Relationships and Romance

Sounds like yet another potential option to pre-emptively cross off my list, then.

I'm totally with Lemon on this. Like, 1,000%. It sounds like... just another horror.
Depends where you live really, if you're in a more populated area you might find you have better luck with the ladies

I'm not really sure this is the place to give or receive relationship/dating advice... not to be unkind, but I wouldn't trust anyone here's advice on this subject any more than I'd trust the advice of someone from the Sahara desert in how to handle ten feet of snow.

I mean hey, by all means, try it.
I just... couldn't. My best friend tried to get me onto Match.com, but I just... couldn't. I agree with everything you wrote in your last post, you see. All of it.

I'd assumed there'd be some kind of membership fee or something for Match, but I think it might be free? Even with that, I just... can't.

Although it may be true that we can't really help each other, I often find the opposite to be true also, where people who have had experience can't help either. At least the people I've spoken to, they don't understand stuff like social anxiety or low self esteem. It's just all "be more confident", "stop putting yourself down" "get yourself out there", when really it isn't quite as easy as they make it out to be.

Sharing experiences is an important part of understanding each other, I think that's a fine thing to do. But there's a difference between trying to understand yourself and others and thinking you have the answers for others or trying to tell them what to do. The latter I find is unhelpful even if it comes from a place of caring.

I'm not really sure this is the place to give or receive relationship/dating advice... not to be unkind, but I wouldn't trust anyone here's advice on this subject any more than I'd trust the advice of someone from the Sahara desert in how to handle ten feet of snow.

They are kinda similar, just one is hot and one is cold :p. Women are much the same young grasshopper.

Honestly though I don't think it's possible to really give advice when it comes to hooking a significant (or casual) other because when you're single and depressed/desperate it all seems so impossible and despite what people's advice might suggest, there's no magical key that works for all men or women worldwide. Ultimately there's only 2 real choices, keep trying or give up. Either way you have to learn to be comfortable settling into it.

The only piece of sage advice I ever really give is that a relationship isn't a cure all. My younger self was stupid enough to think that my life would be all better once I found someone. The cold truth is, it doesn't! Your neurosis will not disappear magically and, in many cases, lack of experience being close to someone else and trying to read their minds, wants & needs only serves to make it worse.

The only piece of sage advice I ever really give is that a relationship isn't a cure all. My younger self was stupid enough to think that my life would be all better once I found someone. The cold truth is, it doesn't! Your neurosis will not disappear magically and, in many cases, lack of experience being close to someone else and trying to read their minds, wants & needs only serves to make it worse.

I dunno, I always thought, at least in my personal experience, the low self-esteem was always hand in hand with my lacklustre love life. My main issues are low self esteem and self worth, so if I actually found a girl who could love me and care about me, I assumed that'd make me feel as if I was actually worth something, knowing that I was actually attractive and worthwhile to someone, and not just a waste of space. To have those feelings continue whilst also being in a relationship seems like paradoxical.

The only piece of sage advice I ever really give is that a relationship isn't a cure all.
No, indeed not. I'm sure I'm not even remotely cut out for it. I'm sure, even if I could ever get within shouting distance of it, it'd quickly end in totally ignominious disaster. (And would quite possibly end me.)

I know that. I fully understand that on an entirely conscious and rational level. But try telling that to the parts of my brain that don't listen to common sense and logic. They're telling me I'd like to try it at least once before I expire!

Because...
I dunno, I always thought, at least in my personal experience, the low self-esteem was always hand in hand with my lacklustre love life.
. . . if I actually found a girl who could love me and care about me, I assumed that'd make me feel as if I was actually worth something, knowing that I was actually attractive and worthwhile to someone, and not just a waste of space.
I agree with Lemon again here. 100%. Is that naive, then?

Last edited:
Fwiw, match.com is a paid for service (although I think they sometimes offer free trial periods). If you want something like that to play around with, okcupid is free and fairly painless, at least compared to how people have described tinder to me.

I dunno, I always thought, at least in my personal experience, the low self-esteem was always hand in hand with my lacklustre love life. My main issues are low self esteem and self worth, so if I actually found a girl who could love me and care about me, I assumed that'd make me feel as if I was actually worth something, knowing that I was actually attractive and worthwhile to someone, and not just a waste of space. To have those feelings continue whilst also being in a relationship seems like paradoxical.

Everybody in a relationship wants to feel that and yet they frequently go wrong. If the low self esteem etc goes away then surely that wouldn't happen?

Unfortunately low self-esteem can't just be switched off overnight and you can end up feeling you're not good enough, that can lead to constantly needing reassurance or jealousy which then pushes your partner away. You can also fall into the trap of thinking they're perfect because they've saved you from being alone & this can leave you feeling like everything that goes wrong is your fault, which can inadvertently make them feel that they're not good enough. It's a mine (mind?) field.

I know it sounds obvious to say but your prospective partner is also an autonomous being and they come with their own baggage, emotions & hang-ups and relationships involve balancing your own emotions and needs with someone else's & you need a certain level of confidence to correctly anticipate theirs and not get too hurt if you're wrong.

I know I sound really negative but all I'm really trying to scream is the important of having realistic expectations instead of running away with fantasies about the perfect woman/relationship etc as they cause more harm than good because reality can often seem underwhelming. I might be making it sound like it's not worth it but to me it is, just don't underestimate what hard work maintaining a relationship is.

If you just want simple happiness then take long walks in beautiful landscapes, get a loving pet (I recommend dogs), a sex toy, and eat good tasting food!

Well, they say you learn something new every day, and it's true. I turned 36 today, and I'm still learning new things. I learned the term "v-card" courtesy of @IncendiaryLemon. From now on, that is the delicate term I will use to refer to the unenviable card which I still have in my hand to this day.

And if anyone dares say "That's not the only thing you still have in your hand"...

@Watanabe Ken, I'm looking at you, you mischief maker. :p

I turned 36 today
Happy Birthday!
95cf5f13c0148c0f645703dad4265e205f19ea3e0ec9ac284203bedf68ae4379.gif

Back