Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up in the Air

8/10

My favourite Clooney film is Michael Clayton. This comes close in second place. He seems to do the same performance for a lot of films - charm and gravelly voice - but what the hell, I like it.

Anyway, this is his second best performance. Clooney could sell ice to the Eskimos’, he can sell fire in hell and he uses his charms to let people know that they have been ‘let go’ and he feels their pain. Not that that's the main focus of the film, it's the emptiness of the life he leads. You can see the journey he's going on and the wedding crisis feels false but it's fine because George carries me along. He’s perfect as the guy who enjoys his role as guy who fires people and air-mile hunter and mentor to Anna Kendrick who is endearing and Vera Farmiga is just totally...

This is the first recession film I’ve seen. It lampoons the corporate thinking of the past decade and details the fallout. The use of real people who lost their jobs is quite affecting. Equally affecting is the ending, depending on how you think he’s been affected, it is bitter for a Hollywood film. Stay halfway through the credits for a bonus.

Jayme said:
Genkina Hito said:
and Vera Farmiga is just totally...
Pointless? Annoying? Cliché? She was all of them and more to me.

I was going to say cruel but I didn't want to spoil it. I can see your point and the whole film is predictable "a man who constantly travels goes on a journey of self-discovery..." in that way but the ending was bitter, so full marks to it.

Anyways... Hurt Locker to sweep the Oscars!

Blade Runner - 10/10

The first time I watched Blade Runner I was only thirteen or so, only just hit my first year as a teenager, my older brother (who is now roughly thirty) regularly provided me with DVDs to watch on my PS2, one of them was Blade Runner. The first time I watched it, I was just... in awe, the world and atmosphere were perfect for me at the time. When deciding to re-watch it recently I figured I'd appreciate it much more and see things in a different light that what I did at thirteen, but it was pretty much the same deal. I used to watch it religiously when I was younger anyway, so over the multiple watches I got the gist of it all. Music was God Tier too by the way.

Astro Boy
There’s one thing this film does spectacularly – show how hard it is to make a decent animated film. I salute you, Pixar Animation Studios.

In this post Up/Incredibles/Toy Story world you either go hard or go home even if you are a film aimed at children… and to be honest neither the writing nor the animation of Astro Boy is especially interesting. There are some funny lines and it rattles along at a fair pace and even the voice acting is generally good for the most part but it just made me feel indifferent. Ponyo is out, take your younger family members to see that.

Astro Boy – 5/10

Well, this morning insomnia led me to watch one of the as yet unwatched films in my Werner Herzog boxed set, Even Dwarfs Started Small. It gets 8.5/10.

Normally I'm pretty into Herzog's films from the get-go, but this was something else... Basically, insane dwarfs trash a mental institution they are confined to. That's it. That's the plot. The scenes featuring animal cruelty in particular were quite disquieting and made it hard for me to to disconnect from reality and engage with the film.

At one point though, I believe I really did get the point of the film and simultaneously thanked and cursed Herzog for what a brilliant, maddening man he is. As a van drives in circles and a dwarf is smashing up a typewriter, I suddenly thought "Throw it under the car. That'll really wreck it..." I then felt frustrated that he wasn't doing so... and then he did. I slapped my thigh and laughed. And the dwarves laughed. And I realised that's what this film is all about - How humanity has these anarchistic base instincts just below the surface, and how once you give in and embrace that darker side of yourself which loves destruction, you enjoy it; A fact which is both liberating and quite disturbing. With the joyousness of the dwarfs and the destruction they unleash, this film captures both of those feelings perfectly.

Ponyo

This wouldn't be in my top 5 Ghibli films. Perhaps 8 or 9. The simple fact is that it's a simple fairytale based on the Little Mermaid fairytale and I have a lot of problems with stories where girls give themselves wholly over to boys in the name of love - girls should read Undine or watch An Education and realise men are not the answer to anything. My disquiet probably shows my cynical nature.

Initial reservations out of the way...

The film is immensely enjoyable and the sentimentality got me at points so I overcame that cynicism. It is a painterly, leisurely Miyazaki on display and despite the simple story I enjoyed it immensely. The details are immersive and there's a real sense of taste and smell to the film. The dub is good although I prefer the original Japanese.

Still, I prefer Miyzaki’s other heroines who are strong and independent and have ambitions and responsibilities beyond love.

8/10

The Descent 7/10
The Shining 9/10
12 Monkeys 8.5/10
Brazil 8/10
Jacobs Ladder 8.5/10
Body of Lies 5/10
Eastern Promises 8/10
Ponyo 8/10

Avatar - Saw it at the BFI imax at Waterloo.

Better than Titanic (just), but not a patch on Camreon's older stuff. Falls into the same trap as all the recent CGI films where time spent developing the universe and special effects outweighs the time spent developing decent characters.

Time to go watch Aliens again. Now that would be incredible in full 3d.

An enjoyable, but very silly 7/10.

Old Boy; not as good as people have made it out to be in my opinion. Our Eastern friends love to have very elaborate plots, and.... I'll stop criticising.

Alice In Wonderland 7/10

A very enjoyable film, not nearly as dark as I imagined it to be and I <3'd Chesire cat!

