The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

fabricatedlunatic said:
And thanks to the Tenchi GXP episode in which the original cast members make an appearance, and given that Tenchi GXP is part of the OVA continuity, I have a renewed desire to rewatch the original series (you'd better not be messing with me, nostalgia). And since the third OVA is the only part of that continuity I'm missing, I ordered all three volumes from Second Spin. No discount this time, but free shipping. It's not supposed to be very good, hence not owning it already, but right now my heart says yes louder than my head says no.

The third OVA is a bit of a let down compared to how good the rest of it is.

*a girl and her dog

I was feeling a bit/very depressed today. So, I looked over my manga, spotted volumes 1-5 of Kurokami - which I'd picked up for cheap off eBay awhile back - and started reading.

The first three volumes impressed me. Like the other Korean work I've seen - which was, oddly enough, drawn by the same guy - it's full of lots of fighting, but unlike that it has more than just 'fight-fight-fight' going for it; it has a... soul that keeps me reading. The art is top draw, the characters and action looking lovely, the two female leads are both endearing (one being hot, having big boobs <3) and the comedy, despite being nothing new, has amused me. Even the story has kept me interested... even though very little has been revealed. It's been a lot of fun to read.

Up to yet, the only major negative has been the lead being a dick. He says nasty things and takes money from his love interest/'mother'/whatever... yet, in true manga/anime style, gets ladies after his penis. On the plus side, at least he ain't the usual wimpy harem lead... I just wish he was more in-between the 'wimp' and 'dick' character types.

Anyway, long story short, I ordered volume six from TBD and volume seven from Amazon. I'm a little worried about my TBD order since my 'Catcher in the Rye' book is AWOL, but they were a fair bit cheaper than Amazon with the 10% off code.

I recommend others give it a go - the first volume is selling for £3.96 over on Amazon, and each volume is like 220 pages long. None of that 150-180 page business. And Yen Press translate the sound effects underneath/above the panels. 'Tis good value for £££.

Dracos said:
The third [Tenchi] OVA is a bit of a let down compared to how good the rest of it is.
Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus. I've lowered my expectations accordingly.

Personally I think the first 6-episode OVA is some of the best anime of the 1990s and the only truly worthwhile material to come out of the franchise. A victim of its own success, Pioneer ran it into the ground with the multiple retreads, and did the same with El Hazard a couple of years later.

Damn you, nostalgia.

I actually own and like most of the Tenchi spin-offs I can think of. The original OVA is the best of it. The final OVA is okay up until the rushed ending which drops it below the quality of some of the lesser rated spin-offs.

Bought Blassreiter Part 1. Already seen the show in sub when FUNimation let the UK view its streams, so it will probably sit around for a bit until I decide to check out the dub.

I find the third Tenchi OVA better to watch backwards. It starts off strongly, fades a bit in the middle, and then disappears up its own ****.

I've seen all that has been released in the UK, plus Tenchi GXP. I've enjoyed it all, but the first two OVA series are top. I tell a lie. I love the third Tenchi movie more.

There seems to be another Tenchi spinoff Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari which has not made it to the West yet. I wonder if it is any good and if we are likely to see it.

The things I have are the OVAs, Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo, the 3 films, Mihosi/Pretty Sammy specials, Magical Project S, Tenchi Muyo! GXP and Sasami Magical Girl Club. I think that's it.

I just ordered Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventures DVDs as I read this is another Tenchi spinoff/related series.

Just Passing Through said:
Didn't Manga Ent announce Pretty Sammy last year when they signed up with Funimation?

I am assuming it was probably Sasami Magical Girl Club or the Pretty Sammy / Mihosi special OVAs rather than Magical Project S. You have me intrigued now so I will have to check it out.

Had a look back at the announcement in October 2008. Manga announced a whole heap of Funimation titles, many of which we have got like Claymore, DtB, Negima and so on. What we haven't yet seen are

Ichigo 100%
Sasami
Save me Lollipop
and Honey & Clover

I don't think I have even heard of FUNi doing anything with Ichigo/Strawberry 100% so no idea when we may see that.

I thought Sasami was quite fun but it really has nothing to do with the rest of the Tenchi shows.

Dracos said:
I don't think I have even heard of FUNi doing anything with Ichigo/Strawberry 100% so no idea when we may see that.

Had a look at ANN's encyclopaedia. and apparently it isn't even licensed in the West. I wonder why Manga mentioned it last year.

That's too bad I like the manga and would like to see the anime. I just wonder why certain things get picked up and others don't when you see the quality of some of the stuff released. I have been looking up a few bits on ANN and it is quite interesting to see some of the bits and pieces that are already licensed in Europe and the like but not in the US and UK.

I'm sure I remembered hearing that Viz had picked up Ichigo 100% and were sitting on the license as they tend to do with everything that isn't Shounen Jump. So I had a look and found this. No mention of it on the US site, though.

I received the Gundam 0083 OVA from a small R1 retailer today. Though the item was only £16 minus shipping prices, they did me the favour of declaring the item as being valued significantly less than this.

Blu-ray:

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 v.2
CANAAN v.2
Bakemonogatari v.2
Queen's Blade v.6
Eden of the East v.5 (yay! Finished, can start a rewatch now)
Fullmetal Alchemist v.4
K-ON! v.5 (actually received a couple of weeks ago, can't remember if I listed it already)

DVD:

Suzumiya Haruhi 2009 v.4

Also got the Yotsubato! 2010 monthly calendar, very high quality awesomeness.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I'm sure I remembered hearing that Viz had picked up Ichigo 100% and were sitting on the license as they tend to do with everything that isn't Shounen Jump. So I had a look and found this. No mention of it on the US site, though.

Oh not Viz!

They have a horrible habit of not releasing what they licence, and dropping series half way when they even get around to releasing them.

fabricatedlunatic said:

Oh not Viz!

They have a horrible habit of not releasing what they licence, and dropping series half way when they even get around to releasing them.

I found some forum posts around the net at the end of 2006 saying that Viz had Ichigo 100% and Honey and Clover as they have only just done Honey And Clover maybe we might get Ichigo 100% when they have finished with that. Viz only seem to do a few things at a time so it could be coming, at the moment from what I can remember they have Bleach, Naruto, Honey and Clover and Nana. Looking at that Viz Europe page it does make it look like something already has been done, but there were no real details to be had.

Bought Nabari Part 2

Back