Rate the Last Film You Watched

Voices of a Distant Star. 6/10. The premise was good but I couldn't get into it the way I jump in with Shinkai's other work. I really hated the animation back then too. I'd of preferred they kept it Bebop like for the time it was released. The main lass in it looked uuuugly.

I have The Place Promised in our Early Days next as it's the due pack from AL, so I'm hoping i'll enjoy it.

Garden of Words is still my number 1 of his. I've rewatched it loads and still cry every time.

Your Name opening though with it's theme song, I still remember seeing it in the cinema, my face and the delight on it. Anime belongs in the cinema, always will.

Back when Voices of a Distant Star was first released, the animation was really not frowned upon. I've got it on DVD somewhere with all my old ADV stuff but I remember it being amazing at the time :)

farzam1999

Student Council President
2 movies in 2 days for me!

Harakiri (1962) Masaki Kobayashi (1st time watch)
One word. wow.
This was a great film. The story was great, the characters were great, and how it all was tied together through flashbacks. The ending scene was epic, and the whole cinematography as well. Great work from Kobayashi. 8.5/10

The Young Master (1980) Jackie Chan
Back to some classic Jackie Chan! I had a great time watching this. Sadly I own the German blu-ray which only has German subs, which I did understand, but it would've been better with English. But aside from that, it was great overall, the choreography was absolutely fantastic! And the young Yuen Biao was a great character. 7/10

He did it on his own! He even voiced the male character, I believe it's on the disc as well as the professional VA. The only thing he didn't do was the music.
He made cut scenes for video games, so used the same tech to make the film, so that's why it looks like it does. For the music he asked a composer from the same gaming company to make it for him.

Oh wow, I didn't know that! Definitely makes me appreciate it so so much more.

It's defaulted to dub so maybe i'll rewatch the sub sometime and give it another go. Thanks :)

Some thoroughly random viewing.

Hang 'Em High (1968)

Although a critical and commercial success, I found this Clint Eastwood western, about an ex-lawman looking for revenge on a lynch mob, a bit stodgy. The setup is fine and there's a tense sequence of Eastwood leading several captives across a remote desert, but it's long winded and the action lacks flair. The most interesting thing about it is that it seems to straddle the divide between more traditional Hollywood westerns and the rising influence of the nihilistic Spaghettis, but the two approaches don't really gel.

BlacKkKlansman

Not as much of a comedy as some of the trailers and reviews make it out to be, but its suprisingly measured, low-key approach to a black police officer's audacious attempt to inflitrate the KKK, feels entirely appropriate, given the kind of everyday monstrosity the film is dealing with. A timely film which is absorbing, accessible and impeccably acted.

Return of the Living Dead (1985)

I was all ready to put the boot in to this tongue-in-cheek alternative sequel for Romero's zombie classic, as everything I'd read about it suggested I'd hate it, but to my surprise, it's actually a rather charming slice of cold-war farce, which sees a pair of unwitting medical supply company caretakers crack a case of misplaced chemical contagen, causing the dead to rise. The first half-hour appealed to me the most, with a kind of screwball double-act between the middle-aged janitor and his young assistant, but even as it moves away from them, there are still plenty of interesting ideas in the mix, even if the film is held together more by its satirical desire to show the world's end brought on by incompetence, than any compelling character development.

farzam1999

Been almost a month since I last posted in this thread o_O the time flies, as I have started at a new university, so that's been keeping my time, but it didn't stop me from watching a bunch of movies :D

The Librarian (2004) Peter Winther
Watched this with my brother, and well... It has aged... a lot. We watched it on blu-ray, and well all the effects looked poor. But it's a TV movie, what more can you expect. Still a cheesy fun classic lol. Can't watch ER after watching Noah Wyle after this movie. 6/10 for the laughs, not the story.

