Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) - Episode 1

This review/rating will be a little confused, because after I watched the episode, I enjoyed it so much that I read the first 11 chapters of the manga, so some of my opinion may be based on what I know of the rest of the story.

This anime has really nice pacing in the first episode (in my opinion), and I loved the setting and premise. It was a simple one, but leads to an explorable depth to each of the characters that I quite enjoyed. The artwork is fantastic. I really like the colours, character and object designs, and the animation itself. It's certainly improved over the style of the manga. Although I was really young when I read it, this anime/manga reminds me a little of Spriggan/Striker.

Overall, I give this episode an 8/10, because although I like it, I had to remove at least a point due to the content (you'll know which part when you watch it).

Oreshura - 2/10

Probably one of the worst harem shows i've seen, it tried to break out of the RomCom harem tropes at the start but pretty much failed in every area, only to come back to them.

For example, the main character is not you dense MC but he is a chuunibyou underneath his rather enegetic personality, when he breaks into his chuunibyou self, the flaws of his characters are worser than a typical forgettable dense MC, I hated him.

Same goes for the Harem, when all of them appear around the mid-way point, they start to become really unlikeable and remain so until the end.

Worst still is that they do start to add harem tropes until the end - beach episode, embrassing cringy moments (one involving a cinema) and the completely stupid drama.

Some people say that, they simply found Oreshura fun to watch, this never happened to me, it's mindboggling that A-1 Pictures & the director of Bunny Drop was apart of this, this was abysmal.

Death Billiards (2013)

Mirai Project one-shot about two men who find themselves in a mysterious bar, where they are a forced to bet their lives on a game of pool. It's a great looking short that I feel is probably one of the strongest Mirai films yet and really marks out Yuzuru Tachikawa as a name to watch. Unfortunately, I felt it perhaps wasn't as profound as it might have liked to be and, without wanting to give anything away, I would have liked a final flourish to end on.

Jin-Roh

4/10

It just didn't connect with me at all. Probably because the type of film I was expecting only took place in the first and last 10 minutes.

Still, it looked great at least.

Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone

8/10

Whilst I'm pleased with some of the fat trimming it does feel like it misses a bit of buildup and could do with some slower pacing. It's still brilliant, though, capturing that same dark and intense feel of the original series and the animation looks bloody amazing for it too.

Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance

8/10

Damn, I love this franchise. Plenty of new stuff and there's a lot to like about it and it's very intriguing. Still has all the power of the original series too, the scene of Unit-01 destroying 02 to that song, as if they were children playing just haunting and horrifying.

Watching these has me seriously wanting to re-watch the show right this moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobobo

This series is annoyingly random, yes there's a story in it but the randomness of it was to much for me.

This series isn't even for lil kids it's so random.

I managed to get though it some how.

I really wouldnt recommend this series to anyone to be honest it's that bad.

Also the series was left with a cliff hanger I think * don't ask I don't know my self*

The only time I think you'd watch this is if you was on drugs because this is the sort of show that feels like it was made by someone who was on drugs

2/10

For those who like this show Im apologise for being harsh on this series but its not for me

Professor Irony said:
Death Billiards (2013)

Mirai Project one-shot about two men who find themselves in a mysterious bar, where they are a forced to bet their lives on a game of pool. It's a great looking short that I feel is probably one of the strongest Mirai films yet and really marks out Yuzuru Tachikawa as a name to watch. Unfortunately, I felt it perhaps wasn't as profound as it might have liked to be and, without wanting to give anything away, I would have liked a final flourish to end on.
I just finished watching this and was very impressed,no doubt the animation and presentation were top notch the whole thing looked and sounded beautiful and the setting was pretty cool,yeah as you said i was expecting another twist at the end after the first one lol,but it is a minor gripe and considering its short running time i think Yuzuru Tachikawa done a outstanding job and already has quiet an impressive cv of work to his name and going by this little short alone he is no doubt going to be a big name within the industry,fantastic stuff indeed,i,m going to be watching another two of the Mirai Project shorts asap,Little Witch Academia and Arve Rezzle:Kikaijikake no Yoseitachi and when i do i,ll post my comments on them,but i,ll give Death Billiards a well deserved 8/10.

