Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Bakemonogatari

Oh my goodness, where to begin? It’s like Sam Raimi and Robert Rodriguez collaborated to direct a Shane Black screenplay based on a supernatural/horror story as envisioned by the creators of Phineas and Ferb.

The result is a self-aware production replete with metahumour, metadialogue and other sledgehammer swings at the fourth wall. It’s not particularly graphic: even when a character is flailed about by his newly-liberated entrails, the scene is lacking what the BBFC might call “a focus on detail”. And given our main character Koyomi’s circumstances, the viewer is left with little or any doubt of his survival, thus dulling any suspense during the supernatural scenes.

And so we arrive at my one predicament: what is the primary focus? Is it a supernatural drama or a spoof of modern (circa 2006) anime tropes? I found these elements in conflict with each other rather than in harmony. I suspect that it was meant to be for supernatural drama, but the frequent self-referential interludes slow down the overall pace.

Then there’s the animation. Look, I get that the rapid jump cuts do create a sense of disorientation. I get that the desolate town setting creates a sense of character isolation, further reinforced by long distant shots of characters. I get that the insertion of production notes in place of animation frames adds to the overall self-awareness of the characters and the production itself. I even get the fact that every diver in town driving a Honda S500 speaks of an environment of conformity.

All the same, I still believe that these devices were used as a cost-cutting legerdemain. Jump cuts save on animation frames, as do the production notes, as does Koyomi’s emotive cowlick. Sparse settings mean less background to render. Dialogue where the characters’ mouths can’t be seen mean that lip flaps need not be animated. And the single Honda S500 render can just be cut and pasted as needed. Not that there’s anything wrong with this, as we’ve seen such productions as Evangelion employ similar methods to great effect. Here we see the Raimi and Rodriguez influence of stretching a given production budget: making $10 million look like $100 million.

This is not a bad production, but it is unnecessarily long. It would have been more effective as a four-part OVA – one part for each affected character, with less of the metahumour to bog down the proceedings. As it stands, it gets 6/10.

For me, as a fan of Monogatari, I still find it incredibly hard to sum up exactly what it is that I love so much about it - but I genuinely do think it's one of the most important anime series of the last five years. But can totally see why it might be a bit of a marmite series for some people.

I'm the same. I was sitting here for a good few minutes trying to come up with some kind of counter argument but I just can't really. I just love the series. The humour, the art, the characters. They all just click for me. Definitely not a show for everyone though.

Yakumo said:
All the same, I still believe that these devices were used as a cost-cutting legerdemain.
Well, they used straight up just not drawing stuff as the main cost-cutting time saver while the show was airing. They went back for the home video release and made a lot of additions/adjustments, so at some point it becomes churlish to completely disregard it as an artistic choice.

I agree that 6/10 is quite a generous score for someone who didn't enjoy the humor and wordplay, though, since that is a large part of Nisio Isin's appeal. Reviewing the show is almost impossible at this stage anyway, it's already had too much influence, so I commend your effort.

steel angel kurumi

this series is like a anime with in a anime.... like a otaku for a otaku if that makes sense..... its more comedy then anything with maids and masters and such...and its only 12 min long each ep

its not a good show and its not necessary bad but I thing id rather watch something that has more story and serious

6/10

Only Yesterday = 7/10
Too sentimental, and the "farmers make the world go round" message was a little bit too forcefully conveyed. Might score higher with the ladies, but I'm a stereotypical male :) Liked the ending sequence with the kids from the past following the mature(d) heroine around. Also, what the hell happened to the budding romance of the preteen heroine???

Naruto Shippuuden The Movie - 6/10
Standard Naruto fare, which means entirely predictable story with nonsensical villain actions and average combat sequences (is there anything byakugan can't break?). At least I laughed a few times. OH. Don't forget to watch the post-credits sequence, it's worth a chuckle.

Only Yesterday might have idolized the country life a bit but i didn't get vibe like you did it from it. I watched it last month and i at least really liked it and it's either my favorite or second favorite from all the ghibli films.

Winkuru said:
Only Yesterday might have idolized the country life a bit but i didn't get vibe like you did it from it. I watched it last month and i at least really liked it and it's either my favorite or second favorite from all the ghibli films.