Pokémon The Movie - I Choose You! (2017) Kunihiko Yuyama
This was an interesting movie, that set up an alternate timeline in the Pokémon universe. I wasn't so fond of the art style, nor the voices that used in dub. Would've loved to see the original Japanese soundtrack, so maybe I'll upgrade to the HK version which includes it. The story was okay. My biggest problem was in the pacing, it was basically too fast. I know it was a movie, which didn't have the time to go in depth, but this could be done with the more upcoming movies. Overall, an alright entry in the series. 6/10

Line Walker (2016) Jazz Boon
I haven't watched the Line Walker series, but this movie looked interesting. Boy, it was a bit hard to understand. As it seems, a bit of knowledge of the original series is needed to get this movie to make more sense. But at the end it all became clear. The story was good, and the actors/actresses performed really good. Panorama did an excellent job with the PQ on this. I liked all the twists and turns until the end, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming sequel. 7/10

Outrage (2010) Takeshi Kitano (1st time watch)
This was my second Kitano film, and damn it was violent! I loved it! The story was a little confusing, but that was mostly because of the whole Yakuza setting, with all the different people controlling gangs and stuff. The directing was lovely as the other Kitano film I have seen. I decided to upgrade to the HK version, getting more bonus features, and purchased Outrage Beyond and Outrage Code as well. Solid 8/10

Ip Man (2008) Wilson Yip (1st time watch)
Yeah, this was my first time watching this movie, big surprise huh. As I believe I have stated before, I'm not a big fan of Donnie Yen, but I like his fighting style. The story was kinda meh, reminded me of an other movie with similar tone and story. But the fights were the highlights! Action direction was done very well. From a technical standpoint, Cine-Asia really messed up the PQ in comparison to the HK release. Solid action movie. 7/10

Ip Man 2 (2010) Wilson Yip (1st time watch)
This one was a little different though. The story wasn't that good, some of the plots could've been left out, as it didn't do anything for me. But it had one of the best fights I've seen in recent years! The fight with Sammo Hung on a round table was very well executed. I wasn't so fond of the dubbing that was done, otherwise it was good. The UK PQ is identical to the HK, so I'm good there. 7/10

Drunken Master (1978) Yuen Woo-Ping
Still a classic lol. Watched it with my friend, who hadn't watched it before. But he knew of it, and that it was a classic. The gags were still fun. The story was very basic, bad guy killing some guy in the beginning and a hero who goes through training and facing off in a big field in the last scene. Very basic for an 70's-80's martial arts film. But it stood out, among all those films.
It also stands out for me. 9/10

John Wich - Chapter 2 (2017) Chad Stahelski
Watched the same day as the previous with my friend. He had watched the first one but not this. A really good action movie, with great characters. The only problem I can think of is that it took the basic story and characters from the first movie, and made them much more complex. I wasn't happy for that. But the action scenes are what we're here for, right? - yes it is, and they were done great! Even the fist fights were pleasing to watch, from a martial arts point of view. Really looking forward to the third one next year! 7.5/10

Game of Death (1972) Bruce Lee
I did not like this movie. I know, I know it's incomplete. But why, oh why must they stick a cardboard cutout of Lee's head on the mirror so it was supposed to look like him. The story was waaaay bad, he was shot in the face and survived? I am not going to keep the blu-ray. 3/10
_______
My anime watching has gone down a bit, and my collection has shrunk (correct tense?) quite a bit in size. But at the moment, I have kept all the classics, and must-haves. I have also watched a lot more movies than these listed, I don't want to mention them as they were too bad and I didn't want to keep them lol.

farzam1999

Might as well update regularly :D

The Five Deadly Venoms (1978) Chang Cheh (1st time watch)
This has been called a classic among martial arts fans, and now I see why! At first I was unsure whether or not the story was good. But it became a lot better along the way. I disliked some of the characters but the Venom Mob was great as always. But the good stuff lies within the fight scenes, they were as always, with Shaw Bros., some of the greatest ever. Now this is a martial arts classic! 8/10

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
AUKN Staff
Halloween (2007)

With the newest attempt at reviving the never-ending Halloween franchise arriving in cinemas this October, it occured to me that I never checked out the last attempt at a reboot, which was Rob Zombie's Halloween from 2007. I'd always heard mixed things about this one, as it seemed rather polarizing, and after watching it, I can't help but feel that I'm somewhat on the fence myself.

