Ive watched the series, EoE, reboots, read the whole manga but I still dont understand any of these memes. 😅
It's just me being silly, really. 😅
They're based off of an I, Robot meme. Here's the origin of it:

Being a bit self-indulgent here and quoting this in the Eva thread. 😋

Yeah, during the kids slot, too! Shocking, but I'm thankful.
Wow, that's bold. 😯
Again, if you don't mind me asking, what country was that in? These kind of things interest me.

Anywho, how about you? What do you think about Eva? Feel free to copy paste a previous post of yours if you've already posted your thoughts on it. I never got the feeling you're a mecha kind of guy, so it should be an interesting read!
You know, I wouldn't have considered myself a mecha kind of guy either at one point. In fact, when I saw a film called Evangelion 2.0 listed at my local cinema as part of an event called We Love Anime back in June 2011, I even remember thinking "Hmm, giant robots... Is that really gonna be my thing?"

It became the first Evangelion thing I ever saw, and the ending made quite the impact (forgive the pun) on me. I then bought the first two Rebuilds on DVD (the only ones out at that time), before seeing 3.0 at a sold-out screening at Scotland Loves Anime in 2013.

That next Eva stuff I acquired on DVD was Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion, which I was lucky enough to find second-hand copies of in excellent condition. I watched those next, despite still not having seen the original series!

I (ahem) watched the series online eventually, and didn't actually own it on DVD until only last year, when my girlfriend found all eight volumes in CEX while looking for something else entirely! It was a great find, and happened just before last summer's AUKN simulwatch. What incredible timing.

By then, I also had second-hand copies of the director's-cut versions of episodes 21 to 24 to complete the set. 🙂

So yeah, quite an unusual route to have taken, essentially working backwards towards the original. However I got there, though, Evangelion has become something very important to me. It means a lot to me, on many different levels.

And, by now, I guess I have become a mecha kind of guy, because some of my other favourites include Gurren Lagann, DARLING in the FRANXX, Code Geass and the aforementioned SSSS.Gridman.

I'd love to come back to your assessment of the animation quality of the series versus Rebuild, but I reckon that's about enough for this post.

Let me ask you one more thing, though, dude: have you seen the 10-minute preview for Evangelion 3.0+1.0 online? 😀

Last edited:
Being a bit self-indulgent here and quoting this in the Eva thread. 😋

Wow, that's bold. 😯
Again, if you don't mind me asking, what country was that in? These kind of things interest me.

You know, I wouldn't have considered myself a mecha kind of guy either at one point. In fact, when I saw a film called Evangelion 2.0 listed at my local cinema as part of an event called We Love Anime back in June 2011, I even remember thinking "Hmm, giant robots... Is that really gonna be my thing?"

It became the first Evangelion thing I ever saw, and the ending made quite the impact (forgive the pun) on me. I then bought the first two Rebuilds on DVD (the only ones out at that time), before seeing 3.0 at a sold-out screening at Scotland Loves Anime in 2013.

That next Eva stuff I acquired on DVD was Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion, which I was lucky enough to find second-hand copies of in excellent condition. I watched those next, despite still not having seen the original series!

I (ahem) watched the series online eventually, and didn't actually own it on DVD until only last year, when my girlfriend found all eight volumes in CEX while looking for something else entirely! It was a great find, and happened just before last summer's AUKN simulwatch. What incredible timing.

By then, I also had second-hand copies of the director's-cut versions of episodes 21 to 24 to complete the set. 🙂

So yeah, quite an unusual route to have taken, essentially working backwards towards the original. However I got there, though, Evangelion has become something very important to me. It means a lot to me, on many different levels.

And, by now, I guess I have become a mecha kind of guy, because some of my other favourites include Gurren Lagann, DARLING in the FRANXX, Code Geass and the aforementioned SSSS.Gridman.

I'd love to come back to your assessment of the animation quality of the series versus Rebuild, but I reckon that's about enough for this post.

Let me ask you one more thing, though, dude: have you seen the 10-minute preview for Evangelion 3.0+1.0 online? 😀

This does feel more at home here, yes!

Portugal. It was wack.

Yeah, pretty unusual way to have watched Evangelion, but it's cool in the sense that it has a bit of history attached to you watching, instead of just, you know, "I watched a series on dvd or some such, the end".

Gurren Lagann and Geass are classics as far as I'm concerned, for sure. FRANXX I've yet to try, and Gridman, you more or less know my thoughts on that.

If you haven't already, I would recommend watching Goro Taniguchi's other mecha anime Gun x Sword for a very solid western inspired take on the genre with a delicious ending. Other than that, you should definitely watch The Big O, one of the all time greats. Have you tried Giant Robo and Macross Plus?

As for me, I want to re-watch Rahxephon since I remember next to nothing of it and maybe Star Driver, which I remember being... Acceptable.

