Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Thanks for the suggestions but I think I want to stay away from longer shows for a while. I really burnt myself out with the 50 episode Gundam Seed so I want to stick to the standard 13/24 episode shows for a little bit. I had thought about watching Hunter x Hunter as I haven't watched a Shounen in a while but at a fairly sizable 150 episodes, it's quite daunting.

Ha, funnily enough I was literally just about to recommend Hunter x Hunter. Don't let the length put you off if you can help it at all, I finished it recently and I can heartily say it's without a shadow of the doubt one of the Top 10 anime I've ever seen. It puts other Shonen series to shame.

If you want something shorter though - a few more to try if you haven't seen any of these:

Black Butler
Clannad
Kids in the Slope
Tsukihime
Black Rock Shooter
Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Freezing
Rozen Maiden

I second Hiatus x Hiatus, it really does put other Shonen to shame. It is long though but I thought the pacing was good.
Kids on the Slope was great too.
I'd suggest Baccano too since it's getting released by Anime Ltd as a CE blu-ray set later this year (and I liked the dub).

IncendiaryLemon said:
I've planned on watching Baccano for a while but as you say, I'm waiting on the Anime Ltd release which isn't looking like it's coming out any time soon.
Right, I thought you might be but I mentioned it anyway since I'm personally more of a watch then buy kind of guy and I recall seeing it on Grav's legal streaming list

Fair enough, I didn't know it was available for streaming. I tend to forget to look outside of what Crunchyroll has though if I'm honest if a show is supposed to be great, like Baccano, I'd like to watch it in full HD and with dub if preferable which is likely unavailable for free.

Might be just me, but I'd say Baccano is one you want to pay attention to (at least first time through). There's lots of fast cuts and time jumps. Can get confusing even when giving it your full attention...

Nekojiru-sou (Cat Soup): Review (2001, OVA, 1 Episode)
BpgHELLm.jpg
Cat Soup is a 2001 multi award-winning OVA by J.C.Staff and is directed by Tatsuo Sato and with a run-time of 34 minutes it’s pretty much one of the most psychedelic, strange and hallucinatory things that I’ve seen in the medium and I thoroughly enjoyed its company. Cat Soup revolves around a family of cats, in particular the main character, a kitten named Nyatta and his older sister, Nyako. The film starts off with Nyako passing away, and as her soul is being taken, her brother manages to retrieve half of it and returns it to her and she is resurrected, although brain-dead. The rest of the short as far as I’m aware is all about Nyatta going on a quest to retrieve the other half and bring his sister back to the way she was. What follows can only be explained as dreamlike in every sense of the word. Each scene is strung together by a sequence of bizarre events married with camera angles that distort the scenery and brings everything to life. The whole OVA reminded me a lot of one that I previously watched, Neo Tokyo or the Labyrinth labyrinthos short in particular. Both are dreamlike, surreal and engrossing as you fight to absorb it all in order to fully understand the meaning behind everything. But like many of the best works out there, maybe the truth is that there is no one true meaning behind the events that occur and they take place simply because they look interesting? Even so I truly do believe that even if that was the case, something has to be going on within the minds of the creators when conjuring up such vivid imagery.

Masaaki Yuasa of Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong and Mind Game fame is known for displaying a unique pallet of animation, much of which takes inspiration from western animation and Cat Soup especially resembles such European avant-garde films in both style and storytelling, meaning that it’s very experimental and abstract. I have to admit that this style of film-making is something that I both respect and admire so it was clear from the start that this was going to appeal to me, but even so I went in cold and unaware of what Cat Soup had in store for me, so it’s of course a delightful surprise that this short but sweet OVA delivered exactly that. Like many experimental films, audio plays an important role here, but as you can imagine that doesn’t mean that there’s a lot of it but that what is there is utilized appropriately. Instead of treating each element as a commodity, color, screen estate and sound are all used accordingly and not abundantly. If the goal is to foster a more intimate and active relationship with the viewer then Cat Soup succeeds here with flying colors. Not only are you pulled into the world but you actively want to know more about it and the intricacies. Cat Soup is constantly interesting to watch and full of imagery that keeps you interested and more importantly engaged which is the main thing here, because if a 34 minute OVA with basically no dialogue fails to capture your attention and keep the audience interested then it obviously has failed to do its job and goes to show the power of art and images.

As mentioned previously, audio is important here, and a vast majority of it is ambient sounds. The sounds of waves crashing against each other is both loud and powerful, the sounds of the winds brushing the trees is calm and soothing, the sounds of cicada singing, lots of sounds are utilized in order to create atmosphere. The music itself is what I’d call appropriate, as in its nothing remarkable but used well in order to supplement each scene. The music is still really nice and is composed by Hiroshi Ogasawara. I’m not going to be hunting out the soundtrack for this one but it’s still great to listen to and they did a great job in regards to the audio department here.

