I watched 3.0+1.01 and below are my impressions.

These are not spoilers, per se, as I do not mention any characters or their actions - just wanted to share what I thought of the movie. But I do share some details regarding the movie structure and even draw some parallels with the previous Evangelion stuff so if you are planning to watch it, do not read anything about it. Just watch it and then come back to this post. You can always reply to me later… Hopefully in a respectful manner… My opinion on this movie won’t be popular here…

So…

…the movie is a mess. I don’t care what everyone else says. They praise this movie for being different and more optimistic but in order to get there the story makes major sacrifices and I am not OK with that.

Let me just start that I dislike End of Evangelion. I think it’s too dark; the scene in the hospital is outright disgusting, the Asuka battle is sadistic, the Misato kiss is weird at best, the second half is too bizare, and the ending is quite pessimistic. That said there was something that I liked in it but I couldn’t quite figure out what it was. Well, this new movie helped me.

I liked action. The scene with Asuka was amazing from technical standpoint. You could feel Unit-02’s movement, feel her emotions - it was really, really well done. I liked unpredictability. The climax of the battle was heartbreaking, but at least it made us all feel something, which is not an easy thing to do for every story writer. I liked artistry of it. The final scene where Asuka and Shinji sit at the shore looks very memorable - especially with the corpses of MPEs in the air (it always made me uneasy to look at them - I mean, just think about it: they killed Asuka and now we see their bodies in the final scene with her)

Now, moving to 3.0+1.01. As I promised, no actual spoilers will be here but I will draw some parallels with EOE which the movie, predictably, wants us to do.

The first 50 minutes or so are masterpiece. It seems like the movie will actually be able to fix the mistakes of the first three movies and tie the storyline together uniting both time periods and improving on all main characters. I’m gonna say these scenes in the village are the absolute best of the Rebuild movies, at least for me. It feels fresh, it feels personal, it feels alive.

And then it fell apart. Next third of the movie is more action-oriented and they try to mimic both Asuka’s EOE battle and another scene from that movie throughout it… but it doesn’t feel nearly the same. The action is bland, characters’ actions are rather predictable, the scientific nonsense becomes even more complicated (those theories you built - well, turns out there is many other elements you weren’t told about). I was like, “what the heck, why is it so bad suddenly”. The thing is, I REALLY wanted to like this movie. And this second part of the movie made it near impossible for me to do that.

Next is worse. Third part of the movie is… Well, I’m not going to say anything here. Maybe some of you haven’t watched it and for whatever reason looking at this review. I personally thought it was dumb. Both what characters did and how some of the scenes were built. I think there are some good messages spread throughout this part and overall it feels like an improvement over EOE - but then you get to the final scene of the movie and there…

What the heck, guys?!

Can someone post the direct links to each of them as searching on Prime Video UK does not result in any results for 1.11 or 2.22 for me?
Sorry, mate, I live in another country but hopefully somebody will respond.

Before then you can try clicking on names of the actors of the Evangelion movies you can find - and hopefully it will help you find the ones that don’t show up in the search.

I absolutely loved it. Yeah it was As mad/surreal as End of Eva and more so, so I was well for it.
Yeah, I don’t think it was as surreal as EOE. That one was way weirder. Here it’s mostly a rehash of the elements we’ve seen before with a different meaning. Even a cut to live action doesn’t have the same impact.

Can someone post the direct links to each of them as searching on Prime Video UK does not result in any results for 1.11 or 2.22 for me?

3.0 + 1.01

3.0 + 1.01
Thanks, but although these links work they are are the US Prime Video site - adding them to your watch list does not result in them being available when signed into the UK Prime Video site and ergo means they are not available via the Prime Video UK app. That is important as it means currently are they are not available via the TV apps either in the UK (3.0+1.01 and 3.33 are listed on the UK site / app).

Thanks, but although these links work they are are the US Prime Video site - adding them to your watch list does not result in them being available when signed into the UK Prime Video site and ergo means they are not available via the Prime Video UK app. That is important as it means currently are they are not available via the TV apps either in the UK (3.0+1.01 and 3.33 are listed on the UK site / app).
They are the Irish links and should be the same for any Prime Video region as they all go through the .com domain.

Still doesn't change the fact that these links are not working for adding to your watch list for Prime Video UK and therefore the app as per my statement.
Here are the amazon UK urls direct from the website, these should work for you.