The most glaring and obvious issue with this film is the fact that it wasn't content with being a simple remake of the 1978 cult classic, but instead a prequel/remake hybrid. Michael Myers, at least in the original, was a total force of nature, a psychopath with totally unknown motivations and whose past is shrouded in secrecy, and this is essential to what makes him scary. You don't know who he is or why he's doing what he's doing, but he can't be stopped. This remake seems to stomp all over this notion by dedicating the entire first half reveal the history of the character, and even try and generate sympathy for the maniac by showing his tragic upbringing, a mix of an abusive step father, stripper mother, uncaring sister and undiagnosed and untreated mental illness. Not only is it totally unnecessary to show all this, it strips the character, at least in part, of what makes him scary. It gives emotions and feelings to what is supposed to be an unstoppable killing machine. I'm not entirely sure what Rob Zombie's intent was with taking the character in this direction, but it sure didn't work very well.

What could have mitigated this was if the backstory bit was far shorter than what it ends up being in the final cut. At a little under 2 hours in length, there are great chunks that could have been lifted from this to get it down to a leaner, meaner running time, especially from the start. Outside of Michael killing his sister and step-father, there isn't a whole lot that really needed to be here, such as him killing the bully, his sister's sex scene, and most of the metal hospital scenes before the flash forward. The less they show of Michael's childhood, the better, and if you edited this film down to ~90 minutes or so, it'd have been a lot better for it.

Lastly, there is the use of John Carpenter's original score within this film which, whilst good intentioned, doesn't work well at all. It just isn't suited to the tone or visuals at all, and feels crowbarred in to evoke a sense of nostalgia of familiarity amongst the audience, which is a pretty cheap way of trying to people like your film.

Although at this point it may sound like I wasn't a fan of Halloween, I actually still enjoyed it quite a bit, in spite of its flaws. A lot of this can be directly attributed to the musician-turned-director at the helm, Rob Zombie. His grunge aesthetic, carried over from his music, is a rather unique one amongst horror directors, and it is abundantly clear the he had a clear vision in mind of the kind of Halloween movie he wanted to make, and he executed it very well. At this point in time, the franchise was a laughing stock, losing credibility with every sequel, and becoming increasingly absurd to boot, so handing the reins over to an auteur such as Zombie to give a totally new and fresh take on the decades old series was the shot in the arm it needed. Zombie, as a filmmaker, is just as polarizing as the film itself, but I do love it when you can tell who directed a film just by watching it, and this is certainly achieved here.

Given the gore-heavy horror films were in vogue around the time this film was produced, it's no surprise that this is the most violent and gory franchise entry to date, which is something I can get behind. I do love a good splatterfest, and in this regard, Halloween delivers in spades. There's nothing too creative, mostly just stabbings and slashings, but it all feels very viceral and effective. Nothing feels over the top, showing a surprising amount of self-restraint in places, especially given it's peers at the time such as Hostel and Saw.

Overall, it isn't hard to see why fans and non-fans alike are so split on this particular film. It has a lot of strengths, but at the same time, is undermined by an overlong running time and too much backstory. I wouldn't go so far to call Halloween (2007) a good movie, but nonetheless, I still enjoyed it.

Halloween (2007)

With the newest attempt at reviving the never-ending Halloween franchise arriving in cinemas this October, it occured to me that I never checked out the last attempt at a reboot, which was Rob Zombie's Halloween from 2007. I'd always heard mixed things about this one, as it seemed rather polarizing, and after watching it, I can't help but feel that I'm somewhat on the fence myself.

The most glaring and obvious issue with this film is the fact that it wasn't content with being a simple remake of the 1978 cult classic, but instead a prequel/remake hybrid. Michael Myers, at least in the original, was a total force of nature, a psychopath with totally unknown motivations and whose past is shrouded in secrecy, and this is essential to what makes him scary. You don't know who he is or why he's doing what he's doing, but he can't be stopped. This remake seems to stomp all over this notion by dedicating the entire first half reveal the history of the character, and even try and generate sympathy for the maniac by showing his tragic upbringing, a mix of an abusive step father, stripper mother, uncaring sister and undiagnosed and untreated mental illness. Not only is it totally unnecessary to show all this, it strips the character, at least in part, of what makes him scary. It gives emotions and feelings to what is supposed to be an unstoppable killing machine. I'm not entirely sure what Rob Zombie's intent was with taking the character in this direction, but it sure didn't work very well.