The animation here is without a doubt the main attraction, and it delivers on all accounts. The visuals are creative and eye-catching and a lot of perspective shifts from the viewers and the characters perspective are utilized to great effect in order to give the animation a certain flow. From exaggerated motion to all sorts of shots the frame is always interesting and eventful. Both psychedelic and hallucinatory every object that looks familiar acts and is manipulated in unfamiliar ways which definitely adds a sense of wonder to everything. “I wonder what’s going to happen next!” Hatching and various other animation techniques are used in order to give facial expressions an extra depth and layer. Every scene looks different and interesting and keeps you engaged throughout. Now although the cats look cute, Cat Soup contains imagery that’s very vivid to say the least. A woman is chopped up into pieces and put back together again by a God like character; the cat opens up a pig like a sack and removes a piece of its meat (loin) before cooking it in front of the anthropomorphic pig as it watches curiously before it eats a bit of itself happily. One scene in particular give me Hansel and Gretel vibes as a man lures the two cats into his house which is filled with all sorts of grotesque portraits of people being dissected hanging, feeds them and then lures them into a boiling stew (a literal Cat Soup) only to return in bondage gear, huge shears in hand ready to cut their heads off only to trip and fall into the stew himself as the kittens slowly but casually climb out and use said shears to cut the man up himself before leaving in a scene that reminds me of Courage the Cowardly Dog in visuals and style but crazy in content just as the rest of Cat Soup and although there’s many other crazy scenes I could talk about, it’s hard not to at least acknowledge the scene that shows the world in reverse as it depicts all sorts of scenes like people being executed…reversed…yeah it’s a strange one all right.

Really, Cat Soup is bizarre, strange and interesting to watch. The director himself has often stated that a lot of what transpires in Cat Soup is just purely random with no meaning whatsoever, but what I love about these types of works is how open they are to interpretation. Everyone has something to say about Cat Soup and a lot of theories can be conjured up for this film. In any case I implore you to come up with your own interpretation of this peculiar and very strange OVA of a cute cat venturing out into a bizarre world in order to retrieve the soul of his sister. Adorned in great, stylish and eye-catching visuals and at 34 minutes you’ll see some of the most vivid and interesting imagery in the medium, with many of it looking as if it arrived from a different part of the world all together. Some people see films and shows that are vague as pointless but I think that the joy comes from the journey that the viewer has and the meanings that you gather from your viewing is far from pointless.
Overall: 8/10

Story: 7
Animation: 9
Sound: 7
Character: 6
Enjoyment: 9

Recommended if you liked: Mind Game, Neo Tokyo, Robot Carnival, Genius Party, The Diary of Tortov Roddle.
And if you like this, watch the above.

Fantastic review qaiz :) Took me back! I caught Cat Soup randomly on Vimeo (or something like that) years ago .. blew my newbie mind. You've convinced me to revisit it now that I'm more ..seasoned.

Dannielle said:
Fantastic review qaiz :) Took me back! I caught Cat Soup randomly on Vimeo (or something like that) years ago .. blew my newbie mind. You've convinced me to revisit it now that I'm more ..seasoned.

Thanks, I'm glad that you liked it :) As you can tell Cat Soup and familiar OVA's are really my cup of tea (or bowl of soup...yeah I'm really bad D:), just something infatuating about watching something and coming up with your own meanings all the while enjoying the strange visuals. I can imagine it blowing your mind back in the day as it did mine just now, even after years of anime! You should check it out again, and if you haven't seen Neo Tokyo give that a watch too, amazing stuff :)

I guess these sort of OVAs must be tough and/or expensive to license. I know there have been a few experiments with releasing collections but it doesn't seem like they've been too successful, unfortunately. Maybe someone will figure out a way to do it with less effort and decent profit some day.

I got around to watching Aiura. I might go mad if I see another crab any time soon but otherwise it was pretty good fun. I think it could have worked quite well as a full-length series.

Finished Season 2 of the short anime "I can't understand what my husband is saying". Bloody fantastic, may have enjoyed the series more than the first. I would love to see a third. 8/10

qaiz said:
Dannielle said:

Thanks, I'm glad that you liked it :) As you can tell Cat Soup and familiar OVA's are really my cup of tea (or bowl of soup...yeah I'm really bad D:), just something infatuating about watching something and coming up with your own meanings all the while enjoying the strange visuals. I can imagine it blowing your mind back in the day as it did mine just now, even after years of anime! You should check it out again, and if you haven't seen Neo Tokyo give that a watch too, amazing stuff :)

Couldn't agree more. To be left to your own devices to figure out what happened, why,how, etc is very satisfying.

I shall be, thanks for bringing the OVA's back to my attention and I'll add Neo Tokyo to my ever expanding watch-list :p

Smeelia said:
I guess these sort of OVAs must be tough and/or expensive to license. I know there have been a few experiments with releasing collections but it doesn't seem like they've been too successful, unfortunately. Maybe someone will figure out a way to do it with less effort and decent profit some day.

I got around to watching Aiura. I might go mad if I see another crab any time soon but otherwise it was pretty good fun. I think it could have worked quite well as a full-length series.

Shame about OVA collections being unsuccessful, I would love to see that become a "thing" (Much like short Anime's too, the 3-4 minute long ones. I've always thought putting a bunch of those into one collection would be so rad though since joining this forum I've realized that's much MUCH harder than I originally thought)
I'll join you in that hopefulness :3

Black Lagoon

Watched both cours of this show, great fun. Second Barrage had two great arcs and one good one which elevates it over the first half of the series imo. Need more, Robertas Blood Trail will be bought, but 5 more episodes just isn't enough

9/10

Back