The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

I pre-ordered the 1001 Nights & Cleopatra Blu-ray set

Isn't LotGH supposed to be the greatest anime ever made, and once you've seen it all other anime seems mediocre in comparison. That's what I heard online anyway.

I've heard that, but never had anyone actually explain wy

I've seen most of the TV series and IMHO I think it's massively over-rated, I really liked the first series but I found it became very repetitive and near the end of the 3rd series I got bored and stopped watching it. That was 5-6 years ago and at some point I'm going to restart the 3rd series and give it another go.

Haikyu!! volume 22
Anonymous Noise volume 7
Silver Spoon volume 2
KonoSuba volume 5 (light novel)
I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level volume 1

Thank god some of the titles I was meant to be buying this week have been delayed or I haven't read the previous volume of yet. ;_;

I've seen most of the TV series and IMHO I think it's massively over-rated, I really liked the first series but I found it became very repetitive and near the end of the 3rd series I got bored and stopped watching it. That was 5-6 years ago and at some point I'm going to restart the 3rd series and give it another go.

It has enormous significance in terms of the industry; the 'TV series' was not a TV series but the most ambitious OAV project ever made (a title it still holds today).

As for whether it's actually good, that comes down to the viewer's preferences as with anything. I don't like Ghibli films, I won't be buying GitS on BD in any form. But I like LotGH because it's full of interesting people doing cool things, and using their brains. While wearing sharp outfits and looking awesome. Long-running adaptations which actually go somewhere are rare enough that I appreciate any of them which hit my personal tastes.

R

Yeah, I knew it was an OVA not a TV series but I've found it easier to describe it that way as most people don't know its an OVA and then don't believe an OVA series ran that long!

Horses for courses as with any media but I stand by what I say and I think it's overrated as a whole. for me it's one of those entities, that because it hasn't been available in the West for ages and if people haven't sought out fansubs , has developed some sort of mysticism that over hypes it (normally by people who haven't seen it), there's plenty of examples out there.

I think I've been around this stuff for so long that middle-age cynicism has begun to set in.

Put aside the issue of the shows "quality" and only consider it's basic price of $800 then add on the international shipping, VAT, courier handling fees and I believe owing to the items value Import duty.

Horses for courses as with any media but I stand by what I say and I think it's overrated as a whole. for me it's one of those entities, that because it hasn't been available in the West for ages and if people haven't sought out fansubs , has developed some sort of mysticism that over hypes it (normally by people who haven't seen it), there's plenty of examples out there.

I think there is an element of truth in that point whether you like the show or dislike it. I've been wanting LotGH since its VHS release days in Japan, so frankly by this point $800 (actually £800 for me...) is absolutely fine. I've spent more than that on far lesser shows when runtime is considered, and I'd have bought the Japanese editions ages ago if not for the swirling hope that a western disc release was eventually going to happen. Heck, I spent more than £100 on the Tekken anime back in the day, and that completely sucked.

I haven't been following the western fandom for the series that built up in its years as a relatively niche, mysterious fansub title at all, but the backlash against the new version this season in particular comes across as being 10% genuine dislike and 90% fan anger over something 'special' and elite suddenly being available to the unwashed masses. So from that perspective, I would agree that classic LotGH is likely overhyped by a lot of people who are following it for a whole array of different reasons beyond the show itself. But those who genuinely like the idea of a long running show about politics and war, and like the classic designs/animation/values, it's far from undeserving of its reputation. People enjoy watching it on HIDIVE where it's thankfully available at an excellent price point, and people genuinely enjoy the books which are now coming out. I think it's sort of awesome that the project ever existed in the first place given how many short OAVs fell by the wayside at the time, and that the series overall has sustained a good level of popularity at fan events ever since then.

R

I just get sceptical on anyone who proclaims something as "the best" in such a way that they consider it fact. I may give the new version a try to see if I like the premise/story so I can't say the 80s style put me off.

Attempting to buy To Love Ru Complete Collection BD and Coffin Princess Chaika 1+2 Collection BD from Deep Discount. However PayPal are being jerks and have placed the payment under review. Chances are DD will now cancel the order and there'll be no discount for me :(

Attempting to buy To Love Ru Complete Collection BD and Coffin Princess Chaika 1+2 Collection BD from Deep Discount. However PayPal are being jerks and have placed the payment under review. Chances are DD will now cancel the order and there'll be no discount for me :(

wow that sucks. Though I imagine the order would be like $120 or so even with the discount

Not far off. Discount was $19.50 so not a huge amount but it's the principle. Randomly placing a hold on the payment sucks and the answer I got from the PayPal agent was that they didn't know why the hold was placed but it'd be 72 hours before it was lifted.

Today's Purchases

Anime

Assassination Classroom Season 2 Part 2
Attack on Titan Season 2
Erased Part 2 (Pre-Ordered)
Fate/Grand Order: First Order
My Hero Academia Season 1

The Testament of Sister New Devil Season 1

Manga

Monster Musume vol 12
Tales of Wedding Rings vol 1
The Testament of Sister New Devil Storm vol 2