3.0+1.01

Here are the amazon UK urls direct from the website, these should work for you.

3.0+1.01
Yes, searching direct from the TV app also finds them too - just not the mobile app.

For some reason the translated English subtitle track has now disappeared for 1.11 leaving only the dubtitled closed caption track.

It was there last night when I checked and the translated track is still available on the other 3 movies.

For some reason the translated English subtitle track has now disappeared for 1.11 leaving only the dubtitled closed caption track.

It was there last night when I checked and the translated track is still available on the other 3 movies.
Apparently the translated subtitle track for 1.11 has been pulled by Khara due to "technical issues" and will be re added at a later date :rolleyes:

Contains very mild spoilers for Evangelion 3.0+1.01

Wow. The film was was totally worth the almost 8-year wait.

What a wild ride. I certainly didn't expect to be introduced to terms like "Another Impact", "Golgotha Object" and "Evangelion Imaginary".

The second segment of the film, set in Village 3, is absolutely masterful. I didn't predict it, but it having an aesthetic akin to 1960s Japan is right up Anno's street.

The action that followed is a mixture of intricate character drama and almost shōnen-esque bombast that I found to be pleasingly well-weighted. I didn't foresee Anno once again outing the story as fiction within itself, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised! Having Rei even use the term "Neon Genesis" was as bold as brass.

Come the end, I found myself extremely satisfied and felt like I had enjoyed every minute. I've added the film to my watched anime on MyAnimeList and scored it a conservative 9 out of 10 for a first watch. The score won't come down from that, but it may yet go up. We shall see. In any case, I'm already looking forward to seeing it again.

There's much more to say about it even on a first viewing, and I look forward to hopefully reading more opinion in this thread.

So I finally sat down and watched EVANGELION: 3.0+1.01 on the big TV downstairs in my home.

I haven't rewatched the previous three films but I've remembered them well enough so I knew the contexts and such going in. 3.33 is a film that was designed to put you in Shinji's shoes so you get more questions than answers throughout, and I was hoping that with 3.0+1.01 that it would make up for its confusion and offer a conclusion that fits well into the franchise.

Without going into spoilers (which I'll place in the spoiler tag), I finished the film with awe and found myself pretty satisfied with how it ends the Rebuild series. This is the longest Evangelion film I believe, running at 2 hours 35 minutes total and there's a lot going on. The film does delve into filling in the missing context of the previous film and also wraps up fairly well with a number of character arcs. I am happy to say that this is probably my second favourite of the four films with 2.22 being the best.

Amazon's subtitles were timed very well with very few quick changes to the subs here and there but nothing that would ruin the experience. They do translate the lyrics but the Blu-rays will fix the positioning on that.

This is a very long film and thank goodness it was, because there's a lot of pack in from what was going on.

I would say this film is split into three different acts.

The first being life on earth with the survivors which I actually predicted would occur many years ago after watching 3.33 for the first time. Seeing returning characters was a weird but welcoming experience, and while you could argue they weren't angry with Shinji over how everything went, I preferred their stance as they likely knew how much pressure it can being an Eva pilot and having to save the entire world on your shoulders. This whole act takes up roughly 55 minutes of the runtime but it's like the calm before the storm where things will get super serious.

Shinji's responses throughout this first act makes sense due to his trauma and PTSD over losing Kaworu and causing more problems in 3.0. I think the biggest surprise was Rei 3.0's character who to me was a character that was pretty much trying to fill the shoes that Rei 2.0 left behind, but in the end it was her fate that really caught me off guard. Rei 3.0 dying does make sense given she explicitly said that she can't live outside NERV (due to the LCL) so she only had little time remaining.

Asuka having a choker on her neck was surprising, but given that she's infected with Angel blood due to the events of 2.0 it does make sense in this instance. In the end I liked that Shinji wasn't so depressed too much and got back on his feet so seeing him accepting his resolve and going back to WILLE was a surprise but it's nice to see him having the motivation at the end of the film to confront his father and figure out why he's doing what he's doing.

Now let's talk about Misato, which was one of the biggest problems of 3.0. 3.0+1.01 basically apologies for that and offers a reason for her actions in 3.0, but I think what was more important was her pretty much apologising to Shinji for that and also explaining to her crew that it was either going to be Shinji doing what he did in 2.0 or having everyone getting killed. What I also liked was it provides some context to what happened with Kaiji and his overall fate. Her crew doesn't get any major development, with the exception of the pink-haired girl who has a bit of motivation for wanting to kill Shinji. Sakura's character was a bit messy though.