Maybe 6 was a bit low, because I still liked it (OK! I upped it to 7!), but it's far from my favorite Ghibli film. That would be Whisper of the Heart :)

Funny, my top two are probably Whisper of the Heart and Only Yesterday (I'm not sure about the order though, maybe depends on which I watched last). It's interesting the way that different people can have such a different experience with the same film. I didn't get a "farmers make the world go round" message from the film myself but maybe I was too focussed on the reminiscing stuff. Also, trying to visualise dividing fractions by fractions.

Some people say that Only Yesterday is better if you're at least as old as the main character, I don't know if that's true but I guess I understand why people might think that.

I'm tempted to get the Japanese Blu-ray of Only Yesterday since we might not ever get a Blu-ray release here but it's not cheap.

P.H.O.E.N.I.X. said:
Also, what the hell happened to the budding romance of the preteen heroine???
Do you mean the "dirty" kid? I think she mentions that he moved away and that was the end of it. Or was there something else, it might have been too long since I saw it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smeelia said:
Do you mean the "dirty" kid?

No, I mean the baseball wonderkid. I initially thought the country bumpkin waiting for her in the station is the same guy just older, but I guess they only had the baseball cap in common :)

Last edited by a moderator:
P.H.O.E.N.I.X. said:
No, I mean...
Oh, good point. I'm not sure. I guess I do have to watch it again.

Professor Irony said:
I am still afraid to watch Only Yesterday in case it makes me feel old :/
It probably would but in a good way. That's the experience I had anyway.

Professor Irony said:
I am still afraid to watch Only Yesterday in case it makes me feel old :/

You should watch it. Only Yesterday is my favorite Ghibli film along with Whisper of the Heart and although I love both, Only Yesterday will always be number one to me. The whole film was just so calm and relaxing while transporting you to this whole different time period where the characters act like real people and everything becomes so tangible in the world that you swear that you could feel the sun shining on your skin and the wind blowing through your hair while watching it. The soundtrack is also sublime and powerful making use of both Hungarian and Bulgarian folklore music and is used in order to deliver a truly unique pallet of music. Words often fail me in describing this soundtrack and this film for that matter, but like most films, its best seen for yourself, and like most music, its best heard for yourself too. The ending theme is without a doubt one of my favorite pieces from any film. It's a simple story, a quiet story that is very personal and yet inviting as you get pulled into this person’s life and is without a doubt one of my favorite films of all time.

One thing that also deserves to mentioned is that it has some unique voice acting. I don't think i have watched anything else where a character has some sort of mannerism like "lip smacking".

Kill la kill- 8/10
Boy what a ride and that final episode knows how to play on my love of insert songs. One of my top final episodes along with GL and katanagatari.

Yuyushiki-9/10

Oh man, I really liked this show. It is easily one of the most consistently funny anime I've ever seen. Whilst not every joke stuck and not every joke made me burst out laughing, I was chuckling along pretty much every episode. It has a quite a silly sense of humour and it's one of the reasons I loved it, so if you're not really into that kind of thing, your enjoyment might be a little hampered. The characters have some great chemistry, with the stand out character obviously being Yuzuko who was incredibly funny and a treat to watch. The art and animation seems quite unique and quite unlike any other show I've seen. I don't have a huge amount to say about this one, it's just a riot from start to finish. I'd definitely recommend it for people looking for a good comedy anime.

Also, Yuyushki was the 99th anime I've finished watching. I wonder what should take the honour of being 100...

I'm not sure why Yuyushiki seems to be less popular and less well known than similar shows. I suspect you may need a more specific sense of humour to enjoy it but it could just be that people didn't notice it for some reason. I loved it when I watched it anyway and I should be re-watching it soon since I just got the Blu-ray.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Also, Yuyushki was the 99th anime I've finished watching. I wonder what should take the honour of being 100...
Do you want suggestions? I was considering suggesting Space Brothers or Polar Bear's Café but they're both kind of long. Also, they're kind of just random suggestions that popped into my head. I've heard people say that you shouldn't marathon Polar Bear's Café (not sure about Space Brothers) but when I watched it I didn't want to stop. They certainly both have slow paced aspects (perhaps more so with Polar Bear's Café), I suppose you could alternate watching them.

Or, you know, you could just watch whatever. I think if you try to hard to make these kinds of things "special" you're more likely to just feel bad about it in the long run.

On an unrelated note, don't forget to try Love Lab at some point. I don't know if you'd like it as much as Yuyushiki but it's worth watching.

Back