacar FC set up already (mixed fortunes for my first team selection though).

Didn't see the game tonight but absolutely delighted Man Utd got beat :lol:

I've signed up and picked my team (The Going Merry) for the next round of games, I'll make the league if people want. What does everyone want a classic league or head to head?

Man U looked super not ready for the season, although to some extent they "actually" weren't with the problems at center back. Rooney looked terribly unfit again, though, not sure why he wasn't subbed. Nani also looks confused sometimes when he has Valencia playing outside him.

I really enjoyed Manchester United losing it always gives me a smile on my face (the only team I can say that for)

Joined the Fantasy League, team name PenguinFC

Back