So, perhaps to confirm what seemed obvious about these new EVA dubs, particularly with 3.0 + 1.01, here's something.

Was listening to an interview with Joe Fria, the dub director for these new versions of these films and I thought this extract (that's little abridged but carries the key information) was interesting:

"The system we usually go through when we are doing a dub is we are given a translation and then we have a team of adapters that adapt the translation to our technology so it looks like it fits the mouths and it sounds like we would talk in a normal casual fashion."

"That's an artistry in of itself because you're taking something directly translated which often times can sound awkward and trying to make it sound natural."

"With 3.0 + 1.01 we weren't permitted to adapt it, so we were given Dan Kanemitsu's translation, we put that into our technology and that meant was we kinda had to work around the sync (mouth flaps). it wasn't Japans priority for there to be really good sync, the priority was to tell the story.... English dub fans want the sync to be as good as possible but when you have a company like Khara who don't really care so much about the sync as much as you telling the story we (Khara) want to tell, so you have to respect that."

Very matter of fact and also completely brutal. Khara really are not helping with this approach and it's very disappointing that this was both obvious and predictable. Sadly, it's what we got in the end.

From this interview around 3:58

Last edited:
Also, I listened to the 3.0+1.0 track you posted, and it brought back that incredible scene of Asuka attempting to drive a stake through the heart of Unit-13. What an astounding sequence that whole part is; it's uncompromising and brutal. Much like...
I just realised I had completely forgotten to reply to this. A Last Stand should now be defined in any dictionary with the following alone:
OneLastKiss_LP_Packshot_FrontCover_EU_1000x.jpg

I am so very witty... Hello? Hello? Anybody? I'll get my coat...

Khara really are not helping with this approach and it's very disappointing
I just finished watching 1.11 in its Prime Video English-dubbed form, and... yeah; it's pretty hammy stuff. 😬
Khara are really not helping anybody with that approach.

I listened to the key part of that interview above with the ADR director, and I'm effectively promised that 3.0+1.0 will be even worse.

It genuinely annoys me that Khara seem to be far too sure of themselves when it comes to their foreign-language (that is, non-Japanese) content to be able to bring themselves to consult native speakers. This is why we have things like Kaji's aforementioned Engrish and an elderly man who sounds much, much too young in 2.22, Mari's faulty English and French in 3.0+1.0 (the former spoken with an American twang despite her supposedly British heritage being claimed by her creators), and... the Third Children in NGE.

It's frankly a bit embarrassing on the world stage, and it didn't have to be like that.

If only Khara didn't seemingly always think that they're right. And picked someone more competent than Dan Kanemitsu to orchestrate the English dubs.

20210919_112201.jpg

Been recently enjoying the final rebuild's soundtrack a lot, and got the above cd import off of Amazon, as I didn't expect it to be released here in my preferred cd format (thank goodness CDs are not bloody region-locked heh). However, I was pleasantly surprised to see this due out in November:

Screenshot_20210919-120213_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Now all I will desire thereafter will be an uber boxset with the OST of all the rebuilds in one package and this beauty that seems prohibitively priced but is probably very worth it:

Screenshot_20210919-120343_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Have some (by very loose definition) Evangelion fan art because why not maybe? (I'm trying to sound a bit like Zoidberg since he's a crustacean, and, as such, should of course also be worshipped :p I was listening to Komm, Susser Tod while I made this XD). Somehow image A (which was not made by me, though I did black out the bit with swearing to try and abide by the forum rules) became image C 😅 I should probably actually watch the final Rebuild film but then I couldn't spend as much time making stuff like this :p It's for journaling but I only have a mono printer so I'm gonna wait until I've got a colour printer (and maybe write NERV on the red crab) 🤔 I traced btw, I could prob have drawn it free hand.

TBH I've seen Eva TV more than EoE, so I hadn't listened to K,ST much until now - it's really beautiful and I like the contrast between the sad lyrics in Shinji's internal mental world and the joyful musical sound cuz apparently (according to a Youtube comment) it's supposed to show that what's in your head often does not reflect reality :)

Attachments

• Everybody Shut Up It's Apple Crab.png
    Everybody Shut Up It's Apple Crab.png
    726.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Crab Is Love, Crab Is Light, Praise Apple Crab.png
    Crab Is Love, Crab Is Light, Praise Apple Crab.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Crab's In His Heaven, All's Right With The World.jpg
    Crab's In His Heaven, All's Right With The World.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 3
  • Apple Crab Blesses You Four Times!.jpg
    Apple Crab Blesses You Four Times!.jpg
    820.4 KB · Views: 4
TBH I've seen Eva TV more than EoE, so I hadn't listened to K,ST much until now - it's really beautiful and I like the contrast between the sad lyrics in Shinji's internal mental world and the joyful musical sound cuz apparently (according to a Youtube comment) it's supposed to show that what's in your head often does not reflect
It really is brilliant with the supremely effective discordance, and I'm probably stating the obvious for everyone, but unsurprisingly the lyrics were written by Anno himself. On that subject, I also adore the beautiful Thanatos - If I Can't Be Yours, used for the double-helix credits of EoE in between 25' & 26'.

So I couldn't resist importing this to treat myself (been doing that a lot lately...) and was surprised that it arrived in under two weeks from Play-Asia, rather than the two months I was expecting it to take:
20211003_125701.jpg
I was expecting a big boxset but fortunately it's the size of a standard cd case with a lovely digipak and a booklet composed of what I presume are the booklets included with the previous individual releases.

Was looking for photos of unboxings online but didn't find any so am including my lazy, "can just about be arsed to take them" ones here for any fans of the Eva soundtrack who may want to see if it's a worthwhile purchase:
20211003_125847.jpg20211003_130042.jpg20211003_130054.jpg20211003_130102.jpg20211003_130129.jpg20211003_130147.jpg
The red discs are quite pretty and I think they have a translucent effect that can't be appreciated in the photos.

Now to wait for the final rebuild's ost UK release that is on pre-order, and hoping one day we get a similar boxset of the rebuild movies osts.

261984142_10227566574453864_6910502434936966850_n.jpg

Really regretting not getting one of the super duper fancy boxes now… but money was (and is!) an issue. How bad is the Netflix dub of the tv series?

Controversy surrounding the (Khara approved) changes to the script notwithstanding, I didn't mind it. Took a while to get used to the new voices, but it's fine.

Just randomly felt like posting some pics of my NGE TV DVD Platinum Boxset :) I love the high quality screenshots in the booklets :)

Attachments

• Evangelion DVD Boxset 1.jpg
    Evangelion DVD Boxset 1.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Evangelion DVD Boxset 7.jpg
    Evangelion DVD Boxset 7.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Evangelion DVD Boxset 6.jpg
    Evangelion DVD Boxset 6.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Evangelion DVD Boxset 5.jpg
    Evangelion DVD Boxset 5.jpg