The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

In a moment of weakness I ordered the following from UP1,

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 1 (Hyb) Limited Edition with CD DVD/Blu-ray

On the flip side I have applied to have my Axel points converted into a credit so my next order should be cheaper by around $21.50.

mangaman74 said:

On the flip side I have applied to have my Axel points converted into a credit so my next order should be cheaper by around $21.50.

I've just done the same with Madoka aswell this evening. Sounds like it'll be worth the cost from what i gather from reviews :D

CloudedMinds said:
mangaman74 said:

I've just done the same with Madoka aswell this evening. Sounds like it'll be worth the cost from what i gather from reviews :D

I figure it is another Haruhi Suzumiya - you either love it or loathe it but everyone winds up talking about it. I thought being the case I should at least get volume 1 (if I like it I'll get the other volumes).

My monthly order at Planetaxel,
Sengoku Basara - Samurai Kings - Season 1 (Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
EF - A Tale Of Melodies Complete Collection Blu-ray
Okami-San And Her Seven Companions Complete Collection (Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
Legend Of The Legendary Heroes - Part 1 (Limited Edition) Blu-ray/DVD
Heaven's Lost Property - Complete Season 2 (Limited Edition) DVD
Motto To Loveru Complete Collection DVD

Planet Axel
Star Driver 1 (blu-ray)
Star Driver 2 (blu-ray)

Amazon Uk
Black butler vol 8
Itazura Na Kiss vol 5
XXXHolic vol 19
Natsume Book of friends vol 10 & 11

YesAsia
Hunter X Hunter vols 8, 9 and 14
Hitman Reborn vol 23
Durarara 1 (light novel)

I went a little crazy...

Kyaku said:
CloudedMinds said:
mangaman74 said:

From UP1? You could have had it for £54 including post, from RightStuf.
I know this much because I had a moment of weakness and dipped deep too.

Also, I bought Hayate X Blade omnibus 1, Hot Gimmick omnibus 1 and Wandering Son 2 from Forbidden Planet, was tres cool, especially Wandering Son.

Let me know how much you get hit by customs ;)

If its still cheaper, then possibly i'll order the other 3 volumes from rightstuf

Can someone explain to me why everyoen is buying that volume? It seems outrageously overpriced to me, yet all you guys buying it is making me want it!

Kyaku said:
CloudedMinds said:
mangaman74 said:

From UP1? You could have had it for £54 including post, from RightStuf.
I know this much because I had a moment of weakness and dipped deep too.

It probably is cheaper buying from TRSI but there is the risk of import charges (I recently got hit for £11.12 for something that was around 60p over the import free limit.

Secondly I don't have an account with TRSI so I would have to go through the hassle of sending a them picture of my credit card (having to do this is one of the reasons why I don't have an account with them in the first place).

FourthLion said:
Can someone explain to me why everyoen is buying thaty volume? It seems outrageously overpriced to me, yet all you gusy buying it is making me want it!

Because the only way to legitimately watch Madoka Magica with its English translation is to buy an expensive single volume, and it's one of the most well regarded series in a long time :) I'm planning on watching mine this weekend. Aniplex USA titles often tend to sell out, too, so people are grabbing the LE sooner rather than later before they regret it.

And once you're buying something which is expensive anyway, buying the even more expensive version with gorgeous foil-pressed artwork and soundtrack and bonus art cards etc is relatively easy to justify!

R

Rui said:
FourthLion said:
Can someone explain to me why everyoen is buying thaty volume? It seems outrageously overpriced to me, yet all you gusy buying it is making me want it!

Because the only way to legitimately watch Madoka Magica with its English translation is to buy an expensive single volume, and it's one of the most well regarded series in a long time :) I'm planning on watching mine this weekend. Aniplex USA titles often tend to sell out, too, so people are grabbing the LE sooner rather than later before they regret it.

And once you're buying something which is expensive anyway, buying the even more expensive version with gorgeous foil-pressed artwork and soundtrack and bonus art cards etc is relatively easy to justify!

R

My reasoning, Rui. The standalone blu-ray at UP1 was £38 plus p&p. I'd rather pay extra for the OST cd and artbox (plus you also get stickers/posters etc).

Aren't Madman releasing a limited edition region B bluray for about $40 though? Not quite as special a limited edition maybe, but still comes with an artbox etc.

Still seeems a lot fo money for a show I'm not sure about, but then I bet it'll sell out and I'll want it later liek the Wagnaria/Toradora sets :( (on a semi related note I saw a Toradora premium set 1 appear on amazon.com for $50 and hesitated over buying it... then someone else did a couple of hours later. DAMN).

I don't buy region B blurays, but the Madman offer is certainly a viable alternative for those who do. The soundtrack in the Aniplex set (which isn't available separately in Japan) is also a compelling reason to buy their version, but if you're not into soundtracks then the Madman release is definitely worth considering ;)

R

It's perhaps worth noting that the Madman v1 LE will include a chipboard art box, whereas the Aniplex v1 LE includes a card stock slipcover. My ideal release would be something between the two: the artbox of Madman's release and the postcards and booklet of Aniplex's. It's the soundtracks that really push up the price of the latter.

If you order the Madman LE Blu-ray from DevotedDVD, who guarantee no customs charges for their packages, it should total around £30 - cheaper than you'd be able to get Aniplex's standard edition Blu-ray for.

fabricatedlunatic said:
If you order the Madman LE Blu-ray from DevotedDVD, who guarantee no customs charges for their packages, it should total around £30 - cheaper than you'd be able to get Aniplex's standard edition Blu-ray for.

Are they still guaranteeing no customs charges? In their FAQ section recently it has stated that as of Feb 2012 they can no longer ship directly into the Royal Mail system, I wasn't sure if this meant they had to now start declaring on the customs form. I sent them an email to ask but they haven't replied. Anyone received an order from them recently? There are quite a few things I've been meaning to purchase from them!

Back