That was a really good read. Thanks for sharing the link.

Also the comments are pretty interesting on that article. Theres a fair bit of discussion about Mari with a way more positive outlook on her than here I'd say. Shes the only character who isnt angsty and is always looking forward. As such she represents a hope for the future. One Shinji cant see clearly until he's healed. That's why shes the one who saves him at the end and why shes the one who grabs him and drags him out of the station into a new world, a new life and a new future all filled with hope for the first time.

I'm guessing it's very reminiscent of how Anno sees his wife as someone who helped him work through his depression.

Dude, thank you so much for flagging that up!

I have no idea why that's never come up in my Amazon recommendations. I had a look on HMV's website, and it's the same price, so I've ordered it from them to collect in store. I like to support them when I can. Thanks again, man. 👍

Have you ordered it as well?
My pleasure, I remembered your interest in the non-vinyl versions and yeah I just happened to stumble on this as it is somewhat buried within Amazon and the cd certainly doesn't come up on searching by name only unless you specifically put in cd in the search. But then I find Amazon always throws CDs right at the bottom of any searches for music in general, but this one is particularly hidden... No love for that format... And yep, ordered mine and received heh. Yet to listen to it though as my new computer has no disc player unlike my previous laptop from '07... So coming to @Dai's point about digital versions, maybe I should just have gone for that heh but can't resist a hard copy. I find it especially satisfying when the household is raging every time the internet goes on strike and I smugly point to my cd/dvd/blu-ray hard copies heheh.

From the intrusion of the 9th Angel while she piloted Unit-03 in 2.22, I would say.
Ah yes, sorry for the confusion as I got muddled and this is obvious now after a re-watch of the first two rebuilds yesterday, where Asuka is clearly alive and not dead at the end of 2.22 and I had just gotten very mixed up as I was remembering the TV series episode with Ritsuko came across the completely charred remains after Rei-2 sacrificed herself, thinking therefore that the 3.33 Asuka was definitely a new reanimated/cloned version. Eva overload is clearly messing up my brain heh.

Why give Rei all this character development to only make her plot point.
Yeah I am conflicted about Rei-?6's use this way, especially given that she is clearly a separate entity from Rei-2, with the latter sadly getting minimal airtime after all that development in 2.22. This is my issue with the various clones in the rebuilds. At least in the TV series we had the same soul in all the Rei-s, and as I mentioned earlier, to me at least her memories were mostly intact so fine, for me she is the same character. I therefore struggle with the Rebuilds in this regard... But, after all that, I do believe Rei-6 does serve an essential point on the brevity of a life with the certainty of death and the importance of moving on and making the most of the life one is given. Which is another reason I feel the mother's (within the Evas) are so missing in the Rebuilds, with Yui barely being hinted at and that too mainly within Shinji, ie she is dead and gone Gendo and nothing you do will bring her back so get over it and move on.
I love that Anno got to this point where he could give us such a beautiful ending to all of Evangelion.
Exactly, I was so happy and really hopeful of this when the Rebuilds were first announced but then got worried after 3.33 and his relapse. I really do hope for the best mental health for him; cannot thank the man enough for his bravery & honesty in baring his soul, or at least a part of it, to the world with Eva.
Does anyone think this is the original Mari like Yui is to Rei or maybe Mari's mother like Yui is to Shinji?
So, I believe it is Mari herself in the past working together with Fuyutski, Yui & Gendo, as seen especially in Gendo's recollections, and Fuyutski's short chat with her, and let's not even get started on the Iscariot name..(has she been around for ages & ages, somewhat like Seele chairman (Keele was it?) was implied to be by evageeks in the TV series and probably all of Seele in the Rebuilds...). It actually fits nicely with the epilogue in Sadamoto's manga as well. She is clearly an enigma and will forever remain so...

Sorry for the rambling, sadly brevity is clearly not my forte... Just wanted to add some interesting bits I picked up in hindsight on re-watching 1.11 & 2.22 (the latter I found had a lot of hints at what came to 3+1):
20210821_031908.jpg
This imagery on the backs of Seele was reminiscent of the Golgotha object (also on that name, in 2.22 Kaji mentions the dummy plug system is coming from Golgotha base)
20210821_032057.jpg
The "suppressors" containing normality from coreization in 3+1 are actually present in 2.22 during the third angel battle and then containing Asuka after the destruction of Unit-03.
20210821_032202.jpg
20210821_032205.jpg
I am totally confused on the multiple Adams in Rebuild and will be looking up evageeks to get further confused...
20210821_032335.jpg20210821_032359.jpg
20210821_032401.jpg
I only just realised that it is at this point, after Mari crashes into and then returns Shinji's player (which in the TV series never played past 26) that the player moves to track 27, confusing Shinji.
20210821_032834.jpg
20210821_032837.jpg
Lastly, Eva's final message also delivered by Rei-2 to Asuka.

