Summer 2015 Legal Anime Streaming Thread

I had a moment of weakness and went to Animax earlier only to see that there was nothing new to watch without paying so I left again. It's a shame that they exist.

That's definitely true about Crunchyroll's funding system, and while it's silly that the biggest users pay individual studios the least (in theory), it's the only fair way to do it - the points-based system on Wakanim wasn't particularly loved. I wonder whether there's a point where it's actually 'better' (from the studios' perspective) to have free users with ads and potentially limitless contributions?

If the companies want to try to get me to watch nothing but their titles by filling the site with them and making them so life-consumingly addictive I don't have time to watch something else, that works for me.

R

Rui said:
I had a moment of weakness and went to Animax earlier only to see that there was nothing new to watch without paying so I left again. It's a shame that they exist.

That's definitely true about Crunchyroll's funding system, and while it's silly that the biggest users pay individual studios the least (in theory), it's the only fair way to do it - the points-based system on Wakanim wasn't particularly loved. I wonder whether there's a point where it's actually 'better' (from the studios' perspective) to have free users with ads and potentially limitless contributions?

If the companies want to try to get me to watch nothing but their titles by filling the site with them and making them so life-consumingly addictive I don't have time to watch something else, that works for me.

R

Good to know I'm not going crazy. I assume that the theory is the more content you watch, the more likely to you are to watch more than one episode of something, therefore eventually the lower fee won't matter and they'll make the same/more money. I doubt that works in practice though.

So I decided to give the Oh Dear app a chance I got a months subscription and decided to try watching Overlord,no sooner i start watching the first episode do I realise what a stupid decision this was.The Apple TV compatibility is piss poor only working when I mirror it but even this looks incredibly low res.so nuts to it I cancelled the subscription and this will be the last time I try Oh Dear.Thank god we've got Viewster

Type45 said:
So I decided to give the Oh Dear app a chance I got a months subscription and decided to try watching Overlord,no sooner i start watching the first episode do I realise what a stupid decision this was.The Apple TV compatibility is piss poor only working when I mirror it but even this looks incredibly low res.so nuts to it I cancelled the subscription and this will be the last time I try Oh Dear.Thank god we've got Viewster

I find it hilarious you're also calling it Oh Dear hahaha.

But at least you managed to cancel the subscription, an unlucky fellow on UKAN wasn't able to until he had to contact them dozens of times.

Rui said:
I wonder whether there's a point where it's actually 'better' (from the studios' perspective) to have free users with ads and potentially limitless contributions?

I seem to remember TheAncientOne worked it out at some point and it was some absurd amount of episodes you would need to watch that was basically not humanly possible unless you either watch multiple anime at once or devote every waking minute of your life to watching anime on CR.

Having looked it up, apparently YouTube pays about $2.50 per 1000 views for most people. Either Crunchyroll are paying a heck of a lot more than YouTube or content providers are making no money whatsoever (from free viewers).

I imagine Crunchyroll has a much higher subscribers to free users ratio than most other platforms. As of January this year, apparently 25% of Spotify subscribers are paying. I'd be very surprised if Crunchyroll's isn't much much higher (although the only figure I can find is 450,000 as of Nov 2014).

Looks like the finale for Blood Blockade Battlefront will finish on October 3rd with a runtime of 46 minutes.

Source: ANN

Also considering the Summer season is nearly over, all new catalogue additions will be noted in the Autumn thread starting 21st September. :thumb:

Is it me or has GATE: Thus the JSDF Thought There switched timselots? I could have sworn it was being simulcast around 8pm on Fridays, but it's now shown as 11am on Saturday.

Buzz201 said:
Is it me or has GATE: Thus the JSDF Thought There switched timselots? I could have sworn it was being simulcast around 8pm on Fridays, but it's now shown as 11am on Saturday.

Presumably due to production issues over the past 2 weeks. The show is also getting a split cour release instead of going straight into the fall season, which surprised many since this wasn't suggested until quite recently. I guess they needed more time for their episodes due to what happened so they went split cour to add more quality to the episodes.

NormanicGrav said:
Buzz201 said:

Presumably due to production issues over the past 2 weeks. The show is also getting a split cour release instead of going straight into the fall season, which surprised many since this wasn't suggested until quite recently. I guess they needed more time for their episodes due to what happened so they went split cour to add more quality to the episodes.

Blood Blockade Battlefront waits 3 months for a new timeslot, GATE gets one because it feels like it. Get your **** together Tokyo MX.

I was planning to marathon it, because it came across as massively slow to me, and I quit after 4 episodes. I was thinking it would probably work better if there wasn't a weeks wait between episodes.

I believe Sentai confirmed GATE would be 24 episodes. They also confirmed Ushio and Tora would have two split seasons of 26 and 13 episodes respectively at the same conference, which is why everyone was expecting GATE to run straight.

kuuderes_shadow said:
GATE was announced as 24 eps right from the start

Split cours was only confirmed today (?) though.

Judging from NormanicGrav's tweets, it seems this week's status as a finale was reported earlier in the week, but the second cour was only formally confirmed today.

NormanicGrav said:
NormanicGrav said:
AWAITING REGION SPECS (CATALOG)

Symphogear (Senki Zesshou Symphogear: Meteoroid-Falling, Burning, and Disappear, Then...)
Japanese w/English subtitles
Crunchyroll

Symphogear G (Senki Zesshou Symphogear G: In the Distance, That Day, When the Star Became Music...)
Crunchyroll

Confirmed at Otakuthon 2015 that these two will be coming to Crunchyroll, regions were not announced but it's possible that the result will be the same as GX. Note that Funimation have streaming rights for Season 1.

NEW ADDITION (UPDATE): CATALOG

Symphogear (Senki Zesshou Symphogear: Meteoroid-Falling, Burning, and Disappear, Then...)
Crunchyroll
All 13 episodes are available

NEW ADDITION (UPDATE): CATALOG

Symphogear G (Senki Zesshou Symphogear G: In the Distance, That Day, When the Star Became Music...)
Crunchyroll
All 13 episodes are available

Back