Johnny Depp impressed me with his ability to speak in a variety of accents, I thought theacting was well done (especially the Red Queen) and the special effects weren't overdone. It was also a pleasant surprise to learn the Jabberwocky poem was intergrated into the film along with some of it's characters (the Jabberwocky itself, voiced by Christopher Lee looked so cool) . I would have, however, liked to have seen more of Chesire Cat and Alan Rickman's character throughought the film (Absolam I think his name is), I thought they were underused.

But yes, definitely not Burton's/Depp's best work, but well worth seeing with a few friends

Last edited by a moderator:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Tough film. If you don't like sexual violence, stay away. I have to admit, I had trouble watching some scenes. It's a cross between gothic horror and a standard detective drama set in Sweden with a grim atmosphere. That said, it is a gripping thriller (the final 30 minutes being very exciting) and it has a satisfying ending. Noomi Rapace is brilliant as the eponymous girl.

8/10

Green Zone

If you loved The Bourne Ultimatum, then you’ll be in Heaven with this. It features the same Director, Actor, the same style – handheld, shaky cam, close-ups and zip pans that take in the action. It also has a similar feel in terms of the mistrust of Government and one man fighting to reveal a conspiracy.

The politics are nothing new and it bears no relation to the book outside of a few scenes BUT… as a thriller, it works brilliantly. It’s taut and Greengrass keeps the action flowing smoothly, increasing the pressure brilliantly in the final half. Matt Damon is on top form as square-jawed hero, Greg Kinnear is brilliant as an arrogant Intelligence agent and Jason Isaac’s is genuinely menacing in scenes.

It has a feeling of verisimilitude achieved by using real life soldiers, language, locations and the cinematography is just awesome… which isn’t a surprise as this film shares the same cinematographer as The Hurt Locker. As soon as I saw Barry Ackroyd's name it all made sense.

8/10 Great film.

Alice in Wonderland (3D)

This film isn’t as visually spectacular as Avatar but the world it creates is just as or even more immersive and the 3D helps (surprisingly Alice was shot in 2D and retrofitted with 3D). To finish off, the story, dialogue and characterisation are better than Avatar’s albeit still formulaic.

The supporting characters are great but Johnny Depp's scottish accent was distracting. Odd choice.

This film is Burton at his most passive. It felt like he wasn’t trying and so the result was pedestrian.

7/10

Shutter Island

This film is a conflation of everything that made 40's and 50's films so memorable. The themes, the twisting, non-linear narrative, unreliable characters, tricksy editing techniques. This is a gothic/psychological horror that is well shot.

It has great central performances throughout but the beginning is the best bit before then it sinks into a potboiler/b-movie. The ending is anti-climatic but fun.

8/10

Monty Python's Not the Messiah (He’s a Very Naughty Boy)

This was a performance celebrating 40 years of Monty Python that was captured on digital film. The group come together (sans Cleese)in the Royal Albert Hall for an oratorio based on the legendary film Life of Brian. Accompanying the Pythons were four opera singers, and the magnificent BBC symphony orchestra and chorus.

The digital picture was extremely sharp (you can see the notes on the sheet music, flecks of saliva, wrinkles etc.) and despite some dips in terms of songs towards the end (the Lumberjack Song felt weirdly deflated), the whole thing bounces along merrily.

Every glimpse of a Python was great and the opera singers were brilliant but the BBC orchestra and choir stole the show with their skilful playing (I wish I stuck with playing a musical instrument so I could be part of an orchestra).

The highlights (apart from the sharp lines) were Eric Idle’s impression of a certain throaty sounding folk singer and Always Look on the Bright Side of Life and the gospel and doo-wop numbers. This is a film for Python fans and an experience that should be seen live or, at the very least in a cinema to enjoy the skill of the orchestra, choir and singers.

8/10

Hit Girl, 10/10.

Oh wait? Kick Ass. I meant Kick Ass, absolutely terrific film. Took me a while to get into it, for a while I was thinking I'd seen it all in the trailer but then something happened - I got absorbed and I loved it. It had some juvenile Superbad-esque humour but for the most part it carries itself by being a superhero character drama. Visually, it looks very much like The Dark Knight and it might not seem like it, I firmly believe that its an apt comparison, especially towards the end. Last year's Zombieland also struck me as being similar whilst watching. It tried to reinforce the fact its a comic-book a couple of times, albeit not for long, but that adds another fun flavour to the film.

I heard Nick Cage gave his best performance in a long time and although I can (probably) agree with that (didn't see Bad Lieutenant) - he didn't exactly... do much. The performances were one of the strongest parts of the film actually. The writing was good, but I could see it somewhat falling flat if it weren't for this casting. These are good characters for a comedy, but surprisingly, became much better when the drama comes about. It shocked me how invested I got in some of these characters and I want to see more of them. Although I think a time skip might be necessary if a sequel comes about.

Hit Girl carried the movie for me. She's the reason I would like a time skip, I want to see what this kid is like as a 20-something, hopefully with a lot of emotional baggage, that they can deconstruct the **** out off. It might end up as one of the most depressing films of All Time but I don't care. I want some fu*king deconstruction!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back