The All Purpose Mobile Suit Gundam Thread

What follows is somewhat of a random question:
I've never seen any Gundam at all (save this AMV), but I've noticed I can buy 0080 and The 08th MS Team with relative ease. Would these be any good to a complete newcomer, or am I better off looking at other titles?

Well you can watch them easily enough as they self contained plots just that you probably will miss a lot of background information. I mean 0080 is my favourite Gundam OVA

You'd be better off watching the remastered releases on the net. The recent 0th team box set doesn't have the remastered episodes. It looks lovely remastered; the colours are vivid and there's very little dirt/grain.

And, yes, you can watch it, Gundam noob or not. I watched, knowing very little about Gundam, and I had no issues. I am quite smart, though.

Gundam 0080 and 08th MS Team can be certainly enjoyed without prior knowledge. In fact, knowing the background in 0080 just makes the occasional name drops more jarring ("HUR HUR I THINK THEY SEND DIS TO NEWTYPE ACE ON WHITE BASE HUR") and in 08th MS Team, it'll just make you into a bitter continuity monster moaning at inconsequential nonsense (Mass Produced Ground Gundams?!?! GMs before Ghiren's speech!!! What is this!)
BlackWolf said:
If i recall correctly though transforming mech was done before (not in the real robot style though) i think the lead in the Brave Reideen series transformed.
I think it's without a doubt that Macross was the series that made transforming the in-thing to bring into 80s Gundam (then almost completely abandon a year later). I suppose Transformation had broadly always been in the show considering that the Gundam was launched in three parts (which was a retro throwback I guess. Hats off to Seed Destiny for actually giving the 'core block' system a practical use eventually. Well, twice anyway.)

Anyone watching the closing episodes of Gundam 00 and feeling a little disappointed? The bench-warming got out of hand with The two-second return and instant death of Ali, and Billy's sudden appearance with the innovators which he instantly betrays. and the final thrust of the plot is basically SEED's Coordinators via UC's Newtype space-evolution with a good measure of Zeta's 'mysterious machine component causes **** to happen and things get vaguely explained in pink'. Oh and there's a big laser in space. No, really. A big laser in space. You haven't seen that before, especially not in a Gundam show.

With the last episode funnelling only into the inevitable Setsuna / Ribbons battle (what an ugly mecha Mr Ribbons), I guess they'll wrap the final half up with a nice epilogue. It's been one of the better shows, but it was tough to get into, and tough to stay with at the end.

And here's the RX-78-7 if you haven't seen it. Trouble is, with so many different interpretations of the original Gundam, there are several that look practically identical to this. They could at least have gone with a different colour scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gundam 00 looks like its wrapping up rather neatly as opposed to leaving dozens of plot thread either dangling and hoping another season can finish them or trying to answer them in 6.2 seconds. Pity they still haven't managed to merge that with meaningful character development.
PS has there been any word on a third season? Heard a few mutterances bout half way through the current season, but nought more.

hopeful_monster said:
PS has there been any word on a third season? Heard a few mutterances bout half way through the current season, but nought more.
I think there was some talk of an OAV sequel as a possibility, but nothing concrete.

And where the hell did that SEED movie get too?

No 3rd series for 00, they're more interested in the aniversary series, maybe an oav

SEED movies been put on hold indefinartly last i heard

Speaking of Seed

i have to say, i think this is the best Gundam song i've heard from all the series i've seen

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kvyBLW34DXg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kvyBLW34DXg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lacus <3

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_2Rnj3S4ib8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_2Rnj3S4ib8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Region 1 Zeta just doesn't have the same charm without it.

Silent Voice wins. But Mizu no Hoshi e Ai wo Komete (Zeta Op.2) does come a close second.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xmn1pp4LUsc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xmn1pp4LUsc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Other than the second ending to ZZ I can't find anything else Jun / Ujino Hiroe has done which is surprising, as she had a fantastic voice.

Yasashii me wo shita dare ka ni... Aaa-iii-ta-iiiiii!

fabricatedlunatic said:
PlayUSA have finally shipped the first Zeta collection, which I ordered about a million years ago. Rejoice!
Hmm. Zeta's 50 episodes long. Coming in at such a length, is it any good?

Zin5ki said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
PlayUSA have finally shipped the first Zeta collection, which I ordered about a million years ago. Rejoice!
It's Gundam. If you like angsty kids fighting (and dying) in giant robots then yeah, it's pretty good. If not best look elsewhere. Zeta is widely regarded as the best of the full length Gundam series, whether this is deserved or not I don't know... I certainly thought it could have done to be shorter - but then that could probably be said of any of the 50+ episode series.

Due mainly to the presence of older Char Zeta has some of the more original plots of any Gundam series, but sadly this is offset by the fact that Kamille Bidan is probably the most hard to like Gundam protaganist ever. If you ask me they should remake all the best ideas (and cut out all the duplicated plots and throwaway characters) from the three almost consecutive UC shows (MSG, Zeta, ZZ) into one 50 ep. UC series to rule them all. Maybe they could call it The Saga of Captain Bright or something...

Zin5ki said:
It's my favourite series of all time. But it IS pretty rubbish. It's a dramatic show that does interesting things with the original series' cast, settings and power struggles that ultimately has a lot of really rather odd moments. The main character (Kamille) is often called "angsty", but that doesn't really do his incessant temper tantrums and irrational behaviour justice. In the first two episodes:
- he assaults a soldier who points out that he has a girls name (if he knew what kind of doujinshi he appears in, he'd probably shining fingah the earth)
- he assaults the soldier who investigates him
- he steals a car, drives through a roadblock and dives out of the car, deciding to go back into the base he just escaped from.
- he casually decides to hijack a gundam.
- he uses the gundam to intimidate the investigative soldier above by trying to stamp on him and kill him with anti-armour machine gun rounds (he even laughs like a pantomime villian at this bit)
- he teams up with a militant anti-government group that just happen to be passing through.

The whole sequence plays out a bit like one of the columbine shooters teaming up with the Taliban halfway through his rampage. It's opportunistic and very, very strange.

And whilst Zeta Gundam is often called 'bleak', the more you think about it, it's just plain unsettling. People getting beaten up every five minutes, it almost goes too far in stressing how crappy the future is.

From a production standpoint, it's a very old series with plenty of low quality and reused animation. The dialogue, especially in the English Dub, tends towards the pointlessly expositionary.

But still I love it. Hell knows why. It's like an early, live version of a favourite song. There are wrong notes being hit everywhere, but it's more genuine than the studio-mixed efforts that come later.

edit: Oh, it's cheap, which is definitely a plus! Unless you're stuck buying the single volumes. Oh well. They have nicer spines :)
ayase said:
Maybe they could call it The Saga of Captain Bright or something...
Or the Hirotaka Suzuoki memorial show :cry:
ayase said:
If you ask me they should remake all the best ideas (and cut out all the duplicated plots and throwaway characters) from the three almost consecutive UC shows (MSG, Zeta, ZZ) into one 50 ep. UC series to rule them all.
But that's basically what Gundam has been doing ever since, just with the names changed and the occasional inversions of the formula. It's kind of ironic how the show basically preaches how humanity should free itself from the earth, yet there has never even been an episode set away from the damned place!

Which brings us back to Jupiter...

Back