The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Joshawott said:
With Baccano...MangaUK's DVD is £14, but the blu-ray is £40. Is it worth getting on BD, or just DVD?

I've just finished watching the BDs. It's not the best BD out there about quality, you notice it's an upscale and the audio is stereo for both languages. So the difference with the DVD can't be huge, but since it's a kickass series then I'd suggest to go for the BD.
Besides textless opening and closing on disc 3, there are no extras (at least I didn't see any).

Teo

Just Passing Through said:
I'm getting loathe to upgrade to Blu-ray unless I really have to. Although now I'm doubly tempted with the Durarara announcement, especially as that won't be an upscale.

Having just finished Baccano and loved it, I saw that Durarara was made by the same staff. I always overlooked that series (don't even know what genre it is). Who is going to release it on BD? Price? Guess I have to write it down as a blind buy.

Teo

Mangaranga said:
Joshawott said:
Also, I have the Shana season 1 BD pre-ordered simply so it will match up with the season 2 release (also, I'm kind of praying that FUNimation don't use the Japanese masters.)

How is Shana anyway? I've never seen it, and I'm kinda on the fence about it, especially since the JP masters looked awful. Not sure whether to skip it or add it to the long list of other BDs i want this year.
As a series? It's hard to say. I would say that most of my love for the series probably is nostalgia though (that's not saying the series is bad, it's good, just not on the level of say, Cowboy Bebop). I will say that the FUNimation reissue of Geneon USA's boxset is probably the most beat up DVD in my collection, if that's any indication of how much I love the series (also, I fondly remember how I compared it and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya to Wuthering Heights in my English A-Level exam and still got a C xD).

Annoyingly, FUNimation seems to have only just blocked season 1 on their Youtube and official website, as I was able to view them last week.

Yeah, those Japanese blu-ray masters look horrible. FUNimation haven't said whether or not they'll be using them or their own remasters yet. I'll be rather annoyed IF they do use those masters, but I'm mainly rebuying season 1 to show support for the show anyway (I already have season 2 pre-ordered anyway).

teonzo said:
I'm getting loathe to upgrade to Blu-ray unless I really have to. Although now I'm doubly tempted with the Durarara announcement, especially as that won't be an upscale.

Having just finished Baccano and loved it, I saw that Durarara was made by the same staff. I always overlooked that series (don't even know what genre it is). Who is going to release it on BD? Price? Guess I have to write it down as a blind buy.

Teo

Released by Aniplex US, same as Baccano's BD

RRP $189.98 discounted to $149.98 at Right Stuf, although they can't sell it outside the US. Wait to see if UP1 have it.

Ninja Boy! said:
Rena Ryuugu said:
Just won a auction on ebay for the R1 Tenjho Tenge artbox and volumes 1,5 and 6.

haha! I was actually watching that item on ebay.
was going to pick it up but couldn't make it back home in time to bid!

lol I just lost the bid for Martian Successor Nadesico volumes 1-6, and a few minutes later I found that, with 2 minutes to go. Waited till it got to 45 seconds and placed my bid and won since nobody else has bidded. I got it for the startting bid of 4.99.

Today I ordered:

Baka and Test boxset.

Preordered:
Rosario+Vampire season 1 boxset from AoL, so hopefully I will get the keyring.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica boxset.
Strike Witches season 2 boxset.
Squid Girl boxset.
Higurashi Massacare Arc volume 1.

After Tittin' about with a few websites, Finally ordered Black Lagoon: Series 1 BD.

If I'm lucky it should arrive tomorrow.

Also Pre-Ordered Spice And Wolf: Season 2

Most recently acquired:

Hyouka v.2
Accel World v.1
Sakamichi no Apollon v.1

teonzo said:

OK, I guess you can ignore my question in the other thread now I have read this. ^^;

It's genre is... err... mystery? Maybe? It is not entirely dissimilar to Baccano! in structure and "genre", but is completely different in tone and setting. I think a lot of people who love Baccano! do not find DRRR!! to be quite as tightly written or having of such engaging characters, but it is still an exceptional show imo.

Ninja Boy! said:
So it's been a few years since i've been active on the forums here. What not with Uni and other random life matters that's been happening recently. And with that i've been very out of touch with my Manga and Anime.
Welcome back! I found Vagabond to be a little dry, but TenTen and Death Note are great ways to get back involved.

Man, the Nisemonogatari BDs have been a PITA to buy. Somehow they seem to have underestimated demand despite Bake selling like hot cakes in Winter, so I have missed out on ordering from Amazon twice and have had to go through Honto and AmiAmi, now I'm preordering next month's volume (due out on the 22nd), and Amazon are already separating it out from the rest of my order saying they don't know exactly when they will be able to ship it! Even though the preorder page just gives the release date like normal. It's like they have flagged it up specifically because they expect to be understocked. :-/

ilmaestro said:
Man, the Nisemonogatari BDs have been a PITA to buy.

