Overseas Rightstuf Xmas Sale 2017 | Celebrate the Bargains by getting hit by Customs!

Is it always the same charge or is it dependent on the price of the items?
The customs fee is 20% of the value of the items+shipping (basically, paying the VAT that you didn't pay due to ordering from outside the UK) plus a handling fee from the carrier for doing the customs paperwork on your behalf (£8 for Royal Mail, £11 (I think) for Parcel Force).

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the £8 handling fee is the same but the charge itself varies based on the total worth of the package. Royal Mail charge 20% on said total worth of the package.

its 20% of the items value + shipping if its value is over £15. Then for handling the paperwork for you its the courier's flat rate fee which in royal mail's case is £8

So in example if you have a package worth £80 and the shipping was £20 that would be £100 total value which means £20 VAT to pay + handling fee

its 20% of the items value + shipping if its value is over £15. Then for handling the paperwork for you its the courier's flat rate fee which in royal mail's case is £8

So in example if you have a package worth £80 and the shipping was £20 that would be £100 total value which means £20 VAT to pay + handling fee
Thought so, my description wasn't the best.

I should move to the UK as the handling fee certainly is lower than what we have in Belgium :), below 150€ handling fee is 15€ (about £13) and above 150€ it doubles to 30€ (about £26)

I should move to the UK as the handling fee certainly is lower than what we have in Belgium :), below 150€ handling fee is 15€ (about £13) and above 150€ it doubles to 30€ (about £26)

Handling fee in UK depends on courier, and goes up to £15.

I'd say you'd probably have a higher threshold for VAT than the UK as we pay 20% of the total package value if the goods are valued above £15.

If the goods are valued above £135 you have to pay Duty on top.

22€ (about 19£) is the limit here in Belgium, so yes we have a bit higher limit than in the UK, so i guess i can stay in Belgium after all :D

Like everyone else my RS black Friday items have been hit by customs, just waiting on the card. Not much point them using Swiss post if it doesn't go via Switzerland.

My previous two orders, 2016 and 2015 Xmas, both missed customs but it sounds like it's a pretty much guaranteed hit from them now. Guess I'll skip a possible Xmas order this year :|

Like everyone else my RS black Friday items have been hit by customs, just waiting on the card. Not much point them using Swiss post if it doesn't go via Switzerland.

My previous two orders, 2016 and 2015 Xmas, both missed customs but it sounds like it's a pretty much guaranteed hit from them now. Guess I'll skip a possible Xmas order this year :|
Mine missed customs, but I only had Freedom in it which was below the LCG threshold for VAT.

My Freedom should be delivered today, it was shipped from Swiss Post Chicago directly to Brussels.

So yeah i guess Xmas sales will be a sure customs hit for me. But for the past two years this was already the case for me, so this will not hold me back. Just hope it goes better this year than last year, where the second order first got lost and took a while for TRSI to send out a replacement.

I think it's telling that almost everybody who didn't have it went and bought Freedom. It's telling because it shows just had bad these modern Right Stuf sales are wherein one of the few items to truly get a proper sale everyone bought and for most only that and nothing else.

I've not bought anything from a Right Stuf sale in 2 years now and this year I haven't even bothered to look beyond that first day because I knew nothing was going to be truly worth it if you are outside the US.

I think it's telling that almost everybody who didn't have it went and bought Freedom. It's telling because it shows just had bad these modern Right Stuf sales are wherein one of the few items to truly get a proper sale everyone bought and for most only that and nothing else.

I've not bought anything from a Right Stuf sale in 2 years now and this year I haven't even bothered to look beyond that first day because I knew nothing was going to be truly worth it if you are outside the US.

Think is if you can get items without import fees from deep discount is it worth bothering with Right Stuff anymore? Any savings are wiped out by shipping and import taxes.

Think is if you can get items without import fees from deep discount is it worth bothering with Right Stuff anymore? Any savings are wiped out by shipping and import taxes.

Its because the Right Stuf Sales are barely sales anymore. A holiday sale should include a select few items at huge savings imo. Instead it's 5%-20% off across alot of items and that just isn't worth it most of the time. I also have never liked how Right Stuf will claim something is a certain percentage off in a sale but it's not against the normal price Right Stuf sell it for but instead against the RRP. For example an item may be 40% of the RRP but only 20% off the usual Right Stuf price. I think it's very misleading.

Hell Amazon were selling the Gundam Wing UE, including shipping and UK VAT for less than what Rightstuf were looking for ex VAT and shipping.

Thats pretty bad seeing as it is a Rightstuf/Nozomi product.

Meet the reason AoA don't allow other retailers to sell their products.
I don’t know how other people do their business, but having been involved in wholesaling before wouldn’t the licensors have already sold those goods to Amazon and recieved whatever wholesale price they asked for them?

The ones taking the hit on discounting in that situation would be Amazon, surely?

I don’t know how other people do their business, but having been involved in wholesaling before wouldn’t the licensors have already sold those goods to Amazon and recieved whatever wholesale price they asked for them?

The ones taking the hit on discounting in that situation would be Amazon, surely?

They want complete control over how much ot ever goes for to maintain its premium price brand

They want complete control over how much ot ever goes for to maintain its premium price brand
Seems a bit self-defeating to do yourself out of potential sales from retailers who have a massive customer base just because you don’t want to be undercut. I mean there’s nothing stopping a company keeping their wholesale prices high so the amount other retailers can discount is limited.

Back