Okay that's enough from me for now, apologies for the painfully long post.

A relatively minor point: was Fuyutsuki meant to be a clone in 3+1? Aside from Rei-6, he's the only other character we see explode into tang. Or are we supposed to assume that all of the Seele members also turned into puddles of tang when they went offline?

Not Eva but have you seen Silver Spoon? About a city boy who goes to an Agricultural Farm School. It's very good and a lot of fun.

I did want to get AL's set for the first season but then it went out of stock everywhere I looked. But it is on my radar!

A relatively minor point: was Fuyutsuki meant to be a clone in 3+1? Aside from Rei-6, he's the only other character we see explode into tang. Or are we supposed to assume that all of the Seele members also turned into puddles of tang when they went offline?
No, definitely not: Fuyutsuki was his own self to the very end. He Tanged because of the high-density L-Containment Field in the area surrounding his ship. It caused him to lose his physical form or, as Wünder operator Kōji would perhaps phrase it, to be "blessed".

As for SEELE: unlike in NGE, here in Rebuild, those monoliths were actually their physical forms. Gendō's farewell speech to them in 3.33 revealed that those members have been around since time immemorial. Evidently they tethered their souls to those monoliths in order to achieve a kind of immortality, giving up their human bodies. They were once human, though, and therefore also products of the Fruit of Knowledge, and their pact with Gendō meant that they had to surrender their lives under the terms of Instrumentality. This was why Fuyutsuki was shown shutting down their artificial life support.

Very nice article, really focusing on the true essence of Eva and the fact that Anno's end messages have always been one of a realistic hope, regardless of the framing being a reflection of his mental states. The pendant in me would add that I believe the Gaius spear was made out of Misato's sacrifice, not with the help of Gendo, as stated there, who was in fact surprised on seeing it but did reach closure leaving the universe's fate to Shinji with that spear. I do really like the point that it's neither hope, nor despair, like the last two before it, rather a combination of the two. Hence a realistic takeaway expectation for life itself. Also, from that I'd come back to the point of dead mothers, with Misato joining those ranks and not returning in the reshaped universe, given that Shinji is moving forward and not redoing or remaking it, or resurrecting the dead, this time.

As @WMD summarised, good points on Mari as well. The animenewsnetwork bunch said similarly in their recent article, This Week in Anime - Saying 'Bye Bye' to All of Evangelion,
Screenshot_20210821-155746_Chrome.jpg
which helps me see why Mari was so much an outsider. But playing devil's advocate, maybe as fans we're also looking for justifications of her portrayal heh.

Also one for you @Neil.T in case you were interested:
View attachment 20430

There is a cd version of the Evangelion Finally soundtrack, just not on AL. I came across it whilst searching for Eva soundtracks and this glorious piece from the final one's soundtrack:

Unit-01 is the most epic & scariest Eva but Unit-02/Asuka are always the bloody coolest and most badass combo, and this piece is very fitting indeed.
Mega coincidence as I literally discovered this 10 mins ago and ordering soon. After getting an official hoodie or tee Eva wise too.

Does anyone know/reckon if they’ll be a collection of all 4 rebuild films please? Cant decide whether to buy 1-3 and 3.0+1.0 down the line or just wait and see.

Looks like there are some quite varied reactions to 3.0+1.0 amongst everyone here.
I've been a lifelong Evangelion fan, since first collecting the individual manga issues and VHS tapes back in 1997/1998, and I have to say this movie blew me away.
Yes, it's full of the usual Eva ******** - impenetrable technobabble and ridiculously contrived, ludicrous plot progression, but I loved the sense of emotional closure at the end. I felt it worked really well, and it brought me to tears (in a good way).
I can certainly see why many people wouldn't like it, and I can't say I'm completely on board myself with all of the random crap that happens, but if this is the way that Evangelion truly ends, then I am more than happy with it.
I took a week to digest my feelings on the film and ended up writing a horribly long, painfully introspective article about my lifelong relationship with Evangelion. If you''re patient and have 20 minutes or so to spare, you can go read my extended self-flagellation here: Evangelion 3.0+1.01, Emotional Violence and Ultimate Catharsis
I expect the internet to be full of similar articles for the next while. If Anno's good at anything, it's getting his fans to argue eternally over animated ephemera.

