Summer 2015 Legal Anime Streaming Thread

I can't imagine there are many left, but you've got to feel sorry for the people actually paying for Animax's subscription when they're being given a service like that.

Right, regarding the recent Animax issue, I've spoken to Andy Hanley (of UK Anime Network) since I figured it would be nice to get his attention on this for an article. At the same time he noticed the issue and has contacted Animax (since he apparently had an email saying more episodes would be appearing this week). Apparently the episode removals were accidental and should be back up soon.

Usually how Animax works is that they have 2 versions of the videos - Subscribers only and Simulcasts. They removed the simulcasts but didn't bring up the Subscribers only videos.

UPDATE: Apparently "the episodes have been taken down for subtitle editing and will be restored shortly"

You can read the entire fun discussion here.

It seems they haven't even got the problem right, they should have been made available as free simulcasts this week. It looks like the problem is Animax set them up to expire after a week, when they should switch to being free simulcasts, but Animax forgot to set the free simulcasts up, so they just expired.

Also, wouldn't you just produce an edited version then quickly pull the old version and upload the new one, rather than pulling the entire file down for hours?

Buzz201 said:
It seems they haven't even got the problem right, they should have been made available as free simulcasts this week. It looks like the problem is Animax set them up to expire after a week, when they should switch to being free simulcasts, but Animax forgot to set the free simulcasts up, so they just expired.
Animax's model was for the free simulcast to be up for only a small period of time before having only the subscriber version - the opposite of Crunchyroll.

It seems Animax's incompetence is spreading. All of Crunchyroll manga has been down all day, for what is apparently "scheduled maintenance". You know, the kind that they don't tell people about, and happens hours after the most recent episodes of some of their biggest titles went, or were supposed to go, live. That kind...

reborn said:
Buzz201 said:
Animax's model was for the free simulcast to be up for only a small period of time before having only the subscriber version - the opposite of Crunchyroll.
Weird, their site seemed to suggest it was he other way round, and all of the videos were locked all of last week.

Not that I care, as I said I'll just watch from FUNi's site.

Buzz201 said:
It seems Animax's incompetence is spreading. All of Crunchyroll manga has been down all day, for what is apparently "scheduled maintenance". You know, the kind that they don't tell people about, and happens hours after the most recent episodes of some of their biggest titles went, or were supposed to go, live. That kind...
Yeah. The chapters were reportedly on the illisit sites though. So yeah, GG CR.

Are we saying Crunchyroll's problems have led to them being usurped, or that Crunchyroll leaked the chapters?

Because once or twice, I've seen things pop up on the unofficial RSS feed, then disappear, then be added again at a later date. No idea what went on, but I'm assuming something went live before it was supposed to.

The manga is up free for a week (and I think AoT and Arslan stay up for longer because they're published monthly), you don't have to pay for it...

I pay for it normaly (along side the video but that's largely academic since they merged it into one) and wednesday is my big comic reading blowout day so I sort of expect CR to funtion worth a darmn on go day.
So yeah, table.

NEW ADDITION: OH DEAR (CATALOG):

009 Re:Cyborg
Animax UK
Film

Giovanni's Island
Animax UK
Film

Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning
Animax UK
Film

Tiger & Bunny: The Rising
Animax UK
Film

Animax are releasing an iOS & Android app and Anime Limited will be adding more movies to their catalogue.

Jesus christ, I guess they really are trying to come back from the dead after all.

AL better not ditch Viewster in favour of Animax for simulcasts. In less than the time it's taken Animax to get their **** together and reupload the first three episodes of Rampo Kitan (which are all scheduled to expire after 6 days), I'm already on Episode 08...

Rampo Kitan came from FUNimation, so there's no excuse not to have episode 1-9 up already (and really seeing as 10 aired yesterday, that should be up as well).

Buzz201 said:
Jesus christ, I guess they really are trying to come back from the dead after all. AL better not ditch Viewster in favour of Animax for simulcasts...

I think the way it works is that Viewster handles the TV shows that Anime Limited picks up while Animax has the films.

NormanicGrav said:
I think the way it works is that Viewster handles the TV shows that Anime Limited picks up while Animax has the films.

Didn't Gundam Rec G start off as an Animax simulcast, then Viewster picked up simulcast rights as well or something weird like that?

Either way, there's no excuse for Animax to be as behind as they are with Overlord and Rampo Kitan. Even if the simulcasts started late, Rampo Kitan came from FUNimation, so they're probably just re-encoding and uploading. Also, there are genuine delaycasts that are closer to the original air date than Animax are with Rampo Kitan. It's not that difficult...

Buzz201 said:
NormanicGrav said:

Didn't Gundam Rec G start off as an Animax simulcast, then Viewster picked up simulcast rights as well or something weird like that?

Either way, there's no excuse for Animax to be as behind as they are with Overlord and Rampo Kitan. Even if the simulcasts started late, Rampo Kitan came from FUNimation, so they're probably just re-encoding and uploading. It's not that difficult...

I think that was the case. Terror in Resonance and both seasons of Tokyo Ghoul were also added on Animax then they got removed. Durarara!! is still on there.

I wish Funimation would just partner with Anime Limited so that every time Anime Limited has access to their titles they can add them on Viewster for streaming purposes while at the same time they could pick a few for home video rights.

UPDATE: Anime Limited shows will still be on Viewster:

I think the important question here is will your simulcasts each new season be on @viewster still?

All the Anime ‏We certainly will be. This changes nothing! They're still our pals :) ^JG

I suppose now we have to hope they also let Viewster have their non-simulcast titles, because the word of that tweet doesn't just say films it says "titles".

NormanicGrav said:
I wish Funimation would just partner with Anime Limited so that every time Anime Limited has access to their titles they can add them on Viewster for streaming purposes while at the same time they could pick a few for home video rights.

From what I've heard FUNimation won't deal with direct competitors (except in special circumstances), so it's possible we may never see a title FUNi has UK rights for on Viewster again...

Back