Little Witch Academia and Aruvu Rezuru-Mechanized Fairies-Two more amazing pieces of animation from the Mirai Project 2013,Little Witch Academia is directed by Yoh Yoshinari who has a cv as long as your arm and then some and his experience really shows in this little short,a cute and funny little adventure about a all girls witch academy(i think the title was a give away),its bright and breezy and fast paced and has a very sharp and funny script and is full of quirky and cute characters who are screaming out for a full tv series awesome stuff.8/10.Now onto Aruvu Rezuru-Mechanized Fairies which was directed by Tatsuya Yoshihara and is based on a on going series of light novels which started in 2011,this is a complex little short that is no doubt made by someone who has watched to much Ghost in the Shell and Blade Runner and maybe some Lain thrown in for good measure,the story is about a girl called Shiki who,s body is in a body pool as its called while her brain is linked up to the net and is free to communicate with people while her body lies in preservation,one day there there is a service overload and the users bodies in there body pools are now empty shells,her brother Remu is worried and finally catches up with her but when he does things are not what they seem,it does well with its short running time and is executed very well but it is screaming out for a tv series or a full movie but what we have here is simply fasinating stuff.8/10.

The Snow Queen-Osamu Dezaki,s(R.I.P.)adaption of the classic Hans Christian Andersen story is nothing short of a masterpiece,the story is centered around Gerda and Kay two childhood friends,one day while playing in the snow Kay gets something in his eye thinking it was maybe just snow or ice he thinks nothing of it at the time but soon he start to change and becomes cold and distant from his family and even Gerda,the reason in this being that the mysterious Snow Queen who lives far north and to most is only a fairy tale had her magical mirror smashed which within it held the devil and the powers of evil,once smashed the shards of the mirror and the evil held within spread out across the world,the shards would place themselves within people or even objects bringing out the worst in people and bringing darkness and sadness to peoples lives.The snow queen one night comes and takes Kay away to her castle and keeps him there,his family and friends know nothing of this a think Kay has drowned one night and think he is dead,but young Gerda does not believe this and learns more about the snow queen,she then decides to travel north to the snow queens castle and find Kay,this is when the story truly begins and on her long quest she faces many hardships and see,s people and life in there darkest hour but she brings light and hope to the people she meets and changes the people around her for the better along her travels she meets up with a mysterious but kind travelling musician called Ragi and his pet wolf,it is not until the story progresses that we see how close and important the bond between Gerda and Ragi truly is.This is anime at its finest in every way from the animation,music to the story telling which is a wonder to behold,it is a epic masterpiece from a director who at the time was at the top of his game,this is now easily one of my all time fave series from my all time fave anime director,a heartwarming and magical adaption of a already classic story that will stay within your heart long after watching it.10/10.

animefreak17 said:
Bobobo

This series is annoyingly random, yes there's a story in it but the randomness of it was to much for me.

This series isn't even for lil kids it's so random.

I managed to get though it some how.

I really wouldnt recommend this series to anyone to be honest it's that bad.

Also the series was left with a cliff hanger I think * don't ask I don't know my self*

The only time I think you'd watch this is if you was on drugs because this is the sort of show that feels like it was made by someone who was on drugs

2/10

For those who like this show Im apologise for being harsh on this series but its not for me

Ah i miss this show! I used to watch it on Jetix back in the day. I will admit it's easy to see why people would dislike this.

Jin-Roh

4/10

It just didn't connect with me at all. Probably because the type of film I was expecting only took place in the first and last 10 minutes.

Ha, I remember watching Jin Roh years ago and feeling pretty much the same way. I was pretty young though, so I wouldn't mind re-watching it now to see if I appreciate it any more.

20thCenturyBoy said:
Jin-Roh

4/10

Still, it looked great at least.

Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone

8/10

Whilst I'm pleased with some of the fat trimming it does feel like it misses a bit of buildup and could do with some slower pacing. It's still brilliant, though, capturing that same dark and intense feel of the original series and the animation looks bloody amazing for it too.

Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance

8/10

Damn, I love this franchise. Plenty of new stuff and there's a lot to like about it and it's very intriguing. Still has all the power of the original series too, the scene of Unit-01 destroying 02 to that song, as if they were children playing just haunting and horrifying.

Watching these has me seriously wanting to re-watch the show right this moment.

Jin-Roh

I've watched it maybe 1 month ago and i felt disapointed to be honest. Maybe at the time it came out had something special, but i didnt feel anything when watching nowadays. I was expecting more action though it has nothing to do with my opinion of not being that great. Had some good story but i just wast disapointed in the end. Wasnt what i was expecting.

Eva movies were awesome, saw them this year too. I did watch the show long time ago but didnt got really a fan of it. But now after watching the movies, i was amazed with the animation and these, lets say, new visuals. Has a completely different feeling in my opinion. Can wait for the third to come out in japan. (cant believe im saying this about eva, not a big mecha or eva fan lol

Professor Irony said:
Death Billiards (2013)

It was gread indeed though the end could have been a bit better but hey, its just 25min. Great animation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Death Billiards was great to look at. If nothing else, I think it's set a great example of what can be achieved with the Mirai Project funding.

On which note:

Aruvu Rezuru - Mechanized Fairies

Third of the Mirai shorts, I was really expecting to enjoy this one more than I did, after reading Doraemon's review. There's an interesting idea behind it, but it felt more like the pilot film for a longer feature than a self-contained short. Setting aside the awkward relationship between the male lead and his 'sister', I felt the characters spent too long simply explaining the setting and backstory to each other. The artwork is interesting though, with the mix of heavy outlines and lost edges giving Shiki's design in particular a very retro look.

Actually, I'd be interested to know more about the project's history in general - the film itself bares little relation to the promo artwork on ANN.

Professor Irony said:
Yeah, Death Billiards was great to look at. If nothing else, I think it's set a great example of what can be achieved with the Mirai Project funding.

On which note:

Aruvu Rezuru - Mechanized Fairies

Third of the Mirai shorts, I was really expecting to enjoy this one more than I did, after reading Doraemon's review. There's an interesting idea behind it, but it felt more like the pilot film for a longer feature than a self-contained short. Setting aside the awkward relationship between the male lead and his 'sister', I felt the characters spent too long simply explaining the setting and backstory to each other. The artwork is interesting though, with the mix of heavy outlines and lost edges giving Shiki's design in particular a very retro look.

Actually, I'd be interested to know more about the project's history in general - the film itself bares little relation to the promo artwork on ANN.
Yeah just checked the ANN promo art you mentioned and as you said looks like a different show lol,yeah it was good and the idea was great but unlike most of the Mirai episodes which use there short running time and use it well and fit in charming little stories that can still say a lot and still hold meaning,this idea was maybe just to big to cram into what would probably make a great and interesting feature length movie.

Good Morning Althea

Space setting. Invincible foe. Long-sealed humanoid weapon that may be the survivor’s only hope. And a fifty-minute runtime to make it all work. And they make it work. There’s an efficiency at work here, where the story is substantial enough without being plodding, and the action scenes are flashy enough without being vapid.

Over and above this, there’s also a sense of honesty to this production. It’s like it is fully aware that it was never going to be a fullblown masterpiece, but at the same time wasn’t deterred from delivering the best it could be. The end result does more right than wrong, so it gets 7/10.

Grey: Digital Target

My first instinct was to call this cheesy, only I didn’t quite know what “cheesy” meant. So off to Urban Dictionary I went, where I found this:

1. cheesy

This is an important word and nobody has it right yet. What it means is: Trying too hard, unsubtle, and inauthentic.

