The All Purpose Mobile Suit Gundam Thread

Looks like you have some "research to do" and by research i mean watching :p

I've already seen a few negative comments about the fact that its set in UC i mean its good though, they could of jammed it into the one year war storyline like they've done with a lot of the other stuff

BlackWolf said:

I've already seen a few negative comments about the fact that its set in UC i mean its good though, they could of jammed it into the one year war storyline like they've done with a lot of the other stuff

destiny comes first ;) (god forbid)

i supose the negativity comes from the fact that alot of the current generation of Anime fans were brought up with Wing and Seed.

It's the same with the new star trek movie, only the hardcore of star trek fans and older fans would really care about kirks, nower generations prefer the janeways and picards

Exactly the reason Enterprise failed

Ryo Chan said:
BlackWolf said:

destiny comes first ;) (god forbid)

i supose the negativity comes from the fact that alot of the current generation of Anime fans were brought up with Wing and Seed.

It's the same with the new star trek movie, only the hardcore of star trek fans and older fans would really care about kirks, nower generations prefer the janeways and picards

Exactly the reason Enterprise failed

Well for me there was plently of other reasons that Enterprise failed :p Kinda ironic that you use star trek as an example since some fans called Gundam the star trek of japan.

I can see that though, i mean UC has had new stuff added through manga and short animated proudctions (the MS IGLOO series), would of been better though if they twisted Tomino's arm into directing a new series or something.

Seen all of:
Gundam 0079, Gundam 08th MS Team, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, Zeta Gundam, Gundam Double Zeta, Char's Counterattack, F91 Gundam, Victory Gundam, Gundam X, Turn-A Gundam, Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny, Gundam 00, MS Igloo

Seen half of:
Gundam Wing, G Gundam, SD Gundam OAVs

Will Probably never touch:
Saviour Gundam, SD Gundam Series

All you need to know is, it's all pretty bad.

and for those unaware of what kupo means

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kQXJlISWIi4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kQXJlISWIi4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

*shudders* I had actually forgotten about SD Gundam Force up until a little while ago, G-Saviour i've seen bits of on youtube and i laughed at it, and i could see why Bandai american arm were quick to forget it.

Currently working my way through Gundam 00 at present. Watched episodes 17-20 of season 1 last night and i'm glad to see the series actually get stronger as it goes on.

On watching: It was hard not to feel sorry for Saji in these episodes, not only had his girlfriend Louise lost her hand and entire family, but it looks like he has just lost his sister too and so soon after. I used to wonder what the purpose of Saji and Louises characters where but it gradually appears to be how normal civilians have come to struggle with Celestial Being, and the whole war as is. Thats something i found to be a nice touch to the series. I expect his part may become larger as the series goes on, but for now i'll wait and see, and indulge in the upcoming Gundam battles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I hear "New" and "Universal Century" in the same sentance?

::eek:ne side of face twists into manic grin, other contorts into grimace of horror::

Y'know what I'd like to see from a new UC series? Them to use and build on characters and events from the older series in a non-fanservice-y manner and some real originality in characters and stories.

Okay, stop laughing.

ayase said:
Did I hear "New" and "Universal Century" in the same sentance?

::eek:ne side of face twists into manic grin, other contorts into grimace of horror::

Y'know what I'd like to see from a new UC series? Them to use and build on characters and events from the older series in a non-fanservice-y manner and some real originality in characters and stories.

Okay, stop laughing.

i'd much rather have Crossbone Gundam animated :p

I'd rather see Gundam Sentinel. It always sounded like Double Zeta done properly.
Arbalest said:
Currently working my way through Gundam 00 at present. Watched episodes 17-20 of season 1 last night and i'm glad to see the series actually get stronger as it goes on.
Oh definitely. 00 started very slowly, established a world that wasn't something dramatically new, with the usual kinds of characters, and then it just suddenly kicked in and ended very dramatically. The second series is even better, well planned out. If it does have one failing though, it's that there are far too many supporting characters. In the latest episode of the second series, you can't help but feel that certain characters are popping up to say farewell after having bench-warmed whilst the newer, shinier antagonists get picked off one by one.

I completely missed the fact that a new UC Gundam series has actually been announced, even though you all said so in this thread. Duh.

0081? *Groans*. Filling in the time between the time between First and Zeta? I hope they take a 0080 approach to this and don't get bogged down in the 'Federation was actually really bad, you just never saw it haw haw' antics of 0083.

So far plot details are thin on the ground hopefully it will take a balanced apporach with demonising the different fractions, still not sure what new things they can offer for that part of the UC timeline. Still need to watch MS igloo saying that though

kupocake said:
I'd rather see Gundam Sentinel. It always sounded like Double Zeta done properly.
I've been meaning to read this for years, you've bumped it to the top of my pile with that reminder.

Bwaha so Sunrise have run outta idea's and decided to copy Macross it seems.

the songstress going into space to sing for peace, aircraft that turn into mobile suits, and if you think about it, it's the united nations of Earth (or UN) vs the Terrorists.... hmmmmmmm isn't that the UN wars of Macross?

i'm calling it now, 2 episodes to go till a giant spaceship crash lands on earth on macross island :D

Ryo Chan said:

the songstress going into space to sing for peace, aircraft that turn into mobile suits, and if you think about it, it's the united nations of Earth (or UN) vs the Terrorists.... hmmmmmmm isn't that the UN wars of Macross?

i'm calling it now, 2 episodes to go till a giant spaceship crash lands on earth on macross island :D

Sounds like your watching SEED still :p

Ryo Chan said:
The songstress is probably copying SEED which copied Macross. And Sunrise gave us transforming mecha in Zeta only after Macross as well. It seems a little underwhelming to state that a series like 00 is plagiarising robot shows left right and centre. Be glad it's taken until 3 episodes till the end to hit your "I've seen this before" button :p

And UN versus terrorists would come from First Gundam, if it didn't already come from real life.

If i recall correctly though transforming mech was done before (not in the real robot style though) i think the lead in the Brave Reideen series transformed.

Also Lacus's songs are only good if you're watching the sub, a message to bandai: If you dubbing and you have a character which sings, make sure you get a VA who can do both the talking and the singing instead of having two seperate voices...

EDIT: Realised i left a bit out of that last part :p

Back