The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

ilmaestro said:
My lack of experience with TRSI will show here - do they roll straight into another studio sale, all the time? Since I already ordered Star Driver with some Funi sale stuff, will they shout at me if it's a Bandai sale and I say "can I get the discounted price on Star Driver please"?

They will roll straight into another, though it might be something rubbish like a 4 day manga sale or Korean live action or something. There have been loads of terrible sales lately though so the odds of a decent one are slightly higher. If you can't fill out an order it's generally worth waiting as there are a few hours of overlap on the day they switch over.

I expect if you e-mail them and say you didn't realise they'll be happy to give you the discount. Since if they don't you can just ask them to cancel it and reorder anyway :D

At risk of increasing my dark reputation, if B-gata H-kei's English title is a scary prospect, check out the marketing blurb :D

http://www.funimation.com/b-gata-h-kei-yamada-s-first-time

R

Rui...... I think you are determined to single handedly destroy whatever hope I still have left in Japanese animation.....

Although do have to admit to guiltly laughing at that blub,

. If Yamada can’t even make the sex with him, she’ll never score a hundred cherry boys

Did an American write this or was it translated direct from Japanese? because it sounds like really poorly broken American English.

Rui said:
ilmaestro said:
My lack of experience with TRSI will show here - do they roll straight into another studio sale, all the time? Since I already ordered Star Driver with some Funi sale stuff, will they shout at me if it's a Bandai sale and I say "can I get the discounted price on Star Driver please"?

They will roll straight into another, though it might be something rubbish like a 4 day manga sale or Korean live action or something. There have been loads of terrible sales lately though so the odds of a decent one are slightly higher. If you can't fill out an order it's generally worth waiting as there are a few hours of overlap on the day they switch over.

I expect if you e-mail them and say you didn't realise they'll be happy to give you the discount. Since if they don't you can just ask them to cancel it and reorder anyway :D

At risk of increasing my dark reputation, if B-gata H-kei's English title is a scary prospect, check out the marketing blurb :D

http://www.funimation.com/b-gata-h-kei-yamada-s-first-time

R

"If Yamada can’t even make the sex with him, she’ll never score a hundred cherry boys."

XD BEST BLURB EVER Also "he reminds you of a black and white film" what does that even mean? XD

make the sex
This must become a meme.

Also, Fabio, you're actually buying this? Not only does it sound horrific anyway, but for me it would just drag up the fact that I didn't get to make the sex when I was at school. Or it seems, any more. And only very sporadically in the intervening years (yes, I'm now bitter to the point where seeing fictional characters with active sex lives makes me angry).

ayase said:
make the sex
This must become a meme.

Also, Fabio, you're actually buying this? Not only does it sound horrific anyway, but for me it would just drag up the fact that I didn't get to make the sex when I was at school. Or it seems, any more. And only very sporadically in the intervening years (yes, I'm now bitter to the point where seeing fictional characters with active sex lives makes me angry).

Seeing the word sex written down makes me angry. Even typing it in that sentecnes caused a flicker of rage to pass my countenance.

In their defence, it is quite clearly deliberately written with only the most casual of regards for the English language. I think the bigger problem is just how bad a stab it is at "high school girl talk". The title is also as bad as... well, 99% of titles that they try to "localize".

--

Thank you for the TRSI info, Rui.

ilmaestro said:
Where do you make your import purchases from usually, Fabby?
Lately I've been using Axel Music more often than any other place, though I don't order that much. After shipping their prices are a fair bit cheaper than the UK-based importers, and while not quite as cheap as TSRI, all the tax is paid and everything so there's no potentiality of the goodies being seized (you can tell I'm a worrier by nature).

ayase said:
Heh. I don't think the show is as bad as the premise makes it sound, and certainly isn't as bad as that awful blurb makes it sound. Here's a review from the hyper-critical Nihon Review. Ecchi comedy that's actually funny is too rare for me to pass this up.

I'm sort of tempted to get it myself now in case the blurb is included on the box (oh, and because it actually being funny sounds appealing). Maybe if tonight's sale is good >_>;

R (ooh, they're doing a preorder item with it too as an incentive...)

Rui said:
(ooh, they're doing a preorder item with it too as an incentive...)
I wonder if it'll be a Yamada-branded rubber?