Specifically that which is unsubtle or inauthentic in its way of trying to elicit a certain response from a viewer, listener, audience, etc. Celine Dion is cheesy because her lyrics, timbre, key changes, and swelling orchestral accompaniment telegraph 'i want you to be moved' instead of moving you. Gold chains on an exposed hairy chest are cheesy because they shout out: "I have money and I am manly" instead of impressing a woman in a more subtle way, or allowing a woman to form her own judgments. The excessive showing off suggests he's compensating for what he does not have--i.e., he's actually poor, insecure, or short with an inferiority complex. Cliches are often cheesy because they are an obvious and artless way of making a point. A movie might be cheesy if it contains 'on the nose' dialogue, like "I can't live without you" or "You had me at hello."

Now I’m not so sure. It’s not like this is trying too hard to create a desolate hopeless wasteland where people must fight and kill to advance in society. The central messages of war being bad and that authority must never be blindly followed, these are frequently brought forward in a not always very subtle way. There’s violence and destruction aplenty, with no small amount of melodrama added to the mix. But in the end they are drowned out by the sheer pulp entertainment value of the production. Then we must go back to the central messages, which are still as salient today as ever.

Now that I think about it, was I thinking “cheesy” because I went in expecting this to be some meaningful masterpiece? It couldn’t be, because my expectations were already of the aforementioned pulp entertainment, which Grey: Digital Target did deliver in an erudite fashion. So the argument over its cheesiness is rendered dead in the water and it receives 7/10.

bakum4tsu said:
Jin-Roh

I've watched it maybe 1 month ago and i felt disapointed to be honest. Maybe at the time it came out had something special, but i didnt feel anything when watching nowadays. I was expecting more action though it has nothing to do with my opinion of not being that great. Had some good story but i just wast disapointed in the end. Wasnt what i was expecting.

Eva movies were awesome, saw them this year too. I did watch the show long time ago but didnt got really a fan of it. But now after watching the movies, i was amazed with the animation and these, lets say, new visuals. Has a completely different feeling in my opinion. Can wait for the third to come out in japan. (cant believe im saying this about eva, not a big mecha or eva fan lol

Yeah, I was definitely expecting a lot more action from Jin-Roh. Like I said, first and last 10 minutes were more akin to what I was anticipating. Perhaps wouldn't be a bad idea if some Hollywood studio suddenly decided they were going to make a live action version and turned it into a dark action flick.

I was always sceptical about Eva since many liked to claim it as being one of the best shows ever (whenever I hear that about anything I immediately go into "counter" mode). But I finally got round to watching it last year and I bloody well loved it! Never been a big Mecha fan either (haven't really tried any, it's something else on my "to watch/try" list) but Eva was about so much more than that so it didn't really matter to me.

Little Witch Academia

This was actually a pleasant surprise. Going on the name, I was gritting my teeth for more moe nonsense, but it feels more like the start of a smart little series for older kids. I get the feeling that Studio Trigger are taking their cues from the west again, as there's something in the design work that made me think more of animation produced for the American or European market than the likes of Zero no Tsukaima or Quiz Magic Academy.

Professor Irony said:
Little Witch Academia

This was actually a pleasant surprise. Going on the name, I was gritting my teeth for more moe nonsense, but it feels more like the start of a smart little series for older kids. I get the feeling that Studio Trigger are taking their cues from the west again, as there's something in the design work that made me think more of animation produced for the American or European market than the likes of Zero no Tsukaima or Quiz Magic Academy.

When I finished it, I said Harry Potter + Monster Hunter = Little Witch Academia :D.

Such a great short and truly shows Studio Triggers potential for future projects, I would somehow love to see it become a TV series in the future.

Yeah, I think it definitely felt like it would have the mileage in it for a series. Seems like the sort of thing that would be popular too.

Changing the subject ever so slightly, youtube have nixed our unlimited upload limit again, so for the time being, this week's Double Feature video will only be available on blip.tv:

Double Feature - Vamp Vs. Vampire Hunter D

http://blip.tv/area-shifty-bun/vamp-vs- ... re-6570375

100% guarantee that nothing sparkled during this episode.

Back