Sony looking to launch their Animax anime channel in the UK

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
TV media website C21Media.net have posted an interesting statement from Sony Pictures, claiming they intend to expand their Animax anime digital TV channel across Europe - and that includes in the UK, where Sony are apparently in "advanced discussions" to launch.
  • "Sony Pictures Television International (SPTI) is in advanced discussions for the launch of its Animax anime channel brand in the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain and France following a roll-out in central Europe."

"The company said it would be making further announcements regarding expansion plans for Animax over the next few weeks. The anime channel is already firmly established in Asia and Latin America, where it is one of SPTI's most successful channels, airing 24 hours a day in 36 million homes in 38 countries and in 11 languages."

"The European roll-out is kicking off in central Europe with the A+ overhaul, where the Animax brand has already been teased to viewers. A+ has four million subscribers and airs between 20.00 and 02.00 each day. SPTI is due to revise this later in the year with additional programming and time slots."
In other countries, Animax has been a home to such anime as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Cowboy Bebop, InuYasha and Full Metal Alchemist. Thanks to Matthew for reporting this news.

Pretty exciting news, this. I just really it comes through and this isn't just an attempt to build up some PR steam. Given Animax has the financial backing of such a large corporation, I can really see this working in the UK if Sony commit to it in the long term. Imagine if we were getting premieres of movies like Paprika? How awesome that would be.

Oh god, If they actually brought this out as a channel i think i would renew my subscription to sky. I wonder what else they would show as they literally have all the shows to pick from.

They could do it so right if they listen to what people want and dont go overboard.

This is great news!

I wonder though if they will start it as it's own channel or as a block on a different channel.

this sound slike great news.
the Animax channel is great, i used to watch it all the time back in India (south India) all the time, and it was great, it was just 24-7 Anime!
well it sounds great.....but for some reason i feel that i have heard about Animax trying to move into europe before.....
and i also have a bad feeling that it may not happen...

*starry eyes* I think i'm gonna be in heven...*faints at good news*

seriously though, this will boost the popularity of anime in the UK for definate.

*crosses fingers and hopes they go for sky*

Another massive piece of news here. Things just seem to be getting better and better.

If this goes ahead this is going to be really special, I've been looking around and found some quite awesome information about Animax as well; such as this:

Wikipedia said:
Animax have also produced and aired uncensored English versions and dubs of anime series, among the most notable of them being their dub of Cardcaptor Sakura, which was shown uncensored and retained all of the original names, plot details and dialogue, and numerous others

I'm pretty sure this would be a rather ground-breaking thing if it actually happened. Just think of it, with all the companies behind Animax..
Wikipedia said:
its shareholders include Sony Pictures Entertainment, Sunrise Inc., Toei Animation Inc., TMS Entertainment Inc., and Nihon Ad Systems Inc
.. You never know where we might be seeing ads for this channel popping up.

Wikipedia said:
For broadcast across its English-language networks, Animax have also broadcast English dubs produced by other enterprises, such as Bandai Entertainment, The Ocean Group, Bang Zoom, Geneon Entertainment, VIZ Media, Central Park Media
Then you have this bit of information.
From that list of companies, we have a lot of anime, and I'm pretty sure I saw some news a few months back about Bleach and that Viz had got the license for it in Europe or something... it could pop up on here : D

You never know.. we might get anime shown on our tvs within a few months of their Japanese releases, or maybe even at the same time.. (thinking of Afro Samurai etc).

I'd say this is the biggest news, anime-wise, of 2007, that has an impact on the UK, so yay, and of course, if this channel launches, the European anime market will just grow and grow : D

Just relised something here if this channel launches in the kids section of the Sky EPG it could mean no Bleach, Blood+, FMA or any adult/teen orientated anime or at least with heavy editing.

OFCOM rules could screw this channel unless it launches in the general entertainment section.

J_C_X said:
Just relised something here if this channel launches in the kids section of the Sky EPG it could mean no Bleach, Blood+, FMA or any adult/teen orientated anime or at least with heavy editing.

OFCOM rules could screw this channel unless it launches in the general entertainment section.

I think the whole idea of the channel is that it is showing proper anime.

J_C_X said:

SHHHH!!! Don't tempt fate! :lol: And this is excellent news.. but i very much doubt i'll get to see it, as i only have a quarter of skys channels on my sky box because we cant afford the entire package... :cry: BUt we'll see what happerns in the next few weeks to come..

Sony is doing awesome at the moment, PS3, this channel, hopefully they'll bring out a OS soon to get rid of microsoft once and for all.

If this happens it could open more and more audiences to the world of anime and can only bode well for the industry.
Considering the market is only going from strength to strength it does seem very likely this will be more than just a pipedream.

Back