Satoshi Kon has passed away

As soon as I came out of the Tunnel on the Eurostar last night, I had 3G again, so I thought I'd check out the news and **** if I expected something so... unexpected. Felt similar to I did when MJ died. I still have a lot of his stuff to watch though, so I'll be keeping him alive for a little bit longer. RIP.

I'm devastated. He's my favourite Director.

Recently I'd been thinking 'Man! When's Kon's next movie coming out damnit???'

I had no idea he was ill.

This is just too awful.

The bloody cancer. It wouldn't annoy me so much if it wasn't such a stupid disease. If your existence depends on the existence of another, what good is killing them going to do? You die as well, cancer. You idiot.

/trying to reason with a disease (have I really gone this insane?)

A bright star has sadly died from universe of anime and it is all the more wanting for it. Rest in peace Kon-kun, You have left a mark on anime that few fans will ever forget in time. God's speed. :cry:

So he had Pancreatic Cancer? From what ANN said, it was last week or so when he was told he had half a year. As wrong as this sounds, I'm glad he died quickly and suddenly.

My Great-Aunt died last year of Pancreatic Cancer. She was diagnosed Mid-2008 and was told she wouldn't live to see Christmas 2008, but it was June 2009 when she finally died - after months of waking up every day thinking "Is this it?".

From someone who has had a loved one die slowly, and another die suddenly in the same year - It's better for the deceased that they died quickly, however, it's harder for those around them. So, shouldn't we be giving our sympathies to his wife, and those around him?

Reading the blog posts on ANN is really depressing.

Ryu Shoji said:
So he had Pancreatic Cancer? From what ANN said, it was last week or so when he was told he had half a year. As wrong as this sounds, I'm glad he died quickly and suddenly.
I was thinking about that as well. It must have happened quickly for it not to have been made public. And it's a shame, really, as he never got to see just how much his work meant to so many people.

Man, my internet goes down, come back online and find this news. Really tragic. It's a serious loss for the whole animation industry, but my thoughts are with his family. Rest in peace.

Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent were among my most favoured anime watches. He was an auteur to celebrate.

The anime world and the creative world has just lost a dreamer. Thank you for the entertainment.

R.I.P.

Hmm, I kind of wish that guy would have waited for someone to do a "professional" translation, as I'm sure someone would have done or will do. It's not that he's massively out, but translating something like that with even small errors feels like a bit of a hasty thing to do, although I appreciate where he is coming from in trying to do it.

Oh my. Not what I was expecting when I checked back in after a couple of days away. It seems strange to have a sense of loss for someone I've never known in a personal sense. Such is the power of film, I guess.

Think I'll be going through the films of his (and Paranoia Agent) I've bought but not watched yet over this coming weekend. A quiet tribute.

I suspect watching the end of Millennium Actress is going to be almost unbearable for me now.

Mohawk52 said:
I was going to buy Perfect Blue, but just discovered it's out of print, only used ones for sale. :(
A reissue of this, especially given the current circumstances, would be nice to see. Sadly it may make little business sense.

sic vita est said:
I suspect watching the end of Millennium Actress is going to be almost unbearable for me now.

Strangely enough it was the last of Kon's films I saw, recently too. When I heard about his death the final scene's sentiments were pretty much the first thing that came to mind.

I made a slightly illogical, academic observation on another forum, but I think it gets bluntly to the reason why this is horrible. If animation lost Miyazaki at 46, he would have been in production of My Neighbour Totoro. No Kiki, Porco, Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl, Ponyo... I can't help but voice the opinion that the best was yet to come from Satoshi Kon, and that we've just been deprived of something spectacular.

Or just be grateful for what we got, because he had a pretty damned good track record.

Back