Rate the Last Film You Watched

Yeah, when he was just randomly running down the hallway, it was just ... there. When he was digging out the mask towards the end, it was totally justified, but the fact they already played it once dampened it massively. No idea why that first use was there at all.
I often forget just how many Halloween films there are. For me the best ones are the original two and the Producer’s cut of The Curse of Michael Myers. Hoping the new one is decent.

I often forget just how many Halloween films there are. For me the best ones are the original two and the Producer’s cut of The Curse of Michael Myers. Hoping the new one is decent.

I've only seen the original and this one. I am looking forward to the new one though! Trailers look great, especially that long tracking shot of Michael going house to house killing people, I can't wait to see that scene in all its glory.

I've only seen the original and this one. I am looking forward to the new one though! Trailers look great, especially that long tracking shot of Michael going house to house killing people, I can't wait to see that scene in all its glory.
I recommend watching Halloween II (1981) as it follows directly on from the end of the first film. III is an unrelated film that was intended for an anthology series but people wanted Michael so they made 4 and 5 which are okay but nothing special.

I recommend watching Halloween II (1981) as it follows directly on from the end of the first film. III is an unrelated film that was intended for an anthology series but people wanted Michael so they made 4 and 5 which are okay but nothing special.

I'll have to check them out at some point. I am going to a 40th anniversary theatrical screening of the original, so that'd be as good a time as any to watch the second!

You should see if there's one near you! I think they're cropping up everywhere.
I recall seeing it advertised at Picturehouse Central where I usually go to watch films. Sadly it ends late and I’d struggle to get a train back. I am watching Halloween 6 PC as part of my 31 days run so there’s that at least!

Venom

This version of the Venom character is pretty unintentionally(?) funny which is probably the most salvageable element they have going forward. Focus on that and less on the 00s style comic book movie blandness.

I've made peace with the fact that I won't being seeing a version of the original Venom story with Spider-Man for a good long while, so why not take things in a less conventional direction?

Probably the worst live action DC/Marvel film th is year, would be surprised if Aquaman falls lower.

4/10

A Simple Favour

7/10. Wasn't too bad. I do love Blake Lively and she was brilliant. As was the fella who plays her husband (who's in Crazy Rich Asians too). Anna Kendrick is beyond annoying now though. She's just been around too much lol.

Johnny English Strikes Again
'

I have a soft spot for these movies but I will say that this is the weakest one. It isn't as funny as the first movie and doesn't have the added spectacle of the second despite the product place being used to prop up the budget. There's a lot of tepid tepid tech jokes that were clearly written by people with a very basic understanding of sucy things.

Figured I should probably watch at least one horror film during October: t'was the season after all. I'm a big fan of a lot of the themes, atmosphere building and ideas of horror, but I'm a massive pansy when it comes to things like jump scares. As a result, I don't watch very many horror films, and play even less horror games.

But last night, decided to throw on Hideo Nakata's Dark Water. It's a pretty slow burn. Intertwined with the supernatural silliness going on is some family drama involving a single mother going through a custody battle, with her and her young daughter moving into an old fairly run-down apartment building. It takes a bit to really get off its feet, but there's a constant undercurrent of tenseness running throughout the whole thing that never quite allows you to take a break and feel comfortable. My only real complaint was that the climax maybe unfolded a little too quickly? It seemed to betray some of the very deliberate pacing of the rest of the film prior.

Regardless, as a horror film newbie, I enjoyed it well enough. A couple of jump-scarey bits near the end, but nothing too bad.

7/10.

Animal World

An adaptation of Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji from mainland China, this is a rather odd one, as it's mostly quite faithful, except our hero Kai Si now frequently imagines himself as a heroic clown battling alien-like monsters whenever the chips are down. In practice this has very little bearing on the plot, seemingly existing only to let the filmmakers add more action scenes, demonstrate their (admittedly very impressive) special effecs work and give the trailer people room to convince you it's a superhero movie. Mixed messages aside, it's a little overlong, but entertaining and visually quite splendid. It's on Netflix too, so check it out.

Back