I'm glad I decided to grab them all in one swoop in person (I can't receive deliveries when away so ordering things recently has been banned). Really itching for that Shirogane Disco CD, though.

Amazon JP has been pretty annoying lately in general for me too, with the Aniplex issues and various estimates slipping. For some reason my friend's Comiket catalogue shipped out from there very late, too, and it's uncertain whether he's even going to receive it in time for it to serve its purpose >_>;

R

Released by Aniplex US, same as Baccano's BD

RRP $189.98 discounted to $149.98 at Right Stuf, although they can't sell it outside the US. Wait to see if UP1 have it.

Thanks for the details!
A bit on the expensive side for my tastes, but I'll write it on the priority list, since most probably it will be the only chance to get it.

ilmaestro said:
OK, I guess you can ignore my question in the other thread now I have read this. ^^;

It's genre is... err... mystery? Maybe? It is not entirely dissimilar to Baccano! in structure and "genre", but is completely different in tone and setting. I think a lot of people who love Baccano! do not find DRRR!! to be quite as tightly written or having of such engaging characters, but it is still an exceptional show imo.

Thanks for the description. I'm not looking for a totally similar show, I think this always leads to disappointments. I'm looking for quality, so if you say it's excellent I'll try to get it. Problem is that late this year there are tons of expensive cookbooks coming out and I want to buy, they have the priority over DVDs/BDs for me. Maybe I'll just stick to buy Madoka, Durarara and a couple other series on BD.

Teo

Rui said:
ilmaestro said:
Man, the Nisemonogatari BDs have been a PITA to buy.

I'm glad I decided to grab them all in one swoop in person (I can't receive deliveries when away so ordering things recently has been banned). Really itching for that Shirogane Disco CD, though.

Amazon JP has been pretty annoying lately in general for me too, with the Aniplex issues and various estimates slipping. For some reason my friend's Comiket catalogue shipped out from there very late, too, and it's uncertain whether he's even going to receive it in time for it to serve its purpose >_>;
Aha, I did it the other way around - I have someone to take delivery of discs and such while I am away, but am picking up the catalog in person to avoid anything going wrong there. :lol:

Amazon has been generally worse since they slipped back to "your order will ship once everything is available" even ignoring the Aniplex stuff (which I had not been aware of as such a big "thing" since I haven't really been reading websites much the past couple of months), so I have been ordering more things from Honto and AmiAmi where applicable, but Amazon does remain too convenient to move away from completely. Even so, I have left my Fate/Zero box II preorder with AmiAmi for now, despite it finally going up on Amazon recently.

ilmaestro said:
Welcome back! I found Vagabond to be a little dry, but TenTen and Death Note are great ways to get back involved.

At first I did find Vagabond to feel slow. But I continues on and boy I don't regret it. It's a great series and the artwork is GOD LEVEL.
Maybe I like it so much because i've always been a fan of Takehiko Inoue, either way, these 3in1 VizBig editions are the best way to read Vagabond. Each volume ends sooner than you expect!

Ten Ten. I used to read the scanslations many years ago but stopped. The story started to get confusing (well for me anyway), but enjoyed everything else about it.

Itching to order Umineko and Durarara as soon as they go up somewhere which doesn't hate filthy non-Americans so I don't forget nearer the release dates...

ilmaestro said:
Aha, I did it the other way around - I have someone to take delivery of discs and such while I am away, but am picking up the catalog in person to avoid anything going wrong there. :lol:

The gruelling schedule involved in my strategy is a little too tight for that this time :D fortunately my catalogue was purchased elsewhere and I had it all completely marked up with glorious printouts last week. Now I just need to acquire some kind of time travel device to enable me to visit more circles than I can possibly have time for in one day :/

R

Bought Neon Genesis Evangelion - Death, Rebirth & End of Evangelion Special Edition :)

Cardboard sleeve is a bit damaged, but it was cheap and came with posters, so fairly happy.

Ninja Boy! said:
Ten Ten. I used to read the scanslations many years ago but stopped. The story started to get confusing (well for me anyway)
Yeah... yeah, I can't say you're wrong. But in a good way, I thought. ^^;

Rui said:
ilmaestro said:

The gruelling schedule involved in my strategy is a little too tight for that this time :D fortunately my catalogue was purchased elsewhere and I had it all completely marked up with glorious printouts last week. Now I just need to acquire some kind of time travel device to enable me to visit more circles than I can possibly have time for in one day :/
Mmm, I have messed that up before and ended up getting hold of a copy on the Thursday evening... several cups of coffee later, I still wasn't properly prepared and also ended up not getting so much sleep.

But these days, thanks to Twitter and Pixiv etc., it is much easier to do a lot of prep work without the catalog, and just need to dot the Is and cross the Ts, so to speak, in order to make sure you have a plan set.

As for getting everything you want and prioritizing things you still want but know you might not get... well, I would of course be happy to help out, but that would mean you having to meet me at some stage. :p

Back