Simulwatch Planning Thread - Suggest & Discuss

a bit of history research (like what I did with The Wind Rises, if you remember)
I do, and it was a very interesting post. I actually have it bookmarked, being such a fan of the film.

I'm unfortunately unlikely to have the spare time to watch any of the films bar Barefoot Gen and its sequel, but I know the others well enough to be able to take part in any discussion. The exception is In This Corner of the World, which I've seen only once and wasn't a fan of.

I'd like to get the chance to watch Momotaro again, but... we'll see.

I love the idea of this simulwatch, though. Great stuff.

as this is fairly short
I was going off the length I saw on MAL, problem was, I was looking at the wrong one! This is an earlier Momotaro propaganda anime:
Another one that can be found on YouTube. It's 36 minutes compared to the film at 74 minutes.

I've not managed to commit 100% but I've really enjoyed the discussion of the ongoing but nearly finished Pacific War simulwatch. Unsure if they've been done before, but how about a Ghibli (or Miyazaki) simulwatch? The Wind Rises provoked a lot of discussion. I'm also planning on watching Patlabor / the works of Mamoru Oshii and the original Mobile Suit Gundam in the coming months if anyone else would be interested in those.

Patlabor was mentioned as a possibility before, I think, although there is a lot of it, so I’m not sure what the best way to tackle it might be. I’d be up for that anyway, I have a lot of time for it.

Yeah in general a series is a lot easier to keep up with as it's only 20mins a day.

With regards to Ghibli, personally I'm less interested. I'd only watch a small handful of them rather than be involved for the whole thing.

Perhaps it's a moot point as I've just gone on holiday so wont really be able to watch anything for a couple of weeks now in any case.

Fair. I’m open to suggestions on other things as well, it seems a while since we did a simulwatch.

I’d still be keen for Patlabor or You’re Under Arrest personally, but I know accessibility,at be an issue for those.

As it’s due to start streaming on HIDIVE at the end of this month, would anyone be interested in watching Moribito?

As we discussed somewhat in the discord, I'm game to watch Moribito in a simulwatch. It's an interesting historical fantasy(which deserved all the books to be releaed here not just 2) but i found it great. So I'd be game for it

Think I'll probably start on the Patlabor tv series tonight. If anyone's interested in joining, I'll put a thread up, but if not, I'll be posting in the viewing journal anyway.

Think I'll probably start on the Patlabor tv series tonight. If anyone's interested in joining, I'll put a thread up, but if not, I'll be posting in the viewing journal anyway.
My plan for Patlabor is to rewatch it all when I eventually get back around alphabetically (I’m currently still on the M section of my backlog) but I’m interested to hear your thoughts on the franchise.

I havent got the series but I'll keep up with anything you say about it. I've seen the OVAs and enjoyed them (thought the first set of OVAs was better)

I’d still be keen for Patlabor or You’re Under Arrest personally, but I know accessibility,at be an issue for those.
I know I haven't been around much and sadly didn't have the time for simulwatches recently, but would still really like to do YUA with you guys some time, the OVAs are only four half-hour episodes and personally I feel like the English language release has been OOP for so long no-one should feel guilty about watching them whatever way they can and besides, perhaps it would re-ignite a bit of interest in the series, it's not one I really hear anyone talk about any more.

Nice to see you starting Patlabor anyway Prof, kinda wish I could follow along with that as well now, but sadly I'm several hundred miles away from my Blu-rays (and my old DVDs which I'm meant to be sending to @Vashdaman at some point - You will get them eventually, man, I promise).

Double posting because I've discovered that if you take a little trip to the USA using HiDive, both Patlabor on TV and You're Under Arrest are available. The YUA OVAs are counted as the first four episodes of the TV series.

So it's been ages since we had a simulwatch so figured I'd start it up again and see what people might be keen to watch together. For me the shows I'd be keen for are:

Wolf's Rain (UE arrived today)
Noein
From the New World
Texhnolyze
Pani Poni Dash
Haven't You Heard I'm Sakamoto

Threw in a couple of comedies as we never really watch those together and figured I'd see what people thought.

Anyway let me know what you think and make any suggestions if you have them.

@WMD:

Gah, unfortunately I don't actually own any of those, so I'm out. As ever, I'd read the thread for any of those, though.
If there's something youd like to watch then put it forward. My list isnt meant to be absolute. And we can have two at once or make a list and order a few shows one after another.

Also I didn't put any films up but I really enjoyed breaking up a show with films last time so would probably want to do the same again if others are up for it.

I know it can be hard to get but I do think everyone should give From the New World a go. It's so different and interesting. Also I dont think Pani poni Dash had a uk release. I have the R1 DVDs. But it's a wonderful absurdist character comedy!

Back