Getting back to Eva, yeah, I watched the first ten minutes after seeing your question and the first thing that comes to mind is how over the top the mechanical designs are. My lord, that's not what I expect out of Eva, but we already had glimpses of overdesigned angels and machines all over the rebuild movies up until this point. The cynic in me feels like they're showing off their CG prowess in order to get more clients, because the choreography feels way too flashy. The CG is incredibly good, however.

I want to see Shinji's comeback anyway so I'll be waiting!

Speaking of Anno's works, I've been rewatching Shin Godzilla and the editing in that movie is wonderful. I've watched the first 40 minutes it's surprisingly entertaining for what is basically a series of (funny) government meetings.

Even though I have both versions of the platinum sets (holiday and thinpack varieties) and the 2 movies and the 3 remake movies I don't think NGE is all that good as science fiction. I have a novel by a guy you brits should know-the late Arthur C. Clarke called Childhood's End written in 1953 that does a much better job of telling a story about mankind's ultimate evolution.

Forgive me if this post gets lengthy. 😅

Portugal. It was wack.
Cool, cool. (I did feel like your name sounded Portuguese, so... 🙂)
Major props to you for being able to discuss something like Eva at such a high level in (I'm presuming) a second language. Those are some serious English skills!

Yeah, pretty unusual way to have watched Evangelion, but it's cool in the sense that it has a bit of history attached to you watching
You know, it really is; I've made some great memories with Eva. One of the most recent ones was actually the day that 10-minute preview of 3.0+1.0 dropped: I was at work that day, but my long-suffering girlfriend (bless her; how much anime nonsense have I already put her through? 😅) watched the live stream, including the entire build-up (all in Japanese with French translation 😅) to try to warn me when it was starting. Thanks, honey! ♥️😅👍

So, yeah... hugely looking forward to seeing the finished thing.

Gurren Lagann and Geass are classics as far as I'm concerned, for sure. FRANXX I've yet to try
I totally agree with you on those first two; they're a couple of my all-time favourites. Code Geass is just sooo clever and has one of the best endings you'll ever see, and Gurren Lagann I just love to bits.

As for FRANXX, I love that too, but the last couple of episodes are seriously divisive. I'd totally love to read your thoughts on the show if you ever watch it someday. 🙂

And continuing with FRANXX...
I want to re-watch Rahxephon since I remember next to nothing of it and maybe Star Driver, which I remember being... Acceptable.
Star Driver, I've never seen. In fact, I only heard about it through seeing an image online comparing the robot designs. I just did a search there and found something that made me chuckle:
85e65a556d23da54bd469b9e9c2ea0aec7735a26v2_hq.jpg

I haven't seen RahXephon either, but, again, I once came across something interesting online that compared the pilot suits in that show with WILLE's outfits in Eva 3.0. Since RahXephon is regarded as something of an NGE copy, the suggestion was that Hideaki Anno was being a bit meta by intentionally copying those designs in a new Eva film. It's probably true!

Comparison images:
eva_RahXephon.jpg

11-1200x600.png

And ending on your recommendations, dude, I hadn't realised Gun x Sword was a Goro Taniguchi show, or even a mecha show, for that matter! I'm pretty sure it's out of print here in the UK now, but...

Giant Robo, I'm literally only familiar with the title; The Big O, I think only the first half of it was ever released in the UK. 🤔

Macross Plus, though, I really like. That'd make another post. Easily. 😀

All that, and I ran out of room for Shin Godzilla as well. Maybe come back to that?

I have a novel by a guy you brits should know-the late Arthur C. Clarke called Childhood's End written in 1953
Wow, how about that? That's also the English title of the first Gurren Lagann movie. That reference had been lost on me until now. 😯

Forgive me if this post gets lengthy. 😅

Cool, cool. (I did feel like your name sounded Portuguese, so... 🙂)
Major props to you for being able to discuss something like Eva at such a high level in (I'm presuming) a second language. Those are some serious English skills!

You know, it really is; I've made some great memories with Eva. One of the most recent ones was actually the day that 10-minute preview of 3.0+1.0 dropped: I was at work that day, but my long-suffering girlfriend (bless her; how much anime nonsense have I already put her through? 😅) watched the live stream, including the entire build-up (all in Japanese with French translation 😅) to try to warn me when it was starting. Thanks, honey! ♥😅👍

So, yeah... hugely looking forward to seeing the finished thing.

I totally agree with you on those first two; they're a couple of my all-time favourites. Code Geass is just sooo clever and has one of the best endings you'll ever see, and Gurren Lagann I just love to bits.

As for FRANXX, I love that too, but the last couple of episodes are seriously divisive. I'd totally love to read your thoughts on the show if you ever watch it someday. 🙂

And continuing with FRANXX...

