The All Purpose Mobile Suit Gundam Thread

kupocake said:
And whilst Zeta Gundam is often called 'bleak', the more you think about it, it's just plain unsettling. People getting beaten up every five minutes, it almost goes too far in stressing how crappy the future is.
I am now contractually obligated to post this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_IUyqenD7kU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_IUyqenD7kU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I never really got the "bleakness" in Zeta. Having heard people talk about how depressing it was beforehand I expected it to be far, far worse than it was. As it turned out it barely hit the first notch on my depressiometre. Needed more kids' heads being vaporised.

ayase said:
As it turned out it barely hit the first notch on my depressiometre. Needed more kids' heads being vaporised.
Happy birthday dear children...
Happy birthday to you.
(Be invoked was ultimately
conceptually harrowing, yet surprisingly, perhaps off-puttingly optimistic in its finale
. Too bad it's as good as buried.)

So Zeta is, in fact, a load of old guff with ropey animation and misplaced nihilism. WELL THANKS FOR NOT TELLING ME EARLIER

But that video is pure awesome. I wouldn't mind 52 episodes of that.

Ah, but the important part is this fabio (sorry, it's a catchy nickname):

kupocake said:
But still I love it. Hell knows why.
This is what everybody who watches Zeta thinks (the ones who are honest with themselves that is, and not loudly proclaiming it to be the BEST THING EVAR with fingers in their ears).

aug01.jpg

I think this guy basically sums up my relationship with Zeta. The appeal is somewhere between campy 80s chic and aloof bad-assery. Char was the incidental vaguely good bit in the original Gundam series (which I've got to say, is actually easily one of my least favourite Gundam series') and bringing him to the top of the cast list was an uncharacteristically good bit of planning.

I watched the first episode last night and had no idea what the hell was going on. I see what you mean about Camille's -- er, Kamille's -- somewhat erratic behaviour. What was he doing at the base in the first place? I don't believe that was touched upon during the episode.

The horrible 80s music offends my ears.

fabricatedlunatic said:
What was he doing at the base in the first place? I don't believe that was touched upon during the episode.
He thwacked Jerid at the space port and was taken into custody. Yeah, it's not a crystal clear piece of programming, but if you missed that you can't have seen anything in the episode.
fabricatedlunatic said:
The horrible 80s music offends my ears.
The music fits the show perfectly though... and the US openings still suck one.

kupocake said:
He thwacked Jerid at the space port and was taken into custody. Yeah, it's not a crystal clear piece of programming, but if you missed that you can't have seen anything in the episode.
Okay. So what was he doing at the space port?

Since I watched the episode at 2am, it's entirely possible that I nodded off for a few minutes and missed something crucial.

kupocake said:
I think this guy basically sums up my relationship with Zeta. The appeal is somewhere between campy 80s chic and aloof bad-assery.
I often wonder how much of my love for 80's anime is simply nostalgia (and for a time I can barely even remember, at that), but it really does seem to have some undefinable characteristic I just really love. Not all 80's anime has by a long way, but Zeta has it (if anything, Double Zeta has more of it). Dirty Pair, Dominion Tank Police, Patlabor and Urusei Yatsura all have it too. Perhaps it's just originality, I don't know... but I'm sure that whatever it is it must go beyond purely camp value.

No matter how larger than life the characters were they seemed easier to take seriously and at the same time more fun to watch. They somehow seem more real to me than a lot of today's characters. Dare I say these shows had enough heart without being brooding, and enough fun without being over the top or random? A little off-topic I know, but it just came to me and I had to get it down in writing. ;)

Sorry to break up the Zeta talk but i wanted to post this while it was still in date :p

Thirty years ago today, an unknown at the time anime started airing, born from the original concept from Yoshiyuki Tomino who had previously worked on some Super Robot Style anime. It was radically different from other Mecha anime airing at the time. The show would run on for 43 weeks before getting cancelled forcing Tomino to abandon the proper story ending he was going to give it. It's also a good thing that the name was changed early on in the shows development otherwise we would be celebrating the 30th birthday of Gunboy now intead of Mobile Suit Gundam :)

So happy birthday Gundam :)

Its quite something to think that its lasted this long, so here's to another 30 years (but hopefully no more Cosmic Era stuff unless your animating the Astray series :p)

Sadly, I'm not really a fan of Gundam. The stories and dialogue is a bit too complex for me to understand and enjoy sadly. I'm more of a Macross fan as the Macross saga is alot more easier to understand and enjoy with a better musical score.

So, basically the 30th Anniversary UC Gundam project isn't actually happening (it's a PS3 game only), and ngeekhiong has his fingers in his ears saying 'lalalalala Gundam Unicorn movie lalalalala' and posts every single faked image or Italian blog report to the same effect?

Gundam 30th Anniversary sucks. :p

kupocake said:
So, basically the 30th Anniversary UC Gundam project isn't actually happening (it's a PS3 game only), and ngeekhiong has his fingers in his ears saying 'lalalalala Gundam Unicorn movie lalalalala' and posts every single faked image or Italian blog report to the same effect?

Gundam 30th Anniversary sucks. :p

Hasn't ANN just posted an article about the Gundam Unicorn adpation being true though?

Annoying about the other UC project though. I'll agree mind this is kinda pathetic for a milestone anniversary.

BlackWolf said:
Hasn't ANN just posted an article about the Gundam Unicorn adpation being true though?
Looks like it. Their source is 2channel, but 2channel's source is the manga itself. This leaves us with only one question: Will there be any actual unicorns?

I have not seen much gundam but I loved wing, something about the characters and the super cool mechs, and the fact it was the first proper mech show Id seen. Im sure the older Gundams are great too, but Im put off by the fact that they are so old now. The new series dont look like they have that special wing magic to me, but then again I aint seen too much of them, but maybe 00 is good.

Also just got the beez boxset of wing Im soo excited to go back now.

Having just seen 00 i can testify that its a good show, better then wing in my opinon. Don't be put off by the old animation on the older stuff, they are still quite good :)

Looks like the new Gundam Unicorn is getting a world wide release this winter, is anyone else getting the feeling that it could be an online only deal like Stargazer?

vashdaman said:
Im sure the older Gundams are great too, but Im put off by the fact that they are so old now.
Wing is slap bang in the middle of Gundam's history, so if you can stomach its dated animation, you could easily go the extra half-mile and watch everything before it.
vashdaman said:
The new series dont look like they have that special wing magic to me
They're all as homoerotic as each other, but no, no other series ever quite said 'You know, East 17 would be great anime protagonists!' again

What do you mean that wasn't the appeal?

Back