The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

So far it looks like this:

DVSta_kWkAUNe-g.jpg

I presume the info sheets are removable in the same fashion as the Universal sets.
Definitely going to wait for an unboxing of it just to make sure.

Although since the spine is still clean, I might get it anyway regardless of the info being removeable or not.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (Season 1): Gunpla model is a cool idea, but it ruins it for folks who simply want the set box. Result - Not Worth It
The Gunpla was exclusive to the set, I don't think anyone would have much trouble selling it on to someone who collects Gunpla but doesn't want the DVDs and making some of their money back... I think the idea including extras you don't need to keep if you don't want to "ruins" the set is a bit harsh.

The Gunpla was exclusive to the set, I don't think anyone would have much trouble selling it on to someone who collects Gunpla but doesn't want the DVDs and making some of their money back... I think the idea including extras you don't need to keep if you don't want to "ruins" the set is a bit harsh.

That's true actually. I'll promote it to Optional since it does have some value to it. I just wish Funimation had an additional option where folks could just have the box and not the others.

Managed to locate a few GKids Ghibli titles
My Neighbour Totoro
Ponyo
Spirited Away

I'll be selling the StudioCanal editions of Ponyo and Spirited Away soon if anyone's interested.

Bet you weren't expecting this from me lol.

81JtQ92bIfL._SL1284_.jpg

Yuri!!! on Ice: Complete Series (Limited Edition) [Combo Pack]
So I got more funds recently and was enough to be able to acquire one of the Funimation LE titles. Now last month there were two that I wanted but I decided to hold them off as they weren't likely to sell out for a while (Berserk's CG damaged its reputation and Kabaneri's second half killed the show for many).

Yuri!!! on Ice is a series that I admittedly was quite surprised to be entertained by. Not only were the OP & ED a great listen (disclaimer: everyone has different taste in music yadayada) but I was quite intrigued by how the anime progressed all the way. I liked the show enough to consider the limited edition version which was £15 more than the standard set.

Now you may be wondering yourself - "But Grav, what about the ultimate life and hometown show Keijo?!". Keijo is another series that I want to own as well, however I'm saving it for a little while longer just to see how it turns out in terms of the sales, plus Yuri on Ice had a way higher chance of going out of print. If I feel it will sell out sooner than expected I will get it, if not I might wait a little longer just in case the currency rate starts to change. Of course there's also Attack on Titan Season 2, but there's two versions thanks to UK & US so there's enough time to sort that one out.

On the topic of Crunchyroll & Funimation LEs here's my current stance on the matter:
  • 91 Days: Nice content for the set with a detailed booklet and artwork. Result - Worth It
  • Attack on Titan (Season 2): Matches Season 1 on content. UK version a replica as well. Result - Get the UK Version
  • Berserk (Season 1): Really nice digipack layout but could end up like Tales did. Result - Optional
  • Bungo Stray Dogs (Season 1): Decent artwork and a detailed booklet. Could end up like Tales did however. Result - Worth It/Optional
  • Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (Season 1): Box itself has okay artwork but the rest is solid enough. Result - Worth It
  • Keijo!!!!!!!! - Fanservicey artwork and a booklet with more life/hometown plus calendar for the fans. Result - Worth It
  • Mob Psycho 100: Nice boxart but disappointing artwork on the case and the contents in general. Result - Not Worth It
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (Season 1): Gunpla model is a cool idea, but it ruins it for folks who simply want the set box. Result - Worth It (Fans only)/Optional/Not Worth It
  • My Hero Academia (Season 2 Part 1): If you're a fan then get it, but bare in mind that pretty much every 1-cour of this series is getting the treatment so that's a lot of shelf space and money you're putting towards. Result - Worth It (Fans only)/Optional/Not Worth It
  • Myriad Colors Phantom World: Nice artwork and for the fans only. Result - Worth It/Optional
  • Orange: Nice artwork and content though you really don't want English VA content. Result - Optional/Not Worth It
  • ReLIFE: Nice digipack layout and artwork but not much on content. Result - Worth It/Optional
  • SERVAMP: Why? Result - Not Worth It
  • Speed Racer: Jesus christ that thing talks. Also the discs aren't in the safest place. Result - Not Worth It
  • Tales of Zestiria the X (Season 1): Really nice digipack layout but Season 2 has no LE. Result - Not Worth It
  • The Testament of Sister New Devil: Nice boxart and comes with fanservice artbook. UK version will likely be superior or identical. Result - Get the UK Version
  • Yuri!!! on Ice - Holographic box with an 80-page artbook and artwork for the fans. Result - Worth It

I'm not ashamed to say I am addicted to the theme tune to this series, though I haven't actually watched it (save for some clips on YT). I do love the animation from the opening sequence though. The only thing that niggles me is the quality of the animation in parts of the series itself. I think it's MAPPA that produced this one, and I did read that they admitted that it was rushed, particularly towards the end (due to time limits and budget, the usual stuff), however, there are some parts that are animated pretty well, and overall, it's one I'd like to watch at some point, for the Russian accents if nothing else XD I also read somewhere that the animation was cleaned up a bit on the Blue Ray release?

But that's some impressive collection there dude, really cool and thanks for sharing :)

Haha that's actually my impressions of what has been shown around, I don't actually own them (only Berserk, Kabaneri, and Keijo have my attention for future purchases for now).

But I do own a couple others.

Haha, ah gotcha :) I must admit though you folks on here sure are hard-core regarding manga and anime, all of your collections are really cool and as someone who's hoping to get back into it and learn more about it, I feel I've come to the right place for all the knowledge and advice :)

Haha, ah gotcha :) I must admit though you folks on here sure are hard-core regarding manga and anime, all of your collections are really cool and as someone who's hoping to get back into it and learn more about it, I feel I've come to the right place for all the knowledge and advice :)
You’ll definitely learn a lot here. If ever there’s a question to ask then someone here has the answer.

And if you're ever looking to expand your collection the anime bargains and marketplace forums will surely empty your bank account over time.

I can well believe this! I look forward to having my money syphoned as soon as I start earning some!

I bought those last week when they came back in stock, I regret not buying the lenticular sets.
I'm about to buy those since your post reminded me. I'm not sad to have missed the lenticular covers, I think lenticulars are sh*te and should have died with the 1990s (wow, a piece of plastic you can sort of see two blurry images through in the rare instances you can see anything except light reflections, radical) but slipcases would have been nice.

Back