What could have mitigated this was if the backstory bit was far shorter than what it ends up being in the final cut. At a little under 2 hours in length, there are great chunks that could have been lifted from this to get it down to a leaner, meaner running time, especially from the start. Outside of Michael killing his sister and step-father, there isn't a whole lot that really needed to be here, such as him killing the bully, his sister's sex scene, and most of the metal hospital scenes before the flash forward. The less they show of Michael's childhood, the better, and if you edited this film down to ~90 minutes or so, it'd have been a lot better for it.

Lastly, there is the use of John Carpenter's original score within this film which, whilst good intentioned, doesn't work well at all. It just isn't suited to the tone or visuals at all, and feels crowbarred in to evoke a sense of nostalgia of familiarity amongst the audience, which is a pretty cheap way of trying to people like your film.

Although at this point it may sound like I wasn't a fan of Halloween, I actually still enjoyed it quite a bit, in spite of its flaws. A lot of this can be directly attributed to the musician-turned-director at the helm, Rob Zombie. His grunge aesthetic, carried over from his music, is a rather unique one amongst horror directors, and it is abundantly clear the he had a clear vision in mind of the kind of Halloween movie he wanted to make, and he executed it very well. At this point in time, the franchise was a laughing stock, losing credibility with every sequel, and becoming increasingly absurd to boot, so handing the reins over to an auteur such as Zombie to give a totally new and fresh take on the decades old series was the shot in the arm it needed. Zombie, as a filmmaker, is just as polarizing as the film itself, but I do love it when you can tell who directed a film just by watching it, and this is certainly achieved here.

Given the gore-heavy horror films were in vogue around the time this film was produced, it's no surprise that this is the most violent and gory franchise entry to date, which is something I can get behind. I do love a good splatterfest, and in this regard, Halloween delivers in spades. There's nothing too creative, mostly just stabbings and slashings, but it all feels very viceral and effective. Nothing feels over the top, showing a surprising amount of self-restraint in places, especially given it's peers at the time such as Hostel and Saw.

Overall, it isn't hard to see why fans and non-fans alike are so split on this particular film. It has a lot of strengths, but at the same time, is undermined by an overlong running time and too much backstory. I wouldn't go so far to call Halloween (2007) a good movie, but nonetheless, I still enjoyed it.
I always felt that they misused the Halloween Theme, where it appears here seems premature, like they blew their load too quickly. I do like this remake for what it is, though see it as a reimagining more so than anything else.

Malcom McDowell was an inspired choice for Loomis, and Brad Dourif was decent as well.

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
AUKN Staff
I always felt that they misused the Halloween Theme, where it appears here seems premature, like they blew their load too quickly. I do like this remake for what it is, though see it as a reimagining more so than anything else.

Malcom McDowell was an inspired choice for Loomis, and Brad Dourif was decent as well.
Yeah, when he was just randomly running down the hallway, it was just ... there. When he was digging out the mask towards the end, it was totally justified, but the fact they already played it once dampened it massively. No idea why that first use was there at all.

Yeah, when he was just randomly running down the hallway, it was just ... there. When he was digging out the mask towards the end, it was totally justified, but the fact they already played it once dampened it massively. No idea why that first use was there at all.
I often forget just how many Halloween films there are. For me the best ones are the original two and the Producer’s cut of The Curse of Michael Myers. Hoping the new one is decent.

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
AUKN Staff
I often forget just how many Halloween films there are. For me the best ones are the original two and the Producer’s cut of The Curse of Michael Myers. Hoping the new one is decent.
I've only seen the original and this one. I am looking forward to the new one though! Trailers look great, especially that long tracking shot of Michael going house to house killing people, I can't wait to see that scene in all its glory.

I've only seen the original and this one. I am looking forward to the new one though! Trailers look great, especially that long tracking shot of Michael going house to house killing people, I can't wait to see that scene in all its glory.
I recommend watching Halloween II (1981) as it follows directly on from the end of the first film. III is an unrelated film that was intended for an anthology series but people wanted Michael so they made 4 and 5 which are okay but nothing special.

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
AUKN Staff
I recommend watching Halloween II (1981) as it follows directly on from the end of the first film. III is an unrelated film that was intended for an anthology series but people wanted Michael so they made 4 and 5 which are okay but nothing special.
I'll have to check them out at some point. I am going to a 40th anniversary theatrical screening of the original, so that'd be as good a time as any to watch the second!