The second act as a whole does go straight into it and is very similar to the first act's prologue with the Paris battle. I don't mind Mari but I do think the battles are cool but probably nowhere near as rewatchable as the original trio battles were from the original series and 1.11 & 2.22. I think part of this reason is due to the lack of proper character development with Mari throughout the Rebuild series. I like her attitude and this film does explore a bit more of her character, but I think Anno & Khara should have provided her backstory and development in the earlier films so that these sort of scenes would have a better payoff.

The third act is very interesting because it's sort of a mix between the Human Instrumentality Project you know from The End of Evangelion but also something completely brand new with the whole anti-universe time warping segment where Shinji and Gendoh battling it out in a "movie studio" style setting which was honestly both funny and cool at the same time. It was great seeing a fight between the two and also trying to resolve the situation with logic when they realise fighting in Evas ain't going to work.

Speaking of the final act, I think the best part of the film was Gendoh's backstory which was really interesting and wraps up his arc pretty well. There's also the backstory of Asuka which was an interesting segment to see but I think some folks will be baffled that she is essentially a clone throughout all of this. Speaking of Asuka, her fate in this film is sort-of parallel to her fate in The End of Evangelion. There's a lot of throwbacks to the original series which was cool.

In the end, despite my ramblings, I found EVANGELION: 3.0+1.01 to be a mostly satisfying film and a very nice send-off for the Rebuild of Evangelion series as a whole. The ending I saw as Shinji basically choosing a world that kills off Evas aka the "Neon Genesis" was to me Anno saying farewell to the franchise as well.

1.0 was a remake of the first six episodes.
2.0 was a fantastic film with a great conclusion.
3.0 stumbled with a very big gamble and did not pay off very well.
3.0+1.01 steps up and offers a very good experience and solid conclusion.

Overall: 8.5/10.

And a bonus trivia:
E8rqqZLXMAEfNsD

For me it makes the rebuilds work it fixes my why did Asuka pilot Unit 03 in 2.22, makes Mari quite interesting but I grew to like her when I rewatched them last year anyway. It does “fix” Misato from 3.33 but I always could tell she was still Misato but I like they do justify her being a colonel in this universe she is a leader and still shinji’s “mother”. I do think the boldest and my favourite thing is saying the rebuilds and the show/EoE are same universe by reusing “scenes” and reanimating to use this in this new story. And the flashing of both timelines at the ending before Shinji uses Neon Genesis is a master stroke. So I do hope AL get these so we can have a consistent as I now view them as part B of the Eva story and am glad that I came around on 3.33 2 years ago so I could get as hyped for this film as I did. HF III didn’t disappoint but for me because I know HF’s story this is the anime of the year and of the 2020s so far easily and worth the change in tone of 3.33 and the time gap. Anno you rested and gave us a masterpiece deserving of the wait 10/10 easily.

As expected, my opinion on this movie is very different from yours. I do agree with some of the points made in this thread earlier - Mari character remained underdeveloped, and the inclusion of Gendo's backstory was pretty cool.

The other stuff that you liked like "Neon Genesis" thing I personally found dumb - "the world without Evangelions" supposed to be real world, but in the universe of NGE this doesn't make any sense as stuff like Black Moon, SEELE, Scrolls and Adams would still exist. "The movie set" thing is an interesting idea for a final battle - but it doesn't make much sense either - it's supposed to be negative universe forcing to relieve memories (or something like that), but the battles take place exclusively in the areas familiar to Shinji (don't remember Gendo goig to Misato's place, visiting the school or running toward Sehequiel)

Overall I am surprised that fans of Evangelion liked 3.0+1.01 THAT much, I personally was left with different feelings, and even found the final movie... depressing, in a way. But for other reasons than EOE it so desperately tries to re-do. Overall, I don't think I would want to re-watch this movie in its entirety again.

If I had to rank Rebuild movies right now, 2.22 would be number one (cool action scenes and interesting character developments), 3.33 would be the next one (Great action and very unpredictable), and, I think 1.11 would be the one after that despite being very repetitive of the original series. That said, if the first hour of 3.0+1.01 was a separate movie, it would definitely be number 1 - but we're supposed to rate movies in their entirety, right?..

