Rate the Last Film You Watched

So i was finally inspired (thanks to this thread) to get into watching Woo's pre hollywood films and i started with Hard Boiled. There was some fleshing out needed and i didn't really agree with every use of that slow down effect but otherwise this was leading up to be one of the best action movies there is (character's seemed interesting and the restaraunt and warehouse scenes were really spectacular)

But then the hospital happened and everything was ruined. I mean.......what the **** was it with all the ******* "hey,hey look at the babies" These's characters clearyl don't really care about human lives in the end because they are totally reckless and don't give a **** about causing tons of civilian casualties so why the baby act? I know that people tend to care more about children but it's pretty scummy to give so much attention them but not to really care about the adults. The whole baby thing is baffling even in a sense that the COPS WERE THE REASON WHY THOSE BABIES WERE IN DANGER IN THE FIRST PLACE.....jesus.

It's funny though that these Hong Kong cops don't seem to ever try to take the criminals alive.

But yeah. Besides the whole baby thing the hospital part was weak to me action and character wise also. It's not that the action scenes look bad but it's just that the hospital part goes on too long and the action is weaker in comparison to the earlier parts.

I would give the first 1.15h 8/10 but the rest is really disappointing.

Vice

A surprisingly funny sort-of biopic for Dick Cheney, the boozy college dropout who survived long enough in the back rooms of the White House to become a brutish guiding hand behind the US response to 9/11. The film is witty and well acted, but, by its own admission, key parts of the story are things that still remain unknown to those who weren't there and, ultimately, it feels like a multitude of clever devices have been deployed to mask a frustrating lack of substance underneath. It's consistently entertaining, but don't expect any fresh insight into its central figure or those around him.

CAPTAIN MARVEL

I'd say the film is somewhere around the middle of the MCU. Similar to a Doctor Strange or Ant-Man. The first Act has the most issues with it being a bit difficult to follow but things smooth out once we reach earth. brie Larson is very endearing particularly during her 'fish out of water' moments. One of Sam Jackson's best performances in the franchise and an antagonist that's both enjoyable and surprising
It doesn't break much new ground for the MCU except finally having a female MC after over ten years. If you like the MCU you'll like this. If you have any young female relatives, definitely bring them along.

Also, plenty 90s jokes that people of my generation will appreciate.

7/10

Monday, March 11th to Sunday, March 17th.

Sanjuro
This is the sequel to Yojimbo, and features Toshiro Mifune as the main guy again. To be honest, I actually enjoyed this one more. The characters were all good (as in the first film), however, I just think the story was better this time around. It felt like it went more in depth. 8/10.

Island of Fire
So is this a Jackie Chan movie? - eh, if features him at least. So I saw this movie many years ago on DVD, but now that it has been released in Germany by Koch Media, I had to pick it up! I enjoy this film, I find it pretty good. My brother didn't like it at all lol. I find it great that it had many characters, and it was more broad (if it makes sense). I also like the twists in the movie. Can recommend! - just note that the German blu-ray only has German subs with original audio. 6.5/10.
I'm the opposite, I prefer Yojimbo to Sanjuro. All Kurosawa's samurai movies are awesome but the greatest will always be the 'magnificent' (see what I did there) Seven Samurai.
I wish that Criterion would upgrade their Red Beard DVD to Blu-ray.

Alita: Battle Angel
Pretty cool action movie that doesn't delve too much into the existential stuff, in fact she finds out who and what she is by about half way through. I'm a little hazy on the first volume of the manga as I read it over a year ago!, but from the rest which I read much more recently it's only hinted at and never answered in the original manga!
It mainly consists of content from the first 4 volumes with events running concurrently rather than one after the other which makes it more cohesive than the manga. There's also a character that was an anime original from the OVA and a few bits that must have been from the later manga series. Although this did mean that the ending was a little disjointed with all the different volume (and OVA) endings getting there end (4 overall as volumes 3 & 4 dealt with same story). It also means that there is plenty of material left for a sequel. Indeed the big bad is only in the background and only actually shown in last few moments, which meant the stakes didn't seem that high at the end either.
There were 2 changes which I didn't like. One didn't make sense Ido being in favour of Alita joining the Motorball goes against the manga and also the film itself where he has a backstory of working in the sport, but one of the players he worked with/created went mad and killed his real daughter. The other was the changing of a fight that finished differently and then finished later in few blows when she's basically a super hero.
The CGI works well and you get used to the eyes of Alita, although she's the one character you can sort of tell the face is artificial. Probably because she the MC and talks to the characters played by real people and a lot of the time in the daylight.
7/10

