The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Beware of that Galaxy Railways set. It's one of Funimation's Viridian sets, that does away with the plastic, and keeps the discs inside card holders in a book binding arrangement.

I had the Tenchi GXP last Christmas from PlayUSA like this, and the first thing I did was to carefully remove the adhesive meant to hold the card together from the disc surfaces, then I found eight empty cases to keep the discs in, once I checked that none of the scratches weren't too deep and wouldn't make the discs skip.

Aion said:
Kashimashi = lesbians.
Phoenix = unknown gem, based on a highly regarded manga.
Midori Days = supposedly decent rom-com.
Gokusen = female equivalent of GTO.
Galaxy Railways = space drama, somehow involving trains.

I think Gokusen will annoy you due to its similarities to GTO. I liked it though despite that - and you get to see where my original avatar came from ;)

Phoenix was a nice little show and Midori Days was somewhat generic but sweet and worth owning just so you can describe the concept to other people and watch their brains explode. Haven't seen the others (and have no plans to).

R

Just Passing Through said:
Beware of that Galaxy Railways set. It's one of Funimation's Viridian sets, that does away with the plastic, and keeps the discs inside card holders in a book binding arrangement.
I own the Blue Gender Viridian Collection. It didn't fare well during shipping and arrived a little bent. It transpires that the Viridian series is the Tesco Value of anime packages. I won't complain though, 'tis still good value.

My Kiddy Grade set was packaged in one of those flimsy paper tardpaks. Funimation have since seen the error of the ways, discontinuing the tardpaks and re-releasing them as thinpak sets, but Galaxy Railways isn't due an "upgrade" until the end of July.

Never had the pleasure of dealing with the packaging described before on the DVD front. I have, however, had my Lunar soundtrack CD stuck to the sleeve it was packaged in because of some excess sticky substance. It, an unused CD, was scratched as a result.

Also, believe it not, the Kenshin premium sets have individual sleeves for each DVD - the same sort of packaging the Viridian sets are supposed to have. It isn't just the cheapo sets that get the sleeve treatment.

Whether the packaging is naff or not, it's hard to resist paying £15 for a 24-26(?) episode series (Suzuka) and equally difficult to resist paying £18 for another lengthy series. If I end up unhappy then I'll have learned my lesson... I can't really bring myself to cancel either order without looking at the goods with my own eyes. At the end of the day, it's only £3 per DVD for the Galaxy Railway set, and it isn't released over here.

Out of the eight box sets I currently have ordered (PlayUSA), I'm only expecting anything 9-10/10 worthy out of True Tears and Phoenix. Paradise Kiss also has a chance but, since it isn't aimed at my kind (/Armstrong) I don't think it'll get above 8/10 from me. The other five orders were ordered simly because A) they're cheap and B) they might pass time without boring me.

Sensual order has arrived for this month (all on Blu-ray):

Code Geass v.9
Code Geass R2 v.9
Macross F v.9
Gundam 00 Second v.4
Mouryou no Hako boxset
Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone

and I'll be in Japan when the second film is out in the cinema. \o/

Why will you be in Japan and why do you buy only Japanese DVDs? You aren't Japanese - you're a more scary looking English person than myself. I don't get you.

Also, how much did those cost? I lol a you for collecting 2x 9 Code Geass Blu-ray DVDs.

lol

Aion said:
Why will you be in Japan and why do you buy only Japanese DVDs? You aren't Japanese - you're a more scary looking English person than myself. I don't get you.

Also, how much did those cost? I lol a you for collecting 2x 9 Code Geass Blu-ray DVDs.

lol
In order: Going to Japan for Comiket, because the series come out much sooner with higher quality releases/Blu-ray releases that won't be out here any time soon (but I don't <i>only</i> buy Japanese DVDs), I don't think you've ever seen a picture of me, a heck of a lot, and that's 2x9 BDs on top of the 9 DVDs of the first season I have, plus the two fan discs and the Black Rebellion compilation movie, and preorders for the forthcoming Blu-rays of Black Rebellion and the R2 compilation movie. And some art books. I like Geass. ^_^

chaos said:
ilmaestro said:

Awesome! bring us some Omiage!
;D
I can take some pictures of the stuff I buy for myself, if that's close enough? ^^;

/runs out of money quickly in Japan

ilmaestro said:
chaos said:
ilmaestro said:

Awesome! bring us some Omiage!
;D
I can take some pictures of the stuff I buy for myself, if that's close enough? ^^;

/runs out of money quickly in Japan
Free flyers from places you go?

Anyway, Komiket awesome =) If only I could actually read any japanese.

ilmaestro said:
Aion said:
a heck of a lot, and that's 2x9 BDs on top of the 9 DVDs of the first season I have, plus the two fan discs and the Black Rebellion compilation movie, and preorders for the forthcoming Blu-rays of Black Rebellion and the R2 compilation movie. And some art books. I like Geass. ^_^

I'll vouch for this.

It was just about acceptable to buy Japanese DVDs before the exchange rate crashed, but not anymore, it's a huge shame.

I bought the first volume of Soul Eater for quite a bit under £20 from CDJapan w/ all the preorder bonuses before the exchange rate dropped, and preordered the 3 subsequent volumes w/ boxes and extras, and they are all £50 now (would have been £30 at the time of ordering), but I couldn't bring myself to cancel them.

I started buying tons of Japanese CDs as well, which was much more acceptable, each being just over a tenner usually, way under the £18 limit, but now all CDs are just under £18 and w/ shipping it brings them to like £20, then with a customs charge is nearly £30, which is ridiculous. It's really a huge shame, because Japanese CDs are pretty damn awesome.

Hrm, both the GDP:USD and GDP:JPY rates are going steadily up, at 1.65 and 160 respectively at the moment, just over 1.8 and 200 respectively will make it reasonable to import again, I seriously hope the rates keep going up!

It surprises me not one bit that the pound started to recover shortly after I made two large orders at Right Stuf when the rate was £1 : $1.45 or thereabouts. Limited stock meant that I couldn't wait.

Still, at least I don't import R2J DVDs :eek:

fabricatedlunatic said:
It surprises me not one bit that the pound started to recover shortly after I made two large orders at Right Stuf when the rate was £1 : $1.45 or thereabouts. Limited stock meant that I couldn't wait.
Big picture, fabricatedlunatic, big picture. By the end of this year we could be enjoying some fairly comfortable mileage for our coin.

Shigurui: Death Frenzy (Pre-order) - £11.99

Black Blood Brothers - £11.99 (Was sent within a few hours of ordering)

Shigurui comes out on my birthday and is only £12 on release, for 12 episodes. It's fate.

Black Blood Brothers is very cheap, has only recently come out and is a complete series. It might be worth a watch and I want to support Manga's cheap releases.

I would've also got the other 12 episode set if it was selling for £12, but it's selling for £13. A single pound decided it.

On another, more random Manga note, volume 4 of Death Note is seriously pissing me off. It isn't dropping in price because retards keep paying £10 for a single DVD, even more now doing so because volume 5 of Death Note just came out. I refuse to pay £10 for a single DVD and, because of this, I don't want to order the last volume.

Back