Satoshi Kon has passed away

Cant believe this..............man, RIP Satoshi Kon, one of the greatest anime directors of recent times.................your work will live on!

No famous person's death has affected me as much as this humble man's. I've only been a fan of his work for the past two years, but he was a fantastic creator and his work was inspired. May your rest in peace Mr. Kon and thanks dreaming big.

sic vita est said:
Mohawk52 said:
I was going to buy Perfect Blue, but just discovered it's out of print, only used ones for sale. :(
A reissue of this, especially given the current circumstances, would be nice to see. Sadly it may make little business sense.
Manga still hold the licence for Perfect Blue, how much extra would it cost to print off a 100 more when I can still buy all Kon's other titles today? I'd do it just as a tribute to the man, more than just to make a quick quid especially as now his works will be that much more valuable.

I'd like to think financial considerations wouldn't come into it, although I'd forgotten there'd be fewer or no BBFC fees.

Emailed Manga UK about this earlier, as I'm quite keen to buy a non-second-hand copy as well (have had to make do with rental via Lovefilm so far), not least because my money's going to his widow and estate as opposed to a previous owner of the DVD.

sic vita est said:
I'd like to think financial considerations wouldn't come into it, although I'd forgotten there'd be fewer or no BBFC fees.

Emailed Manga UK about this earlier, as I'm quite keen to buy a non-second-hand copy as well (have had to make do with rental via Lovefilm so far), not least because my money's going to his widow and estate as opposed to a previous owner of the DVD.
Yeah that's why I want a fresh one as well. I hope Jerome sees that the reason is well worth it.

Nice to see some people changing their avatars to something Kon-related. A small gesture but something to show our appreciation =) Or it could be coincidental, but I don't think so

fabricatedlunatic said:
Satoshi Kon's final message, fully translated

Absolutely heartbreaking, yet inspirational in how dignified and graceful he was in confronting his own mortality.

I second that.

Shame about the images and widgets surrounding the main body as it undermines the beauty and dignity of his final words.

Still, I read it with great emotion (tears in my eyes), it made me feel so inadequate and I regret anything negative I said about the chap because he's a much better person than I am...

When I heard he died I immediately thought back to Sci-Fi channel's premiere of Perfect Blue and how electrified I was, just glad to be watching and recording it (I still have it on VHS).

It was a feeling that waxed and waned with various projects but I liked all of the work I saw and own a fair bit. His work was always a must-watch and not many creators can claim that. His work was talked about with respect in Japanese class amongst friends, in my home amongst family and online amongst strangers.

When it comes down to it, Satoshi was one thing that is increasingly rare in this day and age, original and deep. I took it for granted that he would be around forever and I could criticise and praise at my leisure as if my criticism was worth anything...

We have lost a dreamer.

The full translation is very good, glad to see that someone did it "properly" even if unofficially.

Also very pleased to read about the obituary in the Guardian, did anyone see the news being reported in any other form in the UK?

Genkina Hito said:
When I heard he died I immediately thought back to Sci-Fi channel's premiere of Perfect Blue and how electrified I was, just glad to be watching and recording it (I still have it on VHS).

I felt exactly the same. It was the first anime I saw on sale I think, or at least the only one I remember seeing on shelves in tesco of all places as a kid. I wasn't into anime at the time so I never watched it, but once I got into anime around '05 and joined lovefilm about a year back it was one of the first on my list, simply out of curiosity.

When I saw it I was truly blown away, like no other film has made me feel before or since the whole multiple dream awakening/ studio reality blurs would've felt cheap if used inexpertly, but Kon made it add masterfully to the film and the underlying question of what's real and what's not and how mima's sanity as gradually slipping away the scene where she comes home to her fish and has a complete break down is one of the most powerful I've ever seen in cinema anime or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, that just hit like a ton of bricks. I remember just a few short years ago saying how Satoshi Kon was one of my top 3 men in Anime today (With Myazaki and Yoshitisho ABe) and that his work on Paranoia Agent has immensely influenced (by tone mostly) a book I have been writing. Hell, some years back I even argued in a silly conversation that he'd be one of the only directors able to even contemplate doing a version of Tolkien's Silmarillion :wink:

Though I prefer some of his other work now, I still remember that night back in about 2000, watching the Saturday midnight Anime block on the Sci Fi Channel when Perfect Blue came on. For someone who had only really watched a few old 80s films (Fist of the north star, Vampire Hunter D) and some of the 'kiddies' Anime series (Digimon, Flint the time detective, etc) it was a revelation at how much deeper and involved it was. 16 years old, past midnight, it certainly made me shiver, and that at least was a sign that this man really knew what he was doing.

Well, he's gone, leaving us with several of my fave Anime films (Paprika and Millennium Actress specifically) and one of my top 3 series. For such a tragically short amount of work, he has made a massive impression on the Anime world, and for that he should be well remembered.

Sleep well.

Well It seems Perfect Blue will be a used purchase, or rental only as Manga say on their blog they lost the licence back in 2008 and it won't be worth them renewing it. "sad but that's the nature of the business".
Yeah, I guess. :cry:

Back