Does anyone know/reckon if they’ll be a collection of all 4 rebuild films please? Cant decide whether to buy 1-3 and 3.0+1.0 down the line or just wait and see.
I will paraphrase, as I can remember, what @NormanicGrav mentioned earlier in one of the threads if not this one, that it is quite possible that AL may have secured the final movie, given their name in its credits, and therefore will likely eventually release that on its own. The first three on the other hand are licensed by Funimation (though 1.11 licence may have expired as it's OOP?). The hope is very much that AL will eventually secure the first 3 and give us a nice UE or something. As there is no certainty, if you liked the rebuilds enough it would probably be best to get the standard editions of the first three now whilst they are available perhaps.

Looks like there are some quite varied reactions to 3.0+1.0 amongst everyone here.
I've been a lifelong Evangelion fan, since first collecting the individual manga issues and VHS tapes back in 1997/1998, and I have to say this movie blew me away.
Yes, it's full of the usual Eva ******** - impenetrable technobabble and ridiculously contrived, ludicrous plot progression, but I loved the sense of emotional closure at the end. I felt it worked really well, and it brought me to tears (in a good way).
I can certainly see why many people wouldn't like it, and I can't say I'm completely on board myself with all of the random crap that happens, but if this is the way that Evangelion truly ends, then I am more than happy with it.
I took a week to digest my feelings on the film and ended up writing a horribly long, painfully introspective article about my lifelong relationship with Evangelion. If you''re patient and have 20 minutes or so to spare, you can go read my extended self-flagellation here: Evangelion 3.0+1.01, Emotional Violence and Ultimate Catharsis
I expect the internet to be full of similar articles for the next while. If Anno's good at anything, it's getting his fans to argue eternally over animated ephemera.
Catharsis indeed. We seem to share a lot of our feelings on Eva, and good to hear of someone else as enamoured with EoE! Thank you for sharing your own story with Evangelion. No doubt Anno has touched numerous lives with this masterpiece.

thanks for the info GH.

watched 3.33 and 3.0+1.0 last night. I loooooved Thrice. Such a beautiful bittersweet closing of the Evangelion book. I cried right near the end. Such a lovely goodbye. Like the other movies (inc End of Eva) and some of the series I did have to read the synopsis again to get what was going on at times as i was at a loss. Like the Spears never made sense to me before and their use of getting to remake the world so once I understood that i was able to really appreciate Thrice but I then also disliked Shinji for End of Eva (whereas I was indifferent to the ending before) not wanting to be alone so Asuka was with him but of course, couldnt be more proud of or love him more than in Thrice. He wasnt really a character I was ever fully fussed on perhaps cause if like me you sometimes got lost on whats happening you couldnt really understand the character until this very movie but yeah loved it.

still think Rebuilds well f*cked making it Asuka not Toji (both times were a great shock) but the scene occurring to the song Tsubasa wo Kudasai was so messed up (in the best way!). Cant beat Unit 2’s bandaged smile in the series though.

but the scene occurring to the song Tsubasa wo Kudasai was so messed up (in the best way!)
I completely agree! I mentioned before that for me it was the perfect substitute for EoE's Kom Susser Tod to frame the third impact in the Rebuilds.

I just re-watched 1.11&2.22 a couple of nights back and looking forward to re-watching 3.33 & 3.0+1.0 tomorrow evening after work, if I can stay awake that is heh. Does anyone know if the Amazon version is the newer 3.333333333333 edit? If not, I'll watch my blu-ray as the upscale for the blu rays on my TV seems significantly better than the quality on Amazon (probably down to my temperamental internet...).

Does anyone know if the Amazon version is the newer 3.333333333333 edit?
😆

It's not, no; it's 3.33, so the same as Manga's Blu-ray.

@WMD uploaded this hilarious video earlier and I just came across this one with an extra scene at the end so thought I'd share.
That is genuinely one of the best Eva parody videos you'll ever see; it's not just brilliantly animated but also very cleverly written, even using fitting episode titles like "Asuka Strikes" and "Rei, beyond her heart". Absolute genius.

Wow, Evangelion 3.0+1.0 is as meta as all ****.

There's a moment in the film where, off screen, Rei-06 has asked Shinji to give her a new name. We cut to the scene as Shinji turns around, asking her, in the original Japanese, "Kimi no namae?" This translates as "Your name?" and sounds very similar to the title of Makoto Shinkai's smash-hit anime film.

Well, today I learned that adult Shinji in the Eva finale's last scene is voiced by none other than Ryūnosuke Kamiki, whom you might just have heard before as male lead Taki in Your Name.

Is all of this a deliberate comment on the current anime landscape and who are some of its biggest names? Anno knows.

image0.jpg

Back