Following up on something I mentioned a couple of weeks back, my copy of Squid Girl arrived. And, as expected, I join a growing number of irate fans whose discs were rattling about getting scratched to buggery. The hubs don't even hold the discs; all I have to do is close the case and both of them fall off. Thankfully only one has any real scratches and it plays okay, so I'm not going through the hassle of a return, especially as the same thing is likely to happen.

And! Today Otaku received stock of Megami Deluxe 17. I had 15 quid in my Paypal account. Guess what happened? (Rhetorical question btw.)

fabricatedlunatic said:
Rui said:
(ooh, they're doing a preorder item with it too as an incentive...)
I wonder if it'll be a Yamada-branded rubber?

Following up on something I mentioned a couple of weeks back, my copy of Squid Girl arrived. And, as expected, I join a growing number of irate fans whose discs were rattling about getting scratched to buggery. The hubs don't even hold the discs; all I have to do is close the case and both of them fall off. Thankfully only one has any real scratches and it plays okay, so I'm not going through the hassle of a return, especially as the same thing is likely to happen.

And! Today Otaku received stock of Megami Deluxe 17. I had 15 quid in my Paypal account. Guess what happened? (Rhetorical question btw.)
Well, that's put me off importing Squid Girl for the time being. Thanks for the heads up.

Feels like a Dark Horse sale today, so Yamada's dubious promotional item is safe for however long that will last. I think I'll buy the series though, either tonight with some other stuff from the weeklies or when the next sale starts.

R

Wracked with guilt, I snuck on and grabbed B-gata H-kei LE, Highschool of the Dead and Samurai Girls. I'll add something else later during another sale. A wonderful order of blu-ray fanservice >_>;

Since the latter two were added to the weeklies but didn't have the coupon restrictions on yet, I got a good price and used the monthly GA voucher. Hohohoho.

R

I was initially just updating my on-going manga series:

Negima 31
Higurashi Atonement arc 1
Hayate 18
Rosario 2.6

And then I decided why not and decided to splurge on a series I've been thinking about for over a year:
The drifting classroom 1-11 :D

I'm somewhat mind blowed that some people here are actually buying the Yamada san wants to make the sex with one hurdred cherry boys show..... To allow my inner Clergyman out: Your funding the devil!

From that review Fabio posted

The Highlights:
Yamada: Horniest female lead, ever.
Kosuda: Passive, clueless and sexually inept.
Romantic rival: An incestuous pervert bent on Yamada’s destruction.
Which makes this show: The greatest rom-com ever made.

These are the highlights...seriously? Its just a collection of the very worst anime tropes.

It kind of reminds me of an AF17 review.. And I mean no offense by that AF, I love your reviews.

vashdaman said:
I'm somewhat mind blowed that some people here are actually buying the Yamada san wants to make the sex with one hurdred cherry boys show..... To allow my inner Clergyman out: Your funding the devil!

From that review Fabio posted

The Highlights:
Yamada: Horniest female lead, ever.
Kosuda: Passive, clueless and sexually inept.
Romantic rival: An incestuous pervert bent on Yamada’s destruction.
Which makes this show: The greatest rom-com ever made.

These are the highlights...seriously? Its just a collection of the very worst anime tropes.

It kind of reminds me of an AF17 review.. And I mean no offense by that AF, I love your reviews.
its ok ^_^
why does it remind you of me anyway?

It's not as unoriginal as you're imagining it to be, Vash, but to be fair I also didn't find it to be legitimately very funny.

Calling it "the greatest rom-com ever made" is some away with the fairies business, tbh.

Fair enough. I am impressed by the fact you've already seen it though ilmae, where do you fit in all this anime...I genuinly envy your anime watching abilities seeing how I'm struggling to find the time to watch any.

@AF17
lol, I don't really know why. Its probably because your always reviewing these strange and obscure shows I didn't even know existed, some of which sound quite similar to this one.

vashdaman said:
Fair enough. I am impressed by the fact you've already seen it though ilmae, where do you fit in all this anime...I genuinly envy your anime watching abilities seeing how I'm struggling to find the time to watch any.
I generally prioritize it over all other hobbies except exercise (and even then, I might have it on in the background), lol. Unless you are working 60+ hours a week and running more than 70-100k a month, you have more than or equal free time to me. :p

Back