Ok so I have literally just finished watching 3.0+1.0 and I absolutely loved it. It managed to provide a conclusion to these rebuild films and close off many of the characters arcs in a way which left me feeling nothing but satisfied. Was this film worth the 8 year wait? Well if you ask me right now I would say it was definitely worth it.

This film managed to answer so many of the questions that I had coming out of 3.33 and now I feel like I need to binge all the rebuild films looking at them through a new lens with the context this film provides. I particularly liked how this film fixed one of my biggest problem with 3.33 which was Misato. In 3.33 it felt kind of unnatural to me how she acted so coldly towards Shinji but this finally provided the context behind her actions as well as allowing her to apologise to Shinji.

I loved the time spent in Village 3, getting to see how the events of 3.33 truly affected Shinji and how Asuka, Rei and the others helped him accept his loss and fears to grow as a character was great to watch. However the standout moment for me was seeing Shinji and Gendo finally having a proper conversation as father and son where we get to learn Gendo's backstory which I found quite interesting and it provided a good sense of closure for his character's arc.

Thank you Anno for providing us with this fantastic finale to the Rebuild of Evangelion.

I have really mixed feelings about this movie. It managed to be both more straightforward than I hoped and more incomprehensible than I feared.

Positives first. The first act was great, and provided an interesting counterpoint to the first act of EoE. Both open with Shinji paralytic with grief from Kaworu's death. EoE throws him right back into the meat-grinder without a chance to process his grief, and the bitter madness that followed was almost inevitable as a result. 3.0+1.0 surrounds him with people who care about him, and that humane behaviour likewise informs Shinji's attitude going forward.

This film also filled in the gaping hole at the heart of both of Eva's two previous endings by giving Shinji a definitive confrontation with his father. The strained dynamic between those characters is integral to the whole Eva saga, and while the TV ending and EoE acknowledged it, I always felt that they side-stepped its importance, while this time the story confronts it head-on. For that alone, this movie carves out an important place for itself in the overall Eva canon.

Negatives. I feel like Anno has lost track of the importance of context to action scenes. Look all the way back to Gunbuster: every action had a clear cause, clear stakes, and enough connection to the characters for the viewer to care about the outcome. The Rebuild movies have increasingly slid towards action scenes that either have no context until after they're finished, or where the pretense of context is just an incomprehensible jumble of pseudotechoreligious jargon. Sure, they're an impressive fireworks display, but it's hard to get invested in the outcome of a scene when you don't know why it's happening.

For such a long movie, the editing became surprisingly clipped during some important scenes towards the end. Gendo and Shinji growing to understand each other and themselves took centre stage, as it should, but ended a bit too abruptly. This problem carried over to the subsequent scenes that closed out Asuka, Kaworu, and Rei's arcs, which needed more attention. Rei's in particular was too rushed, carrying forth no sense of impact from what Rei 6.0 learnt and lost in the opening act, since this was a different Rei.

Then there's Mari. As I feared, Anno never came up with a viable reason for her to exist. As with so much of the other new jargon thrown at us in this movie, her true name comes with no explanation of why it matters, aside from it being a Bible reference that doesn't seem to track to her actual role in the story. Was the idea meant to be that she was a Judas to the Seele cause? Who knows. Also, it was bizarre that Shinji ends up becoming soul mates with a girl he's spoken to maybe twice beforehand.

Overall, I can't decide how I feel about this movie. It managed to blend the catharsis of the TV ending with the action and exposition of EoE, and was an effective conclusion in broad terms, since it gave an ending to most of its major narrative arcs. But it was so messy in some ways. Maybe I should just accept that confusion is par for the course when watching Evangelion. The previous two endings were both total mindf***s that took years to unpack, so why should this be any different? At this point, after a single viewing, while the experience is still raw and unprocessed in my mind, all I can say is that I'm glad it exists, but it isn't all that I hoped for.

Last edited:
I am very happy. It was a wild ride, the animation is quality of course. And it got me feeling things, which is what Evangelion is all about. That ending was just amazing imo and makes perfect sense to me. At the surface it is very happy, but when you think about it's also tragic. Lots of layers to this series. That ed music always gets to me!

I want to read as little about this film as possible so sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere

Is 3.0+1.01 the final film? I've not seen the third yet

Back