Star Driver, I've never seen. In fact, I only heard about it through seeing an image online comparing the robot designs. I just did a search there and found something that made me chuckle:

I haven't seen RahXephon either, but, again, I once came across something interesting online that compared the pilot suits in that show with WILLE's outfits in Eva 3.0. Since RahXephon is regarded as something of an NGE copy, the suggestion was that Hideaki Anno was being a bit meta by intentionally copying those designs in a new Eva film. It's probably true!

Comparison images:

And ending on your recommendations, dude, I hadn't realised Gun x Sword was a Goro Taniguchi show, or even a mecha show, for that matter! I'm pretty sure it's out of print here in the UK now, but...

Giant Robo, I'm literally only familiar with the title; The Big O, I think only the first half of it was ever released in the UK. 🤔

Macross Plus, though, I really like. That'd make another post. Easily. 😀

All that, and I ran out of room for Shin Godzilla as well. Maybe come back to that?

Wow, how about that? That's also the English title of the first Gurren Lagann movie. That reference had been lost on me until now. 😯

Sorry, responding the way you do is much easier to understand and much tidier but it's next to impossible to do on mobile, so I'll just post normally 🙏

Please don't shame me by saying you're posting on your phone 😢

Yeah, about my name, when I was registering I was convinced the site was asking me for my real name before the online handle... I was in for an unpleasant surprise. shrug feel kind of dumb about that.

That's very kind, thanks! Being a disgusting nerd kid who only plays games for years on end helps immensely when it comes to learning English, I assure you!

She sounds like marriage material... My wife knows I love anime but I'm not sure I could ask her something like that ahaha.

I smirked at that pic, the ensemble cast is whatever but I would be inclined to say it's the same mecha designer! The ones in Franxx look even less conventional than the ones in Star Driver, so that's a plus for me. I will watch it on your recommendation, then, see what's what.

And yeah, I've seen that criticism of Rahxephon but I'm a bit wary of internet reductionism... I don't really remember enough to be able to comment on that assertion either way, and maybe I'll end up agreeing with it, but I'll have to re-watch first. In any case, yes, the suit designs seem clearly ahem inspired by Rahxephon!

Do tell, if you end up watching any of the ones you haven't already!

Oh this is the Eva thread, right.

Hm.

Evangelion rawks!! And I'm debating myself whether I should take the plunge on the JP standard blu ray box... It does include the movie, too 🤔

Yeah, about my name, when I was registering I was convinced the site was asking me for my real name before the online handle
You know, if you were to ask one of our admins (@Rui or @Teapot), they might be able to change your username for you if you wanted.

Please don't shame me by saying you're posting on your phone 😢
I... am. 😅
But I really wouldn't recommend it: it's sooo time-consuming.

She sounds like marriage material...
Don't I know it, buddy. 😉

🤫

I would be inclined to say it's the same mecha designer! The ones in Franxx look even less conventional than the ones in Star Driver, so that's a plus for me.
Wow, good call! I checked on MyAnimeList, and you're spot on. Here's your man:

His credits are very impressive. And, for what it's worth, the two shorts from Japan Animator Expo (Nihon Animator Mihonichi) that he was involved with are two of my very favourites from the project: Obake-chan and Cassette Girl.

Do tell, if you end up watching any of the ones you haven't already!
I will do, sir. Same with yourself and FRANXX, yeah? (The pressure's on me after I talked it up now. 😛)

I'm debating myself whether I should take the plunge on the JP standard blu ray box... It does include the movie, too 🤔
Ye gods...
💶💶💶💶💶😵

(Also no subtitles. 😬)

Another film delayed. Neon Genesis Evangelion 3.0+1.0:
As well as the announcement of the delay, the film's complete English title has been revealed to be Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time.

49784613241_d6ec330fce_o.jpg
Japanese and English-language film posters for Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time

The title is apparently drawn, as is an occasional habit of Hideaki Anno, from that of a sci-fi novel:

As for the translated version of the film poster, the phrase in the centre, "Bye-bye, all of EVANGELION.", captures little of the drama of the original text. That reads "Saraba, subete no EVANGELION.", and I would personally have translated it as "To all of EVANGELION, farewell." Anno's parting message to his own creation, perhaps?

Alongside the posters, there's also this half-minute teaser for the film:

Last edited:
Thrice? Why not trebly or threefold upon a time?
As I say, it's because the title is taken directly from that of a sci-fi novel. Anno's done that before; for example, he named episode 26 of Neon Genesis Evangelion "The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World" after a collection of short stories:

As for "thrice", the novel that the forthcoming film takes its title from makes a pun on the typical fairy tale beginning "once upon a time". Once, twice, thrice.

The number three must have a special significance to this incarnation of Evangelion. After all, its finale's called 3.0+1.0 rather than 4.0. Notice also on the poster above how the railway track has two branching-off points to the left of the image, but the third route comes directly towards us, the audience.

Last edited:
Back