So, what's for lunch?

I’ve been trying to eat healthy this year in hopes to loose some weight, 17lbs lost so far this year. I’ve found that I actually enjoy cooking food from scratch, I used to just bung stuff in the oven due to well, laziness.

3D0984E5-042E-4CA0-B751-FBB309D42946.jpg

So I made this Katsu Curry, the sauce was a bit thick and too spicy for a Katsu Curry, but lessons learned for next time. :)

I’ve been trying to eat healthy this year in hopes to loose some weight, 17lbs lost so far this year. I’ve found that I actually enjoy cooking food from scratch, I used to just bung stuff in the oven due to well, laziness.

3D0984E5-042E-4CA0-B751-FBB309D42946.jpg

So I made this Katsu Curry, the sauce was a bit thick and too spicy for a Katsu Curry, but lessons learned for next time. :)

Looks lovely! I'm in much the same position in terms of just using the oven, I could do with learning how to cook properly at some point.

Looks lovely! I'm in much the same position in terms of just using the oven, I could do with learning how to cook properly at some point.
Thanks lemon! I’ve considered going to a class but my make shift attempts seem to be working at the moment. It’s just a matter of spending time for me, when the instructions say it’s gonna take 30mins I normally take an hour as I’m looking up YouTube videos of how to cut an onion! Shameful for a 32 year old. :oops:

I’ve found the most rewarding part is when you try a recipe more than once and make changes which suit your taste better. I’ve been making soup for lunch the last month and I’ve perfected a tomato and red pepper soup.

Thanks lemon! I’ve considered going to a class but my make shift attempts seem to be working at the moment. It’s just a matter of spending time for me, when the instructions say it’s gonna take 30mins I normally take an hour as I’m looking up YouTube videos of how to cut an onion! Shameful for a 32 year old. :oops:

I’ve found the most rewarding part is when you try a recipe more than once and make changes which suit your taste better. I’ve been making soup for lunch the last month and I’ve perfected a tomato and red pepper soup.

Do you know what? When I moved in with my partner (now ex) a couple of years back, I had no choice but to throw myself into cooking. I still live at home (by circumstance, not by choice), and by virtue of my Mum staying at home, I get my tea made for me most days. I've ZERO experience in cooking beyond the odd thing my Mum has shown me, but the things I used to do were just really simple things to knock together - pastas, curries, things like that. I was really nervous at first, and my partner would show me how he did stuff, so I would watch what he did, but before long, I was making his tea while he was at the gym!

I think cooking is really all about trail and error, and you can always find recipies in books or online, plus you can modify them as you want! I must have done something right because I'm still here and I'm typing this message! 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in a single parent family from aged 10, so sometimes didn't have a choice. Then I went to Uni and definitely didn't have a choice. Well I did, buy take away and spend all my money for textbooks CDs and nights out or buy cheap ingredients and cook for myself 😜
I find cooking pretty easy, especially for the stews I make. Chop ingredients, put in pot (in right order), wait till cooked. I'm not going to win Masterchef, but I could probably do most stuff following a recipe, if needs be.

One thing I'd love to try with @Neil.T some day is some simple one-pot cooking. Just dumping a bunch of veg and meat (or even fish, which I prefer anyway) into a crock pot, and then making some kind of stock or sauce (I'm not a fan of gravy so that's where some modification would come in). But I really like the thought of using left overs too, especially veg when it's on the turn - there's something satisfying about using up things to save waste 🙂

Even just dumping leftovers into a pan to just cook off a bit more before putting it into a pastry. Someone did that with some Christmas dinner leftovers - bunged it all into a pan, heated it, added a few bits to jazz it up, and he had instant bubble and squeak - it looked really good! I think it was Nigel Slater 🤔

Back