The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

So it's been a few years since i've been active on the forums here. What not with Uni and other random life matters that's been happening recently. And with that i've been very out of touch with my Manga and Anime.
So since last month i've been getting back into it and catching up on some stuff online...and buying stuff!

So as a way of saying hello again thought I'd share what I got today :)

DSC_1186.jpg

- Vagabond volume 7 (Vizbig edition)
- Tenjo Tenge volume 1 (2 in 1)
- Death Note volumes 8-12

Got some more currently on order!

Rena Ryuugu said:
Just won a auction on ebay for the R1 Tenjho Tenge artbox and volumes 1,5 and 6.

haha! I was actually watching that item on ebay.
was going to pick it up but couldn't make it back home in time to bid!

After ordering the Clannad After story BD from UP1 and getting it a week or two before release, I went back and put in an order for:
Baccano! BD
The World God Only Knows II BD

Hopefully by actually owning Baccano I will be able to get through it now.

Mangaranga said:
After ordering the Clannad After story BD from UP1 and getting it a week or two before release, I went back and put in an order for:
Baccano! BD

I tried ordering Clannad Afterstory BD and TWGOK II BD from UP1 USA on Friday only to have problems putting the order through. Hopefully they will have sorted it out by now.

mangaman74 said:
Mangaranga said:
Baccano! BD

I tried ordering Clannad Afterstory BD and TWGOK II BD from UP1 USA on Friday only to have problems putting the order through. Hopefully they will have sorted it out by now.

It doesn't seem like I had any problems. It went through as normal and i got a confirmation email, so as far as i know it's fine.

edit: Actually i just noticed that you said UP1 USA... Never mind. I did notice they were slightly cheaper on the US site, but do you not risk customs charges by ordering from it?

Mangaranga said:
mangaman74 said:
Mangaranga said:
Baccano! BD

It doesn't seem like I had any problems. It went through as normal and i got a confirmation email, so as far as i know it's fine.

edit: Actually i just noticed that you said UP1 USA... Never mind. I did notice they were slightly cheaper on the US site, but do you not risk customs charges by ordering from it?

I'm sure someone else on here said you don't risk customs charges (perhaps they send the order with the weekly stock or something). I thought I'd give them a go.

Do they charge you in $s or £s though when it comes to the final payment? As my bank charges like 2.5% or something for converting back to £s, which would essentially negate any discount.

My The World God Only Knows II order is currently being processed, so hopefully I'll have that soon.

With Baccano...MangaUK's DVD is £14, but the blu-ray is £40. Is it worth getting on BD, or just DVD?

FourthLion said:
Do they charge you in $s or £s though when it comes to the final payment? As my bank charges like 2.5% or something for converting back to £s, which would essentially negate any discount.

Just put an item in the basket to check and the price was in $s with the follow next to it,

(You will be charged this amount in USD)
For your reference your Bank should charge you approximately (£29.35 - €36.81 - CAD$47.06 - Currencies may fluctuate.)

For the record I used Black Butler Complete Series 2 to check this.

mangaman74 said:
I'm sure someone else on here said you don't risk customs charges (perhaps they send the order with the weekly stock or something). I thought I'd give them a go.

Ah right, please let me know how you get on.

Joshawott said:
My The World God Only Knows II order is currently being processed, so hopefully I'll have that soon.

With Baccano...MangaUK's DVD is £14, but the blu-ray is £40. Is it worth getting on BD, or just DVD?

I exclusively buy BD now, even though i know this show is an upscale, by buying the BD you get the best Audio/Video quality available, as well as nicer packaging. But if you don't mind buying PAL DVD's (unlike me) then I would say get the DVD.

BD vs DVD here (Thanks Ayase)

ayase said:
Mangaranga said:
Here's an frame from the BD ver.
Not to criticise your helpful intentions, but I'm not sure a 1024x576 jpeg is very indicative of BD quality. This is probably more useful.

Thank you! I didn't have a link handy so i just took a snapshot from a 720p rip, but hey, I was just trying to help :)

I generally always buy blu-ray over DVD as well when I can, but when the price of the blu-ray is considerably more than the DVD, sometimes I do ask myself if it's worth it. So I ended up buying MangaUK's Vampire Bund DVDs instead of FUNi's blu-ray and MangaUK's Strike Witches DVD instead of waiting for the FUNi set. I will probably be doing the same with Squid Girl (although I've yet to hear on the BD quality of that one). Also, I have the Shana season 1 BD pre-ordered simply so it will match up with the season 2 release (also, I'm kind of praying that FUNimation don't use the Japanese masters. Fairy Tail has shown that they can do some pretty cool upscales).

Essentially, if it's native HD I'll go for blu-ray every time, but if it's an upscale, it becomes about how good the upscale is. With Baccano, tbh, that screencap doesn't look too different to DVD quality to me. So I'll probably pick up Manga's DVD. In fact, I almost did a couple of weeks ago when I was in Manchester, but I didn't because someone has misplaced my ID and I was nervous about getting ID'd and not being able to produce one.

EDIT:
Okay, that second picture is definitely a fair bit sharper...

hmmm...might as well pick it up on blu-ray when I get paid (although August is a fairly packed month as it is xD).

Everything I've read about Baccano's Blu-ray is that it blows Funimation's DVD out of the water. It's one of the best upscales around. I have the Funimation release and it's a particularly average one. I haven't seen the PAL release to compare it to though.

I'm getting loathe to upgrade to Blu-ray unless I really have to. Although now I'm doubly tempted with the Durarara announcement, especially as that won't be an upscale.

Joshawott said:
Also, I have the Shana season 1 BD pre-ordered simply so it will match up with the season 2 release (also, I'm kind of praying that FUNimation don't use the Japanese masters.)

How is Shana anyway? I've never seen it, and I'm kinda on the fence about it, especially since the JP masters looked awful. Not sure whether to skip it or add it to the long list of other BDs i want this year.

Just Passing Through said:
I'm getting loathe to upgrade to Blu-ray unless I really have to. Although now I'm doubly tempted with the Durarara announcement, especially as that won't be an upscale.

I want that Durarara BD set. I don't care how much it is, I love that series.

Back