The All Purpose Mobile Suit Gundam Thread

kupocake said:
Wing is slap bang in the middle of Gundam's history
It's actually quite scary to think this, I still feel like Gundam was around for so much longer before I'd heard of it than since.

kupocake said:
vashdaman said:
Im sure the older Gundams are great too, but Im put off by the fact that they are so old now.
Wing is slap bang in the middle of Gundam's history, so if you can stomach its dated animation, you could easily go the extra half-mile and watch everything before it.
vashdaman said:
The new series dont look like they have that special wing magic to me
They're all as homoerotic as each other, but no, no other series ever quite said 'You know, East 17 would be great anime protagonists!' again

What do you mean that wasn't the appeal?

lol fair enough, but I just thought that the crazy cast were kinda cool, especially with their more crazy gundams, well they were a good match in my opinion anyway.

You have a point though, maybe I should try the older ones

ilmaestro said:
kupocake said:
It's actually quite scary to think this, I still feel like Gundam was around for so much longer before I'd heard of it than since.
Wing did tiptoe to the west about five years late though. X and Turn-A had already aired.

kupocake said:
ilmaestro said:
kupocake said:
Wing did tiptoe to the west about five years late though. X and Turn-A had already aired.

You know i still question the wisdome of Bandai to make G Gundam the next series to show in america (followed by the original series) when they could of easily gotten Gundam X or even made plans to snag Gundam SEED as soon as it had finished its airing.

kupocake said:
ilmaestro said:
kupocake said:
Ah yes, that is true. Still, that decade seems to have gone by very quickly. :/

BlackWolf said:
You know i still question the wisdome of Bandai to make G Gundam the next series to show in america (followed by the original series) when they could of easily gotten Gundam X or even made plans to snag Gundam SEED as soon as it had finished its airing.
In the US at least (because with the UK, you can't complain if they simply AIR anime in the first place), 0079, 08th MS Team and 0083 aired before G Gundam, and by most accounts, they're what killed the growth of a fragile fanbase even before it began to grow. G Gundam is a show that is far closer in tone to Gundam Wing, and was the most logical choice. As for Gundam X, you'd have to have some crazy voodoo thing going on to choose a series that was cancelled in its original market 10 episodes early due to complete viewer apathy...

Ok, so 0079 was cancelled that early, but Gundam X was a non-event in Japan. Doesn't mean it wasn't kind of good... it's the best of the mid-90s AU shows.

Wait, that means I hate it, doesn't it? :p

If anything, the Gundam strategy in America simply involved them putting out too much at once. It's remarkable just how much of Gundam can be got from the US, considering that it was only really released between 2001-2004. That's consumer overload, especially when you consider that the franchise is extremely hit and miss.

edit: Even Japan needed a break with the Gundam fatigue of the mid-90s. Poor Victory Gundam.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves :p I've heard multiple things about Unicorn Gundam :p

I'm still intrested to find out if we've got a movie on our hands or an OVA series, no one seems bothered enough to provide some concrete details

Bump.

So I finished 0079 yesterday and watched War in the Pocket this morning, I adored War in the Pocket and 0079 was good for the history of Gundam if nothing else. Considering watching 08th MS team and Zeta next, I just hope the subs I find don't mess up on me. Also, is 00 worth it? Turn A will come one day.

Lupus said:
Considering watching 08th MS team and Zeta next, I just hope the subs I find don't mess up on me.
At least consider getting the Bandai Ent R1 DVDs. Only about £15 for MS Team, £30 to grab both Anime Legends Zeta boxsets (don't go the five volume route. Still waiting to see the fifth volume at an affordable price! However, note the missing Op and End songs).

Chronologically 08th MS Team is set before even 0080. Extra credit awarded for noting the continuity mistakes. Have you seen 0083 as well? That went on Anime legends recently.
Lupus said:
Also, is 00 worth it? Turn A will come one day.
I like 00, especially the second half. That said, perhaps come back to it sometime in the future (probable Beez Blu-Ray release before the horsemen ride through the burning sky), because you can easily have too much Gundam and there isn't an Alternative Universe Gundam that doesn't feel a little too much like Deja Vu.

edit: In vaguely related news, there has been progress on subtitling Tomino's Heavy Metal L-Gaim (halfway through). This makes me happy, because it's even more Zeta than Zeta in some way.

BlackWolf said:
I'm still intrested to find out if we've got a movie on our hands or an OVA series, no one seems bothered enough to provide some concrete details
Gundam Unicorn more than likely an OVA series.

I think this is good, personally. I wasn't really looking forward to another 50-odd ep UC Gundam series. OVAs will enable them to cut out any crap (and will come with increased animation budget). Simultaneous worldwide release sounds promising too.

Ironically i just read somwhere as well that said the 1st installment would cover the first two novels :p but with signs pointing to an OVA series then this will be a good one to watch, especially if Bandai hold true to their talk about "worldwide" release

The news now is that it'll be a "worldwide simultaneous release". Scepticism is my first reaction, but I'll wait to see if we hear any news about it over here from Andrew et al.

^ I'm fairly hopeful because Bandai / Beez managed to pull this off with the Freedom and Gunbuster Blu-ray releases. Not seen anything else since then mind you...

ayase said:
^ I'm fairly hopeful because Bandai / Beez managed to pull this off with the Freedom and Gunbuster Blu-ray releases. Not seen anything else since then mind you...
And I must add that both are awesome.

I've seen the gunbuster x diebuster and I'm impressed. the extras were good, quality of the shows themselves are top notch. It's pure win.

Haven't seen my Freedom boxset just yet, damn me and my huge backlog!!!
anyway, I'll comment on it once I've seen it.

If it's Unicorn, then I'll buy! Well, when I actually finish ZETA and ZZ.

Unless Beez is selling for like eighty quid, sorry Andrew.

Last edited by a moderator:
So a movie-trilogy size OVA for Unicorn. Interesting, but I'm still sceptical that a 10 volume novel can be compressed down to five hours of screen-time.

Back