Last edited:
Shazam

Full stop, the best DCEU movie. Heart, action and a wicked sense of humour that pushes harder against traditional family friendly comed without being 'edgy'. The best ensemble of child actors I've seen in a film who are allowed to actually do things real kids do instead of being sanitised. The villain is fleshed out with some pretty scary scenes which they manage to successfully balance with the comedy and drama. The third act contain a moment you will be so glad they didn't spoil in the trailers. 8/10

Teen Titans Go To The Movies

Finally got around to this, thus comping the slate of 2718's comic book movies. I feel my opinion on this matches what Inthink of the show. Pretty mixed. There are some great comic book related homes in there and if you have a lot of that trivia in your head, it makes them all the more hilarious, especially the few that go pretty dark or explicit. They're worth seeing but ipm not sure Ipd watch thus again just for them rather than some clips online. You still have a lit of the same crass and juvenile humour the show dies that I find cringy and I just kind of felt indifferent to host of the songs.Hoping that mid-credits scene leads to something. 6/10

With that, I can finally give my own personal ranking for the comic book movies of 2018!

1. Spider-Man Into The Spider-Verse.
2. Avengers: Infinity War
3. Deadpool 2
4. Black Panther
5. Aquaman
6. Ant-Man and the Wasp
7. Teen Titans Go To The Movies
8. Venom

Watched 8-10 movies between friday and monday and here's few words on some of them.

Bad Times At The El Royale
This did start out well but but the last like 40 minutes are kinda dull. Jeff Bridges is good, it's shot well and the set does look nice (the whole movie takes place in a 50's hotel/motel) but the last act is just disappointing. Chris Hemsworth's character did nothing for me.

6/10

The Ninth Gate
For a mystery film this film doesn't have much mystery going on. Johnny Depp character is hired to compare his client's satanic book to other three surviving copies of book to see whether his client's one is authentic. People die but there's no weight and nothing interesting turns out regarding the four books. I still didn't have bad time watching it but the film is completely pointless and probably Polanski's worst film.

5/10

The Hunter
Can't say that i enjoyed the evil corporation aspect and there's a big dramatic moment that's a complete thud but this i still enjoyed the film.
Lot's of good scenery in the film and you can't go wrong with Willem Dafoe.

7+/10

Deadpool 2
The first film was just passable but this sequel fared lot better. I wasn't chuckling many times but i did laugh my ass off when the main operation started (those that have seen this know what i mean) and the film was overall enjoyable. Hoping that eventually third get's even better.

7+/10

Triad Election (Election 2)

I did see the first film years and years ago but i think it was pretty shoddy.I did want to see Chinese ganster film and i did remember that the first one had 1-2 sequels (only one) so i went to check whether this sequel faired better and that seemed to be the case so i checked it out and it turned out that....yes, it's lot better than the first film. The first film isn't necessarily needed to watch this one but one of the main characters is from the first one and some of the weight is lost if it's skipped. The plot is the all familiar downfall story but it's done well so no problems there. It's not Chinese Godfather but it's still well done gangster flick.

7/10

Out of those three Hero is definitely my favorite. I don't think i really cared about his other Wuxia films but i probably should watch all three on one of these day's because it's been ages since i saw them.

Probably should upgrade my DVD's of them to bluray.

Avengers: Endgame

Midnight double bill showing with Infinity War. Epic Epic Epic.

I'm still buzzing but need to try and get to sleep...

Infinity/10

Back